SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

Beaucarnea Recurvata / Ponytail Palm Crown Collapse Help Please

elucas101
6 years ago

Hi everyone, hoping to get some help with my Beaucarnea recurvata. (I know it isn't actually a palm). I've read through pages and pages of posts and I can't find anything matching my specific question.

I've had this plant for several years and it was gorgeous and well up until a couple weeks ago. Looking at it now makes me so sad. I believe it is either cold damage or if anything underwatering because I left it outside and temps dipped into the low 20's. I've read conflicting information about it's cold tolerance and thought it would be fine down to about 25 but apparently not.

It was fine one day and the next I looked at it and all 3 crowns had collapsed. They were actually leaning over and felt soft so I cut them to make sure it wasn't rot. I only cut the crown part that was leaning, I did not cut to the hard woody part of the branch. The base and all branches are firm, not soft or squishy at all.

So my question is this: Since I clipped the crowns to check for rot, have I destroyed the growth point and have to cut down to the woody part or will more leaves eventually shoot from the center?

Before:

And now the sadness with cut crowns and droopy leaves (the lighting is off, these are not as yellow as they look, they are more turning a dullish green / brown with the undermost old leaves being dry brown) I can barely even look at it it makes me so sad.

One of the crowns. I put some cinnamon on there, not sure if anything I've done so far is right.

Here's a shot of the base and branches. The base is about 8-10" on one side.

So do I cut to the wood or leave it?

Comments (4)