SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex_rose96

Need help on kitchen design

Alexandra Larose
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Good evening!

I've already posted about my kitchen here, to know if I should let go of the uppers each side of the range and add windows instead. So I've decided on this option and moved on on the kitchen design. So the house will be a new built in eastern Canada (quebec) on a 10 acres lot, half fields, half forest. We want this house to be simple and really axed on the outdoors. We also have a dog (and will probably have more) and plan on having kids so it is important that everything is really "livable".

So the house plans are not yet completed 100%, but it is a simple cottage with a basement (780 sq ft), ground floor (780 sq ft) and living attic (560 sq ft). The inspiration for material and colors are scandinavian cottages, "summer houses". Black metal roof, black siding and white trims. I want to bring that feeling inside so I'm going with 10" large larch flooring (which is also local) on the open living space on the ground floor.

My kitchen will be 13' x 15' open to both living room and dinning room. I plan to have a massive island (84" long by 50" deep) with seating facing the south windows. Dinning room is north-east, kitchen east-south and living room south-west (no west windows to minimise solar gain (overheating) in summer) and wood burning fireplace on west wall.

I was thinking about doing the ikea laxarby cabinets with the ikea real butcher block, and have two of them glued together to make my kitchen island countertop (My friend did it and it turned awesome, can't see the line at all). I really wanted ikea farmhouse sink but they don't seem to have it anymore. So a little bummed there?

Has for the backsplash, I have no clue what to do. I have no uppers, big windows, range on east wall... They often seem to do the metro on this design, don't know if I should go with the flow or be more original? I really wanted to have a cottage feel, maybe a bit farmhouse, so I was also looking at cement tiles, but maybe too heavy and what about going around all those windows with it? Or terracota, maybe a pattern behind range and keep the same tiles but all white for the rest?

So... what do you think overall, any suggestions for farmhouse sink that could fit Ikea cabinets or ideas for the backsplash? Also what kind of knobs/pulls? I don't want to pick Ikea, so it is not too «ikea kitchen».

Huge thanks!!

(quick plans I did with the ikea planner, couldn't put the fridge pannels, and for the island there will be a 12" overhang and was thinking of doing something more custom for sides, like this, in moody grey or stained wood?)

Comments (15)

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA