SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_48006925

Should I swap my busy granite for high quality laminate?

User
6 years ago

Hello Houzz! Forgive me in advance for any grammatical or spelling errors, English isn't my first language.

I am a proud homeowner who bought my first home when I was 24 years old. Buying a home was an especially important part of my life as I am the first person in my family to actually own their own home. While I'm happy to live where I live and to just have a roof over my head, I feel my patience with this home has worn thin over the years. The previous owner did some questionable upgrades. I've been in my home for about 4 years and I hate the kitchen countertops and backsplash more and more with each passing day. I inherited a very busy backsplash and granite countertop remodel (I like to joke that my countertop resembles that "Starry Night" painting). My main quip with the backsplash is that it is rough and doesn't sit flush against the wall like title, making it hard to wipe down. It pops out and more closely resembles the type of stone you'd see on a fireplace remodel. It's actually quite jagged. I am just not content with the colors, style and functionality of the kitchen remodel.

Am I out of my mind to consider removing the granite and replacing it with high quality marble laminate? I could very well install actual marble at this point, but I don't think that would be the most pragmatic move for me. I don't plan on making this my forever home. I recently painted the cabinets and installed hardware. Painting the walls is next on my list. I was hoping to change to a white marble looking countertop with some white or grey herringbone subway tile for a backsplash. Just an idea. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (30)