SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petuniafish

Got what I paid for from Fast Growing Tees

Nancy
6 years ago

Received a crispy Gold Nugget mandarin that I had ordered in the middle of winter, which wasn't surprising. But FGT said they'd replace it if it didn't survive the trip. And it didn't obviously with what happened last week. But upset with myself for being overly optimistic about the size of this little tree. It was described as being 12-24" tall, and it's exactly 15" right what I paid for. For $53 minus shipping ($79 with) it's pretty minimalist. The variegated lemon from Target that was $18 with shipping was bigger than this. FGT is refunding my $ which I don't deserve. I was stupid.

I'm sure their trees are wonderful, and grateful to get a refund, but in future hope to remember that what you see is what you get. I'll stick with FW.

Comments (52)

• Ike Stewart
    6 years ago

It is hard to see from that photo, but that tree may still make it with only loss of leaves, I certainly would not throw it out yet.

Nancy thanked Ike Stewart
  • Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks Ike. I'll save it as you suggest. It would be even more foolish of me if I tossed it and it was still alive under there.

Denise, I've had a few of those heat sacks sent with some outdoor plants this winter. But only spent 3-4 days in the box and they did fine. I've heard that the max you can trust them to keep heat is about 4 days.

Steve- learned my lesson and nicely it didn't cost me anything but embarrassment. Thanks for the reinforcement about FGT. Any thoughts about Brite Leaf?

OK, no more trees (except when FW gets Gold Nugget back in). But interestingly I also got my second variegated lemon from Target today. It's beautiful even though it spent 3 days in Indianapolis over the weekend. And it's taller than the FGT tree- 18 inches. It's $18.99.

• Related Discussions

How fast do hibs grow from seed?

Q

Comments (4)
    Hey Margaret, I was tempted to winter sow them but chickened out, lol. I have hardies, Southern Belle mix. Only had 10 seeds, so I didnt want to try my luck outside. From what I read, starting these inside early, I should have blooms this summer. This is my first year starting seeds so early inside. Normally I wait till Early April and sow on my enclosed back porch. I hope I dont lose these. Which kinds do you have? Daniella
    ...See More

Free H. callistophylla - did I get what I paid for?

Q

Comments (14)
    For anyone who is new to ordering Hoya cuttings through the mail. There are a few things that can go wrong but they are not the fault of the sellers. When cuttings are packaged up and mailed out in a box or padded envelope they can experience dramatic fluctuations in temperature and humidity while in the mail. High humidity and high temperatures is all that fungi needs to begin attacking a cutting. Perhaps a dip in a fungicide solution would prevent this but not all sellers are going to go to these legnths. Also fungi are almost all opportunistic organisms although there are some species that are predatory on nematodes or that lure and infect insects. Because fungal spores are basically everywhere it is far better to fight fungal disease by adopting good cultural practices vs using fungicides unless disease has been diagnosed. A fan running in your grow space will do wonders to keep fungi at bay. For minor fungal infections cinnamon made into a paste with water works well. For serious problems there are chemicals such as Captan available but these are toxic and you should not use them unless you have to. Mike
    ...See More

What is this awful fast growing grass?

Q

Comments (8)
    Painting on the round up really works well especially if the weeds are all in the same area . You could also cut the bottom off a 20 oz (or smaller) soda bottle, securely place it over your wand sprayer, then focus spray the weed. I think I got this from j4c11, not sure - but it worked very well. This was a very efficient way to cover a large area that was dotted with various weeds.
    ...See More

How Fast do TTTF Roots Grow?

Q

Comments (6)
    While tall fescue roots CAN go as deep as 36", root growth is proportional to the amount of top growth. If you let the grass get tall (say 18-24"), you may very well get roots that deep. However, in a home lawn scenario where mowing occurs frequently, 8-12 inches is probably as deep as they're going to get, and that's the optimistic estimate after a few years. Typically, you see 6-8 inches. A couple of things about watering. I recommend watering when grass shows signs of drought stress rather than by set interval. This insures you go as long as possible between watering while taking all variables into consideration : temperature, soil type, grass age etc. If it's showing drought stress, it's time to water, whether you last watered 3 days ago or a month ago. More info here Summer is not a time for root growth for cool season grasses. Once soil temps hit 77, root growth ceases. Encourage root growth in the fall and spring, and work towards keeping the grass alive during summer. What I mean by that is, making the grass suffer in hopes of root growth is useless. If it shows signs of drought stress after 3 days, water. See above. In regards to your grass dying, it may have very well been fungus. We don't know. But once killed by fungus, fungicide will not bring it back, it will just prevent further damage to grass that's still alive. If you live in the transition zone, you should seriously consider a preventive fungicide program starting May.
    ...See More
  • Denise Becker
    6 years ago

I went to FGT to see where they located and noticed they have growing grounds in different states which surprised me. They even have a place here in GA. Nancy, where did your tree ship from? They have a place in Oregon, but probably don't have citrus there.

Nancy thanked Denise Becker
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

Briteleaf should have excellent trees.

Nancy thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi again Denise. They do have citrus at FW in Winters CA. I didn't realize that they have grounds all over. Mine came from Winters so they told me. They get here in 2-3 days.

Thanks Steve- Brite Leaf's prices are too good to be true. Like $20 for a 30-32" Moro "as shipped". Maybe that's the size of the box. Still a great price. They're out of everything that's terribly desirable but such a deal.

• Ike Stewart
    6 years ago

I know a small tree does not have the energy stores of a large in ground tree, however I wanted to tell you about one of my mature in ground Satsuma trees which is planted in an exposed location and took hit from a harder than forecast freeze a year or two ago. The following spring I thought half the tree was dead, as no leaves had came back on any of the branches on one of the main limbs that amounted to the north half of the tree. I kept putting off trimming back the "dead" wood, did not want to go out and do it during the heat of the summer. Then when the weather started to cool down a bit in September I went out with the saw to prune away the "dead" wood, just to find fresh vegetation growing on about 2/3 of what I would have cut away a month or two earlier.

• Denise Becker
    6 years ago

Nancy, I was referring to Fast Growing Trees having growing grounds in different states not Four Winds Growers. Four Winds is only in CA.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well Ike, you've inspired me. I retrieved the tree out of the compost pile, and gave the roots a nice tepid bath. Planted in just a 1 gallon container for now since it's so petite- warmed up the 5:1:1 before potting. Disturbed the roots as little as possible and re-potted. Inspecting it a little more closely have some hope especially since hearing your story. Like you say it'll lose it's leaves but who knows about the "deadwood"? And if by chance it survives it's a free plant ;)

• User
    6 years ago

$79 for that? They should be charging that for the pink variegated lemon LOL. Glad you got it sorted out. They've come back from a stick , never give up unless the base and roots have dried up.

Nancy thanked User
  • Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Matt. For some reason for the price I paid some how thought even though it was described as being 12-24 inches, thought I'd get something a little bigger maybe. Silly me. Was preparing a place of honor for it among my other trees. Waiting on a Miho Wase Satsuma from Logees that I paid $35 with shipping. Will post a pic to compare.

• Ike Stewart
    6 years ago

In a good environment they can grow fast and may be that 24 inches before summer

Nancy thanked Ike Stewart
  • Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Even the Target tree is crumping. Put them a corner away from the lights and will baby the two.

• Kelley_GA8a
    6 years ago

Nancy, oh no! How long have you had the variegated lemon? I almost ordered a sanguinelli from Logees, but I forcefully made myself wait until spring after reading your original post. Hope they both pull through ok!

Nancy thanked Kelley_GA8a
  • Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kelley,

Bought the first variegated lemon in November and it's really pretty- lots of new growth. This second one came yesterday and I really should have waited till March. Target's great about it tho and will send me a new one in March free. Understand your need to forcefully refrain from buying especially with Logees last sale. But Logees too said they'll replace anything that freezes. I bought a Miho Wase Satsuma during the sale. Hasn't arrived yet, and it's mean of me to put the poor tree through this. Very best to you! :-)

• Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is what a little tree is supposed to be. This arrived today- cute little Miso Wase Satsuma- from Logees. Bought it with the 20% off sale they had a few weeks ago. Very healthy- no frost damage. About 30" tall held upright.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

I’d call and ask them. I spoke to them last year sometime and many of the new varieties they are offering are actually FW trees. I think that is one of those varieties. Another big nursery I’ve ordered from does that too ( I forget the name now). You buy from them but they ship from FW. Did you check where the box came from?

• Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Laura....this came from Connecticut. All the way to Oregon in 3 days, The weather's been pretty mild in the west but wondering where it would have stopped along the way. Nothing mentioned in the tracking but CT, MA and OR. It was remarkably fresh when I opened, like it just came out of the greenhouse an hour ago.

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    6 years ago

Nancy, what size pot is that? They sell citrus which they propagate and mostly in 4 inch pots.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, it was a 4".

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

Petunia, I was talking about the one from Fast trees. I know fast growing trees grow and graft some varieties on the east coast, but their new offerings (like the pixie) come from FW. I know bc I got a pixie myself from them this year and it came from FW growers. It took longer than the other trees I got from them - totally separate shipment and it was a FW tree.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ohhhhh. Yes recently FW had Gold Nugget and they were suddenly out of it. They were prob committed to FGT. I'm sure this would have been an entry size at FW ($22) vs this same one at FGT ($53). As Steve said FGT can burn a hole in your pocket and you get a lot less.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

Yes, I am sure of it because I spoke to FGT before I ordered the pixie and they said it came from FW in California. I specifically asked them because I was worried about the week in transit. FGT factors shipping into the price to entice you to buy more and spend $99 or whatever they want for "free" shipping. I will say that the trees they grow on their grounds are not bad. I guess some would consider them overpriced, but I have several meyer lemon trees from them which are lovely trees.

• Kelley_GA8a
    6 years ago

Nancy....I ordered a Genoa lemon this morning from FGT. All self control lost! :) At least it will be coming from their SC facility - should be short shipping to me in GA.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

Kelly, did you ask them about that? That is another of their offerings from the FW catalog, although I could be mistaken. I have one from FW and it is a lovely tree. Congratulations and enjoy!

• Kelley_GA8a
    6 years ago

Laura, I did not - I was too giddy with excitement! Think I will email them and ask. Have you tried the fruit yet? I’m still waiting on an ST from FW, but I want all of the Italian lemon varieties! We are even discussing going back to the Amalfi region so that I can attemp to bring back a few seeds. The lemons over there are ridiculous!

• Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Si Signore! It is hard for me to resist FGT even tho their prices seem relatively high Kelley. Excited for you and your Genoa. We love the Amalfi/Sorrento area too, The ST and Gold Nugget are the last I promised husband I'd get and hoping FW will have soon. Please post a pic of your Genoa when it arrives :-)

I've been hankering for a blood orange from FW and couldn't wait any longer so bought a teeny grafted one on ebay from what sounds like a decent grower in Missouri. It arrived yesterday- very cute.

Nancy

• Kelley_GA8a
    6 years ago

I’d love to see a picture of your new blood orange! What variety is it?

• jinnylea
    6 years ago

Kelly, I hope you receive a lovely looking and healthy Genoa Lemon tree from them. :)

I have a 4 year old Genoa from Four Winds that I really like and it came with a few fruit that I picked off just before they were completely mature and they were not very juicy but the juice I did get was nicely acidic. The peel smelled nicely of lemon, not as strong as the ST but still nice! I currently have three lemons on the Genoa tree that I am patiently waiting for to ripen. It seems to take forever for them to grow and mature.. I am planning on using the juice and zest to make a lemon meringue pie .

Here are a few current pictures.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kelley, it's a Moro blood orange. Very nice root system. 11" high. Could have waited for an entry with FW but I was impatient and impulsive. This was $27 with shipping. The larger entry size at FW $35 w shipping. If you are interested message me for the seller's name. They do have other trees :-)

Jinny, should not have seen and heard about your Genoa from FW! Fortunately they are out of stock. Can smell your yummy lemon meringue pie.

Nancy

• jinnylea
    6 years ago

Lovely Moro tree, Nancy! You are racking up quite a collection! :)

Nancy, I have made 2 lemon meringue pies in the past 2 weeks using store bought lemons. We like a strong lemon flavor and the pie is addictive! One of the hubbys favorite pies, next to cheesecake! ;) I look forward to the day that my trees start producing more fruit!

• nulesm
    6 years ago

Jinnylea and Petuniafish very nice looking tree's . Awesome catch Petuniafish , love the fruit on your lemon tree Jinnylea.

Brian

• Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jinny and Brian, the little Moro is the smallest tree I've ever had, but I like the idea of nurturing it into something more impressive :-)

• nulesm
    6 years ago

Petuniafish it's a beautiful very straight up tree and after this spring and summer it won't be so little anymore. This is the size of tree I always purchase.

Brian

• Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Brian :-) I'm really excited about it. And your trees are so spectacular!

• Kelley_GA8a
    6 years ago

Jinny, what beautiful lemons they are and will be! Thank you for the kind words and the information! I did not have the patience to wait for spring :).

Nancy, that Moro looks great! I’m with Brian - I prefer the smaller trees until I can get my greenhouse set up. I would love the seller’s information, thank you! I’ll message you now.

• Kelley_GA8a
    6 years ago

I’m not exactly sure how to message on Houzz using a mobile phone, but I will try on my laptop when I get home.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kelley, for some reason the messaging is not working in my profile. Here's my email: petuniafish at gm ail dot com

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

Jimmy, that’s a pretty tree! My Genoa was a one year FW tree, but it was very healthy and has grown lots. It is now covered with old blooms. I can’t reach it at the moment for close inspection (lol), but I’ll remove fruitlets if necessary when I take it out this spring. My Lisbon from harris has quite a few fruits. It’s the smallest of the lemons in the pic.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

Oops. Sorry sorry....I got confused...here it is :

the other three are meyers and in the other pic as well. The small yellow fruit is a very ripe giant key lime I found on the floor. The others I picked to lighten the load on my stressed out trees. Brian, I think of you every time I eat one of the incredible tangelos...wow!!

• jinnylea
    6 years ago

Thanks Kelley, Laura and Brian! Laura, nice haul! Are the dark orange fruit in the foreground Tangelos? How do you like the Lisbon, and how does it compare to the ST Lemon?

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

Thanks Jinny! Yes, the orange ones are tangelos. I adore them! I will do a side by side comparison for you Jinny. I’ve not tasted the Lisbon yet. It’s a young tree, but at least this harvest, the ST lemons are about twice the size.

• nulesm
    6 years ago

Laura beautiful pic of all your fruit , citrus fruit really do make great pictures. Laura you made my Friday so glad that your happy with your Minneola Tangelo they are an incredibly delicious fruit and your going to have so much fruit from your tree in a year or two . Funny how they really sweeten up in our climate while my Satsuma tastes like sweetened water not great . You will love the Page fruit also very sweet , my Page will be ready in a few weeks so looking forward. Have a great weekend.

Brian

• Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sure can always tell that you are a professional photographer Laura. And those fruits are beautiful.

Brian, just saw some Pages at Market of Choice and foolishly didn't buy any. I live so far from things -90 min from home to even get Satsumas. Walked out regretful. Next time I'll grab some and think of your beautiful trees.

Just bought a Gold Nugget from FW a few minutes ago as they are finally being released. Still hopeful as Ike suggested that the frostbitten Gold Nugget from FGT that started this thread might make a recovery. No leaves but still some green. FW have entry and choice GN. Moro blood oranges are in too.

Nancy

• nulesm
    6 years ago

Hello Nancy that's to bad, you won't be disappointed with Pages they are so nice and sweet the only problem I have with my Page is that the fruiting season goes so fast as my Minneola Tangelo. My finger's are so crossed for your Gold Nugget that caught a cold draft if it still has green branches there's a very strong chance it will survive and then you will have two as I lol :) you can never have to many Gold Nuggets . Let's hope that one of our GN tree's can carry at least one fruit to try next winter . Looking forward to see your new addition Nancy .

Brian

Nancy thanked nulesm
  • Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Brian. Your thoughtfulness shines through in all of your posts :-)

Headed down to So Cal to visit grandkids next week and will be scouting the farmers markets for anything I can't find and enjoy here in the rural, soggy PNW.

Thanks for all the encouragement. You are one of my citrus grower idols here ;-)

Nancy

• nulesm
    6 years ago

Hi Nancy your a gem thankyou so much for your very kind words. It's kind thoughtful people like yourself that keep me coming back here ♡♡. Nancy I really hope that you have a terrific visit with your grandchildren it will be so good for you to get away from all that rain . I hope that you get time to enjoy all that California sunshine !!! . If your near Riverside February 6th they will be having their UC Riverside Citrus Day I would so love to go one year . Nancy I was in the greenhouse this morning and there was one Moro blood orange laying on the ground , it was so good it had a little redness and was very sweet . Brian

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

Beautiful Brian!!! Congratulations!

• Nancy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Brian- that orange is to die for. Can just taste it. What a beauty and lying on the ground!

I spent most of my life in Corona (next door to Riverside) and grew up in a orange and grapefruit grove. Still lovely there- the grove is still standing, and I visit the old homestead frequently. As a kid used to get dirty helping with the smudge pots on freezing mornings. In so many ways I miss it but but not the horrendous heat which seems to be a year round thing since climate change became apparent.

Unfortunately flying down there the evening of the 6th- darn! Wish I'd known.

Nancy

• nulesm
    6 years ago

Thank you Nancy and Laura . Funny thing I've read so many times that Moro is the least favorite for taste of the Blood oranges , if it's the least I can only imagine what the best variety taste like . I have a Valencia and the Moro is just as sweet with just a little bit of tart perfect combination. Nancy now I know why your so hooked on citrus your home in Corona must have been paradise I can only imagine all those beautiful scents . My parents had a condo just outside Tampa and there was an orange grove not far from the condo , in March the scent coming from the grove was incredible that's how I became hooked . Nancy isn't always the case bump your flight up to the 5th lol.

Brian

• Kelley_GA8a
    6 years ago

Laura, I emailed FGT about the rootstock and the supplier of the Genoa: they could not tell me the rootstock and confirmed that it is carried by a contract grower, but did not say who. Whoever it is, they are located in South Carolina. I know Stan’s specialty is cold hardy citrus, but I wish he would grow the Italian varieties :)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting