Houzz Logo Print
barchocolate

Unsuccessful propagation attempts -Rose Bouquet n Pewter Bells

Cheryl
6 years ago

Rose Bouquet
Pewter Bells

Rose bouquet

i don’t think the zippy bags r working for me. So sad to c them go. The third one I had to made a stem for since it came to me broken off. I didn’t expect to c it make it but it is still green.

This is also Rose Bouquet. Same batch. In all, it came in a 4’ pot and 7 leaves where broken. Still so happy to have it tho. This one is green to but no babies yet. There r small air gaps at bottom. I check every other week to ensure moisture.

Comments (5)

• Amy
    6 years ago

Try making your medium damp, not wet, use lots of perlite, and keep it loose in the cup. Don't pack it in, leave the medium loose and fluffy. This allows for more air circulation. Also, you can try lightly bleaching your leaves before propagating. There is a lot of information on sterilization using bleach on the internet, it seems scary but a lot of the successful growers do it! Good luck. (I have excellent luck propagating, so I remember the leaves that died on me, and Pewter Bells was one of them, so you are not alone!)

• Cheryl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Will certainly give it a look. Thanks Amy. Yes, bleaching the leaves sound like death. But maybe it triggers survival mode in leaf. Can’t wait to find out.

• stamik2004
    5 years ago

Cheryl did you successfully grow a new Rose Bouquet?

• Cheryl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, it is very slow though. Very slow.

• Cheryl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

For me, Rosie’s baggie method is much easier. I worry less and can watch the roots grow. It also takes less room. I think one of the issues for my slow growth was the side of the pot I used. It took forever for the leaves to produce the root system it need to fill that pot before making babies.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21