SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emy_r

Local Architect or Modifications with the Architect of a Stock Plan?

emy_r
6 years ago

I'm a first time poster, but I have been lurking for some time. My husband and I are hoping to build our future retirement home 3-4 years from now. We have land in my hometown that we bought about 15 years ago, and then last year we bought an adjoining tract. The land is in Mississippi and is mixed timber and pasture.

I have always loved old houses, and years ago there was an old house on our property. The landowner of the property at the time sold the house to someone who moved it to another location and restored it. My husband and I both love the style of house that was originally on the property and would like to build a similar styled home. To give an idea of the style, here are a few links to house plans with exteriors that we like:

Louisiana Garden Cottage

Texas Style Farmhouse

Bayou Couteau

And here is a picture of a house very similar to the original one that was on the property:

I've read a lot of recommendations here to hire an architect rather than using a stock plan. I get this as none of the stock plans that I've found are right for what we want without some modifications. However, my post today is a result of reading a post on an older thread, where one of the regular posters here was discussing what to expect when going to an architect. It almost sounded as if you shouldn't go in to the meeting with the architect with a preconceived idea of what the final design will be. Will an architect feel constrained working with us? Would it make more sense to contact one of the architects/designers of stock plans (like those linked above) and work with them on modifications? I understand from reading here that there is significant benefit in working with a local architect that can visit your site, but would working long distance with an architect/designer who already has a stock plan with a similar exterior/style make more economic sense in this case?

I appreciate any thoughts/recommendations that anyone would be willing to share with me. We are definitely still in the dreaming stage but would like to get started down the right path as early as possible. Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)