That luck might down upon him pour;

That every blessing known in life
Might crown his homestead and his wife,
And never any kind of harm
Descend upon his growing farm.
James Thomas Fields

Alexander Smith Quotes
Scottish - Poet December 31, 1830 - January 5, 1867

Christmas is the day that holds all time together.
Alexander Smith

A man doesn't plant a tree for himself. He plants it for posterity.
Alexander Smith

To sit for one's portrait is like being present at one's own creation.
Alexander Smith

The saddest thing that befalls a soul is when it loses faith in God and woman.
Alexander Smith

If the egotist is weak, his egotism is worthless. If the egotist is strong, acute, full of distinctive character, his egotism is precious, and remains a possession of the race.
Alexander Smith

A man gazing on the stars is proverbially at the mercy of the puddles in the road.
Alexander Smith

To be occasionally quoted is the only fame I care for.
Alexander Smith

If you wish to preserve your secret, wrap it up in frankness.
Alexander Smith

Books are a finer world within the world.
Alexander Smith

There is no ghost so difficult to lay as the ghost of an injury.
Alexander Smith

Every man's road in life is marked by the graves of his personal liking.
Alexander Smith

If you do your fair day's work, you are certain to get your fair day's wage - in praise or pudding, whichever happens to suit your taste.
Alexander Smith

The man who in this world can keep the whiteness of his soul is not likely to lose it in any other.
Alexander Smith

Death is the ugly fact which Nature has to hide, and she hides it well.
Alexander Smith

I would rather be remembered by a song than by a victory.
Alexander Smith

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.
Alexander Smith

A great man is the man who does something for the first time.
Alexander Smith

Trees are your best antiques.
Alexander Smith

We bury love; Forgetfulness grows over it like grass: That is a thing to weep for, not the dead.
Alexander Smith

How deeply seated in the human heart is the liking for gardens and gardening.
Alexander Smith

Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition.
Alexander Smith

In life there is nothing more unexpected and surprising than the arrivals and departures of pleasure. If we find it in one place today, it is vain to seek it there tomorrow. You can not lay a trap for it.
Alexander Smith

I go into my library and all history unrolls before me.
Alexander Smith

Everything is sweetened by risk.
Alexander Smith

The sea complains upon a thousand shores.
Alexander Smith

Trifles make up the happiness or the misery of human life.
Alexander Smith

We are never happy; we can only remember that we were so once.
Alexander Smith

The dead keep their secrets, and in a while we shall be as wise as they - and as taciturn.
Alexander Smith

The world is not so much in need of new thoughts as that when thought grows old and worn with usage it should, like current coin, be called in, and, from the mint of genius, reissued fresh and new.
Alexander Smith

If you wish to make a man look noble, your best course is to kill him. What superiority he may have inherited from his race, what superiority nature may have personally gifted him with, comes out in death.
Alexander Smith

Henri Matisse Quotes
French - Artist December 31, 1869 - November 3, 1954

There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
Henri Matisse

Derive happiness in oneself from a good day's work, from illuminating the fog that surrounds us.
Henri Matisse

What I dream of is an art of balance, of purity and serenity devoid of troubling or depressing subject matter - a soothing, calming influence on the mind, rather like a good armchair which provides relaxation from physical fatigue.
Henri Matisse

There is nothing more difficult for a truly creative painter than to paint a rose, because before he can do so he has first to forget all the roses that were ever painted.
Henri Matisse

With color one obtains an energy that seems to stem from witchcraft.
Henri Matisse

Drawing is like making an expressive gesture with the advantage of permanence.
Henri Matisse

Creativity takes courage.
Henri Matisse

Impressionism is the newspaper of the soul.
Henri Matisse

An artist must possess Nature. He must identify himself with her rhythm, by efforts that will prepare the mastery which will later enable him to express himself in his own language.
Henri Matisse

He who loves, flies, runs, and rejoices; he is free and nothing holds him back.
Henri Matisse

I would like to recapture that freshness of vision which is characteristic of extreme youth when all the world is new to it.
Henri Matisse

It has bothered me all my life that I do not paint like everybody else.
Henri Matisse

Jazz is rhythm and meaning.
Henri Matisse

In love, the one who runs away is the winner.
Henri Matisse

I wouldn't mind turning into a vermilion goldfish.
Henri Matisse

My curves are not crazy.
Henri Matisse

Work cures everything.
Henri Matisse

I do not literally paint that table, but the emotion it produces upon me.
Henri Matisse

It is only after years of preparation that the young artist should touch color - not color used descriptively, that is, but as a means of personal expression.
Henri Matisse

Exactitude is not truth.
Henri Matisse

I have always tried to hide my efforts and wished my works to have a light joyousness of springtime which never lets anyone suspect the labors it has cost me.
Henri Matisse

A picture must possess a real power to generate light and for a long time now I've been conscious of expressing myself through light or rather in light.
Henri Matisse

I don't paint things. I only paint the difference between things.
Henri Matisse

You study, you learn, but you guard the original naivete. It has to be within you, as desire for drink is within the drunkard or love is within the lover.
Henri Matisse

An artist must never be a prisoner. Prisoner? An artist should never be a prisoner of himself, prisoner of style, prisoner of reputation, prisoner of success, etc.
Henri Matisse

A young woman has young claws, well sharpened. If she has character, that is. And if she hasn't so much the worse for you.
Henri Matisse

Cutting into color reminds me of the sculptor's direct carving.
Henri Matisse

In the beginning you must subject yourself to the influence of nature. You must be able to walk firmly on the ground before you start walking on a tightrope.
Henri Matisse

Instinct must be thwarted just as one prunes the branches of a tree so that it will grow better.
Henri Matisse

I'm growing old, I delight in the past.
Henri Matisse

Time extracts various values from a painter's work. When these values are exhausted the pictures are forgotten, and the more a picture has to give, the greater it is.
Henri Matisse

I have been no more than a medium, as it were.
Henri Matisse

I don't know whether I believe in God or not. I think, really, I'm some sort of Buddhist. But the essential thing is to put oneself in a frame of mind which is close to that of prayer.
Henri Matisse

George C. Marshall Quotes
American - Soldier December 31, 1880 - October 16, 1959

Don't fight the problem, decide it.
George C. Marshall

When a thing is done, it's done. Don't look back. Look forward to your next objective.
George C. Marshall

The only way human beings can win a war is to prevent it.
George C. Marshall

I can't expect loyalty from the army if I do not give it.
George C. Marshall

Go right straight down the road, to do what is best, and to do it frankly and without evasion.
George C. Marshall

Passive inactivity, because you have not been given specific instructions to do this or to do that, is a serious deficiency.
George C. Marshall

I will give you the best I have.
George C. Marshall

If man does find the solution for world peace it will be the most revolutionary reversal of his record we have ever known.
George C. Marshall

I was very careful to send Mr. Roosevelt every few days a statement of our casualties. I tried to keep before him all the time the casualty results because you get hardened to these things and you have to be very careful to keep them always in the forefront of your mind.
George C. Marshall

Simon Wiesenthal Quotes
Austrian - Activist December 31, 1908 - September 20, 2005

For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.
Simon Wiesenthal

God must have been on leave during the Holocaust.
Simon Wiesenthal

There is no denying that Hitler and Stalin are alive today... they are waiting for us to forget, because this is what makes possible the resurrection of these two monsters.
Simon Wiesenthal

The combination of hatred and technology is the greatest danger threatening mankind.
Simon Wiesenthal

I know I am not only the bad conscience of the Nazis. I am also the bad conscience of the Jews. Because what I have taken up as my duty was everybody's duty.
Simon Wiesenthal

Humour is the weapon of unarmed people: it helps people who are oppressed to smile at the situation that pains them.
Simon Wiesenthal

What connects two thousand years of genocide? Too much power in too few hands.
Simon Wiesenthal

Violence is like a weed - it does not die even in the greatest drought.
Simon Wiesenthal

The history of man is the history of crimes, and history can repeat. So information is a defence. Through this we can build, we must build, a defence against repetition.
Simon Wiesenthal

For your benefit, learn from our tragedy. It is not a written law that the next victims must be Jews. It can also be other people.
Simon Wiesenthal

The schools would fail through their silence, the Church through its forgiveness, and the home through the denial and silence of the parents. The new generation has to hear what the older generation refuses to tell it.
Simon Wiesenthal

When history looks back, I want people to know that the Nazis could not kill millions of people with impunity.
Simon Wiesenthal

Survival is a privilege which entails obligations. I am forever asking myself what I can do for those who have not survived.
Simon Wiesenthal

Discovering witnesses is just as important as catching criminals.
Simon Wiesenthal

We know that we are not collectively guilty, so how can we accuse any other nation, no matter what some of its people have done, of being collectively guilty?
Simon Wiesenthal

The end was surely near. The Nazis killed you only when you were naked, because they knew, psychologically, that naked people never resist.
Simon Wiesenthal

Justice for crimes against humanity must have no limitations.
Simon Wiesenthal

Technology without hatred can be a blessing. Technology with hatred is always a disaster.
Simon Wiesentha

Bob Shaw Quotes
Irish - Writer December 31, 1931 - February 11, 1996

I was utterly without worldly ambition because I knew that all that was needed for a rich, full life was a few shillings a week with which to buy SF magazines and beer.
Bob Shaw

I write science fiction for people who don't read a great deal of science fiction.
Bob Shaw

The universe is wonderful, but only when there is somebody there to wonder at it.
Bob Shaw

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions