SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacoblockcuff

Daconil

jacoblockcuff (z5b/6a CNTRL Missouri
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello. Wishing everyone a good week. I've been looking at several tomato fungicides to possibly use this coming summer to preventative spray my tomatoes from day 1. Many people recommend Daconil, but it seems to have a mixed opinion. Some people say that it is very harmful to not only soil life and beneficial predators, but also to the human health. Now, I'm a bit skeptical to the human health part, as it's my opinion that we take in many, many more toxic fumes in every day life when we walk outside or even drink our own water. Many of our water supplies are not only intoxicated with chemicals from runoff, but we also breathe in many harmful chemicals in the air around us. I'm skeptical as to how much difference Daconil would make to our health, but I am concerned as to how it would affect soil life and beneficial predators, as I would like to attract them to my garden. I'm asking for opinions from other experienced tomato growers on this forum of the use of this fungicide. I'm not concerned with the fact that it is not "organic", as there are many "organic" products that are just as harmful, if not more as "non-organic" products. How could it really be considered harmful? Have you noticed a negative impact on your beneficial predators? If it truly is, how toxic could it really be to humans? Would it actually help with my common Septoria Leaf Spot and sometimes Early Blight problem? Have you noticed it just stalling the diseases so that they come in and kill everything late, or does it seem to keep them out most of the season so you can harvest to the first frost? Also, has anyone noticed a difference with pruning? Does it actually help with disease? My understanding is that it gives the plants more airflow, but does this really help, or does it give less foliage for the plant to use in defense through photosynthesis?

Thanks.

Comments (6)