SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ptangwai

Leveling a concrete floor--in sections?

P TW
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are replacing the old carpet in our basement with vinyl tile (likely a loose lay). The concrete floor underneath is fairly flat (some small dips) but then we discovered that a high-traffic corner is actually quite uneven: a raised patch (about 1/4 inch high, 1 foot wide, a few feet long--like a mini speed bump) and some sunken areas in or around that same patch. So we think we may need to use a self-leveling product.

Questions: can leveling be done in sections with some kind of dam in place? Would there be problems where the two edges come together? If we feather the edge of the first area will the leveler stick to it when we do the second area? I would like to try just leveling that corner and then seeing if the entire floor is flat enough, but we might end up needing to level more sections and I worry about the leveler sticking to another layer of leveler.

I would love to level and then floor the entire basement at once but we have large items in the basement that we cannot reasonably get up the stairs and out of the way without likely damaging them or injuring ourselves (large exercise machines). So we would have to do it like those sliding kids puzzles: level an area, move items on it, level the newly cleared area, floor it, move the items back, complete the floor. The partially completed floor would have its edge planks glued/taped down to help keep them from shifting as we moved the items.

Thanks!

Comments (4)