SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

Tim+Dentist=YaHoooo

mamapinky0
6 years ago

Tim my 10 year old had his dental exam and cleaning today. Other than a few baby teeth still to come out he had a A+ exam. Very minor tartar...when they flossed him they praised him on how well he flosses. Xrays all look great with no indication of dental issues. He will be 11 in September and has never had a cavity. Important to also note he's never had a floride treatment.

I'm proud that Tim has good oral hygiene. I know not all kids do and I do blame parents for this...Teach your child as a baby/toddler good oral hygiene and it becomes a habit.

Kinda funny story but Tim did not have an appointment today. Friday evening a molar fell out..I freaked thinking an adult tooth fell out and the root was still in his gums. I barely slept all weekend worrying. 8Oclock this morning I was on the phone begging for them to see him today. Of course they agreed after all an adult tooth breaking off (the entire top) is not something they can put off. Once we were in the exam room I pulled the tooth out of my pocket which was in a tiny zip lock pill bag and handed it to the dental hygenist...he looked and looked and cracked up laughing...A baby tooth. Haha. I can't tell you the relief I felt considering Tim was more than a month late for his routine exam.. I'm laughing now but I had myself worked up and called myself all kinds names starting with negligent grandparent....LOL. Tims next exam is in July..I'll have him there promply. Lol.

Thanks for listening to my brag.

Comments (7)

• nickel_kg
    6 years ago

LOL that's funny! You are smart to try to instill good habits early, and Tim is a smart kid to actually make it so.

mamapinky0 thanked nickel_kg
  • User
    6 years ago

Great that he had a good checkup but as far as the fluoride depending on where you live your water may have it in abundance even without the water system adding any in.

mamapinky0 thanked User
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 years ago

That's wonderful, you've been a great teacher and need to take pride in that. I wish we'd had the emphasis on dental care when we were kids. We had checkups, I don't remember ever being shown flossing, our dentist had no hygienist - I don't think any of them did. My teeth aren't bad but I do have fillings, crowns.

Our nephew (25) was here after an appointment to have a filling replaced last week. He has three total. He also has excellent full dental coverage and hasn't been going for checkups and cleanings....too busy ;0(

I told him I didn't have words to make him understand how important this would be in his later years (what kid can visualize their later years) so just to make the darned appointments and go for no other reason than because I said so. He can figure out the why later.

High five Tim for me! Tell him I said good (and important) work.

mamapinky0 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you everyone.

Morz...I high fived Tim from you and gave him your message...he sends a big Thank You. Than he ask if he could eat salt water taffy . LOL....Of course I told him no but he could have a few squares of 70% chocolate from a candy bar and an apple. He took the apple and passed on the chocolate. Little does he know I refused the taffy because I have a unreasonable fear of kids choking on taffy. Course taffy and gummy type candy is really so bad for teeth.

I hope his brother gets as good a report in a few weeks when he has his exam...but he tries rushing the brushing than I have to send him back to do it again. He probably mumbles how mean grandma is. Haha.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    6 years ago

Good job, Tim! One of my GS's always has dental problems and its not from lack of care. On the other hand, my 40 year old son has never had a cavity. I wouldnt particularly call him fastidious. Some of us are just blessed with good teeth, I think.

• Chi
    6 years ago

Yeah, I take good care of my teeth and get a lot of cavities. My 38 year old friend doesn't brush his teeth very often (just uses listerine) or floss and has never had a cavity and gets complimented at the dentist office for taking such good care!