SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zonefive

Need help identifying and reducing the size of some evergreen shrubs

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I recently moved from zone 5b to zone 7b (North Carolina) and need to cut back some overgrown evergreen shrubs. I have identified some of them, but need help with a few others. Since I'm new to this zone, I'm not at all familiar with these plants. The house is about 20 years old and many of these shrubs could be that old.

First off are some fall blooming camellia. There are several that have overgrown their space and I'd like to reduce them by one-third to one-half if possible. They are currently about 7 feet tall and trimmed into round shapes. Can I safely cut these back, which may leave mostly leafless branches? If so, how many seasons will they require to return to a reasonable appearance?

Second are some gardenias which are very similar in appearance to the camellia, but only about 6 feet tall. Again, can I safely reduce them by one-third to one-half and how long to return to a reasonable appearance?

The third shrub still has a tag attached from when it was planted, "Ilex Compacta". There are several plants here that have become an overgrown mass in front of some windows. They need to be reduced to just a couple of feet tall. Their current size is about 5 feet high by 6 feet deep by 10 feet wide. Can I safely cut them back to about 2 feet tall, which I'm sure will leave only stumps? If so, how long until they recover to a decent appearance?

Fourth are two unknown evergreens on either side of the above Ilex Compacta. Each side consists of two plants grown together and are roughly 7 feet tall by 6 feet wide by 4 feet deep. Can you identify them and can I safely reduce them to one-half? How long until they recover?

The final shrub is another unknown evergreen, possibly a holly based on the sharp stiff leaves. It's made up of several plants forming a hedge about 5 feet tall by 6 feet deep by 15 feet wide. Any idea what it is and can I reduce this to one-half? How long until it recovers?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (6)