SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

VERY OT - Weird Californian lifestyle!!

beachem
6 years ago

This is the only forum I hang in so I thought I would share.

I was getting coffee this morning and happened to see the front window for our local animal hospital. I live in Southern California and are used to separate banks for wives and mistresses as well as loads of cosmetic surgery. Shallowness is the name of the game here but.....

The animal hospital advertised standard procedures of grooming, vaccinations, surgery, acupuncture and laser cosmetic surgery.

I could understand acupuncture for pets with arthritis. I used acupuncture and it had been amazing in resolving long term issues that wasn't solved by Western medicine.

But..... laser cosmetic surgery? I can't even come up with any possible situation. Cataract?

Many people here treat their pets (mostly dogs) like humans with spas, vacations at special ranches, and special medical classification of their pets as service animals so they can take them everywhere especially restaurants.

My BiL is one of these with two of his dogs classified as such. His doctor certified that they are a medical necessity for him to have them everywhere. They are chihuahuas. In fact, his dogs have no idea how to walk anymore as they're carried all the time. Whenever I get handed one of them and put them down, the poor dog would look at me in confusion but I refuse to carry a dog around nonstop.

I loved my dog and cat but I never went to those lengths. I did daily IV infusion for 5 years but that was to keep the cat alive so that was more medical care.

Is this extreme pet care widespread now in the US? or is it just in California. What about New York? I will have to ask my best friend in NYC. She has 8 cats but they were all rejects with severe medical problems that her vet convinced her to adopt over a number of years.

Comments (39)