SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrea_hill22

Can shelving brackets look as great as they function?

Andrea Hill
6 years ago

I have a recurring need for flexible shelving, particularly given space our restrictions. As much as I like the solutions we DIY’d for a makeshift closet in Amsterdam and sourced for a kitchen in Brooklyn, I’ve always wondered why the standard L shelving bracket couldn’t feel more solid or look more playful.

We ordered these industrial shelves on Etsy but researched them on Houzz

DIY closet/shelving for our tiny bedroom - all sourced from Praxis (the Dutch Home Depot)

Since the Houzz community is design savvy and has tons of hands-on experience, I’d love your feedback. I’m new to product design but not to dreaming up a wishlist of design improvements after 2 renovations.

I’m prototyping the Pyramid Bracket - a jewel-like piece inspired by the Memphis Group’s simple geometry- that can be arranged in configurations of 1, 2 or 3 brackets and dozens of material combinations with hardwood shelves. The Pyramid fills in the empty void of the L with solid geometry in bright powder coated colors or sleek metal finishes. I’d love to know if this bracket style fits with anyone else’s aesthetic. Any preference on finishes/colors or wood types? Any amazing shelving brackets you’ve come across that I’ve missed?

Would you find this easy to install (drill required)? Bracket piece is drilled into wall and shelf. Top plate is a spacer so that the cover slides on with a snug fit.

Comments (9)