SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
godswood

Artwork placement thoughts

Godswood
6 years ago

I just moved in to my new build and am in the process of decorating. I miffed from a pretty traditional verging on transitional contemporary to my transitional modern home. Some of my furnishings were able to make the cross over and some will slowly need to be phased out.

After building I am really struggling with putting holes in the walls to hang artwork. I want the placements to be right the first go around.

I am currently looking for large scale abstract canvases in blacks, greys, oranges, and/or purples. Of course, other colors are welcome (except red and yellow). I also need a coffee table. I currently have a concrete end table for between the two couches, very traditional brown/mahogany leather sofas for the upstairs den (I hope to find new main level living room furniture in the near future (I just had time to look, perhaps next winter) and move the existing living room furniture upstairs and gift the leather couches to a brother). I need bedside end tables and also a new bed frame eventually as my existing bed feels too traditional. I have an entry table but will need to decorate it.

I like abstract, bright, minimalistic yet powerful art and currently have a blank slate.

Measurements at end of post.

What are your artwork and furniture suggestions and locations for my space?

From stair landing looking towards front door. Dining table will be under the light at the far right. I plan to place entry table on long wall to left of front door and closet door. Next door is to my office, then next door is to guest bath and laundry and mechanical. Far wall to right of front door is 18' high. I would love a giant art of some kind here. I also need coffee table, lamps for side tables, and 1 more side table.

I was thinking about making something like this for entire wall:

This is a view from dining area/ front door to kitchen:

Under the stairs 2nd landing I plan to put my record player and albums. The 2nd landing is 7' high and it's a neat space. The space between the walls and tall column is 35" on both sides. How else should I decorate it? I currently do not have a record console either.

View of 2nd level living room / den where the leather sofas will go. TV and console on wall to the right. On far right where the cut out is, there will be a ladder to 3rd floor loft space. Accent paint color is a dusty grey purple. Art suggestions?

2nd floor den, future ladder on left side. In this room I'd like to also put in a game/puzzle table.

Looking back at den from master suite. I would like to decorate this hall somehow. Suggestions?

Master suite from hall, French doors to deck, door in middle is to closet. Art above bed? Art between closet and French doors? If I put the hexagon art up the dining room wall, it will be visible in this space. I have a chaise lounger that goes in the carpet indentation on front right. There will be a hanging bedside light from blue circle near closet door. Accent paint color is a charcoal grey with dark green undertones.

This is the wall the hexagon art would go on:

Master suite looking back at hall to den. Bedside hanging light will be higher, door on right is to same closet, 1/2 cracked door is to master bathroom. Wall art? Is bed too traditional?

Master suite last view, bathroom door to right, chaise lounger goes in carpet indentation at middle left.

Main level from kitchen to front door in 48' across.

Living room area measures: 16' x 1212' but can be larger or smaller depending on furniture placement.

Long entry wall is: 14'

Tall dining wall is 8' x 18' in opening (where like substantial artwork) and from wall to front door is 11' long.

Den measures: 18' x 20' and TV wall is 15' long

Hall is 8' x 5'

Master is 20' x 20'

Thank you in advance for making it this far and for any suggestions and ideas you have to offer! Truly appreciated!

Comments (62)