SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ag_sg

Paint brown doors to white/off white colour

ag_sg
6 years ago

Hello all,

Our original doors and door frames are all brown colour. Before starting renovation work we had told our contractor that we need all doors and skirting colour to be changed to off white. Now he is saying cannot change dark brown to white. He is saying " only way is to put a white oil paint coat on the brown doors and that will coating look very thick and the doors will look ugly". He is saying can change white doors to brown BUT cannot change brown doors to white. ( Now He is charging $2000 for staining and varnishing brown doors to walnut colour - 8 doors and house skirting). We wanted cream colour doors and skirting.

Please please help.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    6 years ago

Are they a stained brown door or a painted brown? Either way you should be able to paint them white... unless maybe it is fiberglass and he doesn't know how to make the paint stick.

In that case hire someone else to do it.

ag_sg thanked Sativa McGee Designs
  • apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Situations like this usually need more background- what is going on? What is in your written contract? Was there a change order you signed?

How old are the existing doors? Are they elaborate or simple?

ag_sg thanked apple_pie_order
  • Related Discussions

Oyster White vs Lennon vs Fantasy Brown granite for Off-White Kitchen

Q

Comments (14)
    Thank you very much for the advice. I like Fantasy Brown a lot. I am not sure if it would work in my counter with the seam at the corner. It seems like pieces of Oyster White or Lennon are easier to join together discretely. Also, with the small appliances on the counter - microwave, toaster, coffee maker and kettle - I am not sure how much granite flow I will be able to see at a time. Is Oyster White look too simple in your opinion? What backsplash do you suggest to make it more visually interesting? What color of the floor tile is the best? My kitchen opens to the hallway/living room with red oak floor. I prefer not to have hardwood in the kitchen.
    ...See More

What color trim for off white siding and bright white windows?

Q

Comments (4)
    What a charming house?? I like the gold very much but understand if you want a change. I would keep the white trim, paint the body of the house the current door/shutter color, and have fun with the door color. The first thing that comes to mind would be fuchsia!
    ...See More

Help with using Elmira White and off white paint colors

Q

Comments (1)
    Any comments or ideas?
    ...See More

Kitchen Cabinet White / Off white Paint Color Recommendations!

Q

Comments (6)
    If this were my space i'd spend to fix the microwave situation. the walls are the problem as they have a yellow undertone. I dont see the problem w cabs and counter at all. Paint the walls the aesthetic white shown above. or a neutral bone or ivory or a white w more green undertone. stay away from yellow anything due to the true tan/brown of counter/floor.....Then I'd probably swap the glass in the vertical cabs for a smokey/frosted glass. I dont find the clear glass in that situation a plus at all. I dont see any yellow issue w cabinets from these pics........lighting assessment and a neutral wall color will address what you think is a yellow cast to cabs.....but probably is not. Money saved. Fix the corner w microwave.
    ...See More
  • ag_sg
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Sativa McGee Designs.... thanks for replying. As far as I understand, the doors are painted brown and not stained (pls see attached photos). Mostly doors are plain, only living room door is elaborate. have about 10 doors. My ID says can put white oil paint on the brown door, BUT....that will look very ugly (as oil paint is a thick coating). My ID says making these doors walnut brown will be better, making them off white colour will be ugly. My question is:-

1. Is it possible to make the doors off white ???

2. what is the process to make brown doors off white

3. approximate cost

4. if I paint white oil paint on the brown door will it look ugly ???

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    6 years ago

Maybe there is something you see in person that i am not seeing in these photos...but you should be able to give all the door/trim a really good clean, fill in any dents/cracks with wood filler, then go through and sand everything down to rough up the whole surface before painting.

Oil based paint is the most common, I don't see why it would be a problem. Maybe spend a little more for thicker or self leveling paint. I have also had some customers use industrial paint for these purposes because it is more durable and adheres to smooth surfaces better.

• Rina
    6 years ago

Look, I am no expert, but I've seen a bit now and then. Methinketh your expert talketh creep. Get other opinions from local paint suppliers, etc. More than one, as obviously they also want to sell paint.

PS: every heard of paint stripper? Sandpaper?

ag_sg thanked Rina
  • PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    6 years ago

You could also look at donating the doors and buying new ones: Home depot interior doors normally sell for about $200 each. You could then only pay someone to repaint the trim molding.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

He is an idiot get a new painter . This is done all the time and there is no reason to have thick coats of paint and IMO no oil paint anymore with all the stink for weeks . This is a matter of sanding filling any imperfections and priming and painting waht is the problem besdies he is too lazy or this was not factored into the original contract.

ag_sg thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • suedonim75
    6 years ago

I'd find a new painter, and I'd make sure to tell him that you won't be using him because he's a liar.

ag_sg thanked suedonim75
  • PRO
    Verona Home Design
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hello, coming from a door company here I'm sorry but your contractor does not know what he is talking about. You can repaint these doors white no problem! Below is our instructions for painting exterior doors. Honestly if I were you, I would paint all the doors myself, it's not hard and will save you the money.

Paint Instructions - Smooth Fiberglass and Steel Doors

Supplies Required:

• High Quality, Exterior Grade Acrylic Latex Paint - Approx. 1 Quart
    • High Quality, Synthetic Bristle Paint Brush
    • Painter’s Tape
    • #400 Grit Sandpaper or green ScPad
    • Cotton Cloths
    • Mineral Spirits
    • Elastomeric or Polyurethane Caulk (To ensure that the door unit is properly caulked and all fastener holes are filled.)

Step #1

Remove or mask off all hardware and weatherstrip prior to painting. The weatherstrip is a friction fit and can be removed by carefully pulling the weatherstrip out of the kerf in the frame.

Note: The door can be removed or left in the frame for final finishing.

Note: Never paint the weatherstrip, the cornerseals or any other vinyl sealing components.

Step #2

Lightly scuff sand the door with #400 grit sandpaper or a green Scotchbrite pad.

Step #3

Wipe the door with a clean cotton cloth dampened with mineral spirits. Allow the door to dry completely.

Step #4

Wipe the primed frame and brickmould with a clean cotton cloth dampened with mineral spirits to remove any dirt or oils deposited during installation. Allow the frame and components to completely dry before proceeding.

Step #5

Apply a quality exterior acrylic latex paint according to manufactures instructions.

Note: Make sure all six sides – front, back, edges, top and bottom – receive the same uniform coverage.

Step #6

Allow the paint to dry completely before unmasking and installing the hardware and weatherstrip.

ag_sg thanked Verona Home Design
  • PRO
    Verona Home Design
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Here is our instructions for paint interior doors as well to help you out, good luck, and seriously get a new contractor ;)

Interior Door Care & Finishing

Proper care and finishing is very important to gain the maximum benefits from your interior doors. When finished properly your new doors should exceed your aesthetic and operational expectations. Below are a few key points everyone should know when it comes to the care and finishing of interior doors.

Initial Care

• Interior Doors need to be acclimated to the environment where they will be installed. This process normally takes two days.
    • Doors stored for more than a few days should have the top and bottom rails sealed with a prestain wood conditioner.
    • Single (not pre-hung doors) should be laid flat on a dry, clean surface.
    • Do not subject them to extreme or rapid changes in humidity or heat.
    • Avoid finishing in hight humidty conditions.

Finishing

• No finishing process exists today that totally eliminates the transmission of water vapor or moisture into and out of wood doors. The key to proper finishing is to slow down the transmission process so the door performs within tolerances.
    • All doors have six sides--not two, not four, but six--front, back, two edges, plus the most ignored and most vulnerable, the top and bottom. Failure to finish all six surfaces uniformly is the number one cause of door failures.
    • Sanding is critical--the first rule to remember is the importance of field sanding all wood door products. Every wood door, regardless of manufacturer or style, requires some surface preparation before finishing. The key component of this surface preparation is thorough sanding to remove naturally occurring surface blemishes, handling marks, dirt, etc. Each basic type of wood door requires a slightly different procedure. The following are sanding instructions from our key suppliers:

Molded Doors
    Before finishing, lightly sand a primed molded door with 220-grit sandpaper. Blow off all dust, sand lightly between finish coats with 320-grit sandpaper. Remove sanding dust with tack cloth before applying your finish.

Wood Flush Doors
    Lightly sand the face of the door just enough to remove handling marks using 100-grit sandpaper. Avoid spot sanding and using too fine of sandpaper. This can close the grain and cause staining problems such as light spots. Note the veneer is approximately 1/100 of an inch thick on a 4-ply skin. DO NOT OVER SAND. Remove sanding dust with tack cloth before applying your finish.

Wood Panel Doors
    Before finishing, sand the entire door thoroughly with 150 or 180-grit sandpaper. This will remove handling marks, surface blemishes, cross grain scratches, drag marks, surface oil and dirt, thus allowing a more consistent finish. When sanding, always follow the direction of the grain to avoid cross-grain scratches. Remove sanding dust with tack cloth before applying your finish.

How to Paint an Interior Door

Supplies Required:

• High Quality Primer - Approx. 1 Quart (For wood doors - oil based primer only,
    • for molded and MDF doors - latex primer is OK.)
    • High Quality Paint - Approx. 1 Quart (For wood doors - oil based paint only, for molded and MDF doors - latex paint is OK.)
    • High Quality, Synthetic Bristle Paint Brush
    • Painter's Tape
    • Sandpaper (Molded Doors 220 & 320 Grit, Wood Flush Doors 100 Grit,
    • Wood Panel Doors 150 or 180 Grit)
    • Cotton Cloth
    • Elastomeric or Polyurethane Caulk (To ensure that the door unit is properly caulked and all fastener holes are filled.)

Step #1
    Ensure the door unit is properly caulked per installation instructions. If necessary, set and fill all fastener holes. Ensure all caulking is fully cured before proceeding to the next step.

Step #2
    Remove or mask off all hardware prior to painting.

Step #3
    Lightly scuff sand the door and jamb per above sanding instructions.

Step #4
    Wipe the door with a clean cotton cloth.

Step #5
    Apply a quality primer according to manufacture's instructions.
    Note: Make sure all six sides - front, back, edges, top and bottom - receive the same uniform coverage.

Step #6
    Apply 2 coats of a quality paint according to manufacture's instructions. For wood and molded panel doors, always follow the grain of the door. Paint the panels first then the stiles and rails. Allow the door to dry completely between coats
    Note: Make sure all six sides - front, back, edges, top and bottom - receive the same uniform coverage.

Step #7
    Allow the paint to dry completely before unmasking and installing hardware.

How to Stain Our Interior Door

Supplies Required:

• High Quality Oil Based Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner
    • High Quality Oil Based Stain* - Approx. 1 Quart
    • High Quality Oil Based Polyurethane* - Approx. 1 Quart
    • (Oil based products are recommended for interior wood veneered doors. Water based products can raise the grain and cause multiple moisture related problems.)
    • White China Bristle Paint Brush
    • Painter's Tape
    • Sandpaper (Molded Doors 220 & 320 Grit, Wood Flush Doors 100 Grit,
    • Wood Panel Doors 150 or 180 Grit)
    • Cotton Cloth
    • Tack Cloth

*You may substitute an Oil Based Stain/Clear Top Coat 1 Step Product for the Stain and Polyurethane.

Step #1
    Ensure the door unit is properly caulked per installation instructions. If necessary, set and fill all fastener holes. Ensure all caulking is fully cured before proceeding to the next step.

Step #2
    Remove or mask off all hardware prior to staining.

Step #3
    Lightly scuff sand (220 Grit Sandpaper) the door and jamb per above sanding instructions.

Step #4
    Wipe the door with a clean cotton cloth.

Step #5
    Apply an oil based pre-stain wood conditioner to promote uniform stain coverage and minimize sharp color contrasts that can occur in wood veneer doors. Allow to dry per manufacture's instructions.

Step #6
    Apply oil based stain and allow to dry per manufacture's instructions.

Step #7
    Apply polyurethane top coat and allow to dry per manufacture's instructions.

Step #8
    Lightly sand (320 Grit Sandpaper) and wipe clean with tack cloth per manufacture's instructions before applying second coat.

Step #9
    Apply second coat of polyurethane and allow to dry per manufacture's instructions.

Step #10
    Allow the polyurethane to dry completely before unmasking and installing hardware.

ag_sg thanked Verona Home Design
  • ag_sg
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Dear Verona Home Design, thank u for the valuable comment. Please can u advise how much would u charge to paint the doors ? do u also change the locks on doors ? Please reply.

• ag_sg
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Please can u all recommend a good and reasonable door painter who can follow all the necessary steps (filling craks, sanding , prep, priming , sanding again, then two to three coats of paint etc) to make our brown doors white ???

Many thanks.

• PRO
    Verona Home Design
    6 years ago

I'm sorry but we do not paint others doors, nor do we install locks on them, we only sell our own doors, and sell them pre-painted if desired as well. I wish I could recommend a good door painter for you but unfortunately I do not know of any. Maybe once you find a few ask them what steps they plan on using the repaint your doors and if they sound along the lines of what I sent you, they should be good. I would just at least go with someone other than this person telling you they can only do it with a thick coat of oil paint. As you can see from our instructions oil based paint is not what you use, and painting from brown to white is not impossible like he is making it seem. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck with your doors!!