SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta Lakesides only 2017

This is my favorite hosta group so show us your Lakesides today

Comments (56)

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

These are all beautiful! I don’t have any Lakesides yet... I’ll have to remedy that. Did someone write that the Lakesides are more heat-tolerant than most... or am I remembering that wrong?

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

Not the best pic here, but, the flowers on LS Slick Chick struck me as being very dainty and feminine.

• Related Discussions

Hosta Alphabet - Other L hostas (no Lakesides)

Q

Comments (8)
    LIBERTY - just planted last year but already a beauty! LIVERPOOL WHITE the only white I see is bird doo! LONDON FOG LOVELY RITA LOYALIST LUNAR ORBIT
    ...See More

Lakeside Hostas.....Lower Midwest/Upper South Favorites

Q

Comments (11)
    The vast majority of LS Hostas went on the market, before any had reached the mature stage. So, there were a number of them that failed the test of time. I have tried growing about 20 different ones and all have failed in my garden, which contains about 1000 other Hostas. Other Hosta gardeners in this area have had similar results. Therefore, I will not knowingly purchase another one. There is at least one grower in my area that removes the LS prefix from his stock, hoping, I suppose, that new Hosta aficionados won't know they are purchasing a Hosta that is almost certainly destined to fail! Just my experience and opinion, FWIW. Rb
    ...See More

Hosta "Lakeside Little Tuft"

Q

Comments (3)
    Amazing growth for one year. I bought mine in 2008 but it wasn't doing much (tree root competition). I moved it into more sun in 2013 and now it's doing better. Moral of the story: don't plant the minis under trees unless they get GOOD sun and plenty of water.
    ...See More

Hosta L 2016 (No Lakesides)

Q

Comments (54)
    Liberty is one heck of a hosta, as shown by your photos! It was the one that blew me away last year. You'd think I had photo edited the color! But I think Tiddisolo and I took our Liberty pictures at about the same time---during the time of the intense yellow border. Then later. What a transformation. From a different angle: Now Lancifolia can't compare with Liberty, but last season I found a new appreciation for it. I decided to divide my very old clump into several divisions. I thought: how can we not appreciate a hosta that does not require much upkeep; I've never had much frost damage and forms a perfectly round neat shape! Here is one of the divisions potted up.
    ...See More
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    6 years ago

Since it's Lakeside time, here goes. I added my first last spring, Lakeside Cupcake. I'm perplexed where to place this little beauty. It looked like C__P in a very short time with a little sun and some slug attention. I think I moved it twice. Adding my abuse and mother natures, I'm wondering if I should just count my losses. You can see the sad little thing in my photo, all the plants around it are happy, this was before it looked it's worst. My first thought is it's just not tough enough for my liking : (

Sherry

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    6 years ago

I finally jumped on the Lakeside bandwagon after seeing a photo of Steve in Mass beautiful Lakeside Frosted Mint.

Lakeside Dividing Line new last year.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I didn't know there were so many Lakesides!..I see why Paula gave Lakesides their own post..have an unidentified that could be a Dragonfly..should take a good look this year..

Karin..is Lakeside Lollipop fragrant?..has white blooms right?..thought of you when I saw this..but you need a raise because you bought lots of hostas! haha..

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    6 years ago

Okay, I have questions! I have a good amount of hosta but I am completely oblivious to this Lakeside thing. How are they different from regular hostas?

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 years ago

Lakeside Spellbinder

Lakeside Shore Master in early spring.

• bkay2000
    6 years ago

Maybe heat tolerant is the wrong description. That is probably a side effect of their breeding. They were bred in Tennessee by Mary Chastain specifically for a longer growing season. In an article I read, she said she hated it when her hosta went down before the frost. So, she bred hosta to look better longer in her extended growing season.

Rob Canning bought the whole kit and caboodle a few years ago and moved everything to Michigan. He, I understand, is still breeding hosta and marketing them as Lakesides. It's not likely that hosta he breeds will have the same properties as the ones bred by Ms. Chastain. However, I don't keep up with things as closely as I used to, so am not up on what is happening now in regards to Lakeside hosta.

If you check the hostalibrary.org, you will find Lakesides have their own section there as well.

bkay

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 years ago

For those with questions, Mary Chastain was a hosta hybridizer who named
    all her hostas Lakeside ______ . She lived in Tennessee
    so they've been said to be good in warmer southern climates as well as anywhere else one can grow hostas.

I found this older interview you might want to read... Interview with Mary Chastain

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

Flintstones chewables almost make me spew my coffee! You are certainly getting a great range of LS's Paula.

LS Cupcake - mine had a rough year too Sherry, between non stop buckets of rain & deer it was pretty horrendous generally.

LS Dot Com

LS Down Sized - I really need to move that seedling this year.

LS Looking Glass

LS Old Smokey

LS Paisley Print

LS Tee Ki

No pics of LS Cupid's Cup, Keepsake, Love Affair, Midnight Miss, Rhapsody, Spellbinder or Zesty Zeno.

Need Prophecy & Prophecy Fulfilled, Frosted Mint plus....

• mbug_gw
    6 years ago

Like the Dinos, Paula! Best Wishes!!

Lakeside Paisley Print 6-20-17

Lakeside Lollipop

Lakeside Dragonfly

Lakeside Shore Master 6-23-17

Lakeside Neat Petite.....pretty little one

Lakeside Kaleidoscope

Lakeside Black Mama

Lakeside Midnight Miss

Lakeside Cupcake

Lakeside Meter Maid 6-28-17

• mbug_gw
    6 years ago

One more LS....

Lakeside San Ho Tia.... new one. If anyone has a mature one I would love to see it.

Rob Canning is still a great source for LS and other Hosta, as bkay said.... including some original stock. Several of mine came from Rob. https://www.facebook.com/groups/robshostas/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

You have a lot of masterfully grown hosta, mbug. Making me so anxious to do some garden touring this year. Any hosta conventions coming your way soon?

• garyz6ohio
    6 years ago

Lakeside Banana Bay

L.S. Beach Bum

L.S. Cup Cake

L.S. Dividing Line

L.S. Frosted Mint

and a blurry (sorry) L.S. Peppermint Sticks

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    6 years ago

sandyslopes..great article about Mary Chastain..now Lakesides are even more appealing to me knowing the story behind them..

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

nicholsworth, I don't think Ls Lollipop is fragrant. It has cute white flowers and the contrast with the dark green leaves is nice. I will check this summer :-)

The new stairs are ordered and the plan is made where to put them. The parcels will come in from end of March to June :-) But not as much as last year and mostly dwarf and small hostas.

I would love to have LS Frosted Mint, the color is really special...

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    6 years ago

Ls. Cha Cha, with a weirdy tubular leaf.

LS. Kaleidoscope

LS. Lolipop, new last year.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    6 years ago

I acquired LS Cupcake at an end of season sale last summer, no pics yet. I have LS Little Tuft and Elfin Fire on my wishlist. The only LS I have is LS Paisley Print which I thought was dead but it really is just a slow grower. I've had it for about 3 years.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    6 years ago

I ordered L. Breaking News pre-season last year, but due to a crop failure, I didn't get it. L. Cupcake didn't perform well for me either. I think mine had too much sun and slugs too. I put it in a pot so I could move it around to fine tune its location better next year.

I love the color on L. Old Smokey

My L Paisley Print is still young, but love this leaf.

• beverlymnz4
    6 years ago

I have always wanted Lakeside Cindy Cee but have not yet purchased. Here are my two Lakesides:

Lakeside Paisley Print

Lakeside Cupcake

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 years ago

You're all making me want Paisley Print. Those leaves are so pretty.

peren.all/ Laurie, do you know what that seedling is from? It sure doesn't look like the Down Sized that's hanging over it.

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    6 years ago

I made an effort to get some pics of my expanding Lakeside collection.

As with any group there are some old ones, some very young ones and a few that are struggling. Here are the best of what I have.

Lakeside Baby Face recently divided.

LS. Banana Bay

LS .Breaking News

LS. Cindy Cee

LS. Cupcake

LS. Doodad

LS. Dragonfly

LS. Grandee

Dave

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    6 years ago

A few more

LS. Kaleidoscope

LS. Little Tuft

LS. Miss Muffet

LS. Old Smokey

LS. Paisley Print

LS. Prophecy Fulfilled

LS. Ripples

LS. Shore Master

LS. Zinger

Dave

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

Very nice Lakesides, Dave! Where did you buy Cindy Cee?

I like your LS Old Smokey and LS Ripples, but they seem to be too big for my garden:-)

• old_dirt 6a
    6 years ago

No Lakeside hostas here but I did enjoy a lakeside view last night. lol

Lake Michigan

• zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

Geez, Jerry, flew north for the winter?

Lakeside Babyface

Lakeside Cha Cha — I’d be happier with this one if it grew faster, but it’s very pretty. Wild geranium flower.

Lakeside Dragonfly

Lakeside Kaleidoscope

Lakeside Shore Master

Lakeside Surf Runner — I have great plans for this one. It has a new bed prepared for it. When I lift that spin out bag to transplant it, I’m hoping no vole has chewed a hole through the bag!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    6 years ago

Now I want Paisley Print and Midnight Mass!

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

Thanks for the info, sandyslopes and bkay. Very interesting!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    6 years ago

Sandyslopes, hope you do purchase a Lakeside Paisley Print. You will love it. The interview link with Mary Chaisson very informative!

Thanks for making an effort of posting pictures of your Lakesides, Tiddisolo---so many great ones!

Lakeside Paisley Print (thought it was so nice that I bought a second one!)

Lakeside Love Affaire

Still going strong in October (below):

No picture of my newly acquired Lakeside Prophecy Fulfilled. So glad I finally purchased it!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

sandyslopes my best guess is that the seedling under LS Down Sized is from Mystic Star. I quite like it so I will be happy when I move it and get to see the blooms.

Great looking LS Love Affair newhostalady. Happy you got Prophecy Fulfilled it is gorgeous.

So many great ones here. They are clearly very popular over the pond too!

• dowlinggram
    6 years ago

I just ordered lakeside meter maid. It stood out among all the other hostas offered. Glad to know there are so many fans and I anxious to get mine and see it in person

I see there are many more I'd like to have but maybe another year

• mbug_gw
    6 years ago

Thanks, StevePa.......secret is only take pictures when they look good...lol!

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

On order: Shore Master, Old Smokey, and Love Affaire. I think I need to seek out a LS Breaking News as well.

Nice collection Dave in Wales!

• Barb Ure Drouillard 6b Canada
    6 years ago

Just one, Lakeside Paisley Print

• miles10612
    6 years ago

I've got 2 Lakeside Paisley Prints--the larger one has grown very well--I bought a small one which has languished. I also have 3 Lakeside Shoremaster. I got Lakeside Prophecy and Prophecy Fulfilled at the very end of the season--hope they do well this coming year. I started out getting them because I thought that I could get hostas which would be deep green (like the pictures on the Hosta Library) and contrast well with my variegated leaves but then I was told that no one has ever seen that color outside of Mary Chastain's garden.

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    6 years ago

What lovely Lakesides. I only have two to show and 1 I don't know what is going on with it.

Lakeside Dragonfly new last year, she has grown nicely.

Lakeside Black Satin in June also new last year

This is LS Black Satin in August, I am not sure why the new leaves do not have color.

LS Black Satin in October, the new leaves looking very strange. I am hoping this is because it is a new plant.

• zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

Beth, that LS Black Satin looks like it might be planted too deep. I almost lost my Earth Angel when she sunk down into the whiskey barrel she was in.

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    6 years ago

zkathy, thank you for the advice I will check black satin's planting depth in the spring if she comes back up.

• mae (zone 5b On)
    6 years ago

miles10612, Re: the colour of Mary Chastain's hostas.... I've read that an addition of Epsom Salts will make a green hosta darker and more vigorous. Also helps in controlling slugs. I've never actually tried it so don't know if it really works.

• miles10612
    6 years ago

I am going to try that this year. When I ordered some plants from Rob Canning that were being offered online here in 2016, I asked him about the deep green hostas pictured in the Hosta Library. He indicated that the pictures taken at Mary Chastain's were accurate but that others have not had luck in duplicating them in their yards. That being said, I still like my Lakeside hostas but I would sure like some of them to be darker green.

• mctavish9
    6 years ago

I love most of the Lakesides. Lk. Black Satin has been moved around the garden since 2003. It hasn't grown much at all and never looks like it should. I also have 2 Lk. Paisley Prints. One of them started to look like it was happy last year. As to being Dark Green Lk. Storm Watch has been the most successful for me so far.

Most of my favorites have already been posted above but here are a few others.

I've had Lk. Blue Jeans since 2006. It never did well. I finally moved it in 2016 to the east side of this wall. It really started to shine.

• miles10612
    6 years ago

Storm Watch does look dark green--In the Country Garden has it for sale, perhaps I will get it this year? Blue Jeans looks very blue, how long does it keep that nice color in your yard?

• mctavish9
    6 years ago

Hi Miles. Yes this plant does keep its color. It has become one of my favorite blues. It's in a bright east facing location which I think helps. Here is a picture from the beginning of Aug. this year.

Here is a picture from 2016 at the end of Sept. which was the first year in this spot.

• koffman99
    6 years ago

Lakeside Grumpy Green

Lakeside Uh-Huh

Lakeside Blue Confusion

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

koffmann, we haven't seen you for a while...Please come back in summer with more pictures of those big Lakesides :-)

• Kindness Matters (NE Ohio 6a)
    6 years ago

mctav, your blue hostas always get my attention! The Lakeside Blue Jeans is beautiful, and the two blues to the left of Lakeside Sparkle Plenty look nice too. This time I gotta ask about a yellow hosta though. If you don't mind, could you tell me what is to the right of Lakeside Storm Watch?

I don't have any Lakesides yet, but your guys' Paisley Print looks tempting (as does that Blue Jeans). I had to stop adding any more names to my wish list since it got way too long with this year's alphabet and I probably won't be able to add many hostas on this year. Anxious (and excited) to see if all of last year's additions come back this Spring, and how they look this year. Pip counting can't get here soon enough!

• don_in_colorado
    6 years ago

Lakeside Roy El

• koffman99
    6 years ago

Karin, I not unlike my Hosta, tend to hibernate during the winter. But now that I have pips galore I will definately be posting more. I may have to wait until some get grown though, because I didnt tag my Lakesides last year, and a majority of them are in identical pots. So, it may take until June until I am sure which plant is which. No worries though, I'm sure I will have some quick ID's on most of them.

• luvsflwrs
    6 years ago

If we ever thaw out enough here in New England, my one and only Lakeside might grow. Then I can post a photo and ask for help with ID! LOL!

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

Hibernating through winter sounds so good koffman, I should try myself :-) Not many pips here so far, still temperatures below zero and spring takes it's time this year...

Ordered Lakeside Khum Khaw and get Lakeside Neat Petite from a friend, will be interesting to see them together.