SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anna_z25

HELP! Dying/dead cacti/succulents (euphorbia ingens? unknown)

anna Z
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

https://imgur.com/a/6vp1k - pictures for reference | Zone 8 DFW area

Hello! I am new to cacti and all forms of gardening TBH, but I bought a house in the fall and there were three beautiful specimens in the small courtyard left from the previous owner. As this is my first time doing any sort of garden care (have only lived in condos/apts previously), i really just assumed they were some nice outdoor hardy plants as they seemed quite big and healthy.

Lo and behold, winter comes rolling in and I read online that people cover their plants etc. I went to the local nursery to ask them a) what kind of plants I had and b) what I needed to do to protect them in the cold weather.
Nursery guy doesn't really know the details, but sells me some plant blankets. I proceeded to wrap them before the really cold few days hit (20degrees in TX). We're now back up to high of 50-60 in the day time.

Yesterday, I saw that the covered plant in the middle had fallen! His four big limbs dropped and i immediately freaked.
i unwrapped all of them and sure enough, the one in the middle all the limbs were saggy and smooshy and rotten feeling. Looking online, I did the first thing I read which was amputate (it seems I should have waited for them to rot first...). Ugh. anyways, what's done is done.

Today, i noticed that the tips of all of them are TURNING YELLOW! i mean, yesterday the tips of all of them were soft but not as soft as the fallen limbs... but today they are full on yellow.
I have no idea what to do ... are these goners? I'm heading out of town tomorrow for 2 weeks and am so worried for these guys :( Any last minute rescue I can do??

Here are some photos... before and after -- today :(((( you can see why i'm distraught. They look terrible now. https://imgur.com/a/6vp1k
Note: although they are in planters, they seem to weigh about 200+ lbs as i cannot even remotely budget them.

Comments (3)