SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sabine_farm

Citrus indoors without supplemental lights.

sabine_farm
6 years ago

Hello and merry Christmas all.

I’ve read quite a few posts on here about using artificial light setups for citrus in containers when brought inside for the winter.

When I bought my first citrus (Meyer) I bought it as a house plant. I put it outside in the spring and summer (zone 7a) and bring it in when temps drop into the 50s. Since buying that one Meyer lemon, I started a key lime tree from seed, and quite a few tangerine trees also from seed. My addiction took hold once I couldn’t throw away what I pruned off them, and so started rooting the cuttings. I now have 8 key lime trees, 5 Meyer lemons and 4 tangerines.

Anyway, my reason for posting is that I’ve never had them under lights in the winter. It never occurred to me as I treat them as houseplants and love the aesthetic appeal of them. We have a bright sunny house, but in the winter it is rarely above 65 degrees (high ceilings and inefficient furnace!). I have them dotted around the house on any free surface. They are all doing very well and putting on new growth.

I must have hit the right light / temperature ratio (by luck) as none of them drop any leaves. I just wanted to mention this in case anyone having problems with leaf drop under lights has tried just keeping citrus as houseplants in the winter without using artificial lights.

Comments (11)