SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spinnicker

Crown of Thorns Diagnosis

spinnicker
6 years ago

Hello,

I have had a large crown of thorns for approximately a year now. At the end of our Canadian summer I placed it a couple feet away from a South West Window in a house kept at ~20 degrees celsius. I had been watering it sparingly every couple of weeks until I broke from routine approximately 3-4 weeks ago and watered thoroughly until water came out the drainage hole. About 2 weeks ago the thorough watering the plant began to wilt and some of the lower leaves lightened in color. I haven't watered the plant since, but it has not perked back up. Three weeks after the watering I inserted a long water meter into the top and bottom of the pot and it indicated complete dryness (although I realize this isn't a certainty).

The soil is well-draining, but the pot is large and plastic and much of the soil's surface is crowded by the plant. I'm wondering if the soil wasn't able to dry out fast enough and rot has now set in. I haven't yet examined the roots, but that will be my next step.

Conversely, the stem appears to be shrivelled just like that of an underwatered succulent that has lost it's turgidity. I haven't witnessed these symptoms in this plant before so I'd greatly appreciate if someone could help me interpret.

Note: The "lesions" you can see in the last photo are placed where stems have been cut for propagation in the past.

Thank you.

Comments (29)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I can't really offer much help. I have E. milii, and water it bit more often in warm temps - probably closer to 1x/week (not on any schedule, just when I think it is dry). Maybe you underwatered it to begin with? - roots may have dried up and when you started to water more often and more (volume), maybe they couldn't take in any water.

My plant is now getting much less water, but it is in colder temps. I have 'killed one with kindness' = too much water, before.

• spinnicker
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for your reply.

When you overwatered the plant did the stems look similar to those shown in my photos?

In my experience with crotons I've noticed that their leaves wilt from over and under watering, but the cause is still distinguishable; when overwatered the leaves tend to be very flaccid to the touch (they'll drape over a finger like damp paper) and when underwatered they're more rigid despite being angled downward.

The foliage of my crown of thorns more closely represents an overwatered croton, but I have no idea if the two plants are comparable in that way.

• Related Discussions

Crown of thorns red leaf underside

Q

Comments (0)
    I'm caring for a friend's crown of thorns while she's away for an extended period. I don't think it's a Thai hybrid as the red flowers seem to be of "regular" size. One thing I have noticed, however, is that the underside of the leaves are red. I have 7 COT of my own and all of them are green on the underside, except for a newer pink one which has a bare hint of red on some lower leaves. I also notice that the leaves seem to curl on the friend's COT, showing off the red. It's in full sun, as are all my COT's, and they're all getting plenty of water as we've been getting nearly daily rains (yes, the pots have drainage holes). I'd appreciate guidance from those of you who are more experienced than me. Does the COT below look OK? Should I be treating it differently? Perhaps more shade or ? June
    ...See More

Crown of Thorns stems question

Q

Comments (10)
    It's a very nice plant, tho' I don't see a graft line either. Glad you suggested doing that Escolat, tho' I've never grown the Thai hybrids myself. I've grown a favorite Euph milii variety that I've hacked back really hard, repeatedly & it comes back w/ vigor, even indoors w/ NY winters. A recent pic. Some of its lankier times, I posted this showing how it collapsed when thirsty, then I cut off the less upright arm. The earlier of these 2 shots shows better the growth at its base (in shadow admittedly). I need a more current pic, there's blooms at the bottom now too. Confirms to me, come Spring, I too am going to take off the top & re-root exactly as you plan. There's also the former other arm, now in bloom pix as well to come.
    ...See More

Cut back crown of thorns

Q

Comments (2)
    Euphorbia milii is not a Euph. w/ damaging sap, tho' it is always good to be careful. I have a 1/2 dozen of them & handle them barehanded often. Mine aren't that tall so I've never cut one that height, don't now if it'll cause it to branch or not. One of the more dangerous ones, needing serious caution IIRC is E. tirucalli (firesticks).
    ...See More

Crown of Thorns problems

Q

Comments (16)
    Here's how mine looks. It has some partial shade, as it is planted near a wall, as you can see. Mine is planted in sandy soil and never gets fertilized, that I know of. Photo is from January 8 of this year. Our annual rainfall is 113 mm | 4.4 inch, but it does get occasional water from an irrigation system. Our climate is also quite hot in the summer and mild in the winter. I think you should put your plant outside during the summer. The fresh air might do it some good. Also, good drainage is a must. I recommend repotting it at least every two years as well, and check the roots, if you want to grow it indoors. The roots need to spread out if you want it to be bushier. I personally do not have experience growing this in pots, but I do have it in my front yard in Los Angeles, in addition to my patio area in Cathedral City.
    ...See More
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

It is almost 5yrs since I killed it and unfortunately, I didn't take photo of it when dying. It was variegated plant, here it is when still OK:

I know for sure I overwatered it, because it rotted. Stems started looking similar to what I circled in your photo - BUT pls. understand I am looking just at the photo and could be seeing something that is not there:

Stems turned rather soft, at least close to soil line, and started to collapse.

I think your description of under- and over-watered leaves is quite correct. Underwatered leaves dry up much faster, feel more crispy/rigid to begin with.

If my plant, I would take it out of soil and check the roots. But I really do not know much about them, maybe another of our members will chime in...perhaps aloebot? or someone else that grows them.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Last year I didn't protect my big Crown of Thorns very well and we received lots if rain. There were many stems that were mushy. I honestly thought last winter was going to kill my plant. Other winters it would drop 90% of it's leaves, but last year it was a mushy nightmare. It bounced back.

I just had to cut back all the rotten parts till there was good flesh.

How much of the plant is mushy?

• User
    6 years ago

I have had one for 4 or 5 years indoors over wintered. Only do I water when the flowers and leaves show signs of wilting and or dropping. You can always do some pruning later as there are plenty of canes.

• spinnicker
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kara, the stems do feel softer/squishier than I remember them being, and it's certainly worse closer to the soil. If rot is starting closest to the roots I'm guessing the only way to prune and save it is by rooting some cuttings. Is that correct?

Matt, I don't have a memory of what the wilt looks like when it occurs from underwatering. Is it similar to or distinct from what you see in the photos?

Rina, I'm worried that you may be correct. I've been postponing checking out the roots because the plant is so large and overflowing from the pot... it'll be a bit of a struggle. However, if the stems and leaves don't give clear indications then I should probably suck it up.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

I'm 50/50 with your plant. Mine had the same issues as yours last year. Some stems just turned to mush from all the rain and cold, but I just left it and pruned all the bad stems. The plant grew back fine. But if you feel like something is really wrong beneath the surface than by all means take it out of the pot and check:).

Be careful of the white sap that you may encounter. It's toxic so keep away from mucous membranes and skin.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    6 years ago

Hold it there, I don't believe the sap on these is a problem. I think Kara you're confusing them w/ another Euph (the Pencil Cactus, E tirucallli, is it?). I would say, beware the spines, some are very sharp.

I handle these bare handed all the time, I suspect Meyer Mike does too. I'd gifted him a white blooming E millii I love & will be getting a cutting back next Spring.

I grow indoors only, but here's a cousin E. miliii v. marlotti

I've never seen E miliii stems look like yours do, I'm sorry to say I think that's sign of trouble. I too would unpot to check the roots. Maybe spread out some newspaper & turn the whole thing out. I'm realizing you may find the roots dried out.

Pls do take some cuttings for safety sake. Work w/ a small cup of water next to you, just drop the newly cut cuttings into the water for a few moments, or mist the stem ends, both of which will stop the sap flow.

I don't have a pic of this plant's mix, but yours doesn't appear to be fast draining, it needs to be porous, larger particled like this (from Ceropegia pots). I use pumice in my mixes, that's the whitish grey pieces you see.

Is your soil hard to the touch? Does it pull away from the edges of the pot? I think your plants are thirsty, I'd give them a big drink, then wait a day to see its response.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    6 years ago

cont'd.

I can't speak to Canadian cold, but I grow these year round in NY on top of my AC on windows which get cold in winter, tho' right now, the heat is blasting below the AC. These bloom pix are current, they're in active bloom now.

E miliis are a bit odd.

They're succulents, but they're thirsty & benefit from deep & frequent watering, which doesn't make sense for a succulent. But since I was given the specific advice abt these, to give them more water & fertilizer than one would a succulent, mine are in bloom 9 months of the year.

For your cuttings, pls. use the healthiest looking tips, 3-4" long should be fine.

Pls. check back & tell & or show us what you find on repotting.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Crown of Thorns sap is bad too. I can prune my Euphorbia tirucalli 'Firestick' without gloves and have zero issues, but others get major reactions. My mom gets a rash in minutes. Best to be safe than sorry.

• spinnicker
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Incase it's helpful, here's a video demonstrating the condition of the leaves:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/skf6wh2m17u191r/File%202018-01-17%2C%2012%2046%2017%20PM.mov?dl=0

Annnnd one more picture

• spinnicker
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Karen, do you have the impression that the soil isn't fast-draining because of the plant's symptoms or my initial description of watering? To clarify, I don't know how long the soil took to dry after being thoroughly watered (until it drained out the bottom of the pot). Prior to that watering session, I had been giving the plant conservative weekly drinks. It could be that the soil is incredibly fast draining and the plant has dried out because I withheld water assuming that a heavier drink should be followed by a longer abstinence.

• spinnicker
    Original Author
    6 years ago

For comparison, here is a photo of my mother's healthy plant started from the same cuttings:

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

Did you compare conditions of your mother's plant and yours? - soil it is potted in; frequency of watering; temps...

• spinnicker
    Original Author
    6 years ago

They're potted in the same soil, but her house is cooler (around 18-19 degrees Celcius), her plant is in a sunnier window, and she hardly waters it in the winter months.

Edit: I should add that my mother's houseplants tend to die, but currently- it looks healthy.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

That sounds good - cooler it is, succulents should be watered less.

If my plant, I would def. take all out of present pot/soil. I would discard any stems that are mushy - soft, showing any sign of rot. I would pot each healthy enough looking into separate pots so in case another is rotting, it won't infect rest. Separately, there would be also better air circulation rather than pot crowded with many stems. If you like full pots, they can be potted together once they are healthy. I don't think there is anything to loose - if there is rot, they will just continue dying off. Can't really see well, but they look potted quite low - meaning there is not enough soil to keep stems higher. That also gives much better air circulation around stems, and also light all the way to soil line. Easier to keep clean of fallen debris too.

• spinnicker
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm unsure of what the growths are. The roots do not appear to be rotten, but they were incredibly tightly bound. This took hours. I can't separate the stems- it seems that they are offshoots and connect beneath the soil line. I'm repotting in a terracotta pot using cactus soil with added perlite.

• spinnicker
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm unsure of what the growths are. The roots do not appear to be rotten, but they were incredibly tightly bound. This took hours. I can't separate the stems- it seems that they are offshoots and connect beneath the soil line. I'm repotting in a terracotta pot using cactus soil with added perlite.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

The roots look OK to me.

So according to what you say, it was very potbound. How long was it in same pot? Those stems do not look quite right to me - either rot or frost damage - but I am just guessing, trying to judge from photos. Did you try to feel if they are soft? - hard to do with spiny stems, but I would try.

I tried to take pics of trunks of my plant as close to soil line as possible but it isn't easy since there is a Thanksgiving cactus in same pot, so it is crowded. Soil is quite bad, and there is still debris from maple trees that was blown in, and pics are bit hazy...sorry, but here is all I can get. Stems look different than yours - full (not sure if that's good description):

...and just about 1" higher:
    and still bit higher:
    Maybe all branches grew from just one piece? If one really wants to, they can be cut apart. Did you plant cuttings? If not, do you know who did?

What is this?:

I have never seen that kind of trunk on E. milii - it looks like few stems were grafted? On what???

• spinnicker
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I didn't plant the cuttings. I agree that it appears to have been grafted, but I have no idea what it was grafted onto. It's been in the same pot for at least 2 years. I may be able to gather more information from the person who gave it to me.

The stems are indeed concerning.

Do you recognize those tumor-like growths on the stem (just above the soil line in the photo you circled)?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

That looks like 'graft union' - not sure if that is correct term. Below is whatever they used to graft on. I would be very interested to find out what is going on there...and why it was grafted in the first place?

Plants are grafted usually because they lack chlorophyll and can't survive on their own (like common Moon cactus - red, yellow, pink and similar tops); or because plant is very slow growing. I believe there could be some other reasons, but these are most common. This plant doesn't have either 'problem', so I am quite surprised to see it. Pls, post if you find out!

What is the condition of the stems that seems to be grafted? (above the 'union'). Any chance of a close-up photo?

Roots of your plant look quite good in the photos you posted, that's why I am inclined to believe it may have a frost damage.

• User
    6 years ago

Grafted! that's a first. Kerry that sounds like good plan for it. It does look awfully dry though. A pot that size even at 68-70F will dry out in a week when it's that crowded. I hope it turns around for you. That ugly section of stem can just be cut out which if you do will help the plant get more light and air.

• spinnicker
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here's a close up:

And here's its current state:

I have since given it a thorough watering.

I've also learned more about its past. Apparently no grafting was done (which leaves me stumped), and it was kept indoors so there wasn't any frost damage.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

I have been thinking about this and looking at the photos. As much as it looks like graft to me, MAYBE - most likely - I AM WRONG and there is no grafting! I apologise for reacting without really thinking about it, it was just so odd looking to me.

I kept looking at my plant. If you look closely at this photo:

Parts of stems I circled look very similar to what is in your photo, just much, much shorter. Maybe that's how really old stems look? Much smoother, no spines. What baffles me is that weird growth that I thought is graft union. I do not know what that could be. Maybe just how it healed after being cut and plant decided to grow branches anyway??? Bark will eventually grow over the cut to protect plant; look at this photo of Ficus Benjamina - bark is slowly growing over the wound:

I don't see anything similar on my plant, you can see thorns further up on the stem. I don't know how old my plant is, it was given to me and I was told : I had it for a long time...3 stems are now 32", 42" and 52" tall, so maybe it is old.

• spinnicker
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I was told that my plant is about 8 years old

• spinnicker
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you to everyone for the abdvice. Since repotting and watering the leaves have not yet perked up, but perhaps they are beyond recovery and the stems will sprout new growth.

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

I can tell you that once the hot sun comes back it will do really well.

And, because you bare rooted it, it will react to the shock especially this time of the year, but should bounce back over time even looking not so good during the process.

because your plant is so dense, I would make sure there is good air movement so as to dry out any water that gets between the trunks and make sure to water often, so that the soil never goes bone dry. Your plant at the start looks under watered to me and the roots look perfectly fine.

This plant can look dead, wilted, loose all their leaves if not watered properly.

• spinnicker
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Mike, I'll continue to care for it and put it outside once summer hits.