SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmpsd

Need help! Questions about tile in master bath/shower

dmpsd
6 years ago

I posted this yesterday, but it looks like it went to the flooring section, not bathrooms, so I am trying again. Thanks in advance.

Hi. The shower pan in our master bath is leaking so we are redoing the 25-year-old bathroom. We have decided on dark walnut cabinets and are now picking tile for the bathroom floor and shower. I have two questions.

1. How will natural stone hold up on the shower floor? Decorator has recommended small hex tiles that are a mix of limestone and marble for the shower floor. Will these be damaged by hard water or shampoos? Are the cleaning materials that can be used on limestone/marble strong enough to clean the grout? Will it be damaged if somebody tinkles while taking a shower? What if I wash my dog in the shower?

2. Any guidance on choosing same or different tiles for the bathroom floor and the shower walls? Decorator recommended a beige tile for the bathroom floor and a whitish tile for the shower walls. I like both tiles -- just not sure I like them together!! I wonder if I would be better off using the same tile. (Of course, I don't want to use beige everywhere because I don't want that much beige in the bathroom and I am not sure it would be practical to use white on the bathroom floor.)

Picture of bathroom floorplan and tiles are below. Sorry my photo skills are lacking.

This is the existing floorplan. When we redo it, we are going to get rid of the angles on the vanities so the sinks will be on the walls opposite the tub and the vanities will be square. We are also eliminating the step up to the tub.

These are the hex tiles the decorator recommends along with the recommended floor tile. The carpet in this picture will be removed from the bathroom but will remain in the adjacent bedroom.

This is the white tile recommended for the shower walls.

Here is the proposed bathroom floor tile, shower wall tile and shower floor tile all together.

Many thanks for any thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.

Comment (1)