SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Howard Van Doren Shaw Glencoe Home Nears Demolition Date

DLM2000-GW
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Well this is really sad news from my home town, just a few blocks from where I grew up. I knew people who lived in the area, not in that house, but we'd use their stairs to access the private beach. Gorgeous home with details never to be replicated in the replacements.

Here's a link to the story

Here's a link with more pictures

Comments (8)

• madpebs87
    6 years ago

sad to see it will be blown up, but sure looks like a COLD house to live n.....

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Furnished and decorated (and with that kitchen re-done!) I think it would be a lovely home. Huge. Formal. Expensive to maintain. Not my style at all but lovely none-the-less.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

Lovely, but out of my range... And not exactly cozy anyway. Sad that it would go, though.

• bpath
    6 years ago

I think there was another story about it an another local paper. They had presented to the zoning commission an explanation of how the existing layout just didn't work, and there was no way to modernize the layout, may as well tear it down. I guess I get it, my parents' house while not on THE lakefront (though it is on a lake just a few miles away from this one) certainly doesn't suit today's buyer, and it was built in 1970. I fully expect it to be torn down when it sells.

The funny thing is, though the existing house is probably expensive to renovate and maintain, building a new house (including permits and demolition and the whole legal process AND maintenance on the other end) can't be any cheaper. I know, it's not about the money, it's about what they want.

It does make me sad to see these treasures go. My favorite way home from Chicago or Evanston is up Sheridan Road. It "soothes the soul". The new builds just don't have the same feel. I always dreamed of living in one of the coach houses...then when I grew up I learned what they go for. Ouch.

omg, i reread it, and it's a developer who's demolishing? Oh, that really breaks my heart.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good catch, bp - I totally missed that window! Yikes! You get it. the coach houses were part of my dreams, too. Sheridan was always my preferred route going north or south unless the final destination was far enough west to make another road or the Edens worth it. funny, I used to think of Sheridan as the winding road and then I moved to WNC! With the exception of the Ravines, Sheridan is practically part of a grid compared to here! Oh good grief - look what I just found - why this dude didn't have the camera facing forward is beyond me. You can't get any sense of the road :-/ And he even mentions NC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pryGwF8_TvM

• bpath
    6 years ago

DLM, you're right, that ride doesn't show the full effect! There's nothing like driving the ravines in the fall, or after a fresh snow (not TOO much snow). So pretty, and lovely properties. Even the subdivides and infills built in the 60s are so cool. I have several favorites along the way. I used to think the ravines was so long, but now when I drive it I realize how short the ravine part really is. Childhood impressions! But the rest is still a delight.

Those large lakefront properties are a tough sell these days. My realtor friend is handling one, and the creativity, offering it for private events just to generate interest and publicity, is tiring.

• worthy
    6 years ago

I'm sure there's a sentimental value for residents. But it's not one of the architect's finest moments. Can't imagine that window is anything but a later "improvement". The dated and mostly unoriginal interior is dreadful. It always surprising how some people of great wealth have absolutely no taste whatsoever!

Here's another of Shaw's better efforts.

James Henry Breasted House, 1904, Chicago. arch.Howard Van Doren Shaw