SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_curry22

closet door decision

Kristin Curry
6 years ago
Help! Our contractor is coming tomorrow and we need to make a decision... we’re doing some remodeling that is adding two small walk in closets in two separate rooms. I had originally planned to have a 30 inch opening and to have a sliding “barn” style or other sliding rustic/vintage door. Something I need to wait until I found what I wanted, but in the mean time, the doorway would be left without a door. After doing some measuring, I realized that for one of the closets, there is not enough wall space for a 30 inch door to be centered on the closet and still have room to slide. These are my options:
-scratch the sliding door and just do a regular swinging door
-do a 24 inch opening instead (is this too small?)
-move the opening to the left to allow 30 inch door room to slide right. There is very little margin to do this to still allow room for our shelving.

The area of the house this is in a hallway that leads to my daughters room and you walk past the area to the master. So it is fairly high traffic and pretty visible.

We also have a similar issue with the second closet, which is in our master. My options are similar for this door, but the space is different, as it’s not high traffic, although you do walk past the closet to go into the room. But it’s not an area guests will see an awful lot.

I really liked the idea of a cool old door for both closets, but I’m now wondering if that’s going to be more hassle than it’s worth. Leaving a 24 inch opening would allow me to take my time on deciding on a sliding or hinged door but I don’t know if 24 is too small for a closet?

Comments (11)