SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
courtney_holmes2361825

Soil Food Web Success? Zone 9a Northeast Florida

So I tend to do things extreme and then settle down to modifications that make my goals more achievable. I have gone vegetarian, and then settled on just a low meat diet with organic meat and diary. I have tried to go Zero Waste and now just own less and try to avoid packaging when it is relatively easy. I want to avoid fertilizers and insecticides. I just started gardening last year and bought a bunch of "organic" fertilizer only to learn that organic fertilizer ain't that much better for the environment.

So I have learned a bit about the soil food web from "Teaming with Microbes: The Organic Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web" and I would like to just rely on the natural ecosystem to feed my plants. Has anyone had success with this and avoided fertilizers with complete success? Or have you found that some plants need specific soil additives and there is no way to modify the soil so it's on ecosystem supplies the nurtients on it's own.

So far I have taken these steps to avoid chemicals:

1. Removing sod in the backyard and replacing it with flower beds.

2. Will be creating a white dutch clover lawn or micro clover lawn this spring for the front yard.

3. Mulching all my beds with pine straw and adding Black Kow topsoil to the plantings.

4. Using neem and horticultural oil for pests.

5. Composting and using the production for topsoil on plants.

6. Planting native plants - not all native, but a good percentage.

7. Planting plants in the right spot and categorized for my zone.

Can you tell me your challenges and lengths you went to avoid the additives, before you settled on them?

Are my goals too extreme, or is this possible?

Comments (14)