SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenr__sternberg

Anyone noticing Changes here on navigating this Site

It's subtle but one can't click back up to C&S after reading or posting. It redirects to Houzz stuff asking what am I working on. Same for how to exit a post & continue in the Site. Grrrr.

Also I ran into a post w/ an overt curse in it. Can't remember EVER seeing that before in 15 yrs here, bothered me.

Comments (22)

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

If you go through the Houzz app, it does not even let you edit a post. You have to post all over again after the one you just did. It stinks..

And, I can not save a bookmark anymore. When I press 'save' it does nothing...It's quite aggravating.

• socks
    6 years ago

Yes, about "save." Also, when I click "Your Houzz" I get the spinning ball "waiting for response" before the page opens several seconds later. There must be troubles with the site.

• Related Discussions

Change Notice???

Q

Comments (9)
    You can have my snow. And my temp - it was -11F last night. What do you mean - soft water - RO? I use airconditioner water in summer - first they thrive - and then i see olive tint in the leaves at the end of summer. So - my guess - if the change is not very drastic - you will only see the difference in months... If I use DynaGro - which is better than my other one - Plant Marvel - I will probably see the difference in a couple of months.
    ...See More

Anyone else noticing the change?

Q

Comments (12)
    I am more surrounded by trees these days. I used to be able to track the sun at sunset, over the river, and in the am, by where the sunrise was....in the cedar bush, I just notice the changing patterns of sun and shadow, though not so much shadow before the leaves. But there are longer days - the sun set today at 5:30 pm. Such a treat. And as I continue to sow, and watch my new babies grow, I am so much thinking about the growing season to come!!! Edna - only a month to DST??? Yea!!! Token - great pics!! Perfect rendition of the change!! Nancy.
    ...See More

Question on Site Navigation for the Experienced Forum-Users

Q

Comments (5)
    You'll probably have better luck searching thru Google. Do a search for either patio, deck, or outdoor living space. When you get the 'result' page look at the top and you'll see WEB: IMAGES MAPS NEWS.............click on images. Do the same for your other search results. Below are the images for outdoor living space. Here is a link that might be useful: Example
    ...See More

Houzz improvement? Anyone else notice new comments appear first?

Q

Comments (25)
    Buehl, I think that if a thread or post gets flagged, it will stay visible to the person wo started the thread or posted the comment. But not to anybody else. I'm not 100% sure though. Following the link posted, leads me to a "page not found".
    ...See More
  • mesembs
    6 years ago

I have noticed a couple changes in the site, nothing big, though. For example, at the top of this page, there is a little bubble that has "Cacti & Succulents" in it where there used to be nothing. Again, just a small change, but it might indicate a bigger update that happened.

• Paul MI
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Haven't noticed such issues. After reading a post and hitting "back", it takes me back to the C&S site as always. No trouble editing. I'm using IE if that makes any difference.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

After reading this thread, I went to the 'bubble' up top that says C&S, clicked there & it asked me to get started w/ "Welcome to Houzz advice" & to click on 'get started'. It wants me to select topics of interest, I have no interest in this modified interface whatsoever.

It does not return me to the C&S site as it used to. Now I have to go to my laptop 'tabs' & selected C&S forum which was my default entry to GW.

I no longer seem to be able to just click from one GW/Houzz plant site to another, like from C&S to Houseplants, to Sans. to Hoyas, my 4 main forums of interest.

I know it's their site now, but I HATE IT when folks get it in their heads to fix that which is not broken.

A simple notice of or indicator that they're working on the site & redesigning some navigational features would have been welcome (& appropriate).

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

It's not that I hate change, it's that I'm used to speed, going as fast as I want, not having to slow down to relearn how to do each single task.

If relevant, at home I'm on laptop, at work on PC, using Google Chrome on both.

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

Karen, that is exactly what happened to me too just a while ago. It's a big square that does not let you escape from it unless you click 'continue' or you have to back track. It does not give you the option to say no. What a pain. I did press continue then it went away. So frustrating. Why they have to make all these changes when it's perfectly fine is beyond me.

Mike

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, thanks Mike, we can reassure each other than we're not losing our marbles ... sigh.

I had tried the continue or right arrow, but that got me further into Houzz.

But the BACK button (or left arrow) seems working just fine & importantly, returns me to top of the site w/ the option of other Forums (whew). As Paul said, Back seems to return me to the original top of forum we're used to.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    6 years ago

When you first come to this re-designed site, the pop-up asks you to select the topics that interest you, it creates a list "Your Topics" on the left side, basically shortcuts to your favorite forums, such as this one! Okay, that I like.

I see only two choices of how to view the list of threads, with or without photo. I chose with the photo, but it doesn't have a clean look anymore. I liked the previous look, it feels so cluttered now, my eyes don't have
    a place to settle. I really wish the photo to the thread was on the
    left. The photo and the thread title are too far away from each
    other.

I don't know why we must have a 'top commenters' on the left side, I so don't care, it's just a waste of space on my screen.

So when I click on a thread, the original poster's pics are full size, but all the commenters pics are half the size, if I want to see larger I have to click on it and it opens. :(

• aloebot
    6 years ago

I had pop-ups trying to re-direct me to home improvement sites. This started 3 or 4 months ago. I got so frustrated because they were popping up every time I clicked a topic. I finally went to a Houzz help site and stated that if they didn't turn off the pop-ups I would have to quit using Houzz and miss all of their advertisements. That solved the problem. The pop-ups stopped within one day.

• Gabby C (FL 9A)
    6 years ago

Wasn't there a "bookmark" function before? I swear I used to be able to bookmark posts but now I just see "save" and it goes to my "idea book."

This succulent forum should move to an independent site IMO.

I've always hated how hard it is to stay in the cacti and succulent forum instead of getting re-directed to general houzz.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

You can add me to the group that sees no difference in navigating this site. I have been a member of Garden Web since the days of Spike before the millennium and while I do see various references and redirects to the Houzz side of things, they do not divert me from my regular forums. I access everything the same way and all my regularly visited GW forums - and I visit a bunch of them - are accessed the same way and look exactly the same as they have always done.

I will add that I am always logged in to GW, so that might make a difference. And I bookmark using my browser's bookmark feature (not via Houzz), which can be sorted into various bookmark 'notebooks' - I have a GW notebook, as well as a recipe notebook and a couple of others. Works ideally for me.

Honestly, while I see this same complaint/comment on various forums, I really do not understand why some folks seem to have so much trouble with the site, while my experience is pretty much unchanged since my beginning membership here. It is perplexing and must be maddening for those affected.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

If you see the Houzz screen:

If you see the Houzz type, scroll up to stories and advice. Don't click, just hover. It will bring up a screen for GW. Select Gardening (or one of the others), then select African Violets. That will get you into GW. I usually have "All Discussions" selected.

This is from my post on AV forum. Just pick the forum you want.

Now is anyone figures out how to make the save button work, let me know. They replace bookmark with save and it doesn't work.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

Gabby

It used to be Garden Web until it got gobbled up by houzz...and yes, your saved posts go to Idea book now - this is what houzz says:

..."Your Houzz Bookmarks

Your bookmarks now live in an ideabook, you can save everything in one place!"...

I do not have any problems but am logged on same as gardengal, so maybe that is the difference...

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

Gardengal, I have posted the same instructions on several pages just today. I have started just printing something I really want to keep. I used to look at the "Rate-My-Space" site on HGTV and they pulled the plug. I lost everything I saved.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

Rina, I to am logged in to GW and my link on the computer takes me directly to GW. My old bookmarks are in the folder they talk about, but I can't add any new ones. The save button doesn't do anything.

• robinswfl
    6 years ago

Not me. I am having essentially the same experience that gardengal48 reports above...although I access this site the same way she does and I am on an iMac, which perhaps makes a different. I don't know. I'm not an old-timer here. Found GardenWeb about 6 months before Houzz took it over. I was unhappy to see that happen. But I had bookmarked the "cactus and succulent" page from the start; that and the Sans area are the only two I ever use. When I want to save posts or pictures, I bookmark right onto my Safari saves and retitle in a meaningful-to-me way. I have constantly avoided idea books and any other real interaction with Houzz.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    6 years ago

It’s one of the reasons I use this site less. It’s 2018 and yet it seems like this page is stuck in 2008. All the issues are easily fixed.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    6 years ago

Mmmmh, I’m sure there was a ‘say thanks icon’ somewhere or was I dreaming?

Gill

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Gill, it seems not to be an icon, rather under the Like or Save Icons, my screen shows in green "Say thank you" just below that.

My office GW/Houzz view never returned to normal, I can only read there not post (older password problem). At home I'm on Window 7, at work Windows 10, wonder if that matters here. Now I can't readily switch between different forums.

So many of you by phone now, must be all kinds of interface oddities.

Thanks to Sherry & her tip abt hovering over 'Stories and Advice' I can still get to various forums, just not so easily.

I don't log in & out, just leave it on both here & at work.

Houzz is going to lose people over this, even more than we've already lost.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    6 years ago

Yes, it was in green and not exactly an icon, but positioned wher you said Karen, as you rightly remind me! Lol. Anyway, it’s not there now on my iPad! Stupid Houzz, what have you done now?

Gill

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    6 years ago

My "save" button doesn't work either.

When I am on the c&s page, links will change from green to black when I visit them. If I refresh the page or return later, ALL of the links are green again, without any changes or additions to the post. I cannot easily tell if I have visited a link and I find that aggravating.