SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
handdhouse

update red brick fireplace (paint)? and what to do with high shelf

handdhouse
6 years ago

We want to update the red brick fireplace from our 1960 ranch house. Ultimately, we would like to remove the brick, shelf, and tile surround, push the gas insert back and flush to the wall, and resurface the entire area with either concrete or tile. We received a quote between $21k-$35k, depending on what was found once the brick was removed. We found the quote steep, and want to update the existing materials, while we figure out how we will ultimately remodel the fireplace. So, we are willing to take a risk on what we do to the existing materials since they will one day be replaced.

I know the existing bricks are nice as far as brick goes, but the look is dated and the space is dark. The fireplace anchors the end of an open floor plan that covers our living room, dining room, and kitchen. The living room "area" is only 9.5' x 7.5'. I don't want to cover over the existing material because the space is so small already--I don't want lose any space. There is a coat closet behind the fireplace and I would love to actually push the entire wall back, but removing/re-configuring the chimney would increase the budget even more. (I'd also love to "lift up" the opening/insert off the floor, but this would also increase the budget).

For now, I'm looking for a way to lighten up the area, modernize, and also reduce the "red" coloring (our floors are a red oak--I don't care for the look of the red oak, but it's not in the budget to replace the floors throughout the entire house).

Should we paint or white wash the brick?

Should we paint the tile surround? Leave for now? It's not flush with the brick. I assume it is mortared on to the brick and that we would not be able to remove it with out damaging whatever it is adhered to.

What should we do with the really high shelf?

thanks for any advice. I will post an after pic after we have a plan and complete the project!

Comments (10)