SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_mickelson28

What color should I paint my floor??

Sarah Mickelson
6 years ago

I have a 1938 Tudor that I've been restoring for 2 years. We're taking a break from big projects to save up money, but I have some hideous faux rock laminate floors that I just can't live with any longer. They're in a back hallway that leads to our backyard, but they are highly visible in the house (you can see them when you walk in our front door and from most areas of our first floor). I've decide to paint the laminate floors until we can afford nicer flooring. We're adding ship lap soon and will be painting it white. I'm adding new ceiling lights that are metal with a white shade and black base . I also purchased a vintage runner for the floor. It's dark navy and dark rust red. I love it, but it's really throwing off my color choice for the floor. I bought a color called Knoxville Gray by Benjamin Moore, but now that I have it it's looking way too dark with my dark rug. I'm not scared of color, so I'm open to suggestions. I do want it one solid color and I'd prefer it not to be a plain gray color. I know I could get a different rug, but I just splurged on this rug for this specific area, so I'd prefer to keep it here. Would LOVE your help! I'm going to attach some pics that will show the hall, the rug, and a pic of our kitchen to get a vibe of our house/decor.

The kitchen is just a few steps up from this back hall:

Comments (45)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

IMO the painted floor with paint that really won’t stick to the vinyl will lookl alot worse than what you have now.

Sarah Mickelson thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Sarah Mickelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I actually researched and have found a lot of people who have successfully painted linoleum floors. I bought a special exterior floor paint. So, I'm not worried about the chipping.

• Related Discussions

What color should I paint my first floor interior doors?

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks! That’s what I was thinking as well.
    ...See More

What color should I refinish my floors and Wall colors?

Q

Comments (2)
    The home has a great look. But before you look to remodel you need to look to the furnishings you will put into it. Many people buy a house, paint the walls redo the floors, change the kitchen, etc., then look to purchase furnishings. So think about that first. What do you have now that you will keep for the long term. And what do you plan to purchase new. Have a clear plan as to what these items are, keeping in mind colors, style, and patterns. Then look at floor color, rugs, lighting fixtures and furniture. The wrong order will ultimately make you frustrated.
    ...See More

What color should I paint my cabinets? I have White Dove walls.

Q

Comments (0)
    I just painted my walls in White Dove by BM. I have a subway tile backsplash in the kitchen with black grout. I'd like to paint my cabinets white and the island Navel (dark blue), but what color white should I paint my cabinets? The subway tile is a bright white and the WD if a very soft white/gray. Worried they will all clash or have too many shades of white going on. Help! :)
    ...See More

What color SW paint should i use to paint my brick fireplace?

Q

Comments (1)
    Is there a reason you want to paint the brick? It is because you're chasing the all-white look? Or is the brick truly bad? I had a painted brick fireplace at my other house, was there when I moved in and frankly it looked cheap. I did have it repainted a different color which improved it -- but painted brick is not an attractive look IMO. If it's truly horrible gold or pink brick or something, then go for it, but if it's a perfectly service traditional red, brown, or grey brick I'd work with it. Posting a pic would help responses.
    ...See More
  • decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Well, the floor really matches your art. I love a black floor, but it will show every piece of lint. Have you found a paint that will stick to the laminate? Maybe there's a primer that helps.

Sarah Mickelson thanked decoenthusiaste
  • jaep61 .
    6 years ago
    navy or dark blue or your kitchen cabinet color maybe
  • Sara Lewis
    6 years ago
    sorry i’m no help, but your kitchen is absolutely adorable! love it!
  • Sarah Mickelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ha, unfortunately it does match that picture...which is a beautiful map of the Puget Sound, where we live...hoping it won't have to compete with those ugly floors for long!! I have read lots of diy how to's of people who have successfully done it and have reported their painted laminate has been holding up for several years now. I spoke to the paint guy (who was very knowledgeable and the paint he recommended is for floors) This will need to last 2-5 years, so not long term by any means. I do like black and have thought about it, but I had a dark charcoal tile floor once and it ALWAYS looked dirty.

• Sarah Mickelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've thought about a dark blue or the color of my kitchen cabinets too, just worried about dirt showing up on that dark color, even though it would probably look great when it's cleaned. BUT, worried a dark floor and a dark rug wouldn't mix.

• Sarah Mickelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've thought about Wolf Gray by Benjamin Moore, but again, not sure if it would work with my rug. Here's a swatch and it used in this kitchen.

• jaep61 .
    6 years ago
    light blue and maybe the floor trim walnut or what matches your bench and picture at end of the hall
    Sarah Mickelson thanked jaep61 .
  • Sarah Mickelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like the idea of the floor trim!

• jaep61 .
    6 years ago
    light grey maybe like your kitchen tiles
    Sarah Mickelson thanked jaep61 .
  • hummingalong2
    6 years ago
    Same grey that's in your tile in the kitchen would be my choice. I would be wary of blue in case it clashes with your cabinets.
    Sarah Mickelson thanked hummingalong2
  • Sarah Mickelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I will say the kitchen is up three steps from the hall. If you walk out of the kitchen doorway (old house, we removed the doors that went into the kitchen) and look left you'd see three steps and then the hallway, so it's not like they're connected. I have a lot of blues and blue greens that run through my house.

• loves to decorate
    6 years ago
    I know you said you didn't really want plain grey, but I would suggest one that's a shade or two darker than what's in your tiles. I have found medium values are the most forgiving when it comes to dirt, and grey is neutral and ties into what you have? A greyish blue would also look good, I think or a cool taupe maybe?
    Sarah Mickelson thanked loves to decorate
  • PRO
    Alexandra Tomlinson
    6 years ago

I'm a fan of the wolf grey, I think that'll nicely pull some of the tones out of the runner!

Sarah Mickelson thanked Alexandra Tomlinson
  • ilikefriday
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I love the idea of the blue with wood trim. I recently painted my floor and like you said, sticking is not an issue but IMO if you paint a solid colour it really looks like a painted floor. If you put a stencil or some sort of design on top it will look much better. Much more like tile, even if the design and/or colour is subtle. No matter what it seems that you have a great sense of style and my guess is you will make it look fabulous.

Sarah Mickelson thanked ilikefriday
  • mrc345
    6 years ago
    Love your kitchen! What color are your blue cabinets? I would paint the floor the same color.
    Sarah Mickelson thanked mrc345
  • User
    6 years ago
    Prep the floor for painting and tint primer the light grey of the kitchen floor. It will cover the current floor and you can see what light grey looks like. Then buy samples of other colors and make tests on posterboard.
    Sarah Mickelson thanked User
  • Sarah Mickelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, Kitty, great idea about the tinted primer!

mrc345 Thank you!! The cabinets are Cyberspace by Sherwin Williams, but we used Benjamin Moore paint. I've actually thought about that color for the floors, just worried about it being too dark. We live in the PNW so muddy shoes and paws wouldn't be forgiving on a dark floor in my experience.

Ilikefriday that was actually my original plan, to use a stencil! But, I thought it might be too busy with the rug and I know it would be a lot of work. I think if the floor is a bust, I could always stencil regardless.

• Marta
    6 years ago
    BTW forgot to mention that I absolutely love your kitchen! Gorgeous :)
    Sarah Mickelson thanked Marta
  • ilikefriday
    6 years ago

You could do a stencil runner down the length of the hallway. I think that would look awesome with your rug. Just a thought but still a bit of work. Here is a photo of my plain painted floor and then the same floor with a stencil.

• Sarah Mickelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Marta, I have actually looked up stick on tiles and might actually use some that I found on etsy that look identical to some cement tile ones I love as a quick fix to a tiny bathroom that is just off this hallway (so many projects to do!!). I think for cost sake, paint is the cheapest way to go for now. Is that your house in that photo you attached? SO cute!

Ilikefriday, a stenciled border could be fun...I don't think your photo came through.

• Sarah Mickelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Marta, and thank you for your compliment! I should have cleared off the counters before snapping this pic!

• ilikefriday
    6 years ago

Oops. I got sidetracked. The left side is what the tile looked like originally. The right is after it was painted. I think solid painted tile looks like plastic is poured over it.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Wow, CUTE kitchen and that runner is to die for!

I'm in the grey camp; it will be just right to highlight the runner. The blue and red would pop really nicely against a medium grey such as the one in your kitchen tile.

Sarah Mickelson thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

ilikefriday how does your painted floor hold up? Do you have to do touch ups or anything?

• ilikefriday
    6 years ago

Lindsey, this is the second time I have done this floor. The first time I did it I didn't paint a solid colour. I just painted the stencil on top of the tile and then put polycrylic on top of that. Essentially it looked the same as it does now. But the polycrylic is not as durable. It didn't chip but the polycrylic coating was thin and I would imagine it would have lasted 2 years without needing to be touched up.

I decided to scrape the first stencil off and the picture above is the second go round. This time I did the solid paint surface underneath which adds durability. I also use used polyurethane instead of polycrylic. Polyurethane is much more durable but it yellows the paint. I have not done any touchups. My guess is it will last 3 or 4 years without touchups. Also, I went with a busy stencil so that places that need touchups wouldn't be as noticeable. Really I still haven't finished the floor there are mistakes I see that I will get around to correcting at some point. I treat this painted floor just as I would any other floor in my home. I am not concerned about chipping at all. The surface seems very durable to me.

• Sarah Mickelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ilikefriday nice work, it turned out great!! That looks like it was tedious. I was all on the stencil bandwagon, but my husband (who is sick of projects!!) talked me out of it. I think if I hate the plain paint, I always have the stencil to fall back on at least.

lindsey, Thank you! That kitchen was a labor of love and it's my favorite spot in the house. It sounds like a medium gray is winning here. Wondering if you saw that wolf gray color I posted above in this thread. It reads a bit blue, which I like, but not sure if that would mesh with my rug.

• Marta
    6 years ago
    Sarah, I think I saw the tiles you mention. Mine have definitely worked well for us (yes, that is my house - thank you :)). Good luck!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Good thoughts here just a couple of additional thoughts. Check vinyl tiles again. You don’t have that much floor and they work great. Newer styles would fit in beautifully. Do not paint floor same color as cabinets. That will look very DIY. YOU can lay those tiles. Surprise your hubby! Just make sure you get a good straight line to start from. Dry layout to check cuts and pattern first. So much better than paint. Good luck.
    Sarah Mickelson thanked Flo Mangan
  • rebecca_adia
    6 years ago

No thoughts just that your kitchen is super cute. I love it!

Sarah Mickelson thanked rebecca_adia
  • shwshw
    6 years ago

following...

• Sarah Mickelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Flo, thank you for your suggestion! I totally agree with you, upgrading to vinyl tiles would probably look nicer than painting the linoleum. And I'm not adverse to doing projects, I've actually done a lot of demolition and tile laying, etc in our house already...it's actually fun for me, working on our house has become my hobby! The issue really is money at this point. We've renovated most of our home (mostly doing all the work ourselves) over the last 2 years and we're saving for our next big project, which is landscaping our yard and backyard this Spring. We're on a big spending freeze! I know vinyl tiles aren't too spendy, but my husband was grumbling about the paint we had to buy! We have a postage stamp bath off this hallway that I am planning on using stick on vinyl tiles for it as a temporary fix, but only because it's going to be so cheap. I have seen some painted vinyl linoleum that turned out really well (I'll attach a pic)...as well as it can at least for painted linoleum...so I'm crossing my fingers over here!

• rebecca_adia
    6 years ago

I LOVE YOUR HOUSE

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Sure, I understand for sure. Been there. I think I would wait rather than paint. But you have to live there. Let us know how it goes.
    Sarah Mickelson thanked Flo Mangan
  • Sarah Mickelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Flo, I'll update with a picture once we do it (this weekend!!). I get it, it might be just putting lipstick on a pig, but I can't imagine hating it more than the current ugly yellowish faux rock I have going on in there now. Ha! Fingers are crossed.

• Lila
    6 years ago

What's under the vinyl? Could you remove it and stain or paint the subfloor?

Sarah Mickelson thanked Lila
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Farrow and Ball make excellent floor paint in a wide range of colours.
  • Sarah Mickelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lila, wow. I never even thought about looking under there! GREAT idea. I know it's for sure a plywood subfloor or concrete b/c it's an addition to the house, but that might be 10x better than painting the vinyl. Thanks!

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

following

• Sarah Mickelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello, Everyone! Well the floor has been painted and we are really happy with the result!! It took awhile to dry because of the cold weather. We ended up waiting almost a week to put everything back in the hall and start using it again. Hope you like the after more than the before! Thanks again for everyone's input! Next month we are putting shiplap up and the project will be complete...for a few years at least when we put new flooring in back here!

• Jane Gray
    6 years ago

It looks terrific! What a transformation - good job!

Sarah Mickelson thanked Jane Gray
  • Marta
    6 years ago
    Hi! Looks great! I like the color and that it’s not shiny. I wonder how it’ll hold up with use?
    Sarah Mickelson thanked Marta
  • Sarah Mickelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Marta, thank you! Yes, I'm glad it's not shiny too. We shall see how it'll hold up. Hoping for at least two years.