SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mindy_wiegand

Little boy's budget dream science room/Let me know what you think!

Mindy Wiegand
6 years ago

Our little boy loves to dream and learn, and Science is his favorite. So much of this room was DIY, so that helped our budget so much! Let me know what you think!

Learning Wall: DIY Artwork on flat canvases, DIY artwork by the room's tenant :), Stained 1x10 for bookshelf, DIY framework around erasable maps and whiteboard. Hanging storage containers from IKEA.

Desk/Toy Storage Wall: Floating Desk from Amazon (most expensive purchase, I think $130), more hanging organizers from IKEA, Chalkboard calendar from Hobby Lobby, Desk Chair IKEA (like $15), DIY Science curtains (Cheap blackout curtains from Amazon and Iron on vinyl designs), DIY Toy Bin painted in chalkboard paint. The floating desk really helps save space!

Planet/Bed Wall: DIY Headboard made from reclaimed wood. Has shelf for storage with outlet for charging devices. DIY Planet Wall with handpainted discs ($10 total), DIY Artwork on flat canvases, Night sky map from thenightsky.com (second most expensive purchase), refinished art deco dresser (will have leather drawer pulls made from belt and galvanized bolts), DIY shelving from stained 1x10s.

Close up of planet wall

Close up of reclaimed wood headboard with power

Close up of DIY chalkboard toy storage chest

Locker storage area: DIY Shelving from stained 1x10s, Gray bins from IKEA, DIY hat hook display from reclaimed wood and hooks, Folding hooks from IKEA, Laboratory style switchplate from Etsy (third most expensive purchase at $20)

The whole room cost less than $600, and the only items that were in the room to start with were the bed, under bed frame, and dresser. The wood for the shelving, toy chest, and headboard frame was the most expensive purchase at around $150 (but worth it to have furniture made of solid wood for us), then the desk at $130. I consider it a pretty cheap budget to completely furnish and remodel a room! Let me know what your thoughts are!

Comments (28)