SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ethanfahy

Specifying "grades" vs "brand+model" in construction contract

e f
6 years ago

I'm currently in the late stages of having a house designed for me and will then be taking those design artifacts out to bid for construction. I have put a lot of effort into researching as many components of the house as I can to try to make decisions about materials, fixtures, etc., but I still have more research to do. My feeling is that the best way to get what I want and to avoid misunderstandings or getting outright cheated and lied to is to put as much detail into the design and design contract as possible. To that end, my question is whether it's appropriate or normal to try to specify the exact brand, model number, etc. of every single component in a construction contract vs specifying allowances or "grades" for materials. For example, is it appropriate to specify an exact brand and model number for hardwood flooring material vs specifying something like 3/4" white oak solid wood flooring and assuming that the contractor will pick something appropriate based on current availability, cost, preferred vendor, etc? I get the sense that the answer probably depends on what material in particular I'm talking about, but I would interested to hear general thoughts on this topic. Thanks!

Comments (25)