SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tammie_tolestorain

Cheaper to build up than out?

Tammie T. T
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Throwing my green thoughts out here so my not so green budget line won’t have a heart attack. “It is cheaper to build up than out” is what I hear a lot. Is it solely because the cost of concrete is more expensive than wood and drywall. What other factors are considered in this statement when building an approximately 4000-5000 sq foot home? I feel a downstairs master is making me compromise too much.

Comments (47)

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Try editing your dilemma. Some words appear to be missing from the post.

• charpell
    6 years ago
    Generally I would think it’s the land that is going to drive a lot of the price. You’re going to need a big lot to build 5000 sq ft on a single level!
  • Related Discussions

Perlite cheaper than sand per cubic foot

Q

Comments (3)
    Gee, I need to raise my prices. I sold 4 CF for 12.99 last year. I haven't brought it in this year because it is a hassle to carry the bags outside because the material degrades in the sun and I don't have shelf space for it inside. Yes I buy wholesale for around $8. I didn't sell but about 8 bags last year. Most of it to one or 2 people. It is coming out of Mexico down here in Texas anyway. Happy Growing David
    ...See More

Cheaper to build out or up?

Q

Comments (7)
    I read a detailed discussion on this topic in the book Better Houses, Better Living by an M. Ferguson. (If I don't have the name quite right, it's close enough to help you find the book.) I enjoyed the book very much. He's a retired home inspector who wrote a whole book about things you want to avoid in your house. I do recommend the book. I had some difficulty obtaining my copy, but I would suggest that anyone building a house put in the effort to locate one. He brings up quite a few points, including cost of land, size of foundation, space lost to the staircase, exterior vs. interior walls, cost of heating/cooling . . . I can't remember it all, but it was a detailed answer and very worth reading. His conclusion: It depends upon circumstances. Putting aside the issue of cost, do remember that an "up house" vs. an "out house" will bring you different benefits, which may mean more to you than the cost difference. An "up house", for example, is more likely to allow you to have windows on two walls in all your major rooms . . . but you'll have to deal with the staircase as you age. So don't make this JUST about money.
    ...See More

Two Cost questions: Building Plans, & 1 Level vs. 2 Level Homes:

Q

Comments (17)
    Thanks for the compliment on the hardwood. It's actually bamboo. It's the Java Fossilized bamboo from Calibamboo. I think I'm there first residential install on the east coast. This stuff is absolutely gorgeous and I love it so much so far. We've been in the house a few weeks, just haven't had a chance to update the pics. I can tell you, whatever you decide to go with will be the right thing for your family. Facing the disability with my husband, and having it be very real and in our face forced us to look at some very real issues. We have a 12yo daughter. It spurred us to decided to go 100% handicapped accessible. My husband couldn't stand the thought of a future time when my daughter might need him in some part of the house, and he couldn't get there to help her. The idea of her sick with fever throwing up in the only non-wc accessible bathroom as he sat in the chair outside trying to comfort her...or having a nightmare as he tried to make corners to get to her bedroom. We knew that at age 12 there wouldn't be too many more of those times, but grandchildren will come one day.... He couldn't live with those thoughts... so we made the whole house accessible. Today a paraplegic could move into our house with access to all but the basement, and we are 100% ready to pop in the elevator as the shaft is prebuilt. However, if he did not have MS...and we only had our minor mobility issues and those of guests to think of...our decision might have been totally different. My inlaws built 100 feet from us on the same 17acres. They both have serious mobility issues. They lowered the switches, raised the toilets, raised the outlets and made the master wc accessible. The other bedrooms and second bath however are not accessible at all. At their age, and with their only surviving child and grandchild living next door...the money just wasn't justified. My grandparents, both just shy of 90 on the other hand are living quite happily in their 2 story home. Nana is blind, Grampa has COPD and a heart condition and needs oxygen frequently. They both can still walk, if a bit unsteadily and refuse any changes. On bad days Grampa sleeps on the sofa downstairs instead of heading up. I just wanted to give you a bit of generational prospective from my family....thought it might help. Laney Here is a link that might be useful: Calibamboo for flooring
    ...See More

Can This Be Settled? Cheaper UP or OUT?

Q

Comments (22)
    There is not only less wall area for windows but the strength of light from a window decreases by the square of the distance from the window. For equal sized houses the floor area within 10 ft of the exterior walls is much greater in a 2 story house making it potentially considerably brighter. Skylights can change that but are not always an acceptable substitute for windows from a psychological perception point of view. Compare two 2,500 s.f. houses, one a single story and the other a two story. Make them square to make the math easy. The one story house will have 1,600 s.f. within 10 ft of the exterior walls and the two story will have 2,029 s.f. within 10 ft of the exterior walls. The two story house would have 17% more floor area within 10 ft of the exterior walls. That allows it to be brighter and provide a greater sense of the outside. Some ancillary spaces are fine in the center of a house but not living spaces. As for the area of stairs in a two story house, a one story house has a similar space dedicated to an entry foyer and bedroom corridors. On the other hand, people with disabilities need to be on one floor so other considerations are irrelevant. However, this issue can be usually be accommodated with a story and a half house. PS It is possible to configure a one story house so it will have as much space within 10 ft of the exterior walls by using wings and courtyards but that requires more land and increases the cost of the house. In short, in order to make a house as cheap as possible you will be forced to give up much of what makes a house great.
    ...See More
  • Tammie T. T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Apple...added the topic in the description.

Charpell...I don’t want it all on first floor. I’d just like to slice the master bedroom, master sitting area and bath off the top and put it on the bottom.

• bry911
    6 years ago

Is it solely because the cost of concrete is more expensive than wood and drywall.

Not solely... Exterior surfaces are more expensive to build than interior surfaces. Two story homes simply have fewer exterior surfaces. Smaller foundations and smaller roofs, for only a bit more exterior walls.

This assumes that everything else is held equal. you can absolutely build a more expensive two story if you use a more complicated roof and have a design that requires lots of steel.

• Tammie T. T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    More intricate roofs requires more steel and/ or sq footage...load bearing?
  • User
    6 years ago

It depends on the design, location, and fluctuation in materials and labor cost. Generally, one foundation and one roof is cheaper. BUT, it requires more space to deal with stairs and more money to deal with the cost of stairs. Etc.

So, it depends. Are you building a nightmare roof single floor “hacienda”? Or a two story salt box Colonial?

• bry911
    6 years ago

Not trying to be anything other than respectful, it is either time you hire someone you really trust to take care of all of these details, or resign yourself to dedicating a lot of time doing some research.

• Tammie T. T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree Bry. I guess I just don’t want to be totally ignorant. When you have been taken advantage of in the past by contractors, it’s a paralyzing trauma to get over and unfortunately you do more than you’d wish to in the hopes that you’ll never be so vulnerable again. It doesn’t always help the situation but some due diligence makes one feel a little better.

• Tammie T. T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Sophie... I’m scared to answer because you crack me up on other posts and I am a fan. Two stories. I’m leaning towards Tudor style.
  • rrah
    6 years ago

If you're planning on building a 4000-5000 sq. foot house putting a master suite on the main floor should not be an issue. There are a lot of houses smaller than that with first floor masters suites.

I don't think it's the master suite that's making you compromise. I think it's the lack of knowledge about design and house building. I would recommend you spend a few hours reading every single threads here, especially the ones that review a floor plan. There is much knowledge to be gained.

Then read all of the threads about design. Next pick up a basic book on house construction. As you read the threads you'll come across some specific books. That's how you educate yourself so you're not "totally ignorant."

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Well...it sorta depends...how far out? How far up? Depends on the design and the complexity or simplicity. Usually more foundation and roof structures are more expensive than less foundation and roof structures. Usually.

• bry911
    6 years ago

More intricate roofs requires more steel and/ or sq footage...load bearing?

Wood flexes, the longer the span (unsupported distance) the more it flexes and too much flex will eventually cause a failure. More weight causes wood to flex more and everything you have in your house from drywall to furniture to even the snow on your roof will add weight to the wood. So there is an effective limit to your spans (which means that there is an effective limit to how open a space can be in your house).

Additionally, all of this weight in your house gets transferred down to the foundation by load bearing walls. You will often hear people ask, "is this wall load bearing," which means that they are really asking, "can I remove this wall?". However, it is important to understand that the answer to both of those questions may be no. Load bearing walls transfer weight to the foundation, but non load bearing walls may be used to add stiffness to the spans above. In other words, houses require load bearing walls to stand up, but non load bearing walls are often used to prevent houses from becoming trampolines.

Beams may replace load bearing walls to transfer that weight to the foundation, beams are commonly wood, composite wood, or steel. Each of those allows for longer spans respectively, but go up in price respectively.

Two story houses generally use more load bearing walls or beams than do one story houses simply because you have the load of the second floor and the roof that needs to get transferred down to the footer rather than just the load of the roof, but that isn't always the case, if your roof gets deep enough you will need load bearing in a one story also.

---------

As for roof cost, every peak on a roof adds cost to the roof. This means that a straight single peaked roof will always be cheaper to build than the same roof with a couple of dormers. This also means that every bumpout usually adds to the cost of a house. However, both of these things may also add appeal so are good to add to a point, however, too much of a good thing gets costly and ugly.

----------

Note: others who are better at this and more experienced than I am might add clarity or corrections to the above post, and this is a very brief and elementary explanation rather than an exhaustive one.

• Tammie T. T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Sophie. Definitely won’t DIY. I just want to know what the pros will be talking about a bit, as opposed to doing a dunce nod during the entire project. I will keep costs in mind in regards to tudor.
  • PRO
    Summit Studio Architects
    6 years ago

Your most cost effective approach will depend on the land and how much room you have to work with. On a flat lot with slab on grade construction that could be a single level home. On a sloping lot with a walk out basement that could be two stories with walk out.

The cost to build will depend on gross square footage (everything under roof) and the finished area. The biggest budget buster will be unused space like unfinished basements that don't have finished space. Plan now to use all the space you create. The objective is to reduce the overall gross area and footprint. The more you can balance the area required on each level the more efficient the overall structure will be. This usually means keeping the main level as efficient as possible and locating any accessory rooms like offices or exercise areas on other levels. A good tool for balancing the levels is a spreadsheet with approximate room sizes. Total the area for each floor and add 15% for circulation and the thickness of the walls.

Another thought on levels... Decent stairs are expensive and take about 100 s.f. It doesn't make sense to add a level if it only has a few square feet. i.e. If you need 500 more s.f. and can keep it on the main level, keep it on the main level.

• Tammie T. T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Summit that was very helpful. Thanks everyone. It all makes complete sense.
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

Tammie, some good book recommendations in this thread below. You don't want to spend the next 2-3 years on research, but a little bit of education on a new subject can go a long way toward understanding what (and who) you're dealing with : ) . Especially if you've been taken advantage of in the past.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/3281434/book-suggestions?n=10

• bry911
    6 years ago

The cost to build will depend on gross square footage (everything under roof) and the finished area.

As a clarification, it is true that holding all else constant, smaller costs less. The distinction is this, you can almost always make a design cheaper by cutting out square footage, but that doesn't mean a design with less square footage is going to be cheaper.

Here is a home near me in a newer neighborhood

I could cut a hundred thousand dollars out of that house by adding 800 square feet to the house.

Note: if this happens to be your house...my apologies.

• User
    6 years ago

^^^Not to mention the 100K of repairing leaks that is in that homeownwe’s future if they didn’t upgrade to 100% Ice and Water shield under at least half the build.

• SJ McCarthy
    6 years ago

bry911 - that is an EXCELLENT example of "multiple roof lines"! That roof is probably worth 30% of the build! Zoinks!

I would look for an architect who SPECIALIZES in Tudor/Victorian/Georgian reproductions. Interviewing residential architects will be the single most important thing you do. Remember your building ABC's:

Architect

Before

Contractor

You want to find someone who has a history of building the type of home you want to create. That's item #1 on your to-do list. If you have MULTIPLE professionals in your area to choose from, then you want to find someone who has a decent "personality" fit.

Then you want to talk about whether or not the architect will be supervising the ENTIRE build or just responsible for the blue prints (which you purchase and then go "contractor shopping").

If you have been burned by the building industry before, then you are better off working with the architect as the supervisor. Architects will have a set of contractors that they like to work with. They will have created working relationships built on trust and adherence to schedules (both financial and temporal). And they are the BIG BOYS on the build site. What the Architect says is LAW! They do the bullying for you.

As someone who is now gun shy, I suggest you spend a bit more upfront for the architect "team" approach so that you can have peace of mind throughout the build.

And just in case you are wondering, architects can SAVE YOU MONEY. Their fees are often the same amount of money SAVED during a build. Yep. That means you get to all the professional services of an architect for FREE. That's how much you save.

Their fees are "up front" so it FEELS like a lot of money....but you SAVE that amount on time lines, streamlining and on the subcontractors.

Win-win in my books. So start interviewing.

• Tammie T. T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Wow Bry!!! That’s a lot of peaks. By adding square footage? Do tell? I thought you’d say by simplifying the roof.
  • Tammie T. T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Becky I’m starting with a quick read I found called How to Build Your Dream Home without getting nailed by The Chubby Builder. It’s a quick read I am doing on my kindle app. I’m also ordering a few of the ones on the list. Thanks!
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

Tammie, definitely take a look at "Designing Your Perfect House" by William J. Hirsch Jr. It's only $8 on Kindle : ) .

I haven't seen the chubby builder book recommended here before, but many of us have read, liked, and recommended the Hirsch book. Ditto for "What Your Contractor Can't Tell You" by Amy Johnson (and I'm married to a builder lol).

• swrite
    6 years ago
    Have you tried visiting any open houses of model homes or taking a peek at houses online that are for sale with first floor masters? Not sure about your area, but in mine first floor masters seem to be the trendy thing with all the “age in place” talk. A lot of new builds feature them, so I wonder if it wouldn’t help to walk through some of those to get an idea of what is possible. I’m not convinced you can’t have that first floor master with that kind of square footage. You could have two masters with a home that size, one up & one down. Again, from real estate listings I know it can be done. You might have to compromise on locations & placement of other rooms, but I think visuals of actually built homes would help. You’d be able to see what a difference floor plans can make.

I know of two 5,000 square foot homes off the top of my head that were like night & day & it’s because of layout & floor plan. One is two stories with a fully finished basement that could even count as separate living quarters if you added a kitchen. Has something like 4 official bedrooms, 3.5 baths & really some of the other rooms could be bedrooms too. The other house looks more imposing because it’s mostly one level (there’s only one small room on an upper part), came with only 2 bedrooms, I don’t know if it has 1.5 or 2 baths. It’s a lovely home and around twice the price of the other one, however the first one takes up a lot less lot space and while less opulent, definitely feels like a bigger, more useful house than the spread-out expensive one.
  • One Devoted Dame
    6 years ago

I’m leaning towards Tudor style.

I love you!!! <3 Tudor is one of my favorite "grown up" styles (my ultimate favorite is Storybook, but it's too much whimsy for my husband, lol).

It's my understanding that if you keep the top and bottom parts of the house the same, so that they share both a foundation and a roof, that it's generally cheaper than building a single story of the same square footage or a two story with a smaller upper half. Simpler roofs (gable) reduce the cost, but even slightly more complicated (like a simple cross gable) will increase expenses, as will pitch. And a respectable Tudor must have a steeper pitch, otherwise, ya might as well build something else. ;-)

-- But --

If you have a liking of complicated staircases, this may eat up some (all?) of the savings, depending on the design. For example, I love a nicely detailed, non-linear (anything besides a straight run) staircase with built-in storage underneath every tread. I'd like pull-out drawers that open off to the side of the bottom quarter/third of the staircase, and either storage shelves or a powder room under the remaining section. Custom stair design and construction, combined with the custom cabinetry to do these things, will be $$$$$. If my house ends up being Spanish Colonial, I gotta add more $$$$$ for a staircase capable of handling the weight of tile, plus the labor expertise of the tile installation.

The details matter. A lot.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

I've been on commercial jobs where plumbers have explained to architects how they could have saved the state of Ohio taxpayers tens of thousands of dollars on a job, but the pencil pushers weren't going to take any advice from lowly tradesmen. Made me sick. As a tradesman and a taxpayer.

Nothing against architects, but they aren't Gods. On my jobs they're subs.

• partim
    6 years ago

Every public library would have a copy of The Not So Big House - A Blueprint for the Way We Really Live by Sarah Susanka. It's a great read. It has a section Dreams, Details and Dollars that talks about the trade offs between size and quality. She addresses your question on pg 139. Basically, the skin of the house is the most expensive part. The most economical design is a Colonial with a gable roof since it encloses the most square footage for the minimum of surface area.

• mamadada
    6 years ago

I added on and went up. Worst decision...housewise. Hate to go up there and there are so many reasons to go up when you have kids.

• David Cary
    6 years ago

Just something I didn't here mentioned. Location dictates the answer a bit.

Building on a basement (or deep frost line) costs significantly more than a slab in the South. Building up means saving foundation and roof. Foundation costs are significantly higher in the North.

Roof costs are also variable. If you are building something other than asphalt, then roof costs are more expensive.

Also in the North, there is a greater cost for being inefficient in packaging. Since wall/insulation/heating costs are greater, there is a greater penalty for avoiding the saltbox.

Generally, building 4000-5000 sqft is not a budget build. Most of the time, people here are going to suggest decreasing square footage to save money if that is the concern. Everyone thinks they want a really big house until they have one (IMO). But I certainly get that appraisal and resale are issues..

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

"Building on a basement (or deep frost line) costs significantly more than a slab in the South."

David:

Your statement lacks context. You have to compare the completed living space cost per square foot of a house with the additional expense of a basement to the completed living space cost per square foot of a home on a slab. Without that, there is no way to measure the value (or none) provided by a basement.

Run the numbers and I promise you the cost effectiveness of a basement will be obvious.

• bry911
    6 years ago

I like to start my Sunday morning off with some geometry... Here goes.

----------

When we look at the shapes above we must consider multiple things, corners, the roof, and the exterior wall. I am ignoring circles, octagons, etc.

In A vs. B above they have the same area but A has a perimeter of 200 while B has a perimeter of 250. In houses squares are the most efficient spaces to a point (note: that when houses get substantially large the cost to build a roof on a square house might get larger and the house might get too dark. So they are not really loved these days).

So let's look at bumpouts... Both C and D above have the same perimeter, but C has an area of 2,750 while D has an area of 3,000. Additionally, C will require a more complicated roof than D (an additional peak) which will add costs.

Also, when building, a straight wall is cheaper to build than a corner. So looking at E and F, the former will be cheaper to build than the latter, even though they have the same perimeter and the same area, the one that eliminates a corner will be cheaper.

The geometry is simple, but the reality is a little more complicated. Roofs have a practical limit, since your roof is probably going to slope it will get taller as your house gets deeper (not to mention your house will get darker as it gets deeper), so eventually your roof will exceed the practical limit and start getting more expensive. Lumber is only cost effective in certain lengths, etc.

The most cost efficient spaces are converting spaces you already have to have in a home into living spaces. This refers to basements and attics. You are already building a roof over your house and as roof pitches have gotten higher lately, the 1.5 story starts making more sense, this converts space under the roof into living space and if done properly is probably the most efficient square footage in a house. Additionally, in locations where you are already digging down to a deeper frost line or on lots that slope away from front to back, a basement will absolutely be efficient square footage, however, basements are not always welcoming. I believe the mistake most people make in basements is they consider them add-on spaces rather than thoughtfully designing and engineering basements. Moisture control is essential for basements and while they are incredibly efficient square footage at times, never save money in a basement.

---------

None of this means you should build your house to be completely cost effective, but you should consider the effect of adding complication just to impress your neighbor. I question this guy's priorities but if I was his neighbor I would be impressed...

ETA: To be fair this guy (yes I am assuming the gender) might have needed to downsize after getting the bill for the first oil change. It cost about $21,000 just to change the oil in that car...

• Tammie T. T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Bry... thanks for the illustration. I follow you. Now for the picture....lol. Bless his heart. Who are we to judge priorities I guess....maybe it’s his summer spot down by the beach. Only needs a place to lay his head at night...cruising the strip is where the magic happens!!! Lol
  • David Cary
    6 years ago

Of course, I was not giving any value to the basement square footage. And of course finishing the basement is the cheapest square footage. Those things I figured are common knowledge but I wasn't clear. The square footage desired I presumed was above ground so then the basement was just a cost. Of course it has value. But at some point 3000 vs 2000 sqft basement isn't worth that much more which is the difference here between building up or out.

• bry911
    6 years ago

David,

I wasn't arguing against your position just adding clarity. I think basements are typically inefficient square footage in a house because they are viewed as cheap additional square footage rather than thoughtfully integrated into the design of a house and engineered to properly to withstand the unique conditions of below grade square footage.

• qam999
    6 years ago

Were I in your shoes, I'd start by considering an existing house plan and customizing it. If you choose a house where gable location and roof pitches are Tudoresque, a good architect can then add Tudor detailing for you - or I should say, revise the design heavily to permit Tudor styling. Here's a good candidate: https://www.houseplans.pro/plans/plan/10090

Be aware that a convincing modern Tudor is one of the more expensive styles to build. Unlike sleek and simple modern styles which can be built simply, Tudor style requires lots of detailing, convolution of massing, variable roof planes, varied and specifically detailed windows (diamond leaded etc.), timbering, niches, elaborate brickwork (not just running bond, but framed herringbone and other decorative techniques), a massive oak door with wrought iron fittings, real shutters with working shutter dogs, copper gutters, etc. etc. And I haven't even mentioned the inside. All those details require extra time to design, and extra materials, highly customized materials, labor and skilled labor to accomplish. You could get quotes on the 10090 built as shown, and then built as it would be if capably Tudorized. I'd guess $300-400k in my area just as an upcharge. Minimum.

You can simplify the Tudor style, but at some point the charm will be gone. It may make sense to work with an architect to capture the charm you want in a more achievable style. (BTW I adore the little Tudor Revival houses in my hometown of Minneapolis.)

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Well...if we are considering geometry, I believe a circle or a sphere may enclose the greatest volume with the least surface area.

So, why don't we all live in Yurts? Or geodesic domes? With or without basement?

My point, simply, is that at some point the quality of life and living become a priority for many of us and that's where shelter and architecture separate and diverge. We all have to decide on whether efficiency or quality of life are our dominant priorities for our domiciles.

• mimimomy
    6 years ago

I designed my own home (about 2400 sq feet) working loosely from a plan. I looked for builders for months and went to lots of model homes. Finally, I went to visit a custom builder. I walked in his door and we spoke for an hour. When I left his office I called my husband and said "We are building with this builder, and if we can't afford to, we will buy an existing home."

We could have gone with a builder in one of the existing developments and gotten hundreds of extra square feet for the same price. But there is just absolutely no substitute for the relationship we had with our builder, nor the quality of his subs. He told us his homes took a bit longer to build, because he liked to use the same subs. Every one of them was incredible. When our pool builder came in and saw our tile work he was blown away by the quality. No, it wasn't fancy tile or inlays, it was just fantastic workmanship.

Our builder wouldn't let us make mistakes like 3" baseboard with ten foot ceilings. He also helped me to gain extra square footage and cut costs through "reengineering." He told me in our initial meeting he didn't bargain on price, but he'd help me figure out cost savings if we needed to. He knew I really wanted our garage set back from the house a bit. When I got the final plan from the architect, he'd figured out a way to make it happen.

When I hear about the nightmare stories others have when building a home, I am just so thankful I spent a long time picking my builder and that I found the best. If you feel like you will be the dunce in the room, in my opinion you have the wrong builder. My builder frequently built homes in your size range... we were one of the smaller homes in his portfolio.

Find a builder no one says a bad word about. One who doesn't mind if you ask a hundred questions-- we sure did! They are out there, not necessarily with the big marketing campaigns. If they don't treat you with respect when you talk with them initially, it won't get better.

These are just my thoughts! I hope you find a wonderful builder!

• bry911
    6 years ago

Well...if we are considering geometry, I believe a circle or a sphere may enclose the greatest volume with the least surface area.

We are not considering geometry... We are using geometry to understand cost drivers. I did note that I was removing circles from the discussion, the reason being that circles are not typically the most cost effective home shape even if they do reduce exterior wall surfaces.

So, why don't we all live in Yurts? Or geodesic domes? With or without basement?

Again, this was specifically addressed but if you need further clarification here it comes.

------------

When I posted I knew this comment was coming and it was specifically addressed. Understanding how the basic design decisions drive the cost of a house doesn't lead to refrigerator boxes as homes, it leads to purpose based architecture rather than needing another bumpout because your neighbor has 6 and you need at least 7.

The idea that we need to somehow protect people from being too thrifty on their homes is ridiculous on its face. We are currently on a thread discussing a 4,000 to 5,000 square foot house, and while an understanding of how the shape of a house does change the price of a house, I think it safe to say that a bit of excess is protected by the premise itself.

I submit that tract builders and drafters who succumb to the pressures of an architectural movement based on bumpout one-upmanship are the only ones who will really suffer if people were more concerned about purpose driven design.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Well...as a retired architect and educator, I've never heard of the term "purpose based or driven architecture". Bob tells me I'm old and don't get out much any more...which is true.

Perhaps your are suggesting that form follows function--an old architectural comment. As I recall from the good ole' days, architecture is truly about form and function. It's not really about excess, regardless of premise. And architecture is not about styles or trends.

Tract builders and drafters aren't architects and can't succumb to pressures of architectural movements they know nothing about. But there is a lot of "bumpsmanship", "nested gables", and a "myriad of materials", none of which have anything to do with architecture or a knowledge of architecture.

Builders build what is familiar and what they think will sell. Drafters simply draft what they are requested to draft. Seldom is any of this architecture.

And that is a point to consider: there's architecture and there's not.

• cmintosa
    6 years ago

Following

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Here's a good candidate: https://www.houseplans.pro/plans/plan/10090

I don't consider that a good candidate at all. I consider that a McMansion wannabe.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Find a builder no one says a bad word about. One who doesn't mind if you ask a hundred questions-- we sure did! They are out there, not necessarily with the big marketing campaigns. If they don't treat you with respect when you talk with them initially, it won't get better.

Know that even doing all that work where no one says a bad word doesn't mean things won't change. We checked with lots of our builder's former customers. All of whom had only wonderful things to say about our builder and how he went the extra mile. Of course that was before he overextended himself.

• bry911
    6 years ago

Well...as a retired architect and educator, I've never heard of the term "purpose based or driven architecture". Bob tells me I'm old and don't get out much any more...which is true.

Why do you feel that every set of words must be an official term? No one is claiming that there is a term purpose based architecture or anything of the sort. They are simply three words used in sentence, a compound predicate with an object (don't quote me on that, my sentence diagramming is a bit rusty).

I am most definitely not talking about form following function. Form is a purpose as is function. You can pretend that most tract builders don't have an architect, but they do. So you can defend the idea that tract homes aren't architecture, which again is getting a bit into silly semantics. Architecture is unfortunately a very broad term.

Tract builders and drafters aren't architects

Architect - from the Greek Arkhitekton which means master builder. It later came to mean superintendent and eventually what we have today. What we have today is a word with very broad acceptable meanings. In the U.S. architects have licensed the title, yet the term architecture is still very broad. You can assert that it means the earth is flat if you want, however, that doesn't make it so.

I too have this friend who I feel can contribute our discussion, his name is Richard. Richard is mostly a great guy but a bit territorial, whenever I step into Richard's yard he will start yelling at me and then start chasing me until I leave his yard. The problem being that Richard often leaves an obstacle or two on the sidewalk so that walking into his yard just seems appropriate. The moral of this story is, don't be a...

• mimimomy
    6 years ago

Hi cpartist, I am sorry for your bad experience. I know even all the "due diligence" in the world can't protect from something going wrong. Our builder built 6-8 homes a year. A former customer did recommend I talk to our builder, but it was actually the hundreds of questions I asked that made me know for sure, because he answered every question without any pause. We just developed a great rapport!

Look with a very critical eye at spec homes. Some builders I ruled out based on their spec homes... good grief, if they don't care enough to make their spec home pretty close to perfect (cabinet drawers crashing into countertop edges!) what is the chance that they will do better on my home? Absolutely wouldn't work with someone who put a home like that on the market as a representation of his/her work.

One other thing that speaks volumes about a builder is what does his/her employees say? I literally never heard one bad word about this builder from his employees, from his subs, anyone. When I walked into the pool store just a few minutes after signing the contract on our house, the pool builder asked who was building our home. I told her. Totally unsolicited she said "He is a great builder and such a wonderful man."

Maybe I was just lucky (I sure think I was!) but the bottom line is that when spending well, a heck of a lot of money, a builder should be educating you, not making you feel stupid. It's a partnership, and if it's not, you have the wrong builder.

Just my thoughts, and again, sorry for your not-so-good experience.

• Tammie T. T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Mimi. Very helpful. Also, I have a Mimi too....cute. Since you mentioned pools did you have yours done with the build or after it was done? Also was there any prep work that needed to be done to ensure that land could support a pool...like checking septic location, utility lines, etc.
  • mimimomy
    6 years ago

Hi Tammie. I used the pool builder recommended by my builder. I think ours was pretty straightforward. I think you'll need to check with a pool builder for your area.

• 07Cooper
    6 years ago

Look with a very critical eye at spec homes. Some builders I ruled out based on their spec homes... good grief, if they don't care enough to make their spec home pretty close to perfect (cabinet drawers crashing into countertop edges!) what is the chance that they will do better on my home? Absolutely wouldn't work with someone who put a home like that on the market as a representation of his/her work.

I can attest to that. I did my homework; interviewed references and visited their homes. Thank goodness there was an open house at one of the builders spec homes and I happened to notice as I drove past.The quality of workmanship was unbelievably bad. Shocking that the builder or super would let it go to market like that and these were expensive homes.