SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrome624

Is water supposed to leak under shower floor tiles?? Pictures included

Chris
6 years ago

Hello,

I recently had a contractor remodel my master bathroom and everything looked fine to me, although there were some parts of the job I felt were not done as well as they could have. For example the guy that ended up grouting my shower floor was actually an electrician who wanted to "learn" how to expand his skill set. I did not think much of it at the time as I don't know anything about remodeling. So everything was grouted, no caulk or silicone was used. It was sealed as well.

Anyways, after using the shower for 4 months I see there is that pink mold growth under my tiles (I unknowingly chose a design that had some clear tiles in it). I read that grout and tiles are not waterproof so I would expect some water to leak under but it looks very ugly. So is this normal and most people don't see the growth under their tiles because they aren't see-through and I just chose a bad design? Or is the tiling and grout to blame? Thank you

Here are some pictures, as you can see the pink residue under the tiles is the problem.

Comments (27)