SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

Philodendron erubescens

tropicbreezent
6 years ago

This Philo was on my place when I bought it but more recently I decided to spread it around the gardens. It's one of the fastest growing of my Philos but doesn't do as well competing for space and light. P. lacerum will over shadow it and beat it for height. Don't recall having noticed it flowering any time although other Philos here do.

Comments (53)

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    6 years ago

Tropicbreeze, from your description it sounds like we might have different philos, we might be able to tell better when I can post pics of mine.

Pink Princess does appreciate extra humidity but in my experience isn't hard to grow. If your dry season is very dry and lasts for a long time, that might cause crispy leaf edges. You're right that PP doesn't look like erubescens, I don't know what the other parent is but it must have a round or oval leaf. Again, I think Pink Princess is just a variegated form of the hybrid Royal Queen so I I'd have to research that name to look for the parents. RQ is a beautiful philo in it's own right, very dark purpley black. Burgundy (aka Majesty aka Black Jack) has the same dark colors but has an elongated lance-shaped leaf.

Jay, the philo in your pic isn't erubescens and is probably a hybrid. Given the number of leaves, it looks like a semi-self heading type rather than a vine like erubescens. Your pic shows the new leaves from underneath, do you remember what color the upper leaf surface was? If it was yellow, it might be a newer hybrid called Moonlight. If they were green, could be one of several old hybrids.

Russ

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    6 years ago

We had a discussion on erubescens back in mid-2016 and I posted some pics. Below is the link. Pics of some other philos as well.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/3774193/philodendron-erubescens-repot

Russ

• Related Discussions

Looking to trade for Cyanotis villosa!

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi edropkin, Welcome to Garden Web and The Plant Exchange. Please see the link below for instructions on getting your Member Page email link set up so that you can easily be reached for trading. hth. Happy Trading! chemocurl...aka Sue Here is a link that might be useful: addressing newbie and newer member issues
    ...See More

HAVE: I finaly have a few things to trade...

Q

Comments (0)
    Seeds I have to trade: * Drosera rotundifolia * Drosera spatulata * Drosera filiformis var. filiformis * Foxglove * Lavender Plants I have to trade: * Syngonium podophyllum - Nephthytis, Arrowhead vine * Spathiphyllum - Peace Lily * Tradescantia zebrina - Wandering Jew , Inch Plant * Azolla caroliniana - Fairy Moss * Lemna minor - Duckweed * Eichhornia crassipes - Water Hyacinth * Pistia stratiotes Water Lettuce * Kalanchoe blossfeldiana - Mother of Many * Bryophyllum * Sedum lanceolatum * Sedum oreganum * Saintpaulia - Unknown * Genlisea hispidula * Drosera rotundifolia * Drosera anglica * Drosera spatulata * Nepenthes X ventrata * Sarracenia purpurea * Numerous Terrestrial Utricularia * Utricularia inflata * Live Sphagnum moss Plants I am looking for: * Agave * Alocasia lowii * Ananas sp. * Aristolochia grandiflora * Asplenium bulbiferum * Anglewing Begonia * Bamboo - Any * Caladium * Ceropegia woodii * Cissus discolor * Coffea arabica * Coleus * Crassula ovata - variegated * Cyperus * Dieffenbachia * Echeveria * Elephant Ears - any * Ficus elastica * Gynura aurantiaca * Hypoestes phyllostachya * Lithops * Monstera deliciosa * Musa sp. * Philodendron sagittifolium * Philodendron elegans * Philodendron erubescens * Platycerium - Staghorn Fern * Saxifraga stolonifera * Sedum sp.
    ...See More

HAVE: Have a ton of plants to trade - mostly houseplants

Q

Comments (3)
    Alaskan, I have some Sedum palmeri, and tons of Saxifraga stolonifera. I would love to trade for a couple different ones of your Drocera, and maybe some seed? How hard are they from seed? I live north of Edmonds. I will email you separately, too, so you can email back at the email address I prefer. PNWJudy Here is a link that might be useful: sedum palmeri
    ...See More

Philodendron erubescens

Q

Comments (4)
    Fungus is everywhere. It's estimated that about 25% of all the biomass on the earth is fungus. That's not bad for something people rarely notice. The mushroom itself is usually only a small part of the overall organism. It's the fruiting body that's produced when things dry off at the end of a growing season to release the spores that will carry on the species. Some plants in nature depend on fungus in or around their roots for survival. Orchid seeds require them for germination and growth. Your mushroom could be from a species that likes a lot of water, I don't know. But Philodendron should be okay with many types of fungus around their roots. They come from wet tropical environments that are full of many different fungus species. But in the longer term it might not deal so well with poorly draining soil, so repotting is a good move.
    ...See More
  • Cassandra H
    6 years ago

Tropicbreeze you have such amazing plants! Perhaps some day I will retire somewhere tropical where I can have a garden so lush!

Russ, I posted that juvenile philo I was looking for an ID on. I’m going to email you my plant list when I have some spare time. I was just reading your about me on gardenweb and you have so many sans! 100+ is incredible! Aroids pique my interest the most at the moment but that is amazing! I’m going to send you my whole list since I saw you like begonias and hoyas and other things as well.

Jay, I’ve seen a similar philo listed as “lemonade”. Looks a lot like moonlight but with pink stems.

Happy New Year everyone!

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Russ, I'd forgotten about that discussion, had another look at it, thanks.

Cassandra, I'm always on the lookout for unusual plants. I've posted photos of many of them here on GW (Houzz) and other sites over the years but there's not much interest in them. Most people tend to be mainly interested in what is commonly available. But I can't help myself. If you get into the tropics you'll find there's a whole new set of challenges to overcome. The tropics will take away problems you have to deal with in cold climates and replace them with things just as daunting. But I find it's fun anyway.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    6 years ago

Cassandra, aroids have been favorite plants since the mid-70s and still are, especially philodendrons and aglaonemas. I became interested in sansevierias in the late 1990s and started seriously collecting them, but they're secondary to aroids. My collections of hoyas, succulents, crotons, begonias and other groups are small in comparison. It's all getting to be too much to maintain and I may have to start cutting down to just one or two collections. Crotons actually require the least attention since they're outdoor trees and can handle quite a bit of cold. Sansevierias don't like temps too much under 55 degrees and they have to be bone dry to survive colder temps.

Tropicbreeze, my area here in central Florida is considered subtropical and I often have overnight winter temps around freezing. I'm expecting mid to low 30s for three nights in a row starting tomorrow, so I'm sure I'll lose a lot of plants that are outside under large oak trees. I've dragged plants into the house, garage and greenhouse for several days, no more room or energy, I'd love to live somewhere that was considered truly tropical, never any cold weather.

Russ

• jay
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks all for the responses. Russ1023 - I looked at the link and got a better idea on what Philodendrons are. Do they have a dormant stage? It would be a plus if these could be kept as houseplants all year long. Must the rhizomes or cuttings be cured like Caladiums & Elephant Ear 'bulbs' or must they be kept alive and moist?

Today I took some more photos of the Philo in a greenhouse. It looks like the Moonlight because of the new yellowish leaves but when comparing it to the web pics I saw, the new inflorescence shoots were not as bright red as this one. But you can't really tell in my pics either. The new leaves were also bent toward each other like a prayer plant. I had to pull them outward to get pics of them. This one has rhizomes that are flopped over and I didn't see any roots on them. This one really looks like it wants to grow along the ground:

Update: 1/6/2018 photo showing roots in the center:

While looking up photos of one that looks like the variety photographed in the greenhouse, I came across a nice Philo pic: https://www.instagram.com/p/_X31oLk2cz/ Is this a: Pink Princess, Black Cardinal, Blushing, Cherry Red Philodendron or is it an enhanced photo?

The Red-leaf, Kaleidoscope, and Burle Marx Philodendrons are some quite striking plants. There are also some Yellow Variegated ones but I can't yet tell if it's one or several varieties.

• Cassandra H
    6 years ago

Tropicbreeze,

I imagine there are different challenges to overcome in the tropics as there will be anywhere. My husband and I lived in the freezing temperatures of Wyoming while he was in college and ever since I’m not a fan of butter cold. Growing up in Southern California I’ve always been a fan of temperate climates, but I lived most of it in the high desert and struggled growing plants I really enjoyed. I am fascinated with all the plants I have seen you post as well as any rare or unusual plant anyone posts. I’m a chef by trade but the industry has left me burnt out. My husband thinks I should have done something with plants. Haha.

Russ,

I wish I lived closer so I could help you! That sounds like it could be devastating. I’m so sorry to hear that, i suppose less devastating than a hurricane however. I hope your plants make it.

Well, I sent you the list of what I have to see if anything piques your interest that you might not have (doubtful though it seems). However, I know you’re saying you feel as though you might need to cut back, but I figured I would offer!

I actually don’t own any ags or crotons. I saw a picture of aglaonema pictum tricolor. It’s amazing! It looks like army camo.

Jay,

I believe moonlight is a hybrid as well as the lemonade variety I was talkin about, so I’m sure it’s one of those hybrids or a very similar hybrid. There are so many it’s hard to pinpoint. The trunks of self heading philos (like Philo bipinnatifidium) usually have aerial roots growing down from them to help them stand stabilized (like their own dowels) but it looks like they have been clipped maybe? If they don’t have them then they grow curly and off shaped which might be why it’s crawling. That’s my best guess anyway.

The plant you found on instagram is gorgeous although I’m not sure what it is. I can’t seem to find the website now (which is going to make me crazy) but there was a nursery online I found awhile ago that had a similar hybrid named raspberries and cream. I have a pink princess and it does not look like this. I have also seen one that seems to be only readily available outside of the US called “white knight” that also looks different. The only other one I have seen is a variegated “black cardinal” which maybe this is.

The Burle Marx fantasy is on my wish list. It has gorgeous coloring. I have also recently seen a photo of Philodendron “rubra aurea maculata” and it is gorgeous. I’m not sure if it’s an uncommon variety, as I have never heard of it, but the coloring is beautiful.

Another one you should look up is verrucosum. It’s like velvet.

To my knowledge they do not have a dormant stage. All of the ones I own are houseplants, I do not have a green/shade house. They do not bulb or produce corms or anything like that. Although, I’m not the expert here so we will have to wait until the other two chime in.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    6 years ago

Hi Jay, the philo in the greenhouse pics is a semi-self heading type, note all the leaves stacked closely on the short stem. These tend to sprawl and curl back on themselves with age, they don't go far like they would if they were true vines. This philo could be the hybrid Moonlight, but new leaves are greener on this one than on my plant, which is a brighter yellow.

Philodendrons don't have a dormant period unless it's forced by cold temps, when growth would slow way down. There are some tuberous aroids that have dormant periods but the philodendrons aren't among them.

I don't recognize your Instagram philo but it's certainly a nice one with its variegated red new leaves. I wouldn't rule out someone photoshopping this pic but who knows. I advise you to be suspect of all names you see on the internet, a great many are made up by sellers. Black Cardinal and Pink Princess are legitimate names, I'm not sure about Kaleidoscope and Burle Marx although the latter is commonly applied to a particular rampant, vining philo. There is a white-variegated form of Burle Marx, which might be the one you saw. Cherry Red and Red Leaf aren't legitimate names, Blushing Philo is a common name usually applied to the species P. erubescens. The few pics of Kaleidoscope I've seen have been an unidentified philo of mine that I collected decades ago labeled Multicolor, which is another made up name. It has long, narrowish lance-shaped leaves that start out orange, then fade to green with yellow variegation.

If you will contact me in the summer I can help you with some philodendrons.

Russ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cassandra, I'd much rather be dealing with a hurricane than 3 nights in a row down to freezing. Irma blew thru here in a rage but I didn't lose much, just a ton of plants blown over and messed up. I've covered with sheets some Pink Princess philos that I've propagated over a couple of years, probably 100 or so pots that I've hoped one would produce a super-variegated one with pink on every leaf. Still waiting. I brought small pots of PP in the kitchen so I can start over if I lose all that are outside. Variegation aside, the rich, deep reddish brown color of new leaves on Pink Princess and Royal Queen is drop-dead gorgeous in my opinion.

The 'Rubra Aurea Maculata' name is a chuckle, I don't see any light yellow in the pic but if it had some I'd say it was a philo I received from a collector labeled Strawberry Shake (probably another dreamed-up name).

I've owned the philo White Knight a couple of times and lost them, seems to be a very weak grower and I wouldn't recommend it although I'd try it again if I could find another one.

P. verrucosum is indeed a beauty, adds new meaning to the word 'shimmering'... but it requires extra high humidity to do well and I don't grow it for that reason. I forget what Burle Marx Fantasy looks like but I do remember it being one of the hard to grow, high humidity philos with velvety leaves like verrucosum.

Raspberries and Cream sounds like it could be so-called Strawberry Shake, but I'd have to see the pic to compare. I've never seen or heard of a Black Cardinal with variegation, my only plant of the latter is VERY slow growing and seems to be one of the semi-self heading types.

Ag pictum tricolor also needs high humidity and is a picky grower. I have an easy to grow, unidentified little spotted ag that could be a pictum, maybe variety bicolor. The great ag explorer and hybridizer Dr. Frank Brown called this ag 'The Frog', but he didn't know what it was either. He said he used it in some of his hybrid crosses that eventually went on the commercial market.

Talk to you later,

Russ

• jay
    6 years ago

Thanks again all for the overall feedback and for the feedback on the Philo in the greenhouse. Cassandra - maybe try some hydroponic lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, etc. Then prepare something with them. I first saw hydroponic veggies on a monorail at Epcot Center in FL. There were tomatoes that were vines growing from PVC pipes.

The Instagram pic came from Pinterest search results: It seemed to state the source was Instagram. So I ran a google image search and it went back to Instagram. Then in Yahoo I searched on: 'Philodendron Hybrid variegated' and it was the first result. It looks like the Instagram poster found it somewhere and would also like to get one of those plants.

Anyway, that's one Philo I'd really like. It's my top wish list Philo. Especially since it won't go dormant. So if I can find it, I'll get it. This ended up being my top wish list Caladium and I got it: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/bLkAAOSwZQRYc2bW/s-l500.jpg - it's named: Daranoppharat and is from Thailand but I have no concrete history on this strain. So far the bulb is sprouting. But unlike the Philos it will be dormant for a few months at some point in the year. I'm short on time tonight and will revisit this thread later this week.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Russ, had to laugh at your comment " I'd love to live somewhere that was considered truly tropical, never any cold weather." I used to live in a zone 10 many years ago and got a job and moved to a zone 12/13. Now though, when minimums start to go under 20C I start to complain. And if they get around 15C, you don't want to be near me, LOL. Doesn't matter where you go, it gets hot and it gets cold. Or maybe I just like complaining.

Cassandra, in my "young and wreckless days" I spent 4 years in Europe. Winter in places like London, Paris,Amsterdam, and even Athens were the pits. But I did really enjoy one winter working in a ski resort in Austria, learned to ski even. Bottom line though, for me nothing beats the tropics. And yet most of my family (extended family) prefer it cooler.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    6 years ago

Jay, that is a very beautiful caladium, I assume you ordered and received it from Thailand. The Thai's are working on all kinds of new hybrids and plants with variegation. Their variegated sansevierias are incredible. The shipping costs I've seen on plants from Thailand have been very high, was that your experience with this order?

I Googled 'philodendron red new leaves with variegation' to see if I could find another source for your philodendron but didn't get a match. Several with red leaves but no variegation, and vice versa. I still think a good ol' Pink Princess with bright pink on every dark chocolatey leaf is a stunning plant and as good as it gets in the realm of variegated philodendrons. The variegated so-called Jungle Boogie philo is very different, but the variegation isn't bright on examples I've seen in pics. So other than the unusual lobed leaf it's not that interesting to me. I have an unidentified philo received as a 'Thai hybrid' that is probably this plant, but without variegation.

Tropicbreeze, yes I'm afraid there's no such place as a complaint-free Nirvana. But I'd definitely rather have the heat than cold. I've never spent any time in Hawaii, I've assumed temps there are comfortable all year long. But like south Florida, it's expensive and too many people as far as I'm concerned.

Your youthful years in Europe must have been exciting, interesting and most certainly were horizon-widening experiences. Great memories to look back on in later years.

Russ

• jay
    6 years ago

Russ - that Caladium was from ebay and was about $15 with $10 shipping. It was supposed to arrive in 2-4 weeks but arrived in 13 days. It has a spike on it and the colors are matching the photo. I was pleased with the order and plan on another order from the Thai seller in the Spring. It took 2 mos and almost 2 1/2 weeks to sprout. Here's a pic from today:

After finding that unknown Philo from Instagram I've been on a recent greenhouse kick. I plan to visit some more this winter...specifically looking for Philo varieties. I updated the photo of the Moonlight(?) hybrid from the greenhosue with a photo showing roots. Here's an unnamed one in front of some other darker ones I found today. Could the one in foreground be a Prince of Orange?:
    The so-called Strawberry Shake you mentioned is nice. Do you have pics of your non-variegated unidentified 'Thai hybrid' Philo I can see?

tropicbreezent - is it mid-summer for you now?

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    6 years ago

Jay, I don't have a way to post a pic of my Thai hybrid philo, but I'm fairly sure it's Jungle Boogie. I've never grown it to a large size but plan on putting several smaller plants in a big pot this spring and see how big it will grow.

The dark philos in your pic are probably Imperial Red. The philo in front could be Prince of Orange but it should obviously have an orange new leaf, not red. That said, I've seen pics of Prince of Orange with more of a red new leaf. The philo Autumn looks similar to Prince of Orange, then there is the newer hybrid McColley's Finale, but I don't think it's the philo in the pic. All these philos are semi-self heading types.

Looks like your caladium is coming on strong, you've obviously fooled it into thinking it's spring. Please post some pics when the leaf opens and we can see the colors.

Russ

• jay
    6 years ago

Ah. I saw pics of some Jungle Boogies.

I caved and bought the Prince of Orange(?). It's my first Philo. If I hadn't have seen this thread I probably wouldn't have this plant now. Its new leaves sometimes look to be a faded burgundy or pinkish-red. Other times a coppery red-orange. The shiny new leaves also look like they have vegetable oil on them. The McColley's pics I've seen have lighter leaf veins than other varieties but the colors are about the same. I found a Red King (not sure if it's just a seller's name for it) pic that looks like mine. Mine is either a Prince of Orange, Autumn, Red King or somewhere in between. It's tough to ID these. One photo is not enough to go on. Maybe 3 pics are not enough to go on either: Below are 3 pics to show the color variations depending on the lighting:

Re-crop of prev posted photo from before I bought it:

Indoors in evening using a flash: As a point of bearing, the paint color of the pot is Cut Ruby. It is a half-shade darker than the new leaf regardless of the picture taking conditions:

Outdoors on overcast day:

I'll certainly post pics of the Thai Caladium when the leaves open.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    6 years ago

Jay, since this is your first philodendron you have an entire world of different kinds opening up to you. Maybe you'll drift to other aroids if you find philos to be a great interest and you want to start collecting, but you could have an entire house full of philodendrons with no duplications whatsoever.

Congrats on pulling the trigger on the philo, I honestly don't think it's Prince of Orange given the red new leaves. I saw pics of the so-called Red King, that's a new one on me but maybe it's a new variety I haven't heard about. I believe Autumn also has orange new leaves, all the pics I've seen of it have been that color.

In any case, you've bought a very attractive plant, and since it's easy to grow you've made a good choice for a first philodendron.

Russ

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jay, mid summer here in about a weeks time. Sun is to the south here now but will go back north of us later. We get 8 months sun to our north and 4 months to our south. Also the wet season now.

• jay
    6 years ago

Russ1023 - I got rid of 4 marginal plants to make room for the (Red King-like) Philo. I remain in awe of the shiny leaves. Will indirect sunlight be good for it or must it at least have dappled, weak, or diffused sunlight?

tropicbreezent - I look forward to seeing what late summer or 'fall' pics you post.

tropicbreezent thanked jay
  • Russ1023 (central Fla)
    6 years ago

Jay, philodendrons can survive for a long time on indirect light, like most plants they might stretch toward the light but turning them occasionally will help. During spring and summer they appreciate as much light as possible short of full afternoon sun. Early morning sun then bright shade in the afternoon or all day bright shade is excellent.

I wonder if the nursery put an oil spray on the leaves to give it the shine. Are the older leaves also shiny? Bright colored new leaves can often be glossy but that usually goes away when the color fades to green or greenish.

Russ

• Cassandra H
    6 years ago

Hey guys!

Everyone got a nasty bug I’m my house so I have been MIA.

Jay, before I moved to Portland I had one of those Aerogardens in my kitchen, it’s a pretty cool thing. It works well for someone who has no hydroponics experience. Here in Oregon, I have a really large outdoor fruit, veggie and herb garden.

Your caladium is very pretty, the colors seem right, fingers crossed it is the right one!

Your philo is beautiful! My best guess would be Autumn, since the leaves look a little more bronze than peachy orange like I’ve seen, but who knows? Like you have said, they are tough to ID. Russia right and you’ve opened up a whole new world. Most of mine so far are very easy to care for in my conditions as a houseplant. Here’s my pink princess since Russ has mentioned them before. It’s unfurling a new leaf.

And here’s my wish list caladiums which I have not found so far. I’ve seen it called Siam moon and Pesquisa.

Also, the only plant I have seen close to your NOID philo is from a website in another language. They have a ton a gorgeous variegated philodendron in all types. It’s called exoticplant.org

I also came across this philo on kensnursery

And lastly, I found an old listing from a guy on eBay that is still selling. When I messaged him about it, he said they are brought in from Thailand and they are $150 (ouch) but he will have them in February.

But so far even with all my sleuthing, I have not come across your Philo.

Tropicbreeze, it sounds like Russ, you have lived a life! I hope to say one day when I looked back I can say I have done some of the same! Don’t ever stop posting pictures of your garden and plants. I find your plants so interesting and amazing to see them growing outdoors in a natural (or more natural) environment!

tropicbreezent thanked Cassandra H
  • tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Cassandra. I just got out of hospital the other day so gardening activities are going to be curbed for a while. But I can still take photos. I like those new Thai Caladiums. A lot of the local nurseries are bring them in direct from Thailand. That's a trip I'm hoping to do some time soon.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    6 years ago

Tropicbreeze, I hope your hospital stay wasn't for anything serious and you're well on your way to recovery by now. Good thoughts and prayers going your way for a quick recuperation.

I'm not sure I could afford a trip to Thailand, not because of travel expenses but because I'd want to bring back thousands of dollars worth of plants.

Russ

tropicbreezent thanked Russ1023 (central Fla)
  • tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Russ, I'll let you know in a month's time when they tell me but I'm feeling very positive. Just renewed my passport, hoping my only use for it won't be to the Pearly Gates. With my record they might not issue me with a visa to get through, LOL!

Thailand's not so far from here, the climate in Bangkok is similar to ours. But they have a lot more rainforest areas nearby than we do. Our quarantine people have very effective methods of drawing a line between what you'd like to bring and what you'd be allowed to bring, then enforcing it. Phyto certificates help get around a lot of the obstacles, except for what's outright prohibited.

• Cassandra H
    6 years ago

I’m so sorry to hear about your hospital stay Tropicbreeze! As Russ said, I hope you are doing well and I will pray for a speedy recovery for you.

Thailand sounds like a dream, definitely a place I would like to visit someday, both for the food and the plants. Hopefully you can make it there when you’re feeling well again and maybe bring something back that you can share photos of! It seems like the Thai are really doing some amazing things with the hybrids I keep seeing. On top of which they just have some neat plants there anyway.

tropicbreezent thanked Cassandra H
  • Russ1023 (central Fla)
    6 years ago

Tropicbreeze, yes, think positive and I'll do the same for you. You sound like you have a great attitude about your illness, that can make all the difference.

I was in Nakhon Phanom Thailand in 1968-1969 during Vietnam and always wanted to go back for plants. I collect aglaonemas and there are a few native Thai species. The Thais have been working on new hybrids of many kinds of plants as well as producing new variegates. Their sansevierias are spectacular.

Russ

• jay
    6 years ago

Cassandra - the $150 Philo is a great find! Wow. It's so nice that whether or not it's the same as the NOID doesn't matter as much anymore. But it could be the one. For my Philo, you and Russ have got me leaning to Autumn. As for Caladiums, my Thai one looks so good that I don't want the Ma Had Thai - AKA: Hot Lips as much as before. It's not offered except as wholesale at this time. I've eyed the Siam Moon before but never knew of the Pesquisa. Their contrasty style brings up the first of 2 questions I have:

1) Is the Thai Beauty Caladium the same as the Pink Symphony? I'm going to get 1 or both(?) at some point.

2) What is this plant that states 'Kiat' on it? Is it a Caladium or Philo?: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/83/12/f6/8312f63276702fd412c052b09131368a.jpg
    If it's not a Philo, could it be a: Florida Beauty or Raspberry Moon variation? I've also seen Autumn Beauty, Tie-dyed Tree Frog, 'marbled' Miss Muffets, and Sweet Carolinas that look like that. The last 4 I listed have many looks that sometimes appear like different varieties altogether.

I have a bunch of herbs by my front door that somehow keep some parts alive even in 0 degree temps. All but the Chives and this winter no Cilantro. I have fun Christening our house-guests' noses with pinches of them as they make guesses on their IDs.

Russ - thanks for all the Philo info. I've moved mine out of the direct sun a bit. I'm glad they don't need a lot of sun because I don't have the space for that. It doesn't seem to need much water either and its leaves drip for days even after lesser waterings.

tropicbreezent - I wish you all the best with getting back to tip-top shape. I'm envious of your possible Thai trip. Since I potted my first Caladium bulb less than a year ago, my ears literally have a physical reflex action if I hear Thai or Thailand brought up. I have Thai friend that will visit there in 2 years along with some photos of Caladiums whose bulbs I'd like. I would only hope for ones that are close in appearance - if they get by customs. I've taken few trips just for plants before but no more than a few U.S. states away.

Below are 3 pics of the Thai Caladium at 4 weeks old - not what I expected to have growing in January:

Underside:

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    6 years ago

Jay, your new Thai caladium is outstanding, I've never seen one with that color. It's obviously a red but I don't know what I'd call it, sort of a burnt red color, I like the underlying variegation.

I have little doubt that your Kiat plant is a caladium. I have Frog in a Blender and a bunch of other caladiums, including a a variety of the species bicolor that's very pretty. Any aroid is interesting to me.

Russ

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. I'm running on Plan A although I did set up a Plan B. As with everything you always need a Plan B but that's starting to look like being rescheduled well into the future. Now I can concentrate more on the forums again.

This is one of my Caladiums which never seems to be able to make up its mind what its colour scheme should be.

This Philo was a purchase just before hospital so haven't had a chance to plant it out yet. It was just labeled "Philodendron" and nothing else. Looks like a "Prince of Orange" to me.

By the way, someone just bumped up an old post of mine I'd forgotten about. It's full of photos of my garden last wet season, looking pretty much the same as it does today.

[Rainforest garden in the rainy season (lots of pics)[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/rainforest-garden-in-the-rainy-season-lots-of-pics-dsvw-vd~4493354)

• jay
    6 years ago

That multi-look Caladium looks similar to a Fannie Munson and it could be one if it's been there for decades. My Brandywine has about 6 different leaf colorings: Larger leaves with deeper reds occur early in the season and some begin to yellow & burn if not with some shade. The larger leaves in the shade are a dark green with dark red centers. The leaves later in the season are smaller with "white & pink" or "white or pink" markings and a hint of red in the center veins. Others later in the season are smaller and green with red centers. Here are photos of 6 variations of mine:

I found out that if you are questioned about bulbs in customs (and you have no cert papers) that they could be thrown out, and all your things searched. Which could delay you.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jay, that Caladium hasn't been there for decades, I got it about a few years ago from one of the big store nurseries. As usual it was labeled "Caladium". One that has been here for a long time is this one, it starts off like this and late in the season the leaves begin to fill in with green. By the end the leaves are all green although the leaf veins still stand out.

Here seeds, provided they're clearly labeled with scientific names, are clean, not mixed species, are allowed in without a phyto certificate. But any plants, or bulbs must have a phyto, otherwise they're put through an incinerator. There's talk now that they might soon require seeds to have a phyto as well. Biosecurity is getting tighter everywhere.

• jay
    6 years ago

I have what may be the same or related variety. It's probably a Candidum or Candidum Jr. The leaves later in the season, esp the ones with more shade have less white and more green. But none had all green. Mine came in a bulb mix with no names. Once last summer saw a section of Caladiums for sale and some of the not-named white ones had some smaller 100% green leaves. I didn't think anything of it until a few days later. So I went back to get it and the whole section of Caladiums was gone. I won't wait if I see some like that again. This is one of mine in mid July:

Hmm. I'll see what I can find out about bringing seeds from there. After you brought it up I plan to try starting some from seeds.

• Cassandra H
    6 years ago

Hi guys! All of these caladiums are amazing! I haven’t grown any of these yet still, but clearly I need to.

I hope everyone is well! How are you feeling tropicbreeze? I’m going to have to check out the other post of yours.

Russ, I still need to respond to your last email, things have been crazy for me lately it seems.

Jay, that guy on eBay told me the variegated black cardinals are in I believe he said they are $150 last time I spoke with him. I’m waiting for his answer. This is the picture he sent if you’re interested. He said the top 3. I asked what the bottom left was because it looks pretty. The bottom right maybe is some sort of Congo.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's amazing the variations they keep coming up with in Philodendrons. But a price tag like $150 would scare me.

Thanks Cassandra, doing well. No longer self injecting, gave up the pain killers and no longer feeling nauseous all the time. Life is good, just need to be able to get into the garden a bit more :)

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    6 years ago

Cassandra, those variegated philos are beautiful for sure but the price is out of my comfort zone, especially by mail order. No worries on responding, life can be busy.

Tropicbreeze, I'm glad you're feeling better and off some of the meds. I consider 'the garden' my yoga, stretching exercises, meditation and therapy. I'd be a basket case without plants to take care of and enjoy.

Russ

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Getting back to erubescens, some of the leaves on mine are are getting a lot of red. Can't remember whether the emerging leaves were any redder than usual. It's not happening to many, and it doesn't seem to be either a more sun or less sun effect. Unfortunately the photos aren't showing it up so well.

Thanks Russ, each day is better and I keep pushing the limits. Spent 3.5 hours in the garden this morning, light duties of course. Tried getting back to my sit up exercises but only managed 2 before the pain made me reconsider. Oh well, getting there but still a lot of room for improvement. I'll keep following the "garden path".

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    6 years ago

Tropicbreeze, the red coloring looks like a light sunburn to me, but could be something else. It's definitely not normal. Has the sun moved without you realizing it and exposed this plant to full sun? This has happened to me once in awhile, especially in late summer when sun is at it's most intense. I think you're equivalent right now to my August or September.

I'm glad you're doing better! Sit-ups are the worst, I used to do hundreds at a time when I was young, but now a dozen would probably put me in the hospital.

Russ

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Don't think it's quite so simple, some of the other plants are in more sun than these but still completely green other than when they're new. The bottom one (photo) gets a lot of sun during the dry (winter) season when the sun is to the north. The past 4 months it's been in a lot more shade as the sun has been to the south. The top one is generally more shaded except late in the day, whether the sun is to the north or to the south. I suspect there might be a combination of factors involved. At the moment the sun is directly overhead (at solar noon), we get that twice a year.

Always tried to keep up the sit up exercises but never got into the hundreds. I do a lot of heavy lifting around the place (or did) and these exercises always kept my back in shape. That's why I'm keen to get back to them. But I have a stationary bicycle, rowing machine and weights, so meantime there's options.

• jay
    6 years ago

Got pics of Moonlight & Jungle Boogie at a greenhouse in a nursery in N. Va yesterday. It was nice to see things in person I've only seen in published form:

The Jungle Boogies had some unusual-looking brown composite 2x2's in their pots. Each one of the 2x2's had a round hole at the top. I'm not sure if that was from production or if for another reason.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Not clear on what you mean by "brown composite 2x2's".

• jay
    6 years ago

I enlarged another photo that shows 3 of the least obstructed 2x2-looking stakes. I can zoom yet closer if you'd like:

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I see what you mean, composite timber, probably treated so it lasts longer. Timber stakes like that (with the holes in the top) are sometimes used as termite bait. The hole is covered and after the termites work their way in poison is poured into the top. Usually one of those poisons that's carried back to the main colony. But that doesn't seem a likely reason in this situation. I can only surmise that they're meant to be climbing poles to help the plants gain more height rather than flop while in the nursery. The holes might be to retain water to keep the stakes damp so the plants get a better grip with their roots. That's my guess anyway.

• jay
    5 years ago

The following 2 plants appear the same to me. But I believe they are different species. If these are just 2, which are the correct names for the more common ones I see in building lobbies and sold as hanging plants?:

1:

Philodendron hederaceum ‘Mica’

Philodendron scandens ‘Mica’

2:

Epipremnum Aureus ‘Marble Queen’

Pothos Aureus ‘Marble Queen’

Scindapsus(misnomer?) Aureus ‘Marble Queen’

Another question: Is the: Philodendron hederaceum 'Brasil' also called: Heart Leaf Philodendron, and Philodendron scandens? The latter 2 I see on-line a lot. I only recently got my 2nd Philo and I often see that exact variety sold as Pothos or Philodendron. Sometimes in the same nursery by different vendors. Mine was labeled as: Philodendron hederaceum 'Brasil' and I think that is correct. This is it from today:

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's the unfortunate thing with many of the names used in the retail trade, nurseries will often use names that they feel will sell better rather than use correct names.

Philodendron scandens is actually Philodendron hederaceum. You can get different cultivars, some have registered names, others have names attached just on the spur of the moment.

Plants sold as Pothos are in fact Epipremnums. Pothos is a completely different genus of plant which most people on this forum would never have seen and most nurseries wouldn't know anything about. Epipremnum aureum is a very variable plant so there are many registered cultivars around.

Heart-leaf Philodendron is P. hederaceum variety oxycardium. Philodendron hederaceum 'Brasil' is a registered cultivar, not all P. hederaceum will look like it.

Marketing has made a mess of the names but most people just get what they like and don't care about the name. "A rose by any other name......"

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    5 years ago

Well said Tropicbreeze.

Jay, P. hederaceum has been officially named scandens and oxycardium in past decades, so those names still linger today. Apparently the "original" species is now called hederaceum variety 'Oxycardium' as Tropicbreeze says.

Notes on International Aroid Society's website describes an almost identical variety growing in the same range, differing only in having a slightly narrower, more pointed, and satiny, glossy leaf blade as a juvenile. I think this is hederaceum v. 'Micans', which is the erroneous name "Mica" you mentioned. I haven't seen the name "Mica" before, so a large wholesaler must have recently marketed v. 'Micans' with that name.

Ignore the name "heartleaf', it's applied to so many of the hederaceum varieties that it's useless as an identifier.

Epipremnum used to officially be Scindapsus, so the latter is still used in error. Epipremnum aureus v. 'Marble Queen' is available in two clones, one having large areas of bright white variegation on a dark green leaf, the other being much more striking with a nearly all-white leaf and scatterings of green.

I hope we've made some sense out of some of the chaos of names.

Russ

• jay
    5 years ago

That's exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciation to the both of you. I'll be returning to use that info as a reference.

I'm going to try and get photos of some of the more striking indoor Epipremnum plantings.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    5 years ago

Good deal Jay, let us know how it goes. We'd be interested to see pics when you have some.

Russ

• jay
    5 years ago

I did get a good pic of a 12" indoor E.A. leaf and posted it on the ["Large Epipremnum aureums on central and south Florida trees"[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/large-epipremnum-aureums-on-central-and-south-florida-trees-dsvw-vd~5425795?n=21) thread.

Update on the April 16, 2018 at 9:48AM "2x2-looking stakes" post above: I found another one of those 2"x2" sticks - this time in an E.A. pot. The stick feels like a dry hard natural sponge but is soft for something that appears like composite wood. You can push the surface inward with your fingertips. I also noticed that some of the older aerial roots grow into the stick. The stick was dry and didn't seem to wick the soil moisture, but I couldn't tell if it wicked with certainty:

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I've seen posts this size and composition made from tree fern fiber, maybe compressed and I suppose somehow glued. But this one is a darker color so might made of something else.

• jay
    5 years ago

I found yet another EA stick at another nursery greenhouse. You can tell it is soft if you squeeze it. This one looks like there is styrofoam under the brown covering. You can see the white styrofoam showing through on the bottom 2 corners/edges:

• Cassandra H
    5 years ago

Hi guys! Long time no see (or message rather) I hope all is well with everyone!!

Jay, I have a friend who takes styrofoam sticks, puts wood glue on them and then rolls them in shredded coconut coir. He uses them for shingle plants and anything he’s trying to get to latch. He told me some nurseries do that. Could that be what your mystery sticks are?

• jay
    5 years ago

Hi. Possibly. They all seem to be the same and might come from the same plant supplier. The pots are all green and the bar code stick-on labels are the same size.

I have a Pothos Golden that came on what looks like a thin gauge 3ft PVC pipe with a 1 1/8" inside diameter. It appears to have a coconut coir sleeve over it that is tied on with 1/16" nylon twine.

Because the vines had reached beyond the top of the totem stick, I slipped a 1" scored wooden dowel into the pipe and fastened it to the pipe with a screw. I also extended the length of the wooden dowel with a dowel pin connecting another dowel to it. I glued it with 'liquid nails'. I'm hoping the aerial roots will attach to it:

What I believe may be coconut coir/fiber over the totem stick:

Wooden dowel extension to the totem stick. You can see the glued seem above the top vine tie:

Sponsored