SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
collectorguru

Help me understand hardwood floor refinishing options please!

Design2 girl
6 years ago

We are doing a reno and refinishing existing 2 1/4 " red oak flooring downstairs and we added new red oak flooring upstairs. Our pro floor man sampled Minwax stain colors and we chose Provincial. Went out of town thoroughly expecting to come home to gorgeous floors, but the pics he sent set off an alarm because the floors appeared very light in the original photos. We had agreed on a water based poly to avoid "yellowing" of the floors and he recommended Bona Traffic.

Currently, the floors have had 1 coat of Bona Drifast (not Minwax like the sample) Provincial stain, and a Bona sealant placed on them. He said they need to be lightly sanded and then 3 coats of Bona Traffic finish will be applied.

Is this adequate? Is this durable? Is this a finish that will be sufficient over a long period of time?

I do feel like the Bona Provincial is lighter than the Minwax color. Can anybody compare those 2 colors? Please tell me if you recommend a satin or a matte finish, I'm not a huge fan of shiny floors.

This is our current situation.

This is our group of samples

We chose #2

Here are the products applied:

How does Bona compare to Minwax?

Comments (25)