SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anchovysea

List your citrus collection here

Saltysea (Oz)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am a little obsessed with citrus and I have carted my citrus in pots from house to house while renting. I am now settled(ish) and my collection is continuing to grow. Below is my list. I would love for you to share what you are growing and why you chose that variety or would you get it again.

Lemon Eureka -really juicy tart lemon

Lemon Lisbon -yet to fruit

Lemon Meyer-prolific fruiter. Herby lemon taste

Mandarin Emporer -yet to fruit

Mandarin Clementine - teeny tiny tree. Lots of fruit. Yet to taste.

Lime Tahitian -prolific and my favourite so far

Lime West Indian- has some small fruit on it now

Australian finger lime

Australian native round lime

Yuzu-small fruit so far beautiful fragrance almost floral.

Calamondin -small fruit

Chinotto yet to fruit

Makrut -use leaves for cooking.

Arnold Blood Orange- only got this recently

Lemonade -my other favourite. Really delicious

Dwarf Orange Navelina -new tree.

Comments (57)

• Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Dave I know what you mean about the meyer. I had never tasted one before I grew one. It kind of tastes herby slightly green to me. I thought it was something I had done, but I use them cooking all the time :). I prefer eureka for that traditionally lemon taste and eating off the tree you cannot go past a lemonade. That being said I am very attached to my lemon meyer tree though as along with my tahition lime and my finger lime it was the very first citrus I grew and to be fair to the tree it is very prolific and the blossoms smell amazing.

I would love a limequat. Delighted to hear they are delicious :)

• Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Vladimir. I will happily post on that one too. Any excuse to list/talk/discuss my citrus and see what everyone else has too :)

• Related Discussions

UC RIverside Citrus Collection videos

Q

Comments (4)
    I love those videos! Thanks for posting them and refreshing my memory. I hope that one day I can take a tour at Riverside Citrus station someday. BTW/ another set of videos that I love to watch are the DW avocado video they made at UC Irvine too. Very informative for backyard growers like me! UC Irvine Avocado Tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z5ONrV67MY UC Irvine Avocado Tour part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXpH5Kpzxy8&feature=related
    ...See More

List your appliances here...

Q

Comments (146)
    Amana French Door Bottom Freezer Whirlpool Quiet Partner IV Built in KitchAid Oven Micro, both Convection (never use that feature) Jenn- Air electric Cooktop I love this blog. I am getting ready to build a new home and need new appliances. I will not buy any of the brands I have now since they are Whirlpool. I posted a long blog about my Combo and DW related to Whirlpool. In a nutshell: Micro was made in 2002 and Magnatron has shot craps 3 TIMES. 1st time after only 1.5 years. Last time I had to pay $700 to fix it. Asked WP for reimbursement of at least parts cost-told too bad so sad. DW control panel went out after only 4 mos (just got it in April '08 at NE Furniture Mart). We wanted a new unit since this is a major thing to go out. Attitude of retailer and WP was the same- tough. We only use the DW twice a week. It is not that quiet either. Love my Amana. Too bad it is WP also. It holds everything and stuff is easy to find. Black glass top Jenn-Air is impossible to keep clean. STREAKY!!! Have to clean and clean and clean. Also, if anything splatters on it that is high in sugar THE GLASS MELTS. It leaves a big crater. Dials are placed in front corners at an angle and big pans can touch and melt them. Love the down draft fan. Very powerful. Thanks to all who listed their brands here. I got a great list to look into for the new place.
    ...See More

Here is a list of citrus tree vendors that ship

Q

Comments (13)
    Laura, I must say, the 'Kishu' has and will always be my favorite smaller citrus fruit of all..It's sweet and non acidic which I can eat..It is so fun to grow and all the little kids look forward to coming over when they ripe. I just love this tree. Mine is very tall, boy does Harris send really nice trees for the price! I have yet to plant mine in the ground in my greenhouse.. Funny thing is that they send them in these VERY TALL pots that can not stand up in the wind, not even a slight breeze..Mine has fell over at least a dozen times and I have yet to re pot into a good 5.1.1 mix I have yet to make up...Oh, if I could just get my drive to make my mix back yet..
    ...See More

Citrus for Canada! Phoenix Perennials' new citrus list for 2018.

Q

Comments (53)
    Wow interesting! Here is my list with some minor differences with yours: # 1 shiranui # 2 gold nugget: a favorite on this forum! # 3 kishu: Brian, I bought a bag of tiny small mandarins at my asian grocery (the size is about a looney or smaller). It wasn’t label as kishu so I am not sure but they were very, very sweet. They really taste like orange life saver. I read about this description before but never thought much about that until I taste it. The description ws very accurate. # 4 xie shan: winner at the citrus expo held in alabama. Must be really good to win the favor of all those enthusiastic citrus lovers. # 5 page: never taste it but seems a classic to have. Everyone was raving anout this variety in another forum some years. Sugar Belle, Pixie, Daisy and Tango are all great varieties but I never taste them and can’t find lot of information on them.
    ...See More
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

I listed mine in the list Steve posted above...too long to retype ;). Saltysea, congrats on such a nice collection. I really enjoy my trees - especially now when it is bitter cold outside - and am now getting a good amount of fruit which my entire family enjoys.

• Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I love my trees too Laura :) and everything citrus. Looking forward to sharing my abundance with my friends and family

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

It’s really fun finding recipes to make with them when they are not for straight eating. It presents a nice challenge for those of us who like to cook. What zone do you live in?

• Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Laura. I'm in Sydney Australia. I think it is most similar to Southern California weatherwise.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    6 years ago

Saltysea - I just read an article that the temps where you are went past 47.3C (117F) today, which was the hottest since the U.S. dust bowl period (1939). Those temps are like what GW poster Evan reports in the California desert in summer. I hope your babies are under some shade cloth or moved to a cooler spot!

Saltysea (Oz) thanked jenny_in_se_pa
  • Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Jenny. It was ridiculously hot yesterday. Family (including pets) spent the day in front of the air conditioner. I did a lot of moving and rearranging yesterday alright. Even with shade the leaves were all cupping and drooping. Everything got a big soak first thing in the morning. Anything that I could move got moved or shaded.

The citrus thankfully are all ok. A l little worse for wear but ok. Although I am a bit worried about my yuzu. Along with everything else that got a soak last night the yuzu also got a seaweed drench.

I lost 2 blueberry plants...they are dry and crispy. I soaked them as well but not holding out much hope... of what I couldn't move (frangipana, papaya) I have some burnt leaves but they look recoverable.. thankfully a lot cooler today.

Thank you for caring :) and I'm hoping everyone else human animal and plant faired ok yesterday.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    6 years ago

Saltysea - your blueberries might still be okay. I have a potted one (my oldest outdoor shrub, a northern highbush potted since 1994) that has been through many heatwaves and got many many crispy leaves. I just pampered it and watered it and it would resprout and eventually send up new cane shoots from the roots.

Glad that the rest of your babies are hanging in there and hope everyone/everything there get through your abnormally hot summer. Just to send you some cooling thoughts - it was -16C (3F) this morning where I live. Yikes! lol

• Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Jenny I won't give up on the blueberries just yet. I'll let you know how we go.

That's quite a difference alright. You have got a whole host of different challenges. Where are you that it gets that cold?! Hope your plants are well protected.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    6 years ago

Saltysea - I live on the east coast of the U.S. (Mid-Atlantic) in Philadelphia (we are about 60 miles inland to the west of the Atlantic ocean) and this cold snap is somewhat unusual (the reverse of the extremes that you have been experiencing). Our normal winter lows/highs run around -4C/4C. But we are seeing what mother nature does - i.e., tries to maintain a "balance". Abnormally hot one place means abnormally cold somewhere else! lol

All my hardy container shrubs & perennials are outside frozen and covered with snow (most are good to -35C where the historical coldest temp here has been no lower than -24C). My tropicals, subtropicals, and tender perennials are all inside overwintering. I have a plumeria (frangipani), fig, and salvia black & blue sitting in a cool/dark unfinished "storage" area of my basement @ ~15C (coolest it has gotten). Most of the citrus are in the warmer "finished" part of the basement where the temps have been running ~18C (night) --> 23C (day with lights), depending on outdoor temps. A couple other citrus are up in a spare bedroom where the temp has been generally running about 19C (day/night).

This winter can't end soon enough!!!!

Just to add for the thread, the citrus I have -

• Eureka lemon

• Variegated pink lemon (a Eureka)

• Meyer lemon

• Thornless key lime

• Australian blood/red centre lime

• Tango mandarin

• Kishu mandarin

• John 9a
    6 years ago

Here is my list...all in ground. Most in poorly drained clay-dominant soil that gets too much rain.

Owari Satsuma

Blood Orange

Meiwa kumquats - great pick and eat fruit

Calamondin - prettiest tree shape and great addition to enhance flavor of other citrus in pies, jellies, and juices.

Persian sweet lime - least favorite..no flavor

Meyer lemon

Ponderosa lemon

Dancy tangerine - in raised planter and growth shows the difference!

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    6 years ago

Owari Satsuma

Gold Nugget

Tahoe Gold

Washington dwarf navel

Meyer lemon

Variegated Eureka lemon pink

Bearss lime

All in containers 1/2 wine barrels.

• Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Jenny. Sending warm thoughts your way. Interesting about what you say about balance, I've never thought about it like that.

You have an Australian red centre lime :) all the way over there. How cool. Have you managed to try the fruit yet? Also on my wishlist...

I would also love to have a pink variegated lemon. But haven't seen them anywhere here yet.

Its great to meet other people who have plants in the spare bedroom during extremes of temperature. I have definitely found my tribe :)

• Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi John nice list :). Is the persian lime the same as a tahitian. If so I wonder how come there isn't any flavour?

Meiwa kumquats are also on my wishlist

Hi Dave, I had to Google tahoe and gold nugget. They sound delicious!

You also have a variegated pink lemon. Some day...I will find my tree.

Hope its warmer where you both are. I will have to learn the US zoning.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    6 years ago

Saltysea - I just got the red centre lime this year and it is a baby (grafted on a dwarf rootstock). It hasn't bloomed yet but I hope it will this spring. I just noticed yesterday that it started another little growth spurt on the tips so it seems to have adjusted to its indoor conditions. A couple of people here have them. What many of us would also love is to have access to all the varieties of red finger limes that are available where you are. It seems that most (if not all) of the nurseries here in the U.S. only have the green finger lime, so it would be nice to get one of the nice red ones.

• John 9a
    6 years ago

Saltysea, I don't know what other names there are for the Persian sweet lime but it's apparently well-known to have little flavor. I asked for some input here to see why it didn't really taste like a lime. The general consensus is that it's known to have a tepid or practically non-existent flavor. It's quite juicy but it tastes like someone squeezed a small lime into about five gallons of water and let some grapefruit peels steep in it a few days. I found out the bitter off flavor could be reduced by juicing the fruit with a press juicer rather than a reamer juicer. I think the press juicer reduces the flavors imparted from the peel and section membranes. I would trade the Persian sweet lime in on just about any other fruit tree but I was happy to find a way I could reasonably drink the juice for its health benefits.

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    6 years ago

This is the newest edition to my citrus tree collection for only $24.99 at Home Depot a variegated Eureka pink lemon that is 4 1/2 feet

• Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nick now I am jealous :).

What a beauty and for $ 25 thats really good! 4.5 feet. Thats two pink variegated lemons you have now. Looking forward to seeing the fruit!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

Nick Because *I am Mennonite I have to pretend that I never suffer from feelings of jealous, but I can admit that I am aware that it will take 6 years for my best seed grown kumquat to get to that size. Great find.

Mark Twain once said that great finds in citrus trees accompanied with low prices will come to Cincinnati 20 years after they are found anywhere else on earth.

Steve

• devsense
    6 years ago

Herez my list , the other link is 2 seasons old n my collection has grown since then .

Though now I make a conscious effort on not increasing by a lot as I am out of space but ofcourse often the urge takes over :)Improved
    Meyer Lemon
    Variagated
    Pink Eureka Lemon
    Bearess/Persian
    Lime
    Kaffir(Makrut)
    Lime
    Italian
    Cedro (Ponderosa?)
    Nagami
    Kumquat
    Pomelo
    Buddhas
    Hand closed hand cultivar
    Calamondin
    Washington
    Navel orange
    Eureka
    lemon
    Key
    Lime
    Frost
    Owari Satsuma Mandarin
    Indio
    Mandarinquat
    Oro
    Blanco Grapefruit
    Sanguinelli
    Blood Orange
    Trovita
    Orange
    NewZealand
    Lemonade
    Buddhas
    Hand Open Hand Cultivar
    Cara
    Cara Navel Orange
    Lakeland
    Limequat
    Meiwa
    Kumquat
    Australian
    Finger Lime (Alstonville)
    Yuzu
    Ichandrin
    Sudachi
    Ichandrin
    Seville
    Sour Orange
    Bergamot
    Sour Orange
    Nordman
    Seedless Nagami Kumquat
    C-35
    Citrange
    Gondhoraj
    Lime
    Italian
    lemon ( Sorrento or Amlafi group?)
    Australian
    Finger Lime ( Red)
    Ponderosa
    Lemon
    Xie
    Shan Satsuma Mandarin
    Fukushu
    Kumquat
    Castello
    Lime
    Indian
    ( Palestine) Sweet Lime
    Chinotto
    Sour Orange
    Santa
    Teresa Feminnelo Lemon
    Centennial
    Varigated Kumquat
    Gold
    Nugget Mandarin
    Page
    Mandarin
    Mineola
    Tangelo
    Variegated
    Calamondin
    Etrog
    Citron : Ordered for 2018
    Bouquet
    De Fleur Sour Orange: Ordered for 2018
    Pomona
    Sweet Lemon: Ordered for 2018
    Rangpur
    Lime: Ordered for 2018

Giant
    Key Lime: Ordered for 2018

Regards

Dev

Saltysea (Oz) thanked devsense
  • Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow that is some list Dev...

I have just finished reading about Gondhoraj...I am confused some sites are calling it a rangpur, but it doesn't look like the rangpur I have seen. It is a different plant? What does it taste like in comparison to a tahitian or a west indian lime for example?

I will be showing my family your list :). They think I have a lot of trees :). I know what you mean about the urge and this site has definitely expanded my wish list! I picked up a couple of discounted trees yesterday after resolving myself the day before that i would wait for next spring...but they were discounted...ahem

Unfortunately/thankfully? we don't seem to have access to as many of the citrus plants that you guys have over there

Amazing list Dev. Will have to check out your other posts to see pics!

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    6 years ago

Devsense how much land do you have for all those trees

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

Dev Nice list. You musts have a big greenhouse or a large in house growing area. could you share some pictures of your setup. I have a Fukushu and New Zealand lemonade outside and 6 Meiwa,1 NZL1 Fukushu, and one valentine pomelo inside and I feel overwhelmed with all my trees. You are doing quite a few somethings right with that number. How many cubic meters of fruit do you harvest each year. We measure in bushels "76 liters".

Steve

• Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the pics devsense. You are definitely a citrus lover. Everytime I speak to someone on this site my wishlist grows.

You have some quite tall plants indoors. What is the little one in the orange pot? It looks like it is loaded with fruit? And the tall one with red flowers is that a pomegrante? I have a baby pomegranate in a pot. Hopefully it gets as tall as yours.

I have read a bit more about the gondhoraj now, very interesting. Its great discovering new citrus. Relative to most people on this site I only have a small collection and I have long since ran out of room. But you always think one more...

• Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Jenny you were right. Just checked my crispy dry blueberries and there was some new green growth on one of them :) Yay! The TLC worked (at least for one). Thanks for the encouragement.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    6 years ago

Hey Saltysea - just keep them watered and they will continue to resprout and will probably start sending up some new shoots (canes) from the roots too. Those shoots are tender and can wilt fast if it is still very hot and the soil is dry, so keep 'em moist. They are some tough plants but am glad yours are recovering! I have had my potted lilacs crisp up and drop leaves during heatwaves but they also resprout with some TLC. :-)

• devsense
    6 years ago

Hi saltysea- the orange pot variegated citrus with fruit is centennial kumquat .

• Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Jenny I am pretty stoked that they are alive. Even well established mature trees in my area really struggled in that heat.

Devsense. Very pretty tree. Just spent the last 20 minutes googling it :). Thanks for sharing your pictures!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

I have a Seville sour orange seedling to add to this list

• Nancy
    6 years ago

I'm a beginner and taking to heart something Poncirusguy Steve said on another thread. And that is that he's been here long enough to see many new to the forum get a vast collection, and then over time disappear. He said better to spend time focusing on the trees you have than on what you want next. Excellent advice but sooooo difficult to heed. I hope next time this question is asked I have close to the same plants I have today. Already too many.

Owari Satsuma

Kumo Wase Satsuma

Miho Wase Satsuma

Golden Nugget

Kishu

Tango

Dancy

Shiranui

Yosemite gold

2 Minneola Tangelos

Pearl tangelo

2 Meyer lemons

2 Variegated lemons

Red lime

Key lime

Too many for someone just less than 2 years growing citrus indoors. It doesn't look like much but when I list them it seems MORE than enough. Hope I'm still here in two years- both alive and as a contributor. At 66 each day with grandkids and watching citrus grow is a blessing.

Nancy

PS. But if forced to I'd take a Shasta Gold and a Daisy SL ;)

Saltysea (Oz) thanked Nancy
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    6 years ago

I don't have even half the collection I used to since I moved and had to start over lol. Right now I have,

Buddah's Hand -2

Moro Blood Orange

Ruby Red Grapefruit

Key Lime

Satsuma Owari

Persian Lime

Kaffir Lime

Sanbokan Lemon

Meyer Lemon-2

Variegated Lemon (Eureka)

Meiwa Kumquat

Nagami Kumquat

Australian fingerlime

I'm probably forgetting a couple lol

Here's my last Buddah's Hand I picked this fall. It amazingly stayed on the tree through Hurricane Irma lol. Its still a small tree so most of the fruit fall off but they are getting better every year :)

From last year 2016

Saltysea (Oz) thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nancy and Sultry really lovely lists :). Thank you for sharing .Similar size lists to mine. I also didn't think I had a lot until I started listing....

Nancy I also heeded what Steve said about citrus saturation and it got me thinking too , but then I see pictures of Sultrys Buddha's hand and think.... ooh I want one..

Sultry, what a cool Buddha's hand specimen. Also thanks to you Sultry, I've just spent the last 20 minutes reading about Sanbokan lemons...and now I want one of those too .

I've carted my citrus plants with me from house to house for 6 years (6 citrus plants..I won't get into the other potted plants).. I finally settled last year and my plant to human ratio increased dramatically...and thats when the citrus obsession and the list above expanded. I was reading this forum all the time so I said I had better participate and help other newbies with my failures.

I hope I am also still citrus obsessed in a few years time.

• Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Steve I see you have snuck another seedling in. Is it a present or one you have grown yourself? Either way pretty cool.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

I hatched this one my self under a brooder lamp. It is for rootstock. The Seville sour orange was the best rootstock for quality fruit and heavy wet clay soils with higher PH levels. That is 90% of us. Then Came Tristeza and that was over. Hopefully I will be able to graft Fukushu kumquats and New Zealand lemonade to this to give a boost of brix to otherwise low brix low acid fruits. Sour orange and the Meiwa kumquat is totally incompatible with out an inter-stock. With my grafting ability of 1.5% my chances of a double graft comes down to a 0.0225% chance of success. I will not make any attempts. This is where the sour orange seedling came from.

[Sour orange seedling[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/can-any-one-tell-me-wht-kind-of-sour-orange-this-is-dsvw-vd~5048076?n=39)

Steve

• Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's really cool Steve. :) I actually remember reading that. I will enjoy reading about this little seeding's progress.

• Matt
    6 years ago

@Dev That's amazing. Where did you get some of them?? unless I missed it somewhere..?

Here's my small list... I hope to add two or three new ones this year.

some sort of orange tree - all the tag says is orange LOL

Pink variegated lemon

Meyer lemon

Calamondin

Limequat

Saltysea (Oz) thanked Matt
  • Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jenny my 2nd blueberry has recovered. I'm stoked :)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

My New Zealand lemonade has no green in the roots cambium and I must scratch that tree off my list

Steve

• Kelley_GA8a
    6 years ago

So sorry, Steve :(

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    6 years ago

Steve, I am so sorry to see that you lost your NZL.

• TheyCallMeDave
    6 years ago

I might be on the same boat as Steve, my Meyer only has 1 leaf left... lots of branch dieback. The main stems still appear to be okay, hopefully it survives until Spring.

• devsense
    6 years ago

Matt- many different sources , other than GTA nurseries for the more common varieties. I bought a few from Perry (floraexotica). Though past couple years it's solely from David (greenscapegardens ) and Garry (PhoenixPerrenials) .

• Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh Steve. Oh no. We only peeked at it last month? And it was doing so well. I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

• Saltysea (Oz)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Dave sorry I missed your comment. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your tree too. I hope it bounces back.

• Nancy
    6 years ago

Bought one of those cocktail trees from Hirts a few months back. It was impulsive as they strike me as a little "cutesy" and not serious trees. The lemon and lImequat's roots are intertwined and no way to separate. Lemon looked sickly and yellow leafed on arrival, but the limequat fine. The lemon has dropped some leaves but just noticed a few bursts of green on the branches. Someday 10 years from now want to be drinking gin and tonics and whiskey sours even though I don't imbibe- yet.

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    6 years ago

Steve, Dave, sorry for your trees! l lost the rescued mandarins that were abused by former owner :(( but the lemon is still hanging in there with a few leaves. The scale is still coming back, treated the tree three times since I got it.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

I have about 20 Seville orange seedling poking through the soil. I will know in a week if my NZL is dead or not

Steve

• Nancy
    6 years ago

Hoping your NZL makes it Steve. Those seedlings must do your heart well.