SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elenaning

How much hedging plants to plant vs. fence boundary alternative

elenaning
6 years ago

Hello Houzz community,

I'm sharing the current state of my backyard (none of the furnitures and pots are there now, was pre-sell staging pictures). As you can see, just a blank canvass.

In terms of privacy, the first picture shows one side of the fence needing privacy screen from the 3 story apartment. Plus the fence is tilting and needs some aesthetic coverage.

In the second picture, the back fence's vine is going to go and probably needs some privacy for the adjacent apartment as well.

In the second picture as well, the right side (3rd side) does not need as much privacy as neighbor does have some tall trees and it's an house and not apartment. And the fence is in good shape.

3rd picture is the design I have. As you could see, the plan is to hedge all around with Pittosporum or Podocarpus.

My objective is to meet my minimum need of some privacy on the one side of fence and the back fence without ruining the overall aesthetics with affordability.

My questions are:

1. Can I only hedge 2 sides of the fence? Will it look odd? How about spacing of these hedging plants? Do I need as much as the design plan? (I'm okay without the full hedging, just to block direct looking over from the apartment will be sufficient)

2. On the good neighbor side, if I don't do hedging, what other cheaper alternatives do I have? Is it weird to leave the whole space with mulch?

3. Anything from the design you see could be cut or replaced with cheaper alternative in terms of planting?

I'm thinking about planting 5 gallons of hedging to save expense since some vertical length is more important to me than width.

Appreciate your help!!!

Comments (14)