SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelsea_tavarez

Long living room design dilemma

Chelsea Tavarez
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have a 15 x 30 living room that I need help designing. I posted on here before and got some good ideas, but not exactly for my setup. I want something that will leave an open flow because we have a door to the exterior located in our living room and it is a place we use to entertain/let our kids play. I've attached a rendering of our space to show the empty area that needs to be decorated.

The top view helps you see the two doorways and one door placement we have to contend with. The front view shows you the view from our entryway. I like how the curtains and chairs frame the window and become the focal point, so I'm wary of obstructing that view with something in the middle of the empty space, but I'm open to it if it works. A dining room isn't an option; it seems viable, but it would be cramped (unless perhaps we did a circular table and I'm not 100% sure I want to do that.)

My husband floated the idea of a faux wall extending from the tv wall out towards where the dog is pictured, splitting the space into two rooms. I'm not totally against it, but I think it will obstruct the view into the room in a weird way.

My concern is that I don't want it to look like just a ton of chairs thrown into the space, but I'm not opposed to adding more seating options. Ideas for furniture that doubles as storage/bookshelves are also welcome. My husband is a woodworker so I can custom fit our space.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments (8)