SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robinhopemancini

What quartzite works best with creamy White Dove cabinets? Please help

RHM
6 years ago

Trying to choose a natural stone for our kitchen. We have White Dove cabinets, light biscuit subway tile backsplash, medium dark floors and a dark stained island. Accessible Beige walls as of right now, but would LOVE to paint them. They are so drab to me. My dream was to have marble but we are afraid of the upkeep and it's hard to get the right one for this color of cabinet/splash combo. They've all clashed terribly. We've tried all the marble looking quartz out there, and they are too white or too dingy in our kitchen, and they look plasticky to me. Not in love with the idea of granite, since we've had it before and I'm wanting something less busy, but I DO know we seem to prefer real stone over anything else. It is open concept and everything in the other rooms are shades of cream, browns, gray, taupes. I like to change out accent colors as the seasons go, but I really love blues, seaglass, green, red. I also love my dishes and linens so I'd like to have something that's not as busy as what we have now, which is Bellingham quartz. I'd prefer to keep the counters all the same around as the island, since it's a dark stain and different than the cabinets. I am looking for calm and classic, elegant, so I can change accent colors.

I know nothing about quartzite as far as maintenance and etching/stains. Looking at Taj Mahal and Princess White(?) I also LOVE Danby Marble. Which Danby could work? Thank you.

Comments (49)

• sprtphntc7a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

you should post on the kitchen forum, you will get more responses. in the kitchen forum search for the geology threads. excellent advice & guidance for counters.

karin_mt is the poster and she is AWESOME!!

RHM thanked sprtphntc7a
  • maire_cate
    6 years ago

I checked to see if you posted on the Kitchens Forum but didn't see anything so I'll answer here.

My ceiling and walls are White Dove and my cabinets are a close match. We installed medium oak floors, stainless appliances and I wanted a subdued, counter that would blend in with all the other elements in the open floor plan.

We picked Ice Flake Quartzite and followed Karin's advice from the Kitchen Forum for testing. We wanted honed but had the fabricator give us 2 pieces - one polished, one honed. We put ketchup, vinegar, coffee, oil, mustard, Dawn dish soap, slices of lemon and red wine on the surface and left overnight. Both sides passed the tests.

http://www.marbleoftheworld.com/index.php/ice-flake.html

We have Danby, Taj Mahal and Mont Blanc in the bathrooms - love them all.

RHM thanked maire_cate
  • Related Discussions

Backsplash Help for Creamy white cabinets, soapstone...

Q

Comments (19)
    Bestyears, My cabinets were painted in the factory and called antique white, but I can tell you that it is a near perfect match to BM's Marble White OC34. Thanks for the photo, this is all so helpful. I am in the process of calling marble yards and getting pictures sent to me, and saw some in person. I really love the largest tile in my photos as I feel that the deep charcoal vein and warm tan veins, with the clear white background is most complementary to my kitchen. Finding that is proving to me most difficult. Makes me think that subway or marble mosaic is a much easier choice. But then again I have waited this long to find the right thing... I am so grateful for all the ideas and help you all have given me. I was on the building forum a ton about 5 years ago when we built our house and I could not have done it without all the wonderful support, ideas and knowledge! Kitty
    ...See More

Creamy white cabinet selection torture...help!

Q

Comments (6)
    I have BM White Dove. In the showroom it did not look like a bright white. In my home, it looks very bright. Some say it has a gray undertone but I don't see it. If I could do it over, I would ask if I could bring a sample of a door home and look at it in my lighting. Lighting is very important with any color. Once you decide and have the cabinets up, really look at them at different times of the day. If possible bring home samples of granite. (I did not do this and there lies another one of my regrets.) You may not want your original choice of granite when you see it next to your cabinets.
    ...See More

Wall and trim color to go with BM White Dove cabinets? Help please. :)

Q

Comments (20)
    I would love to see pictures also as i have White Dove kitchen Cabinets and was looking at using Winds Breath for all the walls in the house and White Dove for all the doors and trim,in pearl finish . My floors through out the house will be Ambiance’s Hickory Silver Mint which is a hand scraped Hickory greige, very warm. I sometimes see mauve in the floor and if the Winds Breath can lean towards a pink hue will this bring the mauve out of the floor or will the floor bring the pink out of the walls. The kit hen, dining and living room face south so very bright with natural light. All out lights are 4000K. Would appreciate any help. Thank you
    ...See More

Please help with creamy white exterior paint plan and limewashed brick

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi Beverly, Here are some more pics I took of the house. The way it is situated on the lot, mostly you see the tall garage from the street. I took another angle so you could see the entryway too. The front door is new, so I haven't stained it yet. I plan to do so after the painting is done. Patricia, thanks for your advice! I am new to the PNW, so it never occurred to me that a white house could look dirty and mildewy, but that does make sense. I like the look of limewashed brick, so did not think it could potentially devalue my property. These points are definitely some things I will need to think about. Thanks for your pic too, the house color of your pic is nicer than my current house color. But I have never been a fan of green houses. Are there other colors that work with reddish brick? My current house color feels very dark and heavy given the constant cloudy days. I would love to achieve a light and airy coastal feeling, if possible. I would love suggestions. My painter got delayed because of rain here, so I have a few more days to decide on colors. thank you!
    ...See More
  • RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you maire_cate . I thought I DID post this on the Kitchens Forum..not sure how to do it then? What is your trim color? And what is your backsplash? Do you have any photos?

• RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Okay this is really weird! First of all, your kitchen looks beautiful! :) Is your tile Shaw Baker Street Biscuit? That's what mine is and mine has the exact pattern as yours, even the exact accent under your hood. Looks great! I have the lighted uppers too. My island is a dark stain though, and I wish it was light but oh well..I love the quartzite! Have you had any issues with it etching, etc.? I know nothing about quartzite. I'm conflicted between getting something like this or the Danby marble. You sound like me, wanting a clean look. Is yours honed did you say? Thank you so much for sharing this. :) I really appreciate it.

• maire_cate
    6 years ago

Thank you for your kind words. Actually it's not all that weird that our tile is similar - it's a rather common design.

I'm not sure which brand of tile we have - we're out of town so I can't check my records and we picked it 6 months ago.

Originally I considered using the quartzite for the back splash too but DH thought we needed a little more interest. I think I would have been happy either way. We also considered using smaller tiles with a few glass tiles interspersed but finally decided that we wanted to keep it simple. The kitchen is not large and is open to the family room so we didn't want anything distracting.

We haven't had any issues with the Ice Flake. One of the reasons we chose to have it honed is to avoid a shiny, reflective surface. Some polished stones nearly look plastic. Honing gives it a softer more muted look and increases the translucent quality of the Ice Flake.

Stone is an expensive counter and you really should check Karen's advice for testing granites, quartzites and marbles. You can read all about the different stones - pros and cons too. Here's a link:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2692150/countertop-geology-part-six-lets-talk-about-rocks-some-more?n=597

Finally if you really don't like the dark stain on your island have you considered changing it?

RHM thanked maire_cate
  • RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We like the honed as well. We love the texture and feel it has, and yes, I don't care for so much shine anymore. The quartz I have right now is so shiny that the under cabinet lights just glare into my eyes while cooking. I don't like it. I have never heard of this quartzite and wonder if I'll be able to check it out in town this week. I hope my fabricator has it or can send me somewhere that does. How did you end up decorating your space? Wondering how to warm it up because going lighter everywhere on the counters will be a big change! Is it creamy and does it give enough brightness to the cabinets/splash? It looks like it..I'm having a hard time finding the right amount of white and bright without making the cabinets look too yellow and clashing..Also some samples are too gray or dingy. I guess I need more warmth, but I didn't want to go the gold route. I dreamed of marble and white cabinets, but ended up with creamier white so it's difficult to get it right. I can't wait to see if I can look at it tomorrow. I would like to change the island at some point.Thank you so much for all your help and input. It's not easy to get this right. One more thing..are you bulbs warmer or cool white light? Trying to get that right too!

• RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beth H. thank you, but I need to go with a calmer look, less busy counter. Those are beautiful but I'm in love with Danby marble and that whole classic kitchen look. I also am interested in some of the quartzite. Any more suggestions? Quartz that I haven't tried yet? They are either too white or too gray or dingy with the White Dove and Biscuit tiles. :/

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

why are there biscuit subway tiles installed before a countertop? and where are the pictures? I thought you didn't want marble? Marie pics are very nice. can you copy that countertop? would that work for you?

• RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We are changing the counter and everything else stays. I would love marble but I've had so many warnings and then it makes me worried I wouldn't be able to deal with etching, but I'm not OCD and love the look of old marble! :) I always have loved the patina that comes with it. BUT I do cook every night and worry about oil stains. Is it that bad and can you do something for them? Yes, Marie's counter looks like it could work. Do you think it would be okay with a dark stained island too? Sorry no pics.

• RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

OMG nidnay! That is stunning! I have the same shaker cabinets and uppers like this. what is your backsplash and what are your cabinets White Dove? What color is your island base? Have you had it for very long? How is it going? Any regrets? Is it going to be on the island too? Thank you so much for sharing your story and for sending these photos. Do you cook a lot? Oil stains especially around the cooktop? Guess I could put some cutting boards there..:) This is an expensive decision and I want to love my kitchen every day I walk in there and not regret whatever we choose, like we did before.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

nidnay!!! happy new year. .......... isn't her house stunning? she doesn't know it yet, but I'm moving in with her when it's complete ;)

that bianco avion is a good choice for you. get it honed,,,keep it sealed (it buys you time to clean up,,,nothing else) and use trivets and cutting boards. embrace the etching. remember, a marble restoration guy can come out once a year and sand it new looking again. I have it done to my shower floor. Go for it.

• Nidnay
    6 years ago
    ..... ..... (great screen name :).......Sorry to say we have not moved in yet (I am hoping soon)...so I can’t answer any of your maintenance questions. I do cook a lot, but I am a neat cook...always have been. I always use a cutting board when I prep. I don’t lay dirty spoons or drippy jars on my counters...everything always gets placed on a cutting board (the main one I use is 3 feet long and is the depth of my counter btw....so it’s BIG and is right next to my current cooktop). If anything does spill or drip, I wipe as I go. That has always been my habit (and everyone else in the family as well - we just always use a cutting board for the messy stuff and keep things pretty clean). Being neat and tidy is not a conscious thing though and takes no effort, it’s just my MO. So, maybe that’s why I feel pretty confident in choosing marble (although I am a little nervous about it....not the staining part, but the etching). I think it will be ok though. I just know me....I know I would not be satisfied with a different material. If I chose something else, I would be regretting my decision and wishing I had gone with marble. If it turns out that it’s a beast to keep up with, I guess I will deal with it and hope to win the lottery so it can be replaced :) I do believe though, that the greater regret would be not getting it and at least giving it a shot. There is just a depth and beauty it has that cannot be matched by any quartz I’ve ever seen. And although there’s some gorgeous quartzite out there, it just didn’t fit the bill.

My island base is white. I chose not to do marble there but will have a wood top (walnut - no finish - just oil). I chose oil because I didn’t want to have to baby it. Maintenance wise, it just needs oiling every so often. With an oil finish, if any major marring occurs, it can easily be sanded a bit and then re-oiled. We have seating for 4 or 5 at the island and that will be where we have most of our meals. It’s nice to have one area where I can plop down groceries or bang things around without worrying about breakage (glasses, cups, dishes etc.). Also, I much prefer eating or having a meal on a wood top instead of hard, cold stone.

I haven’t chosen my backsplash yet. I am waiting for the island top to be installed. It’s just too difficult for me to envision the darker island top with the light perimeter counters and then get a real feel for what would appeal to me on the backsplash. I can guarantee you though, it will not be white subway tile. I need more contrast than that and something with a little more interest (and anyway, Beth H would kill me).

My cabinets are a custom color from my cabinet guy, so I have no idea what white they would match up with. They are not a stark cold white...they are warm....but not yellowish either.

Here’s a pic of the island base cabs and a sample of what the walnut top will look like (but instead of the rounded shape and square edge, it will be an ogee edge and a rectangular shape). Have you considered wood for your island, or do you want to stick with stone?
    RHM thanked Nidnay
  • Nidnay
    6 years ago
    Hi Beth!! Happy New Year to you too :) .....I’m still workin hard over here....
  • RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

nidnay, just gorgeous! I have my sink in the island so I'd be afraid to do the wood on the island, although I LOVE the warmth it gives, and I agree about eating on cold stone and breaking things! Are you staining your floors and hood or is this the color? It's beautiful too.

• Nidnay
    6 years ago

I will have a sink in the island as well, but it is not the main kitchen sink, and so will not be used as much. I think if was my main sink, I would be a little hesitant.

Floors will be a medium stain, but I am so used to seeing them the way they are now that I think it will be a real shock to see them darker. I really like them as they are....makes everything light and airy. I’ve been looking into clear coats, but they have a tendency to give off a yellow or orange tinge. I just know it’s gonna bug me when they’re stained darker.

Haven’t decided on the hood yet. I’ve seen some faux copper finishes that are beautiful, but I’m still undecided. Again, I will have to wait until the island top gets installed in order to determine which direction I go.

• RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I really appreciate your nice comments. You AND maire_cate have been so helpful and you both have gorgeous kitchens! :)

• poorgirl
    6 years ago

Hi there we are currently designing our kitchen and will also have White Dove cabinets with , the Quartz we are using is called Raffine by LG Hausys, all the walls will be Winds Breath , the Island will have the same quartz but will have a oak base with a light stain, The other quartz we found that worked well with the White Dove is Frosty Carrina by Caesarstone.

RHM thanked poorgirl
  • RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

poorgirl, thank you for your response! LG seems to have quite a few softer whites with brown and gray veining. That's what I feel would work. Getting the undertones right and the right amount of brightness is what's the hard part! We HAVE to choose this week and we are just going back and forth! I've been told Torquay would work, but the matte version and I'm afraid of getting matte since it's so new, I don't know how the reviews will be, plus I'm wondering if it looks more fake. I've seen samples and I know it shows smudges more. :/

• RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

poorgirl Does the Raffine blend or have some contrast? What's your backsplash?

• Nidnay
    6 years ago

What about this quartzite.... Quarto Bianco. This is polished, but you could get it honed. Of course you’d have to see it in person (difficult to see true colors here), but it looks nice in the pic.

RHM thanked Nidnay
  • poorgirl
    6 years ago

I come from the stone industry, 22 years in stone and its killing me to buy a man made product but its the look, I would have got a leathered white artic granite but it was to busy for the space. The Raffine is timeless with the White Dove. Light and airy , That is the look we are going for, a timeless kitchen, we are doing open concept, , the floors are engineered hardwood by ambiance , Hickory Silver Mint. It’s a small house we are renovating, all the floors in the house will be the same and all the paint.

My colour palette is the same as yours, all warm, browns, warm greys, Taupes and this has it all. Now our kitchen faces south and has sliding doors in it so it gets lots of light. I will be doing a white back splash, haven’t had time to find it yet. our last kitchen we did grey glass and I thought my husband would divorce me as it was a night mare to install. We are doing a small island also with the same top but a light stained oak base. All shaker doors , cabinets up to the ceiling.

Here is a picture of it, I don’t think the colour came through correct but you can see the cream/white in the stone.

RHM thanked poorgirl
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

...... and nidnay, I had to look up the bianco avion. wasn't familiar w/it. it is gorgeous. this is polished but I like the honed look

BTW, ..... ...... (what is with the dots??) if you take a look at this blog post, she talks about the marble in her kitchen, and suggests taking the Briggs-Myers personality test to see if you should have marble! lol. I already know my type and am pretty sure I'd be OCD about keeping this pristine. Just from having marble floors in the bathroom, I can see water stains and other etching stains (and it's honed and sealed to the moon) prob from hair products or whatever. I knew it going in so I'm not going to fret over it. I love my marble floor.

this is what it's going to do,,,regardless. the good thing is you really can't see it unless the light hits it just right.

http://www.lifeingraceblog.com/2013/04/living-with-marble-countertops-a-cautionary-tale/

honestly, I'm thinking about redoing my kitchen countertops and doing something lighter. maybe quartzite. there are so many more choices than when I did this kitchen 15 years ago! back then it was just granite. And the more gold/brown tones and busy looking, the better!

RHM thanked Beth H. :
  • RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lol Beth H., I have no idea how the dots got there, nor do I know how to change it at this point! :) Maybe I'll get my DH to help me change it. Yep, after many years of the brown, black granite(not that there's anything wrong w/ that), I am so ready for a change and I just want to have a calm, warm, inviting timeless Martha Stewart type kitchen. I live in my kitchen and cook all the time and I love to change my accents and not be limited to the same colors all the time. We have a huge island and I want don't want to look at the busy pattern anymore. The one thing that is difficult is, that when you stand at the sink in the island you are looking in the living room. Open concept. Never had one before. I never thought I had to make sure my countertops would blend with my sofa, etc. Every part of it has a well defined space which is good, I guess at this point it just has to flow and not "match"? Have you seen Torquay Matte yet? I don't think we want a shiny finish after living w/the glossy quartz we have now.

• RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

poorgirl, very interesting..My kitchen unfortunately faces North and is very dark. I'd give anything to get some natural light but it's a very dark house. Another reason why I feel like I need to brighten it up. That is really pretty. I want to go get a sample of it tomorrow. That is so sweet of you. :)

• RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

By the way Beth H., I have a herringbone mosaic in our shower. What is the best way to clean it? It hardly even gets wet since the shower is so big. I love it.

• RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

poorgirl, did you say what your trim color is? Mine is Alabaster SW, and I have bookshelves in the living room the same color and a coffered ceiling. The only thing that is this cream are the cabinets. Are the cabinets and trim always supposed to be the same color?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

i don't mind matte,,,,but I don't really dig this pattern.

have you look at Silestone? the suede finishes? the eternal collections?

if I could have any marble, I'd pick this one. love the black and white

or, have you seen this one? Lilac White, purple vein?

RHM thanked Beth H. :
  • RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What type of pattern do you like? I'm not sure at this point, we've looked at so many. We have Torquay in our master bathroom and would like something different if possible.

• RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Woah! That's quite a statement! :) I think I'm more of a Calacutta Gold or Danby marble type of girl. I'm not that bold. :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I like the calacatta too. has a bit more warmer tones to it. If your furniture is more on the tan/brown/wood side, you might like the calacatta better. silestone has eternal calacatta.

you didn't like princess white? this is so varied, it's hard to get one shot of what it looks like

RHM thanked Beth H. :
  • RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just don't have any idea how much it would cost. It's always been my dream but never asked because I thought it was out of the question, so I guess we need to check asap. This one looks nice by Silestone. Wonder if the background would be too white or gray or just enough brightness? Our furniture fabrics are neutral oatmeals, gray, browns, and the legs range from medium brown to gray brown. Floors are medium dark.

You are so nice to help Beth H.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I believe this is Calacatta nuvo classique quartz (I think,,the article wasn't very clear) with the warmer tones, it would work well w/your woods. Try and find a warmer toned counter like nidnay was talking about. And yes, these aren't a cheap date. but spending a few thousand more to get what you like and what you will have for decades to come, is a small price.

• RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is the Silestone quartz?? It looks like a big thick piece of marble to me! Have you seen the Silestone in person? Is it warmer?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

yes, I think that pic is the real marble. If it is quartz, it's a damn good reproduction! If you wanted the real stuff, going w/the warmer calacatta may be an option. and not all of them have the large veining like that. I have not seen a huge slab of that silestone in person. but I was considering their charcoal which looks like soapstone. they have a suede texture akin to matte which I love.

RHM thanked Beth H. :
  • RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, we both like the texture of matte/honed.

• poorgirl
    6 years ago

My trim will be in Winds Breath semi and the walls will be winds breath matte there should be enough difference just in the 2 finishes to notice.

In this house the back yard is beautiful and backs onto a field we have the morning sun rise and also the sunset , the bedrooms were at the back with the backyard and the kitchen and living room are facing north, so we are flipping the front of the house to the back so we gain all the light in the kitchen and living dining room, my sink and dishwasher will be in the island, facing the livingroom.

• poorgirl
    6 years ago

I also wanted some colour on my countertop so the Raffine gives me that. Best of Luck in your search,

RHM thanked poorgirl
  • RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

poorgirl, do you have samples of w/your cabinet? If so, could you send a pic? Thank you. :)

• RHM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

maire_cat which of your stones do you think is the easiest to take care of in your kitchen? Still the quartzite? Is it easier than the Danby? Which one do you have?

• poorgirl
    6 years ago
    Sorry my kitchen isn’t built yet, I will post them when it is built which is about 6 months away
  • carlsonwayztaa
    5 years ago

Taj mahal is lovely. Soft and warm but still light.

• Maggie Colletta
    5 years ago

Poor girl, so you have any updated images of the Raffine in your kitchen, I’m currently debating on this countertop but would love to see some more images!

• poorgirl
    5 years ago
    I’m so sorry I didn’t see this post . I’m still without my new kitchen, we were renovating the exterior of the house all summer and fall and now getting around to the interior.
    I’m still using the same quartz and colour palette.
    What did you end up using
  • Jennette Home
    3 years ago

poor girl, how did your kitchen turn out? I too have Benjamin Moore White Dove cabinets and and looking at countertops. I like the lighter and simpler ones....but none are matching well.

• Sara Bowles
    3 years ago

jennette Home...I have white dove cabinets on Perimeter..whinch countertops have you looked at?

• Jennette Home
    3 years ago

I found a Shadow Storm slab today that looked great with my cabinet color.

• Sara Bowles
    3 years ago

Awesome! I had chosen shadow storm, but then after researching found out that it was a marble and i am a bit of a messy cook!

• Jennette Home
    3 years ago

Yeah, same here, like it's a dolomite or marble. You get so tired of looking, you're like "I don't care any more!!" lol. Actually, it's not funny. It's a true investment that gets used daily...so it DOES need to hold up and endure. I too am a messy cook and am a person that doesn't mind if something sits on the countertop for a few hours esp when you're having a party -- what's on my countertop is my least concern!