SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
txrawhyde

Master Bedroom - About to give up....

Texas Rawhyde
3 years ago

After 25 years of marriage, 2 kids and 15 years in the same house putting everything in front of what we wanted, I thought I would surprise my wife with a bedroom make-over to create a romantic escape.

I retained the services of an interior decorator, met several time and we were moving towards a (modern) British-West Indies look when I told my wife about the plans (which was a good and bad move). She LOVED the idea of a romantic MB make over (and definitely deserves it), but wanted to go with a very light grey wall and not do so much yellow and beige anymore... West Indies look scratched, we discussed the new direction with the decorator and purchased new bedroom furniture based on the new idea of grey walls and expected to move forward from there. That's when it took a crazy turn, the designer got frustrated since the original "clear vision" for a West Indies look was gone and stopped returning our calls even though I had been paying her for the consultations all along.

All that being said, now I am gun shy to hire someone else, beyond frustrated at the status of the room and feel horrible for what I have started and not been able to finish for my wife because I know it would mean so much to her.

Every night when we go to bed it is a reminder that we have spent a lot of money and have gotten nowhere. I know she is very disappointed, but she is definitely not a decorator and without direction we have been like this for 6 months now and it is depressing. We have light grey walls, bright white trim and crown molding, with light beige carpet(at some point we would like to change out for hardwood engineered wood. Attached are images of the bedroom and furniture. Please help... this is something I so desperately want to do for my wife, but I have run out of ideas.

Thanks to everyone in advance,

Tx

Comments (49)

• bossyvossy
    3 years ago

I’m so sorry this happened to you, but home decor, in particular the master bedroom, where you are king and the Mrs is QUEEN, must have 100% input from her. It seems from what you posted that she has a vision, so maybe let her find the decorator, if she even wants/needs one. The very fact that you’ve allocated a budget for this project makes it a very special surprise. Her hunting for just the right elements, is the cherry on top.

Texas Rawhyde thanked bossyvossy
  • suezbell
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Talk with your wife about the budget you have in mind to spend in the future -- it matters a great deal when it comes to keeping harmony. Let her know she can spend it on the room itself or the furnishings -- HER choice.

(Personally expecting she'll mostly leave the room as except for painting the walls her favorite (likely pastel and/or neutral) colors and, perhaps, changing out the overhead light -- perhaps a ceiling fan in the BWI décor y'all like ... but then, I expect will spend the rest of the budget purchasing matching his/hers chests of drawers and/or end tables that go well with your bed and meet your needs along with some new bedding -- including a new comforter/spread that makes her smile just to look at it ... which will make you smile as well).

Consider the money wasted on a designer that wanted to foist her own preferences on you a (costly) lesson learned and forget about it. You'll enjoy the room your wife creates much more when you can do that.

Texas Rawhyde thanked suezbell
  • Related Discussions

? about matching master bedroom with master bath

Q

Comments (10)
    My master bath has brown cabinets and the window and crown molding are done in brown wood...my master bedroom has brown crown molding and brown accents. There is a common thread so the two rooms flow. But they are not the same color, not a lighter tone of the other...nope, two different colors, different styles, definately different linens (I only believe in white for towels because I believe God invented bleach for a reason). My hardware in the master bath and master closet are in similar gold tones. And the lighting between the three rooms is all antique, most are exposed bulb fixtures from the early teens but in different colors. So there's another little carry through. I think my three rooms, which are all different colors with different linens flow because I've kept a few key features similar, though not exactly the same. In the bath, brown is the main color, in the bedroom it's an accent and in the closet it becomes the main again. The walls of the master suite are bronze (literally metalic bronze tone) but the master bath is done in a marble like finish of cream and tan. The closet is gold. All different textures, but they still flow well and give me flexibility to do different things in the master bedroom if I want to. This is the view from the bath to the bedroom: And from the bedroom to the bath: And I do require the cat sit on the counter in the bath at all times because he matches the wall in the bedroom....
    ...See More

Upstairs kids bedroom over master bedroom...big mistake?

Q

Comments (13)
    When we build, there won't be any rooms above our Master Bedroom. At the moment, my almost 13-year-old son and 3-year-old's room is over our Master Bedroom. My 8- and 10-year old's room is above the living room. Their bathroom is between their two rooms. When sleeping in, I can hear every single movement that my 13-year-old and 3-year do. There was carpet in the room which helps with the noise, but I hate carpet and put in wood flooring. If he drops something, I hear it. When he goes to the bathroom, I hear it. When all 4 of them are in one room, I can hear them. Just as this, I can hear every movement in my other boys' room when in the living room. They are very rambunctious and like to jump around. Another problem I have is that the pipe from their toilet/tub goes down the wall which is located between our living and kitchen/dining room. When they flush the toilet or let out their bath water, the pipe rattles in that wall. I know every time they use the bathroom and so do my guests. Most times it is rather embarrassing.
    ...See More

Need Help with Master Bedroom Bathroom/Bedroom Layout - 1970s house

Q

Comments (5)
    I like my first idea best as far as use of space. I know people say not to put toilets on an outside wall. We had one in our last house in Iowa, but we had 2X6 construction. I don't know how high your window is, but I'm guessing the toilet would fit under there. The shower would be 5 feet long or shorter if you want a wider space to get to the toilet. (kind of tight the way I have drawn). You could do a 5 and half foot long shower and do an angled door at the left end to allow room between the shower and toilet. The vanity would be about 7 feet long, unless you do a 60 inch vanity with a linen cabinet at the door. I would reverse entry door swing if you do that.. The second top right could work and you would still have a small closet. The bottom left plan would require waterproofing your front window. Hopefully someone will give you other ideas. The bottom right plan is bigger, but no closet. Each square equals 1 foot.
    ...See More

Bedroom set up Will two queen size beds fit in a 12 by 11 bedroom

Q

Comments (6)
    Queen beds are 60x80 inches . Do the Math. Technically speaking, they "will fit". There will be very little room to move about the room and no other furniture would fit in the room. Seriously, unless you're running a brothel, why would you do this? If you had to, then consider https://m.colemanfurniture.com/lake-house-stone-full-loft-bed-with-full-lower-bed.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwm6HaBRCbARIsAFDNK-jYlciAmgQCi8aSCTPPfjKnCmi_Rr_Qt5aRr9v7WxHCXn8POCKFSHQaAh3dEALw_wcB
    ...See More
  • Judy wear
    3 years ago
    Do a search on Houzz for Master bedroom decor. Start a file on looks your wife and you like. You can also take screen shots of modern master bedrooms that catches your wife’s eye. Attach it from photo library on bottom of page that shows the camera icon & photo. Many Houzzers/decorators will weigh in and give you decorating tips, ideas, photos, etc. Do not give up as there are saints on this app., that will share their expertise. They will need dimensions and any information you can share with them. If you need additional information, people will walk you through the steps. That is such a kind gift you wanted to present to your wife.
    Texas Rawhyde thanked Judy wear
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    3 years ago

I would think that a competent decorator would be flexible enough to change direction if necessary and present your wife with choices that she would like. Finding out what a client wants should be part of a decorator's skill set, as should be the ability to provide it. Judy wear's suggestions sound very helpful and doable. If your wife has the opportunity to view hundreds of options, she should be able to home in on a style she would like. You have a very nice bedroom and it shouldn't be that difficult to make it a fabulous one.

Texas Rawhyde thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Denise Marchand
    3 years ago

I commend you for your effort to do something beautiful for you and your wife. I feel bad that the designer bailed out, but knowing that, do you even want that designer anyway? Maybe it was a blessing in the long run.

"Judy wear" gave good advice, so here is what you should do to get stellar help here on houzz:

1) Measure your room to include the entire suite. You probably have this already, so post it here. It is difficult to tell the scale of the room with only pics.

2) Make a Wish List. Is there anything in this room that you would like in particular?

3) Besides the soft grey walls, are there any colors you like or dislike?

4) Go through the Master Bedrooms here on houzz and save the ones you love. You will soon see there is a particular style you like and we can go from there.

I would love to help. Your home looks beautiful, it just needs a few tweeks.

Texas Rawhyde thanked Denise Marchand
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Let that decorator go she obviously wants total control and that is usaully a little easier with guys to be honest. As for the bedroom I would staryt with some fabulous bedding that your wife chooses and then work from there , some beautiful faux silk drapes very full on those awesome windows .I happen to love gray bedrooms I find then restful and they can be really beautiful. These are a couple to get your design genes working.

Texas Rawhyde thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

As for me the British colonial style it is a Tommy Bahama style. It is colonial shutters or bamboo shades, palms, tropical plants.

Here is my 5 cents in this style

To be continued...

Texas Rawhyde thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    3 years ago

Tex, you write, "I know she is very disappointed, but she is definitely not a decorator and without direction we have been like this for 6 months now and it is depressing."

I'm confused -- you just painted the walls the color your wife wants, light grey. And bought new bedroom furniture to go with the new paint color. So what else do your wife and you want to do in the room? Curtains? Art? I'm sure the members here can help you with this, but you have to give us some more direction and tell us what else you want and need for the room. At the very least I'd consider an area rug over the beige carpeting to help "marry" the walls to the floor.

Does your wife some inspiration pictures of other bedrooms, either from magazines or online (Pinterest, Houzz)? That might help, too.

Texas Rawhyde thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • aibdesigns
    3 years ago

Patricia, you chose my favorite, Michael Abrams Design, he does some stunning work, I love the bedroom pictured and would definitely model after that.

• Yayagal
    3 years ago

Yes to Houzz site and type in…master bedroom with gray walls, dark wood furniture. You will get so many ideas and we can help too if you tell us your wife's favorite colors and then we can help out, I've seen many a room turn in to a masterpiece with the help of the people on this forum.

Texas Rawhyde thanked Yayagal
  • PRO
    3 years ago

I got some accent table in rattan style

with colonial curtains

• PRO
  • Yayagal
    3 years ago

She said she wanted romantic.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhh boy! I go with tropical

Romantic for me is sheer canopy :-))

3 years ago

A few questions, Tex:

1) Does your wife like the grey walls and new furniture? Do you plan to keep the new paint color and new furniture?

2) What does you and your wife mean by "romantic MB make over"? How does she define "romantic" as well as "romantic MB"? It would probably help a good deal to know/understand this.

• misforminkGW
    3 years ago

We can help guide if you can provide us with a little more info. as was mentioned already above. If your wife hasn't found any inspiration photos that really speak to her that would be a good place to start.

Texas Rawhyde thanked misforminkGW
  • jansgirl
    3 years ago

Don't lose heart-you have a good beginning here. Use Houzz!! You will end up w/ a gorgeous room. Get your wife on here and ask for suggestions on whatever is next in this room....I'd go w/ new bedding first and build around that.

• Texas Rawhyde
    Original Author
    3 years ago

First let me say "Thank you" to everyone. I am AMAZED at the overwhelming response, advice and assistance. This forum and the people in it have reinvigorated me on this project and given me an unbelievable amount of hope that I can make this happen for her.

I know there have been a couple of questions raised so wanted to clarify along with the requested room dimensions (see my homemade room layout/pic).

Let me also say, I don't "blame" the decorator for not following through or dropping the ball, I think she just lost vision when my wife (and I)threw a wrench into the monkey works and had no idea where to go from here. She has assisted us in the past, but if there is one thing I have learned from all this and looking back, she decorates more on what she likes and less on what we do and usually persuades us to think her way. This time it was the downfall to the project.

Some additional insight that I am working with from my wife...

My wife loved the bedroom suit that you see in the pics which is why we have it and she wanted to build around that. The wood is somewhat dark, but has a slight green hue to it (tried to capture in attached close up).

She is not against beige in the room, but in the past yellow and beige were dominating colors and she doesn't want that. She has only asked that I don't go all grey.

Drapes - looking for light and airy for framing and shades (not blinds) for the windows.

Bedside tables - she would like some storage, but we also realize one side table may need to be bigger that the other due to room on each side of the bed. Do I go dark wood, black, mahogany...?

Possible big (full length or over-sized) mirror on a wall if it makes since to.

Bay window - we have had 2 chairs there in the past, ok with going back to that, but open to a bench or anything else... just not built-ins... wife is not a fan.

Update - Bought some flowers (good call Lydia) and sat down to show her some preliminary pics that you guys shared and she (seriously) teared up!!! So we (actually y'all - I am from Texas) are on the right path. She really liked the first image from Celerygirl with simple white drapes. She said she feels like I have it under control with "my new friends" and said she trusts me to "make it happen"! YEP, that just happened!

Measured for the windows and it looks like 110" would be the right height, but I am not seeing them in that length. So does that mean I will need to have them custom made?

Holy cow you guys have me excited about this.... THANK YOU again!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

This is like reading a good novel. Seems like you have plenty of help, but I'll keep checking in just in case. Good luck. I think there is a great outcome in your future! Well done!

Texas Rawhyde thanked Flo Mangan
  • lynartist
    3 years ago
    Texas rawhide, what a nice thing to do for your wife! I would definitely think about doing custom on the window panels. They will look beautiful, you will have your choice of fabric, the fit will be perfect and you will enjoy them for a long time! I think you are off to a good start with the bed too. You do need some luxurious bed linens though. It’s hard to tell on my phone screen but the wall color and carpet color don’t seem to really complement one another very well. It may be fine in person; photos can be deceiving!
    Texas Rawhyde thanked lynartist
    3 years ago

Tex, if 108" can work for the curtains, that's a standard size. Don't forget that you have the rod, but also the rings and then the hooks or clips, which adds a bit to the length of the curtains.

West Elm has sheer linen curtains in 108" length, some of the colors include white, ivory, and natural. The white ones are $79 for each panel ($158 per pair),

https://www.westelm.com/products/sheer-belgian-flax-linen-curtain-white-t3666/?pkey=cbelgian-linen-curtains

I would use one long black iron curtain rod across all of the windows. See what you can find near you, or you can shop online, even at Etsy.

For shades, bamboo matchstick blinds look fabulous (as in celerygirl's first picture) and are fairly inexpensive.

She is not against beige in the room, but in the past yellow and beige were dominating colors and she doesn't want that. She has only asked that I don't go all grey.

What other colors does she like? I'm thinking that with gray walls, white linen curtains, dark/slightly greenish bedroom furniture, that maybe a co-ordinating green would work. Does she like green?

Bedside tables - she would like some storage, but we also realize one side table may need to be bigger that the other due to room on each side of the bed. Do I go dark wood, black, mahogany...?

I wouldn't go too dark. Here's one from West Elm, it's $399 at the moment but if you like it I'd sign up for sale notifications. It's pretty and has good storage,

Alternately, here's a smaller gray night stand for the tight side of the bed,

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/three-posts-canterbury-end-table-thre1965.html?piid%5B0%5D=24144963&piid[0]=14940712&piid=14940715#readmoremodal1

And a larger gray one for the other side,

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/darby-home-co-isabella-2-drawer-nightstand-dbhc9969.html?piid%5B0%5D=17719658&piid=17719658

Another option for a smaller night stand is a garden stool, like this.

A possibility for bedside lamps, from Wayfair,

One thing to keep in mind -- measure from the floor to the top of the mattress, and then measure any night tables you buy to make sure that they're a similar height. And then sit in bed as you would for reading, and make sure that whatever lamps you buy are the right height for reading. Keep your measuring tape near the bed : ) .

And until you can change the beige wall to wall, you might want to consider layering a jute rug on top. This one from West Elm is 9' x 12' in platinum silver and on sale,

https://www.westelm.com/products/solid-metallic-jute-rug-platinum-silver-t2563/

• lynartist
    3 years ago
    I’m not suggesting you repaint the walls. You might want to consider adding some warm tones into the mix to marry the gray and the beige of the carpet. Here are a couple inspiration picks were they have done this. You could do ready mades in the drapes but if you are not good at this sort of thing it’s best to let a pro handle it. Because of the angles you need several rods, these can be ordered , cut to size and professionally installed. Yes it will cost more but it will look it too.
  • Elle
    3 years ago

I think you are closest to working towards a "transitional" style bedroom in a palette of neutrals, with some "art deco" accents (i.e. the door panel design of T.V. console). It is actually a good place to be starting from because that is the style of many bedrooms in luxury hotels. If you Google "luxury hotel bedrooms", you will find some inspiration photos. While none of the colors will make an impact individually, they will in combination and, with the addition of things like textures for warmth and reflective surfaces for sparkle, the room can have a sophisticated and relaxing vibe.

Texas Rawhyde thanked Elle
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Don't know if you have an Ethan Allen where you live, but they offer free design services if you're buying their furniture....

• PRO
    Lydia Derhake, LLC
    3 years ago

Becky is right, you could use 108" curtains. You want them to just brush the floor in most cases. If you were going for a super-luxurious look, I'd say get 120" and let them pile on the floor, but that doesn't seem to be the style you're going for.

I'm so glad the flowers were a good call, and I'm so happy you and your wife are excited again.

Here are some links to curtains (light and airy) and I recommend either roller shades (blackout shades are great for sleeping well) or white wood or faux-wood blinds. They're going to look more elegant than metal blinds. You can have wooden blinds custom-cut at Home Depot for no extra charge. Make sure you're measuring the inside of the window frame at 3 places - top, middle, and bottom, and give the associate the NARROWEST number. They'll cut the appropriate length so that the mounting hardware will work right.

This is my favorite, with lots of texture and a soft look.

This set has a beautiful, understated pattern.

A great budget-friendly option here.

Even though you won't be using these to block light, measure the width of the windows and make sure you have enough panels to close them if you wanted to. This can provide privacy, but will also provide a more luxurious look than one skinny panel next to each window.

• PRO
    Lydia Derhake, LLC
    3 years ago

I wanted to address bedside tables as a different reply - one thing at a time, right?

It's fine to have different bedside tables. That said, it looks like your queen-size bed (correct me if it's a king) is centered on the wall.

To create better symmetry in the room, center the bed between the dresser (if you're going to keep it there) and the edge of the curtains once they're hung. This creates a more balanced feel in the room so the furniture doesn't feel all squished together, and provides a little more space for bedside tables on that side.

As for which tables to choose, I really prefer to do my furniture shopping in person. While there are lots of pretty pieces online and they do offer item measurements on most sites, you're unlikely to find the perfect piece by looking at a picture.

Instead, set aside a day one weekend for nightstand shopping.

Some stores that cater to the British West Indies look you like include:

Bombay Company

World Market

Pier One Imports

You can also look at general furniture stores, like North Texas Furniture, Furniture Row, and Nebraska Furniture Mart.

Before you go nightstand shopping. decide how much space you have. Measure from the side of the bed to the nearest "wall", or dresser, in this case. Make sure you leave at least 18 inches between the dresser and nightstand. Measure the space left over and that's the widest nightstand you can use. You can always go smaller.

If you have your measurements, you can go see what catches your eye, make sure it will fit, and purchase it. While most places will let you return pieces, it's a lot less hassle to know the correct size up front.

Here are just a few styles that would work well in your space:

Texas Rawhyde thanked Lydia Derhake, LLC
  • PRO
    Lydia Derhake, LLC
    3 years ago

I just had a thought about the windows, too. If you aren't crazy about two chairs, consider a settee with a low table. Again, great place for coffee in the morning or relaxing. Make sure you keep the back low so it doesn't block the light.

[Jared settee[(https://www.houzz.com/products/sadie-settee-light-gray-prvw-vr~43710760)

[Charlotte Camelback Settee[(https://www.houzz.com/products/charlotte-camelback-settee-navy-blue-prvw-vr~101540560)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

While a very nice gesture, real life design is not HGTV and surprising someone with a makeover into which they had no input for a room that is highly personal was bound to be fraught with issues. I certainly don't condone how the designer bailed on you, but in her defense, she took the job based on one decision-maker, and then your wife--with totally different expectations--turned the ship completely around. The lesson learned for both designers and homeowners: key stakeholders must be a part of the process from day one and must be available for all decision-making. And if one can't or chooses not to be involved, I usually ask my clients to sign off on a waiver saying that Person #1 in this household is granted decision-making powers and check-writing/budget responsibility. Otherwise, you spend a lot of time and research efforts going down a path one person loves, and the other--who was not involved in any of the previous design discussions--ends up vetoing everything. It's not a productive way to work for anyone, paid consultations or not. At some point, if husband and wife are not in alignment on the vision, the designer can't possibly meet expectations. As I often say to my husband, "he who chooses not to be a part of the discussion doesn't get a vote." And while that wasn't exactly the situation here, the process is too expensive to not get buy-in from everyone in advance.

Texas Rawhyde thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I was going to suggest a settee in front of your windows. I think that would fit your space much better than chairs. That with some small decorative tables to set a coffee cup and or book on would be really nice.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Depending on the bedding choice and your ultimate color palette, this is a great piece and goes anywhere and is really comfy. I could imagine curling up on something like this and reading a great book.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

This is small table you can pull up to where you want it. Just an example. Lots of options out there. Any thoughts from your wife on color palette? Then, of course, you must have great lighting. A beautiful chandelier that suits the style note you have set and night stand lighting are a must.

• Texas Rawhyde
    Original Author
    3 years ago

A lot of good ideas on the drapes, so I am working on those now... I think I will go with the 108" length to make it easier. Stay tuned... I will post a couple of choices and look for feedback.

I love the idea of a settee. I was trying think of an alternative to chairs since we have had a couple of chairs in there for many years. I love the look of a low back settee. If I am wanting to stay away from bright blue, what direction should I take with color? Charcoal, dark green, other?

Also, just to clarify, the bed is a king and is centered on the wall.

As far as the bedside tables, I love the second one you posted (I re-posted it below). Where did you snag that from?

On that note, if I go with a lighter bedside table like you posted here, do I go darker or the same on the other side? it will be a small space since it will be between the dresser and bed.

Ok new topic, would a full length, large framed mirror in a dark color hung left of the tv and chest be too "hotel-ish" in it's look? If the mirror is ok and but another look, what would that be... or should I nix the idea?

• Mrs. Lindley
    3 years ago

Following

3 years ago

If I am wanting to stay away from bright blue, what direction should I take with color? Charcoal, dark green, other?

Does Miz R have any preference? Does she have a vision for the room? Has she seen any bedrooms online or in magazines as an inspiration for this project?

On that note, if I go with a lighter bedside table like you posted here, do I go darker or the same on the other side?

I would go same/similar or lighter. Definitely not darker. For the same reason, I wouldn't go with a dark brown frame for a mirror -- I would pick a different color, either whatever color you choose for the settee, or a silver or brass. There's a lot of dark brown and gray in the room already.

• Texas Rawhyde
    Original Author
    3 years ago

She is open, but blue is just not one of her top colors in the house. I think as an accent she would be ok with it. Below are a few pics she was drawn to... keep in mind the ceiling fan can be changes to another style/color, but it staying is a must for her (and me).

3 years ago

1) I'm very confused about whether you and your wife want to go with a British West Indies/British colonial look or not. You wrote in your original post "West Indies look scratched, we discussed the new direction", but one of her inspiration pictures is labeled "british colonial master bedroom". And, I should add, that bedroom is mislabeled -- it's more transitional. Bamboo matchstick blinds and a palm tree do not turn transitional/contemporary gray into British colonial/West Indies : ) .

2) What is one her top colors in the house?

3) I love ceiling fans, but I don't like them with lights (supplement the light in the room table lamps and floor lamps), and am happiest when they are the same color as the ceiling (generally white). But if you are going with a colonial/WI theme, you might want to consider a traditional Hunter fan in wood tones, no attached lights.

• Texas Rawhyde
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, originally BWI was the direction, but that changed which sent us down the path to where we are now. As for how the pics are labeled, I didn't pay attn to names and labels, I was going off what everyone had said as far as looking for visual inspiration... nothing more.

I asked my wife to look for 3-5 images that gave me some ideas about what she would be happy with and this was some of what I got. I don't know what you call them...whether BWI, transitional, etc... I was simply looking for visual direction since she has a hard time describing verbally what she wants. If you remove the description and look at the image, you see what she is looking for.

As for colors in the house, she is open. She is not a fan of a lot of shiny gold or brass, and definitely doesn't want BRIGHT colors everywhere. Pops of color are ok and she has expressed the whites, grays, (some) blue, browns, turquoises, etc are good... we have spent a lot of time in the Caribbean and Hawaii and she was looking to draw from those experiences. She just made it clear no over the top super bright color... in her words, I want it relaxing not distracting.

The living room is light, similar to the pic below including the furniture (I would take a pic of the actual living room but I have 2 kids home with the flu and this place is not pretty right now):

Here are the living room colors: Sherwin-Williams Pure White, Balanced Beige and Lagoon.

On your last point of the fan and lights, I agree. One of the things I looked into when this all started was replacing the fan with a darker wood look with no light kit then having a contractor come in and add canister lighting to the room. I don't want the canisters to be the only light, but it would allow for the same type of light over the entire room without fan lights.

I hope this helps.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago
    There is a concept called “layered lighting”. I am not a fan of recessed lighting in a bedroom. Too much glare and not enough softness. Plus probably pricey for you at thus stage. A simple fan if you must. A pretty chandelier better. A couple night stands that are close to height of mattress would be great with lamps that compliment the style you have going. The smaller dresser crowds the room. If you could do a pair of what is called Bachelor Chests they are larger than typical night stands but offer more storage. A floor lamp near a settee in your bay window area and you would have 3 sources of lighting. Instead of recessed lighting, you could put LED rope lighting in ceiling area. I don’t have good photo of ceiling to see if it has crown molding or not. So good layered lighting has at least 3 sources of various type lighting. I am going to look around for you based on your latest info. I am just getting over a bout with the flu so i feel for you. Yes, i did get the flu shot last October. :(
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago
    I pulled together silvery looks with some creams to tie carpet in. Soft, calm looks. Textures for interest and chandelier to set mood plus interesting night/drawer stands with pretty lamps. A settee with floor lamp, cutout velvet gray drapery, a small “C” table for book or drink. Soft, cozy bedding and tufted bench at foot of bed. See if ya-all like this approach.
  • DH
    3 years ago

Here's an example of a soft colored tropical bedroom. Use very light neutral colors. The dark wood tone of the bed anchors the look, and you can use small accent colors of pale teal and soothing green in a few select locations. I recommend starting by finding a rug or piece of artwork that you love and pulling the accent colors from that. In the example photo, you can see how the art work inspires the rest of the colors in the room. Having an inspirational starting point will give you a very coordinated and polished look when it's all put together

Texas Rawhyde thanked DH
  • Judy wear
    3 years ago
    Texas Rawhyde...It sounds like you are going more for a transitional design. You might want to post more inspirational pictures to give the designers a clearer direction of your taste. Stay close to this posting as feedback is essential. Items you are interested in, give information and pics as Houzzers will immediately let you know if it works or not for your room. Also, different sites will be directed on purchases of artwork, furniture, lighting, bedding, window coverings, etc. Good luck, as you have the best designers help your vision become a reality. Remember that it takes time and patience.
    Texas Rawhyde thanked Judy wear
  • suezbell
    3 years ago

Reminder: Since this is a gift from you to your wife, don't just send her off to choose what she wants alone -- at least offer to go with her.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago
    I found a great night stand for your bedroom on sale this weekend from Arhaus. I think this would work well with your existing bed and give a nice blend while staying in a clean line look. The size is good too I believe. Palmer Nite Stand, 19.5”wide x 16d x28h $599 plus an additional 5%off this weekend. Hope you can make a good plan and move forward.
  • Yayagal
    3 years ago

I have those nightstands and really appreciate the drawers, I have so many items handy when I need them.

• Yayagal
    3 years ago

Sounds like me. I don't like shiny or glitzy, I don't like much metal, love neutral muted tones with muted shades of soft soft colors. She wants a soft yummy bedroom with soft textures. That's my idea of a great bedroom. Relaxed, comforting and welcoming.

Texas Rawhyde thanked Yayagal
  • Texas Rawhyde
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry for the delay in responding... the flu-laden kids in the house finally got me! On the mend and ready to start moving forward. I will work with my wife and post some additional images of inspiration. As for the pictured nightstands, I definately agree with needing drawers. My wife said not bad, but was hoping for "softer feel". She said the sharp lines of the handles didn't feel "relaxed" to her.... but she said she was open to it, I think that is her nice way of saying for me to keep looking.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

following

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    3 years ago

I understood that the poster did not want a West Indies i.e. tropical design but that's been misunderstood several times, although I really like the colors in the picture DH shows. So often blue and green come off as cold, but not in this instance. The colors here are very soft and easy to live with.