SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chadbrown

Living Room Ceiling Height

Chad Brown
6 years ago

We are currently designing a custom home. The house will be 7000 ft Heated and Cooled and just under 10,000 under roof. The area of concern is the living room. I just changed the plan from having a 2 story living room ceiling to a 10ft ceiling. All of the downstairs ceilings will be 10ft with 8ft doors. The master bedroom will be the only exception and it will have a vaulted ceiling. I'm wondering if 10ft ceilings will be too low. The Kitchen and Main living area are one large open space separated by an arch in the ceiling. The general style of the home is French Country. Please help me with this. Thank you so much!

Comments (48)

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Well...have you considered using the golden mean or golden ratio to set heights? Used for over 4,000 years in art and architecture, it's a pretty good way to establish heights and widths. The golden mean is approximately equal to a 1:1.61 ratio.

Some believe it works. Some don't believe it works.

Good luck!

Chad Brown thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

Ask your architect. At that square footage and depending which state you are building in, you will be required to have one.

You're not trying to come up with a plan to take to an architect are you?

Chad Brown thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • Related Discussions

Need help! Window treatment dilemma

Q

Comments (8)
    Pretty room! I like your idea of bamboo shades in both rooms with additional drapery panels for the living room. I would suggest, inside mount shades with one drapery rod mounted wide, so the drape hangs almost completely off the window. Mount the rod halfway between the top of the window and the crown molding. I suggest just 2 drapery panels not three. Make sure the panels have plenty of width (fullness) so they don't look skimpy.
    ...See More

need help with lighting up the living room ceiling 16ft ceiling height

Q

Comments (2)
    Hello Richard! West Ninth Vintage creates industrial light fixtures. I suggest checking out our [Chandeliers[(https://www.houzz.com/products/chandeliers-prbr1-br~t_607~a_10-17998123). We offer a variety of different fixture styles. Feel Free to browse our ideabooks to get inspiration! Let us know how we could help you at all!
    ...See More

12 ft. ceilings with combined living and dining room, no ceiling light

Q

Comments (1)
    Do you have J boxes in the ceiling? What exactly are you asking?
    ...See More

Living room ceiling fan (18' ceiling)

Q

Comments (13)
    Then I would suggest looking at interesting fans! Not going to come across the way I mean it but There are so many great looking fans that are interesting and functional. The big ass fan will "over power" the room I think in general that is the feeling. I do agree that bigger is better but not industrial lol. I also thnk you need to consider that the fan that is in there now is white and in a sad state so if it where to be darker it would be more impressive/noticeable just in that change Here is my poor attempt at a mock-up.
    ...See More
  • mark1993
    6 years ago

So using this model, the width of the room should be 16.1 feet?

Chad Brown thanked mark1993
  • tedbixby
    6 years ago

Why did you change it?

• Chad Brown
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The current living room dimensions are 22' x 24'. We are using an architect. I just wanted to get opinions before I make the final decision. Thank you all for your help!

• Chad Brown
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I changed it because I thought the space looked too open and tall for the room when viewing in VR. I've also noticed in several newer homes that are being built in my area that the ceilings have been lowered and not many are doing 2 story great room ceilings.

• Chad Brown
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You nailed it...thats what I was thinking. I just don't want to build the house and then be told that I should have gone with really high ceilings.

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

Are those newer homes of the French Country Style as yours or are they more contemporary? I think you have to take into consideration the style of your home when making that decision and not base it on the neighbors. If I go into a French Country home I expect to see a vaulted ceiling. And quite frankly, a 7,000 sq ft house I kind of expect to see that grandness. Now that said, I've lived in houses with ceilings up to 24' and am currently in a house with a 9' ceiling. What I love about the 9' is that my energy bills are much lower and the house stays warmer or cooler better. But I also have tall windows across the whole back side of the house which really helps with that open feel that you usually get with a taller ceiling.

Chad Brown thanked tedbixby
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

Yes make sure you use tall windows

Chad Brown thanked cpartist
  • Chad Brown
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There really isn't a true style to the homes in the area I've looked at. Mine isn't completely French country either. It's just the closest style to categorize it in. The back side of the house faces a lake and the entire back wall will be windows. My goal is to have openness. I hope to achieve that mainly by having the kitchen and living separated by two islands and not much else. I want to walk into the space and it feel very open with lots of space. I just want to make sure that can be achieved with 10' ceilings and 8ft doorways.

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

Can you perhaps go with something between the 2 story and the 10'? I just don't think you are going to be happy with that area being 10' especially when all the other "basic" rooms are the same height as your 1st impression room.

• B Carey
    6 years ago

Without going into similar sized rooms with 10 foot and 2 story, it is hard saying what you would dislike. To me, a French country home is more grand, so I would be feel a little let down if I visited and your ceilings were a regular 10 foot height (seems to be the new norm for the main floor on 5,000+ homes). My home build will be 4,200 finished. Living is only 17*19. We are doing a vault starting at 10 feet. Then adding rustic beams. If I did not want the beams, I would probably be doing a slightly larger 2 story room. Do you prefer the 2 story look to a vault? A vault would be less overall height.

Keep in mind the VR can’t quite convey bring in the space. I assume you have liked finished photos of 2 story rooms? You are likely just nervous that you won’t like it when done. I have even questioned doing a flat 10 foot ceiling. I think it is normal to wonder if it will be “too much”. Like tedbixby, I think something grander is expected with what you are building.

Chad Brown thanked B Carey
  • PRO
    Columbus Custom Design
    6 years ago

Hi Chad,

Congratulations on your future home !

Some of the most interesting homes I've owned have had a variety of ceiling heights. One had a vaulted ceiling in the master, 9 foot ceilings in the majority of the rooms, and a 12 foot high ceiling in the great room. Another had 9 foot ceilings in most of the rooms and a two story great room and foyer.

Heating and cooling bills were definitely higher but not as high as one would assume. Yes the taller ceilings aren't as comfy cozy as lower ceilings, but you'll have other rooms for that. Both of those homes had smaller den / sitting / tv rooms.

Chad Brown thanked Columbus Custom Design
  • hummingalong2
    6 years ago
    I would consider 12' you can always add a coffered ceiling or beams.
    Chad Brown thanked hummingalong2
  • PRO
    Summit Studio Architects
    6 years ago

The height should feel proportional, comfortable and gracious. Too tall is just as bad as too low. Your windows should be tall enough to bring the outside into the room. Assuming the room will have patio door a 10' ceiling will allow 8' doors with a 12" high transom. A taller ceiling will allow a more gracious transom. Your architect should be able to walk you through the implications of the ceiling height.

Chad Brown thanked Summit Studio Architects
  • PRO
    Lane Williams Architects
    6 years ago

A 10' ceiling in a 22 x 24 foot living room would feel just fine for many of my clients, but much depends on whether you seek an open and airy environment or one that feels more protected and intimate.

Chad Brown thanked Lane Williams Architects
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Of more concern is how you plan to treat the ceiling. A span of drywall in that size is not a dream space to my mind. A ten foot ceiling with wonderful wood beams , in combination with the right windows? Yes.

Elevations of the room and the exploration of possibilities from your architect are the answer. Country French can feel rustic, formal.......? The architect is your ally in interpreting your dream.

Chad Brown thanked JAN MOYER
  • Pinebaron
    6 years ago

Chad, our home under construction, primarily 85% single level, almost same size/proportions as yours, has living room/kitchen/dining 56'x24' with 12' ceilings. I'm not saying you should go with 10' or 12' but I'll try to describe how we used the 12' ceiling height and hopefully you can visualize it or look at my build thread here. My initial design for the living room had 22' ceilings with a curtain wall, then dropped it to 12' when we combined living and kitchen/dining areas into a single long room with a deck on the outside, which was practical with my new design, providing even better and wider views to the rear.

The entire rear facing long wall is primarily 8' tall glass slider doors with 30" tall matching transom windows above, some 2-3" above the doors; doors and transom will appear to be seamless. Above the transom windows on the inside, attached to the ceiling, is a 12" tall soffit for hidden window treatments/blinds etc. By the way the 12' ceiling extends to the entry/hallway too; rest of the house has 9' and 10' ceilings.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I once lived in an older home in LA that had a 12 ft ceiling in the LR - one stepped down 2 low steps from the entrance hall. It also had very tall french door-type windows - 2 on the long wall, and one set on the opposite ends of the room. It worked because the room was 17x40 - a truly wonderful, grand room. It had multiple seating areas and was the more formal LR in the house. At Christmas, that tall tree in front of those front french door windows was magical! But this was NOT an open concept house. I would not have wanted this in such a house.

You are building a VERY large house. It will be "grand" whether or not that is your intention. If it is, go with that and make various spaces more or less grand, not the entire house the same.

I think 9' is the perfect ceiling height for most rooms. A single room with a very high ceiling can work, but it works best when it's a separate room.

Chad Brown thanked Anglophilia
  • Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

I've been to France...driven across it myself.. how can a 7000sqft homr be anything French unless it's some old show home. Pretty sure it looked similiar to England where I resided for a few years. Small small living quarters 7000 sqft just seems insane. Why does someone need or want a house so large? I hope this is an all cash build

• _sophiewheeler
    6 years ago

Disney French Country is more like it.

• One Devoted Dame
    6 years ago

Why does someone need or want a house so large?

I get asked the same question, but in reverse.... Why do I want a house *so small* (for the size family I have)?

My only real answer is, "Because I *want* a cute little house." They hold more curb appeal for me. I'm also insanely extroverted, so I have very little, if any, requirements for my own personal/private space. I'd feel very lonely in a too-big house, where I couldn't affectionately bump someone while passing through a hall, or where I could stumble upon a living area with only 1 or 2 people in it (we're currently a family of [almost] 8, and may possibly add another generation in the next couple of years).

Maybe the OP just wants a huge house, or maybe he's housing more than two generations of folks, or [the list goes on and on...]. :-)

To the OP -- I don't think you could go wrong with 10' or 12'. I like 10' best, and would consider ways to visually "drop" a 12' ceiling, if you went that route (architecturally appropriate ceiling treatments, paint schemes, molding/rails, etc.).

Chad Brown thanked One Devoted Dame
  • Caroline Hamilton
    6 years ago

Good grief... why does someone always have to ask the question of why so large or small? We custom built 5500 sq. ft. for two people 17 years ago. Now we are three with our 12 year old son. I love my home, its my sanctuary. We both work from home (needing home office space) and we entertain constantly. We are to the "go to" house when it comes to holidays. We don't find it too large. Our 5 year plan is to build in Florida, our semi retirement home and even there I won't go smaller than 3000 sq. ft. for the two of us. I know we will constantly have guests and I need to have space for work.

Good luck with your build Chad Brown. We did 9 foot ceilings for most of the house with four rooms: foyer, great room, master bedroom and bonus room as 2 story or vaulted rooms.

Chad Brown thanked Caroline Hamilton
  • Chad Brown
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I ask for suggestions and opinions about ceiling height and I then get questioned about why I need such a big house. Truth is it's about 1000ft smaller than originally planned. We have 3 kids and are building-in a mother-in-laws quarters for my in-laws. We also entertain quite a bit and our home is the go to for holidays and family gatherings. My wife and I also work from home periodically. I hope this makes a little more sense now. Thank you all for taking the time to comment and provide suggestions. You have been very helpful. I think we're going with 12' in the living area with 10' throughout the rest of the downstairs. Upstairs will have 9' ceilings. Once again thank you all for your comments and help. It is much appreciated.
  • tedbixby
    6 years ago

No need to justify your reason for building the size of home that you are as it is nobody's business as to how you spend your money that you worked hard for and what will work best for you and your family. Enjoy your new home.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

If spatial proportions are important (and they certainly are), beware of rules of thumb like "make all ceilings X-feet high". X-feet in a 8' X 8' space is a far, far different thing than X-feet in a 20' X 25' space.

Bob says proportions are important for happiness and well-being...listen to Bob!

Chad Brown thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

Chad the size house you build is only your business. There is no need to explain your reasons.

I think 12' in the living room and 10' everywhere else will be fine

Chad Brown thanked cpartist
  • Mrs Pete
    6 years ago

Good grief... why does someone always have to ask the question of why so large or small?

When a person is building something outside the norm -- large or small is an example -- the question of WHY naturally comes to mind.

Going through the process of explaining WHY you're making a certain choice is good. It forces you to think through your reasons (rather than just copying what other people are doing). If defending your thought processes is difficult, it's a clue that maybe you're not going in a good direction.

Chad Brown thanked Mrs Pete
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

Chad - Why are you building a house so small?

(thought I would throw that in for balance)

Chad Brown thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • Nidnay
    6 years ago

@Mrs Pete....it is the accusatory and judgmental tone that came across when this question was asked... the OP’s choice was basically judged as “insane” and it was clear that she had decided the OP was doing something wrong or foolish. Many architects here have asked other posters why they would need the square footage they are planning, but they are generally asking because of their desire to help and give informed feedback and suggestions.

Yes, it can be helpful to be asked why and can get us thinking, but I don’t believe it’s ever helpful to attack another person in this way...it generally just puts them on the defensive and only serves to cause them to recoil....so, not at all constructive.

Chad Brown thanked Nidnay
  • Nidnay
    6 years ago

@Chad Brown....I would definitely go with 12 feet. My entire first floor was designed with 10 foot ceilings, but if I had to do it over again, I would much prefer 12’ in my greatroom & kitchen area (which are one large space - approx 1000+ sq ft). The greatroom is 20x20 (so that particular room is smaller than your living room). I have floor to ceilings windows in the entire space, but to me, the 10 foot ceilings actually look low in the greatroom.

I have many vaulted ceilings on the second floor (had my architect design the ceilings to follow the actual roof lines - which I love), but in the flat ceiling areas of the second floor, they are 9’ and they feel very squatty to me. If I had to do that part over again, I would have made those ceilings 10’. Just something to think about.

These are 10’ Ceilings in a 20x20 great room. I think in a larger room (such as you’re planning), they would feel even lower.

Chad Brown thanked Nidnay
  • Chad Brown
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@nidnay Thank you for the pic. It looks beautiful! We're going to go with 12' in the great room. I do like the flow the common height ceiling creates in your house.

• worthy
    6 years ago

I was about to post pics of an 8,000 sf newly-built spec house near us with 12' first-floor ceilings. But I see now it's sold already in this down market in -24˚ C. weather. As others have noted, the key to high ceilings is proportionality and not to make them just an ocean of unadorned drywall.

I am partial to Georgian.

Attingham Hall, Shropshire, 1784.
    Library at Sledmere House, Bridlington East Yorkshire. b. 1751, rebuilt 1911.

Attingham Hall.

Baroque-style kitchen

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

Could you do a lower ceiling over the kitchen area (in place of the arch)? Then raise the ceiling in the living area. I did that in my last home…this is it. 24’ wide, the bar was 12 feet (six barstools) and two 6’ opening on either side for access to the front hallway and staircase. I was able to put a loft over the kitchen.

• _sophiewheeler
    6 years ago

This is one of the big perils of poorly done open concept. A 45’ run of uninterrupted boring drywall is what creates the feeling of the room being out of scale, or the ceiling too low when it is really not. If the 45’ run was broken up with wide cased openings for each of the 15’ wide rooms that are in it, it brings the visual scale down to human terms. 3 15’x20’ open rooms with 10’ ceilings is infinitely more livable than an uninterrupted airport runway on the ceiling complete with the pockmarks if the recessed lights go give it that glow. That’s why coffers are popular. But coffers alone are not enough to define individual spaces.

• Nidnay
    6 years ago

Completely agree with the comments regarding a long span of uninterrupted ceiling (as in my home....live and learn). Not very attractive. But, I think for a coffered ceiling (or added beams) to look their best, you need at least an 11’ ceiling height.

• worthy
    6 years ago

The most appealing homes usually have varying ceiling heights. The mass housing tracts of the 20th C. brought down prices but lost that appeal. So much so that posters here are often absolutely appalled that anyone could violate the 8' "rule"

Architectural Digest shows 19 homes with double height ceilings.

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

Those homes are yummy and guess what? No grey!!!

• Nikki N
    6 years ago

I like varying heights too. It contributes to the experience and flow when walking through - lower foyer leading up to the higher family and bringing it back down a little to cozy up the kitchen. Another thought, think about how far you want your cabinets to go in the kitchen - if to the ceiling, lower would be more efficient.

• nini804
    6 years ago

I know you didn’t ask about this, and it is a pet peeve of mine on here when people do this...but I am offering unsolicited advice re:vaulting your bedroom ceiling. Our master suite is in a section of our first floor that is basically a one-story “wing” off the back of our house. The architect had drawn the room with 10’ ceilings, like the rest of the 1st floor. My dh got the great idea to vault the ceiling all the way up and add beams. I’d like to blame him, lol, but I eagerly agreed. Our builder said it’d be no problem (just extra $$, natch.) He likes building showy spaces, looks good in his portfolio. :)

Our room is lovely to look at; with those beams, lots of windows and hardwood floors. It is also the most echo-y, non-cozy, non-bedroom feeling place in the house! The first couple of weeks we lived in the house, if my dh coughed in his sleep...the noise was so loud it bolted me awake! I thought someone was breaking in! I have tried to soften the room with a rug, lots of textiles, upholstered chairs...but it just doesn’t have a good scale for sleeping. Just wanted to share, of course YMMV. Good luck with your build...it sounds lovely!!

Chad Brown thanked nini804
  • Love stone homes
    6 years ago

Totally agree with varying ceiling heights. In our new build, the house will have 9’ ceilings throughout, but 11’ in great room (open concept )

• Love stone homes
    6 years ago

@niday, (sorry to Hijack this thread.) However, I love your fireplace and your great room is approximately the same size as the one in my soon to be built home. Can you tell me the make or where you got it, as well as the stone. You can message me privately, if you prefer. Thank you.

• wishiwereintheup
    6 years ago

I have to second P G. @niday - the fireplace looks awesome. More info & photos appreciated.

• B Sharpe
    6 years ago

I agree with @nini804. Our last house was 21 ft. at the highest in a 29x22 space. I tried everything to make it feel welcoming, warm and cozy. We have just began the discussion phase of our next build and we will stay with 9 and 10 feet ceilings.

• Nidnay
    6 years ago

P G & wishiwereintheup......here’s a link to my build. The pic I posted in this thread has been posted there as well (12th photo). Someone else asked about the fireplace insert and I posted info about it there (click on “learn more” to see the discussion). So as not to take over this thread, you can ask me questions there.

P G....I don’t know how you plan to design your room (windows, walls, openings), but because my fireplace is on an inside wall and the space is enclosed on three sides, the 20x20 room (which sounds nice and spacious) really becomes 20x17/16 and it’s not nearly as roomy as I’d like. You lose a lot of floor space with the fireplace on an inside wall. 20x20 on blueprints can sometimes be misleading because the measurement is from wall to wall and not actual floor space. I knew this, but somehow missed it in this room. For floating furniture, it’s just not enough room for what I was trying to accomplish. I would have made it a lot larger had it dawned on me. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

• HU-238195723
    last year

Is a 16x26 living room to small for 10’ ceilings?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

No, it isn't, windows depending and a lot else depending.. But I'd recommend you begin your own thread about YOUR, living room, your build and with the entire plan whether reno, or new build