SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrtedaldi

Feeling "blah" in beige!

Jacqui
6 years ago

Confession: I want to be a great home designer, but in the end, I don't think I quite have the talent. We moved into a 1960's cape-cod three years ago in Westchester, NY. The house is approximately 1600 square feet with only an eat-in kitchen (no dining room) and two bedrooms downstairs with two bedrooms upstairs. Aside from the other rooms being a challenge, I struggle most with our living room. When you walk into our front door, you are immediately in the living room (I'm sure the feng shui experts would have something to say about this). Also, it is the heart of our home and leads to the kitchen and a hallway. Not to mention the front door and stairs as well. How can I make it feel cozy/comfortable but also stylish? I always tend to use neutral colors and this room just leaves me feeling...well...blah. I tried adding some accents of wine/burgundy in the curtains and pillows. My style is traditional/classy with a touch of elegance (without the expense). I want it to feel like a breath of fresh air when I walk in and also a place that I just want to sit and relax.

How can I make this space work without incurring a major expense? The furniture has to stay as does the fireplace marble which is green. We considered painting the wood of the fireplace white but since we use it so often, we are concerned it will get stained with soot fairly quickly. I thought maybe having the fireplace wall be an accent wall but it is difficult not to clash with the green marble and the blue paint in the kitchen. Any advice is welcome. I have included two angles so you can see the room's configuration. Thank you my Houzz friends!

Comments (30)