SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valerie_iosue

Ranch Reno: should I give up powder room for a laundry/mud room

Valerie Iosue
6 years ago
Renovating a 1960’s ranch (2,700 sq ft) & debating on whether I should give up the bathroom off the kitchen to create a larger combo mudroom/laundry room on first floor.
Current Bathrooms: 1 full in master bedroom double sinks, 1 full in main hallway double sinks, 1 full in basement.
The bathroom I am debating is right off the kitchen by the garage entrance. It’s currently a full bath with a stall shower (super small!), but I don’t think a 4th shower is necessary, so I would convert it to a powder room rather than invest in new tile shower there.
However, another option is to scratch that bathroom and turn it into a mud room & laundry room combo. This would be amazing to have main floor laundry and a room to kick off shoes, hang coats etc.
If I keep the bathroom, the “utility room” on the blueprint would become a mud room bc it’s much too small for a laundry. My dryer door wouldn’t even be open in there, and I would create a new laundry room in the basement.
So many decisions!! Would I miss a powder room or would it be worth it to have a main floor laundry & mudroom?

Comments (2)