SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalennoxa

Anyone have any decluttering plans for 2018?

Whether it be in your garden or home? (Disclaimer: the photo above is definitely NOT my garden, but one I pulled off the internet upon searching "garden hoarding").

Just before the New Year, I realized that two of my upstairs bedrooms would work better if they were pretty much reversed. The project became larger and more pressing as the ideas grew in my head. What began with what could have been a simple swapping of furniture, became tricky as several huge units had to be disassembled and reassembled (but for the sake of a few inches too!). Ended up doing it all on my own too, as it was one of those things that just got in my head, and I could not wait forever and a day for fickle friends...as I nearly killed myself a few times doing it, I imagined that somebody would find me sooner or later under a pile of broken furniture LOL.

One of the upstairs rooms had become a junk / media room over the years, and the other is my office, in which was crammed a futon for guests. I realized that it would work so much better to have the former media room as the guest room / upstairs living room, and the other room as my complete office and media room. As I shifted things around, I actually scaled down excess shelving units - which I ended up selling on kijiji, among other stuff.

Over the past few weeks it's come together amazingly well. Almost finished the guest room - just a few boxes to sort out, and it will be all good to go. Now I leave that door wide open because it doesn't mortify me to look in. The office has a lot more to sort out, but then offices are supposed to be private anyway (and I also put a lock on it - so it is now my official "safe room" too!). But I am definitely getting there.

What are your goals / challenges / success stories?

Comments (46)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

No. I can't stand cr*p. If I don't use it at least once per year or it has big-time sentimental value, out it goes. I'm ruthless. I grew up with a mom who couldn't throw things out, and I remember being embarrassed because of it when I was a kid. If I die, DH can pack up the whole house in a week tops, more like 4-5 days. The barn/shed might take a little longer, but lately it seems like more of it is his anyway...and I should probably go in there when he's not home and throw some stuff out.

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • posierosie_zone7a
    6 years ago

I'm in the garden accumulation stage and I am sticking with that!

Here's my thing about accumulating - I often regret throwing things away. I give away kid clothes to neighboring Moms, but household items that have a purpose are stored. I've aggressively de cluttered before and then find myself repurchasing something 1-2 years later. Haven't used my fryer that my husband impulse purchased 3 years ago, but making donuts this weekend.

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked posierosie_zone7a
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen declutter method (Alton Brown) - anyone use it?

Q

Comments (24)
    I hired my sister to come and help me declutter. Was win/win for both of us, as we got to visit- I made headway in the house, and she got a free trip to the coast and some extra mulaah! Anyhow...one of her ideas was to box up the kitchen stuff I'd been stashing at the back of the cupboards (cuz I might need them someday- or when the kids move out they could use them)- put them away in the store room and DATE the box. Write the contents on the outside (The OC part of me had to do that myself as she has Messy writing! :>) We even wrote Kitchen canisters for Jacky, etc. Well, turns out 'Jacky' has lived away from home for the past four years, and she doesn't want those canisters. I've had things in those boxes for over three years- guess I can safely say I haven't missed them, and they can go directly to charity. BTW, we took several van loads of stuff to charity during that week, and she personally added a bag to each neighbour's garbage on collection day (We have a garbage limit). We are now close to moving back into the kitchen after an extensive reno and I can't believe how little I actually needed for the past seven months- and hope I can be ruthless before the new cupboards/drawers get filled.
    ...See More

Can't hide from it any longer...time to de-clutter!

Q

Comments (24)
    I have to say decluttering is not all its cracked up to be. I went through a big one recently. Now I must admit... it felt so liberating... but there was a catch to that liberation. See, I was in the process of getting rid of a lot of things when one day I got a flyer on my door stating that a charity would be coming by and if I would like to donate then all I have to do is leave my bag on the front lawn clearly marked and they would pick it up. WHAT? someone is coming to get my junk? YES!! I had a week. and silly them for thinking it would only be ONE bag. They asked for it they are going to get it!! I thought this was soooo wonderful so I got busy. On the day of pick up I spread a large tarp in my yard and filled it with bags and bags of everything under the sun; from clothes to DVD's and VCR tapes, to books to old pots, pans and knives to furniture to whatever. I went through every room and purged and then went through them and purged again. On the day of pick up they left a few things behind that they decided they did not want either and I just put a "free" sign on it and it was gone by the end of the day. OMG you can never imagine how great this felt. I danced through the house in my new spaces. The elation did not last long though because while I love the way it made my house look so much neater there was a huge problem. NOW I CAN'T FIND JACK IN HERE. Say what you want but when you live in a lot of clutter there is a method to the madness and you know where everything is. For example... I moved my uniform shirts into a pocketbook rack in my closet. I thought this will be neat to have everything right here in one place. Made sense at the time. Next week I could not find them because I forgot where their new place was. It took me over three weeks and after ordering new shirts to find them. Oh yeah and not to mention that when I can't find something I assume I gave it way by accident. Like my uniform shirts, a pair of new shoes I still had in stretchers, and other stuff. COme to find out later I had them, I just couldn't find them. I damn near got in my car and drove to the charity place 4 hours away to see if they would let me go through my bags to find all my missing stuff. LOL. Okay so now to what to do about the dishes. I gave away things I wanted to hold on to for dear life as well. What I wound up doing is calling my daughter and nieces and gave them the story about the responsibility of being keepers of certain things in the family and I told them how important it was to preserve this stuff and NEVER give away. My nieces took the holiday serving platters and a few other things they really needed in their kitchen. Years ago I gave my son a whole china cabinet and it was full of dishes. It made him feel important and he thought it was impressive to be in his 20s and have a china cabinet already full of good china. I doled it all out like that and being that they know I am the family "stuff" keeper they felt it an honor to keep it for the family. Welp I hope that helped just a little bit, if nothing else but to give you a smile.
    ...See More

Does anyone have any information on Fairmont Modular homes?

Q

Comments (17)
    No worries! We're always happy to help! Just for clarification, are you getting a modular or a manufactured home? The reason I ask is that you stated it's a "Fairmont modular." I know there is a Fairmont brand manufactured home, but am not aware of a Fairmont modular. That being said, I know very little about names or manufacturers of modular homes, so I'm probably ignorant about Fairmont. The advice given will really fit either situation. In fact, it fits any home being built, including site built. You get what you pay for, you need the best general contractor you can find and whom you trust, and you should educate yourself as much as possible so you can see when something's not right. Have a good homeowner's warranty, and USE it! Christopher-H, I don't think I've seen a picture of your home before. It's lovely! What a serene environment! One thing Joy and I like about our little manufactured home is the quiet and lack of city lights. It's in a very small park, 38 houses all in a row on one side of the street, the other side being woodlands. Most folks here have been here for decades and are aging in place. No troublemakers. We are literally surrounded by farms! (I've never seen a "tractor crossing" or "watch for cattle" sign before!) At night, it's perfectly quiet--no cars, or any human sounds. Just the coyotes howling. And the stars!!! They are SO beautiful here without city lights interfering. I hope you and your DW are still loving it there in your Vermont retreat! Truly lovely! :-)
    ...See More

2018 Orchid Show. AnyOne Going?

Q

Comments (5)
    The annual Ft.Lauderdale Orchid Society show and sale. Every January, at our local War Memorial auditorium. It is this Fri-Sun. About 15-20 professional orchid sellers, and local orchid growers/amateurs, show off their home grown orchids, to win prizes/ribbons, it is a show and sale. New crosses, from the private growers, and some of the pro's. The sales/booths are orchid growers from around Fla. some from Taiwan/Hawaii/Philippines, but most are from all around Fla. It is the last flower/plant show left in Ft.laud. We use to have a huge spring plant sale, that took up the entire outside of the auditorium, (like a park), dozens and dozens of growers ,nursery's, and you could buy very common plants, or the newest orchids or newest plants on the market, before they came to market! It was the best show ever! Went to it for 2 decades. But politics closed managed to close it down! The city wanted more money to rent the space, and the War Memorial wanted more money from the vendors, so they priced themselves out of the event, no one wanted to pay more and more to rent a space that once was free, then tickets to get in, and pay to park. It just got to expensive to even get in to just LOOK. Let alone buy plants. Now we have no plant shows/sales, it was called "The Plant Affair"...now we only have The Orchid Show/Sale, in January. It's great, for Orchids, but thats it.
    ...See More
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 years ago

Wouldn't it just be cheaper and easier to buy the donuts?

• spedigrees z4VT
    6 years ago

I'm with you Posie! I have deep regrets about things I have thrown away over the years. Even those things that have no sentimental value, because as soon as I toss out some utilitarian item, a use for it pops up, even broken things that can be repurposed. I have learned not to throw anything away. Now I embrace the clutter! A minimalist I will never be. I love our lifetime's collection of weird artifacts and things waiting to be repurposed. Most of our stuff now has sentimental value and holds memories for us, especially items given to us by friends and relatives who are no longer living (and that list of those people grows longer each year) and things we bought while on vacations, as well as horse tack and old dog leashes because they are all we have left of pets no longer with us

We can never move because there is no way we could ever pack our hoard to travel. It will likely be tossed into a dumpster by younger relatives or real estate agents upon our demise, but until then it all stays and we stay with it.

Mxk3, for shame! Have you never tasted homemade doughnuts!?

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked spedigrees z4VT
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 years ago

^^ Yes. My mom used to make them.

• posierosie_zone7a
    6 years ago

I thought you might be joking mxk3! I have been watching the Great British Baking show and Nancy made a donut tree with donuts that had smiley faces. My youngest has begged me so this weekend, I will attempt frosted donuts with smiles.

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked posierosie_zone7a
  • kali_deere
    6 years ago

I’m hardcore into not accumulating nearly anything. I’m someone who hates clutter so completely. As an example, my basement is cleaner and more organized than many peoples houses lol. There are a few projects I want to do though

1. Give away:

extra large garbage can that previous owner left (one of those big ones you put on the curb, not sure why he left it - can’t return it to the trash agency because it went out of business)

extra washing machine (another thing left behind by previous owner)

our old headboard

air conditioner (we have central air now)

Ugly bathroom shelf thing from our old apartment

2. throw away fire pit (all rusty and probably a tetanus shot waiting to happen)

3.Pay someone else to clear out this strip of land I own and remove all the little saplings and thorn bushes and destroy all the English ivy underneath

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked kali_deere
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 years ago

posierosie, I like the Great British Baking Show, too, although I'm behind on watching. I have a cutter just for doughnuts that I've had stashed away for years. I was happy I had it when I wanted to use it. It was the perfect tool for the job. Good luck on your doughnuts this weekend.

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 years ago

It's amazing how things can collect themselves into our spaces. The nerve of them, lol. Good job on your guest room. It's nice to be able to leave the door open and be happy with how it looks. Too much clutter is stressful.

The yard in the photo would depress me and make me nuts. I would be cleaning and organizing that right away. I have a lot of stuff, but I'm pretty well organized. Of course, there's always some space that ends up being a catch-all until decisions are made. For me it's the basement.

Do I really need three large gardening spades? Uh... Yeah! If I lose one while I'm out in the yard, I know where another is because at some point I do find the misplaced ones and put them back. That makes sense, right?

I would say my current goal is to use what I have instead of thinking of ways to buy something new. However, I'm already waffling on that because I want to buy more hostas even though I already have some that should be moved to the places where I want to plant any new ones.

You can't be called a clutterbug for having too many plants, can you? ;-)

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
  • linaria_gw
    6 years ago

Oo, such a new-years-y question

still, yes, try to declutter step by step our flat. Moved last May, but still, with 2 young kids stuff seems to regrow

plus, ahem, we didn't manage to unpack all boxes, so that is another chance to be

RUTHLESSSS

ok, trying to give myself enough courage ;-)

even though I can understand folks valuing unused things for sentimental reason ( got myself a shoebox of university time-knick knack)

I personally prefer the uncluttered-not weighed down-approach, especially as our flat is quite small

in the garden I got rid of an lousy cherry cultivar (dwarf tree) and keep culling specimen or rather species that can't really put up with our regional climate and my low-TLCregime

oh, and I use the winterbreak to streamline all stuff that collected in our garden hut, like single gloves and things,

the remaining rest should be well enough organised that I find odd tools or bakery stuff when I need it

(you know the story of buying things 2 or three times because the previous thingy got lost in a cluttered household...)

so, happy new years and happy reorganizing

bye, Lin

ps: o gosh, when did houzze redo the website, now it's starting all over again to figure out what is where... :-/

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked linaria_gw
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    6 years ago

Often I find creativity comes out of clutter, especially if one has artistic inclinations. I build sculptures out of what many feel is trash. My material stash is a mess to many people's eyes. Creating is decluttering, but I always leave a mess for the next stuff. I have dead sets of twist drills waiting to become teeth in a mask. Dead cactus bodies left from too much rain were dried out and painted silver, combined with agarita boughs for a a christmas wreath. Angled cut outs of cedar are waiting to become shelf brackets. , We have a stack of miss cuts of pecan that will either become barbecue wood or be made into chairs (we build chairs for a living). My husband got rid of some stacks of metal tie downs that I was going to uses as a base for this stainless yeast auger I found. I was going to make the two into a musical gong in the garden. I had a bunch of road kill skeletons but now they are hanging all combined and bundled with ball moss and dried painted aloe roots. People love it. The last wind storm stripped the moss off . I have to redo it. Years ago, my husband bought me pipe organ pipes from a pipe organ maker estate and I bought him some. The leaned against the trees for three years . They were expensive clutter. We built a cedar coyote fence (that I hated) by our raised deck. One day, I watched the cows knocking down the pipes for the umpteenth time and my mind made closure on two unrelated problems and WA LA! I stuck the pipes on the cedar post ends and the fence became a striking element. The birds make homes in the pipes. I think I have a huge industrial dough beater wearing a rusted chainsaw blade on the corner of the fence. The chain makes the beater take on human characteristics. Alas, the stainless steel yeast augur is still tilted over in the bushes waiting for an appropriate base .

I need to get into my pot ghetto and put some order to it. I grow many flats of seeds into plants so that is another mess that becomes something as the year goes on. I am growing rare hard to find natives for a preserve near by.

How I live draws judgements from some people and gets admiration from others. Both is water off a ducks back. I am sometimes irritated by my mess. The fire pit needs to have a barbecue. Sculptures need to be made. I do have a plan for some 1/2" glass arch to be made into a table. I need to get onto that. I have a huge tree stump that I need to flip over (300 LBS) put some wheels on , then burn and oil it and sell it for a couple of grand in a art show.

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oo, such a new-years-y question

I know, and as much as I am loathe to do specific New Year's Resolutions (because I make those year round), I could not resist.

I think because for me there's something extremely satisfying about getting rid of something that has become a burden in your life. So, for a while I could throw everything in the closed door room and be all "out of sight, out of mind", And that's fine for a time - but "a time" becomes "forever" if you leave it long enough. And sometimes I've left something because I really, really, wanted it to work. And for all intents and purposes, it should work. But sometimes, in spite of your best intentions and sacrifices, it does not work. That's why I struggled so long with that twisted Costco hose, which I knew was on its way to wrapping itself around me and suffocating me. Or bad relationships...but that is a whole other discussion.

I am loving leaving that upstairs guest / living room door wide open - it really is a beautiful, cozy room!

• User
    6 years ago

Classic hoarder. I have 15 year old PC, a 30 year old washing machine, 30 year old truck, 50 year old vacuum cleaner, 70 year old cooker and a 90 year old bike. My winter coat was bought in 1991 and my (expensive) Meindl working boots are 7 years old, going well. I have (too many) tools and a book addiction (and have zero desire to own a Kindle). Plus too many people in a small British house.

I am appalled, enraged, despairing about our disposable culture. I was looking ruefully at my 2 year old vaping mod, wondering how long till the chip blows out and hating that we have got into a place where no-one repairs stuff and everything has a built-in obsolescence of around 2 years. Like Mara, I am a maker - anything in wood, metal, ceramic, textiles and yarns...although when someone suggested making bunting as a way of 'using up' some of my carefully collected African kente cloth and vintage velvet, I don't think they really appreciated what a love of fabric actually entails...and it isn't cutting it up to make some useless frippery such as bunting. My favourite, pale pink velvet curtain has been lovingly stored for over 40 years - I get it out now and again for a feel and a fantasy about when I no longer have dogs and offspring...and the Georgian chair frame I will (one day) upholster.

And if you grow all your plants from seed, then you live with massive pot collections too.

I like old, well-made things...and I also really, really hate shopping...so a tenuous balance is maintained.

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked User
  • linaria_gw
    6 years ago

Tip hat

so great if a room is so lovely and organized that you like to show it,

not quite there but aiming for it

and I try do do small, doable New Year stuff, like, get more organised, broken down to several small steps like,

cleaning/sorting a drawer in 20minutes,

and I made a list of household items (third or fourth articel, meant as replacement or just you know) which I put onto some virtual blackboard/flea market,

yea to liberating decluttering,

for example for cooking/baking I avoid to get those monofunction-gadget, have a mechanic/pressure thingy old style espresso cooker and so on. No microwave (no place in the kitchen right now), no icemaker and such.

and I think New Year is a good time, as I don't do a drastic spring cleaning.

@wantonamera

I can imagine that it is helpfull or almost magical to have a collection of special ods and ends. A friend of mine who designs and builds stuff, does that

right now we live in kind of cramped quarters or a tiny urban flat so the way of minimal ballast works for me better.

I only get annoyed about someones mess if the "owner" themselves keep whining about it.

so now I'off to prepare a note for the online-fleamarket...

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked linaria_gw
  • rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    6 years ago

Plus too many people in a small British house.

I never thought of people leaving one's home was an example of 'decluttering' ;)

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    6 years ago

@ lineria. I have acres to store stuff. And 2 large shop spaces. I need the land . LOL.

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    6 years ago

“so now I'off to prepare a note for the online-fleamarket...”

Reminds me...Ive got have a garage sale this year.

I can’t stand clutter either. Anything I’m tired of or no longer have use for gets stored in the basement or tossed. Many good items down there just waiting to (hopefully) be sold. Whatever doesn’t sell will be donated...I’m tired of looking at it! Gardening will have to wait....

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5
  • User
    6 years ago

'I never thought of people leaving one's home was an example of decluttering'

Yep, it seriously is, when the 'people' I am referring to are the boomerang offspring, who come and go, leaving me with attics, sheds, garages, spare(ahem)rooms, landings and passageways full of clutter...none of which actually belongs to me but must still be endlessly curated in the interests of family harmony.

And their pets!

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    6 years ago

Twros lovely transformation!

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5
  • User
    6 years ago

Twros, you truly reworked a green space into a place of beauty!!! Very lovely and inviting. All that while having health problems and being a caregiver... absolutely amazing!!!

Campanula, you must love it or you wouldn’t put up with it. My son left home right after college. When he purchased a house a few years later, all of his “stuff” went with him. I am the opposite of you. I am an organizer and was a minimalist for 30 years before the term was ever invented. To each his own is what makes the world interesting. :)

Rebecca

• User
    6 years ago

Twros, your redesign is brilliant. Really really breathtaking.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Project one: reorganize gardening and crafts closets.

Project two (actually done). Cleaned my gift wrap station. I have enough supplies to wrap gifts for a small elementary school. I’ve instucted DH to SHOOT ME if I buy another ribbon spool, wine bag, etc

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked bossyvossy
  • spedigrees z4VT
    6 years ago

I'm realizing that there are really two subjects to this thread, discarding and organization, both of which result in de-cluttering. While I eschew the former, I do embrace the latter. Right now I have 3 projects underway, the preservation by scanning and printing of photographs in old photo albums, and the conversion of boxes of cassette tapes and VHS tapes to digital formats. Completing these projects will result in reclaiming my computer room when the piles of photo albums are back in under-bed containers and the boxes of cassette tapes are gone, and reclaiming my office space when the plastic bins full of video tapes also are emptied out (plus re-gaining a tower of plastic storage containers for use in the cellar).

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    6 years ago

My wife and I practice ''re-cluttering". We take stuff from the garage to the shed to make room for stuff we will be bringing in from the yard.

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
  • FrozeBudd_z3/4
    6 years ago

I guess, I've finally learnt that less is more. Although, I love the huge expanse of my yard, I'm getting away from plunking plantings all over. I'm fortunate for the natural beauty within the lay of the land and native trees and vegetation throughout, this in itself makes for enjoyable daily walks during agreeable weather. Regarding my above before and after photo, I'm not at all good with wide sweeping beds, thus other plantings have been receiving a slim down makeover. As for what can't be reduced, I cuss while attempting to arrange and make it look better. When it comes to plants and material possessions, I purge, I really must like or need something or it's g-o-n-e!

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked FrozeBudd_z3/4
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 years ago

I'm getting away from plunking plantings all over.

I've been thinking about this lately. I'm semi-rural, and I'm blessed to be surrounded by a natural beauty that just can't be duplicated. I have resisted the urge to create new beds over the yard area; rather, I re-shaped an existing bed, and work on the borders along the perimeter of the house/patio is in progress and much needed. Amazing what some good-looking, complimentary shrubbery can do to set off a house! Unfortunately I don't have the cash to get the edging, walkway, and patio professionally done right now, so my hand-cut edging and less-than-stellar border layout will have to do for now....someday I'm going to have that done (but you can't see it from the road anyway, all you can see is the shrubbery/grasses, and it's a huge improvement from what was there...or not...previously).

So, yea, I think that will be it, and more than enough to keep me busy for a while, and I as I get older I anticipate not being able to keep up the maintenance as much, so the borders by the house will probably be enough to keep me busy at that stage of my life, too.

Tworos: I love that bed re-design!! It looks great, and it's different and interesting - great job!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    6 years ago

Mxk3, yes, having one's yard set within existing natural beauty is something to be very thankful for, especially with great bones to work with and enhance. Though, when a yard is expansive, it's especially e-a-s-y to allow desire to become carried away with the potential of it all and neglecting to account for upkeep, time and energy one must exert, in other words, biting off more than you can chew. And, indeed having a few extra pennies to rub together could really help and at times go towards hiring on much needed help! I have one major, major project yet in front of me, taking a 10,000 sq ft forested area to transform into landscaped lawn, the work is horrendous, doing so with only my two hands, a power saw, axe and root grubbing tools. Though, if this self inflicted torture doesn't do me in, no flowerbeds will be included other than possibly tucking here and there a few ferns and primroses in the ridiculously good soil that exits, just why couldn't the rest of the place have such good soil!

"Amazing what some good-looking, complimentary shrubbery can do to set off a house!" ... that's what I most require help with, I have one foundation bed I struggle with and often wanted to post photos asking for suggestions. Mxk3, I'm glad you like the above transformation, I'm definitely more pleased with it now!

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked FrozeBudd_z3/4
  • deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    6 years ago

I've done some bi-polar things around decluttering garden-wise. I'm not exactly sure what the case was before we moved in, but we were told the owner was a tree-lover, and I know that there were clearly far more significant priorities in life than gardening at the time they sold. End result (or beginning result for us, I should say) was a yard full of damaged dangerous trees and saturated with small saplings and "bush-trash." Just two examples of nearly completely hollow poplars (these pics also taken after extensive sapling extermination):

We spent the first three summers pulling out all kinds of tiny saplings, thousands on tree removal, and just a general clean up of *crap*. Then, after spending all the time cleaning up crap as a reaction to the "mess," I began to wish I had left some of it around to keep a natural look, and began to wonder about potential habitats. Some pink lady slippers grow wild, and what if there were lots more before? Also have some awesome wild trout lillies, and I had no idea what they were or how cool they are. A spring ephemeral, growing wild, right here. Did I really screw them up for the future? Anyway, now I'm planning some natives to plant for pollinators, etc., just to clutter things up a bit more.

Good thing, I have firewood for at least four years, not including the additional that will be cut this summer as we work on the next set of damaged trees close to the house.

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
  • rusty_blackhaw
    6 years ago

This discussion is timely, since I spent several hours this weekend de-cluttering the basement. I hauled several giant black plastic garbage bags full of crap (and two large garbage pails-worth) out of there. Now I can actually get to the back of the basement without slaloming through detritus, and the shelves contain only useful items (I still await a nice warm day to sort through and discard plant pots I no longer really need).

Among the discarded paperwork, I'd been saving forms mailed to me with indoor and outdoor plant shipments. Discouragingly, few of these plants survived long-term in my indoor and outdoor gardens, either because I managed to kill them or they didn't live up to expectations. Another argument for growing from seed...

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

As I finish up sorting out the upstairs rooms, I have been retrieving things from the 'creepy' downstairs, knowing that it is next on my list. That area became the real dumping ground when I moved in, and it is my plan to work though that the rest of the winter and into spring. Eventually leading to my garden supplies / tools / pots / etc. Anything broken, not being used in the foreseeable future, or that I don't really 'LOVE' will be heading to its new home...

One of my neighbours is really into the Marie Kondo school of decluttering. Which has an element of determining that 'LOVE', and thanking your objects for their time, before you ditch them. Which I'm cool with. What's more difficult (for me at least) is she likes to break things into categories which you go through by first placing them in one big pile. For example: "Garden Pots" - you need to take ALL your garden pots and pile them in the centre of the room. Then go through them one by one, assessing their need. If no longer needed, say thanks and then into the out pile. I'm going to work on a variation of this which works for me - for example, moving the pots from the former (all over) locations and determining with each move whether it belongs in its new designated area, or in the 'out' pile.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 years ago

"I began to wish I had left some of it around to keep a natural look, and began to wonder about potential habitats. Some pink lady slippers grow wild, and what if there were lots more before? Also have some awesome wild trout lillies, and I had no idea what they were or how cool they are. A spring ephemeral, growing wild, right here. Did I really screw them up for the future? "

Nah, if there's any roots left, they'll probably eventually re-establish, although if the new growing conditions are not optimal, they may eventually peter out. You could always plant new trees if you'd like to re-create a woodland habitat.

Bush-trash. I'm so totally stealing this...so much better than my previous term "scrub". LOL!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    6 years ago

I think a common mistake is tackling a new garden too soon. There are so many things hiding under the ground. I think less is better when you first move in. Thinning is better than clearing till one has a better picture.

• Kathy Yata
    6 years ago

Why yes I do!

Last year I decluttered the house, started on the garden and ended with a possibly final version of the garage*. Might have been 90% house/garage in 2017 and this year it will be 90% garden. I'm finding that decluttering is a lot of fun. Getting duplicates, unused stuff and trash out has been fine so far. I sold a little, took a lot to the thrift store, put a lot on the curb as curb alerts, recycled some and actually tossed very little.

Last year's yard clear out was mostly getting 'stored' stuff out. I didn't think there was that much but the spare poles, PVC bits, pots, bits of rotting lumber and such added up to quite a bit of clutter I hadn't needed for years. Why is it that saved PVC is never the right diameter for the next project? Where the heck are all those pots coming from? Nobody wanted the rusty wheelbarrow so off came the handles and it's now used as a planting bed.

Hoping this year I get to be creative and remake some of the areas that haven't been evaluated for a while. Already started with the front lawn area and the half I've fluffed, divided, discarded and planted new stuff in is looking so much nicer. So much more to do!

* Three purges that included 2 resets of the storage systems and finishing the drywall. Each time through was wonderful and I immediately wanted to do more.

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked Kathy Yata
  • katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    6 years ago

I thought I'd be able to tackle a little more decluttering in the garage but apparently I'm down to the bare bones of stuff I use and stuff I'll likely use. One of my weaknesses is empty nursery pots. I just don't like throwing them away since I do re-use a lot. Maybe I need to start giving away more plants in pots... I'd do that but it takes potting soil to give away a potted plant, and if there's anything I'm greedy about it's my soil.

Last year was the year of the garden purge. I composted quite a few perfectly nice things just because they didn't really do anything for me. I can't think of a single thing I miss, even if it did leave a few blank spots out there.

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 years ago

"Each time through was wonderful and I immediately wanted to do more."

Yes! Throwing the sh*t out feels SO GOOD!!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    6 years ago

OH, what can I say. My husband just had a spinal fusion on Friday. Things are going well and he is healing way above the curve for a 65 yr old man. I started looking at how he uses his fancy office chair and there is some things that it does not do well on. We design furniture but we do not do office chairs. Easier to just buy them. researching the variable ergonomics would take years and years. I found this chair that does three positions and takes up more room than the one we have, but he would LOVE it. It does the job of three chairs. He is stoked but the office is filled to the gills and I am looking at rearranging, decluttering all of a sudden, as of this morning. We have been in this space 15 yrs and it has collected STUFF, material samples, artwork, books, rocks, our humorous assemblages. The drafting table which is HUGE is not used as he now does 99% of his drafting on the computer but getting rid of this fantastic wood drafting table is so very hard and when it is used , there is nothing like it.. Besides, I like to use it. I think I can move the architecture files under the drafting table, get rid of the art supply structure that is under it that is full of my junk., then put my computer desk where the architecture files were . Move his gargantuan computer desk to a slanted position in the room that would give him more room so he can work sitting up, leaning back and fully reclining in style, just missing his desk with all the business files in it. Got it? We are crammed. We have 4 desks, 3 office chairs , 3 bookshelves and a roll around shelf caddy, overlong antique sleigh day bed and two end tables in a 12' x 16' room. Everything in this room is used A LOT. 2 of us work in here and see clients in here.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 years ago

^^ Wishing your DH a continued speedy recovery. Glad to hear he is doing so well post surgery.

Original Author
    6 years ago

@wantonamara - wow. Yes, all the best for a speedy recovery. It's interesting how you are now looking at the space with a different set of eyes, based on new needs. As the saying goes, necessity is the mother of invention. It will be interesting to see what you come up with!

I've been away for the past few days, and now I've returned an I'm looking around and thinking "Wait a minute, I thought I had decluttered this place?" Granted, it was a last minute trip, so I kind of dropped everything in mid-stream and didn't tidy before, but still...so work continues!

• Bourbon Milkshake
    6 years ago

Coming late to the conversation! I've got a very, very small space and most everything grown including trees must be in pots. Cuttings, seeds, divisions and so on have to be aggressively given away or they will *bury* me!

Anyone want Aloe, Callisia fragrans, and "Gardenia" roses? I love these too much to rid of them, but boy do they grow fast!

In a few weeks there will be a big gardeners' swap event locally and I will haul a lot of stuff there, but there's high chance I'll come back with as much stuff as I give. It's a constant struggle.

@wantonamara - a speedy recovery to your DH and I hear ya on office chairs! There are many good chairs but the RIGHT one can be elusive D:

@Twros - what a transformation!

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked Bourbon Milkshake
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hey Burbon, welcome to the conversation! Like you, my community has a big seed/garden exchange in a few weeks. So I've been doing my first round of garden stuff decluttering in anticipation of that. I even went through my bags of seeds, and the majority I'm just going to take to the exchange and share with the community - there will be lots of new seeds there...time to be inspired by some new stuff :-)

• Bourbon Milkshake
    6 years ago

It is a good way! I try to make sure to use up the seeds one way or another so that I don't have to worry about viability. It'd be sad to sow one year and wait and wait and realize the seeds were too old!

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked Bourbon Milkshake
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My latest decluttering ideas revolve around my front. If anyone recalls, I have a postage stamp front (9x13) which is the typical size for the Victorian houses on my street. So people tend to have straight lawn - easy peasy - or they've cemented it. I went a little gangbusters and pretty much threw everything and the kitchen sink in there while I was at it - it became my playground. It was the first time I was working with more sun in a garden, and I just crammed everything in there.

This is a pic from the first year (2016) of experimenting:

I look at this picture and laugh, I was cramming plants everywhere, really into that "in your face" jungle look. Last year, I still had a lot going on, but edited down the container plants on the porch and the side, didn't grow the massive sunflowers on the front left of the lawn (believe you me, there's a lot of other huge plants to the back of the bed behind the sunflowers...there's actually a bed which you can't see at all behind them!), nor the datura on the front right.

What may be hard to see are the three yews planted in the front. Originally, I had visions of creating a yew hedge around the front and was overjoyed when I place was selling large yews for cheap - I learned the hard way wy they recommend getting younger ones to grow into the hedge as opposed to using older ones...so I ended up getting rid of the less successful ones that were on the side, and leaving the ones on the front. And got all experiment-like with pruning, and liked the effect and the yews...but overall I just don't think I like them where they're at.

So, my latest thinking in decluttering mode is that I am going to remove two of the yews (left and centre) and leave the one on the right. The vision is becoming clearer in my mind as I streamline things...I always say, "This year will be my masterpiece" :-)

Original Author
    6 years ago

• Kathy Yata
    6 years ago

That is the law of gardening, isn't it!

What a coincidence. I finally got outside and got to work. Sort of. Found rubble and tossed it. Pulled the sun dial and weathervane out and they are on the curb, come get them! Removed the concrete blocks from under the orange tree and put them in the stinker's current project, uprooting a 20' tall juniper. Finally got the loppers to the apple tree branches that keep hitting me in the face. Amazing how much better it looks having it clear under the orange tree.

So now the sun dial's pedestal is just sitting there. I've got a good sized rock shot through with holes that reminds me of the Star Wars Death Star before it was finished. Or I could make a stone sphere, always liked that idea. The armillary sundial was in too much shade and didn't show up against the picket fence with a climbing rose. Something solid is better there. Something that will give the dog a concussion rather than spear him when he's chasing the ball. No nothing ever happened but sharp pointy and running dogs are scary combination.

Front is looking better every day. So far my transplants and new plants are looking good. Strangely a plant I thought was never going to live after transplant is hanging in there. I have a lot of peppermint and nutmeg geranium layers I get to find new homes for. Love those two but both take advantage. I need to get the big grasses cut back soon. Yard looks much less cluttered when the ornamental grasses are in good shape.

Been decluttering inside as well but since I worked so hard all last year haven't come up with much. There have been spots I hadn't done. Went through the aquarium bin and tossed some stuff and wiped it out good. Hope the problem closet is set now, emptied it and purged/sorted it for at least the 6th time.

TOMORROW I WILL RETURN! I need to cut the old plastic trash can up and install in vegetable garden as raised containers so that unloved thing is put to use. I'll eyeball the rock to see if it is a good size for the pedestal. Sure am not rolling it over there unless I think it will work.

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked Kathy Yata
  • spedigrees z4VT
    6 years ago

Congrats on making such a great amount of progress on your yard de-cluttering project, Kathy! At first I thought "Why would anyone discard a sundial?" but when I read your explanation, I got it. If it came to a choice between my sundial and my dog, my dog would win, hands/paws down.

I too ended up with an empty pedestal when I moved our sundial to a new pedestal in a better location. I found an interesting rock with a white stripe going around it, and planted it atop the old pedestal. Hope your rock fits as well as mine did.

I envy you the ability to work outside. Right now I'm on my way out to shovel the 6-8 inches of snow that fell last night. Yard/garden work is still some months in the future for me. I did finish up my photo scanning project and got the ancient photo albums stashed back under the bed, giving me access to parts of my computer room that I haven't seen in a couple years. Earlier this winter I sorted out my old clothes and can find things in my closets now. That is two major indoor projects crossed off the list.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner