Another Houzz Update!!!

lynartist

Why can’t Houzz leave this app alone! This latest update is really just too much:((((! Photos aren’t posting on dilemmas! I can’t move photos around in my ideabook! Is it really necessary to save whole threads in an ideabook!!! Seriously!!! Who comes up with this stuff! Every time the IT guys mess with this it just makes it more frustrating for everyone!

SaveComment2.1KLike17
Comments (2.1K)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Eyal Silberman

🤪👍😂

2 Likes Save    
ngcurt

Eyal, the back button problem has been going on for a couple of weeks on my iPad, and continues today. At first, I thought it was my iPad, but this is the only app with the issue. Also, when I close the app when on design dilemma, and later reopen it, the screen does not refresh. I have to go all the way back to Home, pull down to refresh the screen, then go to Latest, then to Design Dilemma. Again, for a couple of weeks on iPad. I haven’t seen others comment on this problem.

3 Likes Save    
Eyal Silberman

Thanks for reporting, ngcurt.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Eyal - thanks for your help. Been following. When doing a mock up with the Houzz sketch tool on my iPhone when I crop a photo or part of one and try to insert into my mock up many times it just isn’t right or there. Long standing problem. Thanks.

1 Like Save    
mary44

Haoyu. She is not getting any notifications from me at all...she said her activity is low right now and she is only helping a handful of people and still not getting my notifications.

1 Like Save    
Eyal Silberman

Flo, I am not sure I 100% understand the use case you are describing. Do you mean you are trying to add an image to a sketch, and it doesn’t work? Could you please attach a screenshot that demonstrates the problem?

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

Eyal- Will the sketch tool come back in the Ideabooks? Sounds like the problem Flo is having is one which I had with the Ideabook sketch tool before it was removed. You could do the sketch and crop photos and it looked fine but when it was moved into an Ideabook the sketch had layers of those uncropped photos. I used the Sketch Tool almost daily all last yr with no problems and then it went haywire. I use a laptop.

2 Likes Save    
glschisler

On my iPad, I cannot go back to my Dilemmas that I have bookmarked in my ideabooks. I must go back out of the ideabook and come back in each time I want to see a different dilemma. This has been going on for awhile now, and I see ngcurt has the same problem. Please help!

2 Likes Save    
glschisler

I am using the app.

2 Likes Save    
Eyal Silberman

Thanks guys, we will be looking into all of your reports.

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I think we are the Beta test team. BTT!

4 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Lynartist. In case you come by here, special request for you over on DDs thread. Please.

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- Here is an example of when I want to save a photo to an Ideabook and when I hit Save I get product to purchase instead of it saving. In this case toilets and probably because the Save button is partially on the toilet.

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/newport-beach-midcentury-modern-home-midcentury-bathroom-orange-county-phvw-vp~50116479

1 Like Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @tedbixby, just messaged team on it, thanks!

1 Like Save    
Molly

@haoyu chen I’m still having email notification issues. I am using v20.4.12 of the app on my iPad and when I click on view comment it either kicks me out or takes me to the home page and stops there instead of continuing on to the thread.

Save    
Haoyu Chen

FYI, the iOS app, 20.4.27 is ready (I guess at least for some users?), the update should fix the comment cuttoff in the app. Thanks!

2 Likes Save    
Molly

The update is not available for me yet.

Save    
tedbixby

Flo- Today I started getting notifications every time you add a photo to your kitchen ideabook. Did you set that up for me to receive since I'm not following you nor did I get an invite. Just wondering if this is a Houzz glitch?

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu, I noticed today that when I go to Save a photo from Houzz into my Ideabooks that prior when I typed in a room, such as Living Room, all my Ideabooks with Living Room in the title would show up for me to choose from. It would also include titles that have other words in front of Living Room such as AA Living Room. Now that is no longer available and only shows exactly what the first word is. If I want AA Living Room I have to type in AA. The new way works well for someone that has Ideabooks that are generic but for me I have multiple Ideabooks for same types of rooms and are identified with more than just the title of a room. Quite frankly, it is easier just to type in "Living Room" and see all the books with this in the title rather than trying to remember what the rest of the title is. If necessary I can change the titles in my Ideabooks to work with the new way which would identify the room first. But that said, the other issue is that when I use my Ideabook page, I have identified my most used Ideabooks starting with "A" or "AA" so that when I use the search box I don't have to scroll through the whole long list since the list is alphabetical. This is also helpful when I want to insert a photo from an Ideabook into a thread and not having to scroll through a list of 108 books. I think the flexibility of the "old" way was more user friendly than the new way.

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

So I just went to add a Houzz photo to an Idea book. I tried different words that I thought the specific Ideabook was and when nothing came up, I scrolled through the list which isn't alphabetized. It appears the latest to the least books I had entered photos into come up first and since this one I haven't gone to in awhile, I had to scroll through the whole list. Maybe i have too many Ideabooks as it was a pain in the ? And I didn't find the book (yet) though I know I have it so I just started another one until I find the original.

Save    
lynartist

I have never been able to figure out how to insert a photo from my IB into a thread! I’m not sure if it’s doable on the app?

Save    
Molly

You can’t do it from the app Lyn.

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

That's interesting. So if you want to save a photo from Houzz or another site and put it in an Ideabook does that mean you need to do extra steps to use it on a thread rather than just being able to pull it out of your ideabook and post it directly? If so, sounds like a pain....

1 Like Save    
niccidhg

The way to get around that ,and achieve the same result, Lyn, is to take a screenshot of the IB image and then just send that. —- I have a question about a new problem I have recently encountered. Randomly, a comment is cut off mid-sentence after just a couple of lines - is anyone else having this happen ? Houzz, what is the reason for this ?! Much longer comments come through in their entirety. It happens only very sporadically/randomly.

2 Likes Save    
Molly

I just take a screenshot of my screen and insert it in my post. I don’t use sketch for much.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Yes, I just screenshot anything from my IB too but it would be nice to have that feature!

2 Likes Save    
lynartist

nicci, I have been having this same problem for quite some time now! There is no rhyme or reason to the posts that get cut off mid way! Some that are far longer get posted in their entirety; others do not😢

2 Likes Save    
tedbixby

Niccidhg- if you go back in the comments about 4 days ago I think this addresses your problem? - FYI, the iOS app, 20.4.27 is ready (I guess at least for some users?), the update should fix the comment cuttoff in the app. Thanks!

Save    
lynartist

Ted, there’s no problem saving photos to an IB. The ability of accessing the IB from a thread to post a photo on that thread does not exist. You can go to your photo library but not your IB!

1 Like Save    
lynartist

I’m still on 20.4.12 so it hasn’t updated for me. Perhaps that’s my problem... or am I looking forward to more problems when it does😏

Save    
lynartist

I just deleted and reinstalled. It now says I have version 20.5.2?????

Save    
lynartist

Try deleting nicci and reinstalling and see if that helps the problem! Hoping it does.

Save    
Haoyu Chen

@tedbixby Recently some updates have been rolled out for ideabook. Yep, I totally agree it would be nice to search word inside the title and will forward the advice to the relevant team. Thanks for your valuable feedback!

Save    
Haoyu Chen

@lynartist Yep, it would be nice to attach ideabook photo or product into comments at mobile. Currently, the app has a subset of features as Web version (e.g. edit is not available at app too). We are trying to bring more features to the app, but it might take some time 🤝.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Comments are being cut off. What is latest version for iPhone app?

Save    
Haoyu Chen

@Flo Mangan yep, this has been fixed in the newest version -- 20.4.27 or above.

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Ok. I will load it later today. Scary.

Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu, Thanks. Hope the new updates to the Ideabooks will be bringing back the Sketch Tool.

Save    
lynartist

Thank you Haoyu for continuing to check in with us! We appreciate your help👍🏻

1 Like Save    
ladma

I loaded the latest update on my iPad, so far, so good.

1 Like Save    
ngcurt

Per the App Store the latest version for iPad is 20.5.2, apparently available two days ago. I’m sure the computer versions are numbered differently, likely because they came first. I’ve downloaded the newest iPad version and will report back on my two biggest issues..the cutoff comments and the back button dysfunction.

2 Likes Save    
lynartist

Yes, I also had the back button problem 😉

Save    
lynartist

Now working 👍🏻‼️

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- Circling back to the search word within the title from the Ideabook I noticed today when I went to Save a photo from another site that when I put a word in the search box, that all the Ideabooks titles came up that had that word in it. So it appears that saving Houzz photos and other photos the search boxes operates differently.

1 Like Save    
niccidhg

Thanks, Lyn, Ted and Haoyu. Flo, I’m with you in thinking that it feels scary to delete the app and reinstall. Good to hear yours went well, Ladma. I will have to work up my courage, as I wait a bit longer and see how much frustration I encounter from unfinished comments. I just don’t understand why each new update has to disturb the formerly established process/functioning !

1 Like Save    
lynartist

It’s ok nicci, take the plunge😉

1 Like Save    
Molly

No problems for me so far either Nicci.

3 Likes Save    
tedbixby

Go ahead nicci- you can do it :)

diver into swimming pool - Google Search · More Info

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I did it but pictures are being chopped and cropping not working well.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Cropping?

Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu, I got a notification that this person added a photo to their Kitchen Ideabook. I have no idea who this person is and neither of us are following each other. This is the link the notification took me, too. https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/102110004/thumbs/kitchen

This is the person https://www.houzz.com/activities/user/julie_zygmontowicz

Save    
PRO
Design Interior South

Cropping issue in Sketch as well. As in the crop feature doesn't work.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I have been getting notifications for strangers to me posting photos in my idea books. This has been a problem for months. I finally “locked” most of my ideabooks to prevent this. Just so many software problems it isn’t worth my time to keep track. I just “work around”.

Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- Search word within the title when posting a photo in an Ideabook is working as it originally was, which is perfect. I tried it on multiple photos on Houzz and other sites and it is all the same. Thank the team for their prompt attention to this and making it user friendly again.

1 Like Save    
armchairshopper
Save    
PRO
Design Interior South

@Flo Mangan I have been having people post their idea books to my idea books. I have locked my idea books but have their entire idea books showing up in my idea books. I am not sure what this is or why its happening.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I would so love it if my Ideabooks were alphabetical based on first word of name of book.

Save    
tedbixby

Flo- On desktop ( I know you are on phone) I use to be able to go into Edit and then drag the Ideabook to where I want it. Then that ability disappeared in the last few months ago but I just circled back to it and I discovered that I can just drag the Ideabook to wherever without having to go through Edit. So I can alphabetized if I want to. I don't know if this is something that is possible on the phone.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I haven’t tried but if the system doesn’t keep alphabetical order going it will get out of order fast. I will try on my phone.

Save    
Lisa SW

Moments ago the app opened and then immediately closed itself on both iPad and iPhone. I can only access through website.

3 Likes Save    
Lisa SW

And a few minutes later it works again. Go figure.

1 Like Save    
ngcurt

Same problem here, immediately shutting down if I try to open app or even to link from an email. Sporadic. Also with pinterest (not sporadic, just complete fail), still not resolved, in spite of deleting and reinstalling the apps. All on iPad. Given that it’s a problem with multiple apps, I’m inclined to blame it on IOS, tho I don’t allow automatic updates and did not update today. I do have most recent updates of each app, and have not had problems until the last couple of hours...7:40 pm on east coast. Wierd...

1 Like Save    
niccidhg

Lisa SW , mine was just doing that endlessly for the last two hours. So, I decided to “take the plunge” and install the updated version of the app on my iPad. Apparently that fixed it. —- Thanks for the encouragement everyone !

3 Likes Save    
glschisler

How can I update it without going to the App Store?

1 Like Save    
lynartist

I was unable to open the app on my phone! It just flashed a went poof! Kept doing it for about 45 min. I thought maybe I upset someone... well maybe agsin😏

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Sheesh! It kept flashing off!!! I almost had a seizure 😳

Save    
Seajay Sparkles

My iPad was doing that too. I turned it off and when I turned it back on, I was able to go on Houzz without issues. I didn’t do latest update because many warned it was a problem. I might do it now though.

1 Like Save    
glschisler

Ok, for the iPad to update I had to go to the iPad App Store to download the update! Crazy! I hope it fixed the bugs. :/

2 Likes Save    
glschisler

Lyn, go to the App Store to download the update.

Save    
lynartist

I’ve already done that... several times😏

1 Like Save    
ngcurt

I’ve downloaded the latest update (yesterday, with no new issues, tho not necessarily resolutions of old ones ), shut down my iPad, all to no avail. But like I said, same problem with Pinterest suddenly this afternoon, so maybe we need to give houzz a break on this one. For some reason, it does open when I link for an email notice, but can’t open the app directly. Will waIt to see what overnight brings...

Save    
Lisa SW

My apps are set to update automatically. Is 20.4.12 the latest Houzz version? Apparently my latest IOS is going to try to install later tonight.....oh the things that happen while I’m asleep.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Nothing happens when I’m asleep anymore 😏 ... too old😆

2 Likes Save    
lynartist

Dang‼️I lost all the stuff in my history file!!!! That bites🤬

Save    
mary44

My latest houzz version is 20.5.2..

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Mine too Mary.

1 Like Save    
Lisa SW

Thanks Mary. Don’t know why mine didn’t update. Will have to decide if I want to bite the bullet.

Save    
Lisa SW

Lyn, things do happen...we just sleep through them.

Save    
lynartist

Ahh, well that would be the OLD part😩

1 Like Save    
ngcurt

For the few hours we actually sleep...oh, those pillows just don’t work anymore, or I’m hot, or I’m cold, or the moon is too bright :)
However, Pinterest suddenly works again...voila! And houzz seems to open reliably too! Maybe an internet issue....tho everything else worked. A mystery, but I’m not going to complain..

Save    
ngcurt

This just popped up. I don’t use fb to login, but seems apropos

https://apple.news/A4wiu82iZO26IH9f7r3kzLA

1 Like Save    
Seajay Sparkles

I sleep through most everything… thank the Lord! 20.4.12 latest version on my iPad.

2 Likes Save    
Molly

I have auto updates, but it hadn’t happened so I deleted the old version and reloaded it as 20.5.2. I did see the flash earlier, but haven’t been back here since it flashed off several hours ago.

2 Likes Save    
lynartist

Mines working fine now... maybe we momentarily entered the twighlight zone😱

Save    
Lisa SW

Molly, I rely on you for tech support. Mine didn’t automatically update so should I reload the new version?

Save    
Molly

Delete the app on your phone (just hold the icon button for a second and that option will pop up). Then go to the App Store and download the Houzz app again.

1 Like Save    
Lisa SW

Will do. Thanks, Molly.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

That’s what I do. My latest Houzz app version is:
20.5.2. I am set up for auto updates too but that doesn’t work. I just periodically check and download as needed, praying all the while.

Save    
Molly

@haoyu Chen I’m still having the issue where if I click on my email notification it takes me to the Houzz home page and the stops instead of going on to the thread.

Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- I tried to copy photos from one Ideabook into another and they didn't transfer. Also, dragging them around in the Ideabook didn't go smoothly. Like the new look of the Ideabook page.

Save    
tedbixby

Can someone please "Like" this comment as I need to see if my Notifications are working. I haven't received any today which is extremely odd.

4 Likes Save    
lynartist

I “ like” you Ted♥️

2 Likes Save    
tedbixby

Thank You. I was notified. Nice to be wanted-lol...

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I “like” you too Ted!!🥰😍

2 Likes Save    
Seajay Sparkles

NOW everyone is liked and hoping notified of their good fortune.

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

Thank You, Flo. It worked and so appreciate you girls liking me. Here's a virtual hug to all of you.

2 Likes Save    
tedbixby

Flo-is the cropping working for you?

1 Like Save    
lynartist

OMG! Haoyu, why does Houzz feel the need to mess with stuff that isn’t broken! Just went to sketch and went to use it. I often use the color tool. WTH. It hardly works and if that’s not bad enough we’re is the “ back” icon??? I can no longer erase my mistakes!!! It used to be right at the top!! This is such a psin😩🤯🤯🥵🤬

Save    
lynartist

I have to tap on the eye dropper icon a half dozen times before it works!!! This always worked fine when choosing a color! WTH🤯

Save    
Eyal Silberman

@lynartist Hey Lyn,

Regarding the undo button - please update to the latest version, it was an issue introduced by an unrelated change to the sketch tool, and it is fixed in the latest version.

Regarding the color selection - I don't see this issue in the latest version, please update if you still experience it after updating.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Hmmm, Eyal, I am updated... I will try deleting and reinstalling to see if that helps. Thanks for your prompt reply; always appreciated!

Save    
Eyal Silberman

@lynartist when you go to the app store into Houzz, below the "What's New" title, you have a text saying: "Version xxx". What is xxx for you? If it is 20.5.12, then that is the latest update. Otherwise, it will be taking a day or two and you will get that update, which hopefully will fix the issues you described. I am sorry for your inconvenience!

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Just reinstalled and it seems a bit better. The “ back” icon is returned! The eye dropper still sticks but I can live with that!

Save    
Eyal Silberman

@lynartist I will try testing the eye dropper, I hope that I manage to find the issue you describe.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Thanks Eyal👍🏻

2 Likes Save    
Molly

Lyn what number is the version you downloaded?

Save    
lynartist

20.5.12 which is what I thought I had before Molly😳

Save    
shwshw

Eyal Silberman, I wrote software for many years. I feel your pain. And only other programmers understand how something that was working stops working when you fix something else. You guys a doing a great job!

3 Likes Save    
lynartist

It’s so very nice and appropriated that they check in with us though isn’t it‼️ we really do love that♥️

5 Likes Save    
lynartist

I know I typed appreciated 😂

2 Likes Save    
lynartist

Oh geez! This is a very weird new problem! I’m on the app and a previous post on a thread will just mysteriously pop up on a new post! Out of the blue no less! It’s like it’s been saved in some secret place just waiting to reappear 🙄‼️ very strange indeed!

Save    
tedbixby

You just never know what will (or won't) pop up on Houzz- very strange indeed!

magician rabbit out of hat - Google Search · More Info

3 Likes Save    
Molly

Lol Ted 😂

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Glitchy lately on the app! On some posts my previous comments stay after they have already been posted and show up when I go to “ post comments “ . Previous comments sometimes repost without me even being there😩

Save    
lynartist

I can go to a thread I haven’t Bennet to for awhile, tap on “ write a comment “ and an old comment will pop up! If I don’t delete it it will post! If it don’t notice it will be added to the new comment 🤬

Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- Might want to check out this thread as there are a couple of post in the discussion regarding a possible Houzz issue when commenting

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5923157/jan-please-explain

1 Like Save    
lynartist

I went to that thread Ted and tried to comment but couldn’t! For some reason I can’t access garden web from my phone app and it drives me crazy! So many more discussions I would rather be on there than here!!!

Save    
tedbixby

Hmm, interesting Lynn as I don't pay attention when I go back and forth between "here" and Garden Web so I wonder if some of the issues I come across are only happening on one, not the other. I'll have to be more mindful of that. I didn't even know that thread I posted was on Garden Web. I can't believe all the issues you have with the app! Happy Memorial Day. Are you in FL still?

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Yes Ted we are. We aren’t going to RI this summer as the virus is so bad in NE and my husband is elderly and not in the best of health. It seems prudent to wait and see as traveling right now may be a risk not worth taking! I hope you and yours are staying well and healthy.

Save    
tedbixby

Sounds like you made a wise decision to stay put, Lynn. We have no desire to go anywhere and I even have to be dragged to go to the grocery store. I had contractors lined up to start our big renovation but have told them that it's a no go until this virus thing is long gone. I would being going crazy with people in my home not knowing how well or sick they are! Though I am trying to figure out if I can get a pool built this summer as if I'm going to be stuck, I might as well make myself feel like I'm at a resort-lol.. though in reality I know it isn't going to happen but it is nice to dream..

1 Like Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @lynartist, just try to help the issue here, do you mean you can't find or open the garden web discussion inside the app? Could you give an example of garden web discussion that you have difficulty to open in the app?

Thanks for @tedbixby reporting the issue -- it seems like an app issue too, which might be related to saved comment function released earlier. I had brought it up to the mobile team and see what they could do here.

Thanks everyone, happy memorial day, and stay healthy!

1 Like Save    
ladma

Ted, I just read an article in the Boston Globe, it’s a long wait to get a pool installed, everyone has the same idea. Backyard play sets have a long wait, too. I’m glad I put my pool in 20 years ago.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

We have a pool here in Fla but we do need to do some Reno on the lanai and the marcite on the pool is showing it’s age! I guess it may be a good year to do it!

Save    
lynartist

Hi Haoyu, I can’t find or access gardenweb from the app! I was able to comment on the thread Ted posted because I taped on his link.

Save    
lynartist

Sorry, tapped 😂

Save    
lynartist

Ted, you probably should have started your pool project a couple months ago if you were hoping to enjoy it before the summer is over😂

Save    
Molly

Time for a hot tub Ted. 😉

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

My partner keeps saying "hot tub". too but myself being a swimmer ( which I usually do at the Senior Center and who knows when that will ever open again) it's kind of hard to do in a hot tub. I'm looking at the swim spas. Have you seen those? Though I want mine in a building which leads back to contractors- where is Bewitch when you need her?

Save    
lynartist

😂😂😂

Save    
lynartist

I’m always amazed how many people have pools up in NE! The season is so short that by the time the water warms up enough to enjoy it it’s getting cold again!

Save    
Molly

That’s what a heater is for Lyn. 😉. It can get toasty here in the Midwest. It was 91 at my moms house in the suburbs today.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Heaters are very common in Fla for some reason. Not so much in RI! Must be my thin southern blood but I don’t get in a pool unless the water is over 80’😂 which is what mine is now. Wow, Molly, that’s hot already! It’s still cold in RI.

Save    
Molly

Me either, preferably mid 80s for the water! Out temps are supposed to be in the high 60s next weekend. 😕

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Spring in RI is very iffy but has been cold this year. We normally go up the first week of June and it is cold for us but then July hits and it’s hot! Really hot!

Save    
ladma

Lyn, I can only get to garden web via the website, it doesn’t connect thru the app, unless you gave a direct link. We opened the pool last week, water temp was 56°. I have an irrational fear of propane, so my heater is a Rube Goldberg black sump pump hose connected to the return, spread along the length of the patio, and back to drain back into the pool. It’s not pretty, but it gets me 2-3° a day. It tucks away easily if we entertain. That won’t happen this summer, just the grands.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Sigh Ladma, everything is different this year. But this too shall pass and I’m sure we will be stronger for it. I’m hoping you soon get get hot days so you can enjoy your lovely pool!

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

It's suppose to be 88 here today which probably means 90 which is really crazy as we had snow 2 weeks ago! I swim at the Senior Center as their pool is kept at a tropical 87 degrees. Though it does get a bit warm as I swim but sure feels great when I start. Ladma, interesting system you have there for a heater. When I lived in AZ, all the snowbirds would move into their homes and heat their pool but when they got their first bill of $500. or more for a months worth of heat, the heater would be turned off until the grandkids came. Lot of pools out there are just a large decorative water feature-lol.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

😂 I don’t have a heater so wait until this time of the year to enjoy the pool! People wrongly think it’s hot in Fla all year and the pools are therefore useable! Wrong. It gets cold here too and quite so at night and although we do have lots of nice warm sunny days that pool can be freezing! Heating it with electric is$$$! Of course you can do solar panels here but it’s slower and you need a pool blanket at night to not loose what you gained during the day😂

Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- here is another thread that has a side discussion regarding Houzz issues posters are having.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5924121/tile-guru-needed

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Problems with speed of loading and working with sketch. Had to reboot twice today. Deleted Houzz and reinstalled. Still a problem. When you go to the "heart" on the bottom menu of the iPhone app, you get green dots or nothing and it won't load up. Or it takes over 60 seconds. Then the cropping isn't working well, so that's a problem, again. So frustrating.

1 Like Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @Flo Mangan, could you submit a help request on the sketch tool issue? Help request link. I wish I could know what it's going on, but unfortunately, it's not part of my area for now. If you don't get help for a while and issue persists, then let me try to directly reach out to the related team. Thanks!

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Thanks - will do.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Done

2 Likes Save    
tedbixby

Why is the comment box at the top of all the comments? You have to go to the bottom of the page and scroll up to read the comments in order. Also, Sponsored Products are at the top rather than following the More Discussion. This new format is not user friendly if this is the way the page will be going forward.

2 Likes Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @tedbixby, thanks for the feedback! This is part of the tests we are running.

For the position of the input box, if you see it's on the top, you will also notice it's sorting from new to old and have provided new sort option for oldest first. We assume for most commenters they might already have good context of the thread and only need to check the most recent comments without scrolling down too much.

Specifically for your feedback, not sure if you are aware of the arrow on the right bottom corner. When you scroll down a lot and would like to go back for commenting, you could always go back to the top by clicking it:

I agree the ads move might not be ideal if users want to see more questions without scrolling. It's a test and will see how it performs overall.

Really appreciate your quick feedback :) , we started the test last night.

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

" We assume for most commenters they might already have good context of the thread and only need to check the most recent comments without scrolling down too much. " Well, not from my experience. I see many threads where it has been going on for awhile and new people are jumping in. You have some that will only read a few comments, the ones that don't read any comments as you can tell by their comment and then there are others like me, that will get involved in a thread but will take the time to read through all of it to get a better understanding of what the OP wants and what has been offered. I just don't see the benefit of changing this as it is not making it easier. Side note- if you get a thread that picks up steam and you initially commented but don't get back to it for a few hours or even a day or two, you still have to read all the comments since your last post if you want to be well informed. Since I don't use a phone, is this how it is done on the app? Comment box at top and you start at the bottom and read upward?

"When you scroll down a lot and would like to go back for commenting, you could always go back to the top by clicking it:" Not quiet sure how that is a benefit. The arrow takes you directly to the top and if I'm having to read the thread starting at the at or near the bottom and upwards to keep the comments in order I can't figure out why I would use the arrow, unless I am tired of reading the comments?

It's kind of wacky how the comment box is at the top of the page and then when you want to go to More Discussion from the box, you have to scroll down to get to it. When the Comment box was at the bottom, you could easily go over to the lower right side arrow to take you up which was beneficial if the thread was long.

Maybe if this is going to be the new format, flip the Related with the More Discussions. I think the Related tends to just activate old threads that commenters don't realize is an old thread. People do activate old threads if they have a question regarding what is being discussed in the past but I often see ones that are making suggestions to the OP post and the thread is 3-5 (or older) yrs old and hasn't been active in years. Might be better to put the More Discussion at the top but I understand the reasoning why Houzz has moved Sponsored Product up there instead.

The Houzz banner info at the bottom of the page covers over most of the More Discussion threads being shown if you scroll to far. This wasn't an issue before.

I also noted earlier the Newest/Oldest sort but in all the years I've been on Houzz, I have never thought I wish this was a feature as the way I navigate around a thread I don't see myself ever using it. Would be interesting to hear from others on this and give me some insight how this could benefit my experience on Houzz.

I can appreciate the teams efforts on making improvements but don't quite understand why new "improvements" are being made when there are still plenty of old "improvements" issues still going on. And have you heard anything if the Sketch Tool will return for the PC?

Thanks Haoyu. Really appreciate your time here as it gives us end users hope rather than despair.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

I am still mourning the loss of the double tap that shot us down to the end of the thread! Of course nothing is as it used to be😢

2 Likes Save    
Molly

Me too Lyn!

1 Like Save    
ngcurt

I sure miss that double tap!

1 Like Save    
PRO
Design Interior South

From someone who has smaller and smaller windows of time when they come to this site, having to search through a sea of comments just to find the comment bar somewhere in the middle of them and then try to figure out where the last comment is vs first comment etc, it is becoming less and less appealing to even try anymore. Which means not even coming on at all. I have spoken to two other people who used to be frequent visitors here and were very active on the boards and they have left because they don't want the headache anymoretI if the goal of Houzz is to lose participants then they're doing a smashing good job of it.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

I hear you Design Interior South. Many of us have been here for years and have withstood so many function changes. What used to be a simple and user friendly site has become fraught with glitches and round about ways of getting to were we used to go😏 . The frustration is palpable! I sometimes lurk and wonder” were has everyone gone?” So many have left😢

2 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

Houzz, please put the threads on Hot Topics back the way they were. I read from top to bottom like a normal person does.

Also half way through my session tonight it stopped accepting my “likes”.

2 Likes Save    
tedbixby

Lynn- on the app, do you read the comments from the bottom to the top? If so, is this something that just started or has this always the way it has been.

Save    
lynartist

New comments load on the bottom Ted.

Save    
lynartist

Been this way for a long time now😢

Save    
tedbixby

So you read like the "old" way on the PC from top to bottom to get to the new comments. Do you have to go through all the comments from the very start or are there only "x" amount shown on the page? Like on the PC there are only "X" amount and if you want to see more than you can hit another button to go to the older comments. Is the comment box at the top?

Save    
lynartist

It’s been screwed up for some time! You have to scroll up to read previous comments and it only goes so far. You can go to the original post and hit on all other comments to continue scrolling but you have to leave and come back to do it because the header isn’t accessible when you are posting!

Save    
lynartist

This is does not show up unless you leave and come back!

Save    
lynartist

So if you come back and hit recent comments you can see all of them. You used to be able to double tap and it would shoot you down to the bottom of the page. That’s gone!

Save    
lynartist

Not so user friendly 🙄

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Just saw a new version is up on iPhone app page. What version is this? I am not installing until I know more.

Save    
lynartist

😂😂😂

Save    
tedbixby

The app sounds more of a mess than the PC version! I went on Houzz this week-end with an open mind in using the new "format" but just found it too frustrating to read from the bottom up and ended up hardly spending any time compared to what I've been. You have the patience of a Saint, Lynn (and others), for dealing with this app mess for so long.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

If that’s not bad enough, my last comments are showing up in the comments box and have to be X Ed out before I can make a new comment!

Save    
lynartist

One of the reasons I’m not on Houzz that much anymore!

Save    
tedbixby

I hear you, Lynn. If this reading bottom to up is going to stay and with no Sketch Tool it will finally give me pause as to whether I want to spend anymore time on Houzz. It's becoming less and less user friendly for the Dilemma's. I can find better things to do with my "free" time rather than being aggravated.

2 Likes Save    
marrymaid

Just wondering why they keep trying to change a good thing and not fix the mess?

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Last night I got on my desktop and onto Houzz and tried “like” button. Would not work. Use search engine chrome and others. I tried entering problem here from desktop no luck. I am on my iPhone Houzz app now. Let see if I can post.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I just deleted Houzz app on my iPhone and reinstalled and the one posting shows. This is so nuts.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I now have version 20.5.26 on iPhone.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Oh geez😳

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Can’t do anything on desktop.

Save    
tedbixby

Hayou- you and the team might have an interest in this thread.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5929889/houzz-new-reading-format#25599916

1 Like Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @tedbixby, thanks for forwarding and just replied in that thread. And also, FYI, we also bring the more-discussions back to the higher position of the sidebar. I agree with you that it would offer more useful content for views by looking at the more-discussions part.

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

Hi Haoyu, Thanks for replying on that other thread, too. And thank the team for putting the More Discussions at the higher position on the side bar.

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Haoyu. I cannot do anything on my desktop with Houzz. No “submit” button. Input line keeps running without submittal. But I can’t submit anything. Can’t select from Ideabooks and post. Just won’t work. So I am limited to IPhone app. Can you look into this? I have done several reboots etc. no luck.

Save    
lindacottonwood

Flo

I can do everything on my desktop. What browser are you using.? I use Chrome.

I do not know if that makes a difference.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

lindacottonwood - thanks, I switched to Chrome from Microsoft Edge, but I have no idea how things changed. Anyway, I am now at least functional with my son's help. The Chrome has everything upside down, so I have to adjust to that, but at least I can type with speed on desk top as opposed to my iphone!! So Thanks!

2 Likes Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @Flo Mangan, I am glad the switching resolved your issues. Just for the better understanding issue here, do you mean you can't find the submit button on the discussion page? Is there any other place having the same issue? Besides that, what browser are you using? It would help us to replicate and resolve the issue completely, thanks!

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I don’t know exactly what happened. I have used Microsoft browser for a long time. No issues. For some unknown reason I couldn’t get Houzz to work on it. I changed to Chrome and was able to get Houzz working on my desktop. I don’t like the format but it works. Having the comment line at top is a pain. Even if you reverse order, it isn’t normal. No time right now to go further with Houzz issues. I have had no response to my official submittal of a couple weeks ago.

Save    
tedbixby

What's crazy is that with the Newest comments being at the beginning, that I have to still scroll down to see the ones that have been posted since the last time I was on and then I have to still scroll up to read all those in order. So much easier to scroll down to the last comment I read and then continue down, with Comment Box at the bottom. And if I go to the Oldest, it goes to the very beginning date of the thread which some times is way too long to do that. Sorry Haoyu but I haven't heard anyone happy with the Newest comments at the top. And if there are, I'm guessing they may be in the minority.

Could you explain why Houzz has shorten the comment and added the Read On button if a comment is too long. I haven't figured out the advantage to that so am just wondering the thought process behind that change.

2 Likes Save    
tedbixby

So here is an issue I'm running into with the new Read More button. If the OP post photos in the thread but makes a long comment with them, the photos don't show unless you hit the Read More button. The problem is that when having to refer to these photos on-going to help the OP, you have to keep hunting to find them as they get lost among all the other comments since you don't see them. And if there are multiple post that have Read On then you have to keep hitting all the Read More buttons until you find the set of photos you are looking for. Before you could just scroll and see them. Now you have to continue to read the same comments in order to find the photos and it's even worse if you don't get back to the thread for awhile. I'm cringing every time I ask an OP to post more photos of the dilemma. This is not a user friendly addition.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Oh geez! I’m still having the problem were my previous posts are showing up in my post a comment area! I have to “x” the comment out before posting a new comment or else it attaches itself to the new comment!

Save    
Molly

That is strange Lyn, I don’t have that problem. Just a thought, but have you cleared your browser history lately?

1 Like Save    
lynartist

This is does not show up unless you leave and come back!yep😩

Save    
Parker Murphy

That is happening to me to Lynn- just on my iPhone.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

See! That just posted and I didn’t notice 😡

Save    
lynartist

Look what popped up on mine! But yes, it happens if you leave and come back. I have tried deleting and reinstalling 😩

Save    
lynartist

Now I’m a little spooked because I didn’t write that!!! We’re did it come from😳

Save    
lynartist

How does this just show up on my screen????

Save    
Molly

There was supposed to be a save draft option in the latest version. I don’t see that on the app, but I wonder if there is a glitch in it? @Eyal Silberman can you help Lyn and Ted?

Save    
lynartist

This happens every time now in the “ write a comment “ box! You can’t even hit a delete button! You have to X it out from your keypad! This is so annoying!

Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Hey Lyn, I hate to interrupt in the midst of this frustration, but I just got my Joes Sticky Stuff and before I use it, wanted to ask if you had any words of wisdom. 😘😎

Save    
lynartist

Hi Seajay! I hope you enjoy it😂. It works great for lots of decorative things especially when around the holidays! I use it when I want to temporarily stick things to may walls etc and I know this won’t leave a mark or residue. It’s good if you have pictures that move on the wall. Just put a bit on the back in the corners. If you have a vase or something that you worry about , use like museum wax. A million uses.

Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Thanks, Lyn. I have command hooks on glass shower wall and the command sticky strips are not working so I’m going to try Joe’s.

Save    
lynartist

Hope it works. Not sure for how long and if they are used for very heavy items though! Worth a try. There are other types of command strips you can buy buy use on glass may be difficult I would think. Let me know if it works.

Save    
ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado

I can't start a new discussion for some reason (this is really starting to frustrate me) but I'm assuming it's related to whatever "update" they are trying to do right now. I have tried to start this as a "new discussion" but it it never showes up on the "board."

For the third or fourth time I have either responded to a topic or written a new topic and although I hit submit and it shows up, the only person it shows up for is me! If I sign out, the comment, that was very much written, submitted, and posted on the thread when I was signed in, doesn't show up at all.

While I am signed in, after I submit and the comment gets posted I go back to the forum and it doesn't show that I posted a comment, the thread doesn't get bumped to the top of the list and icons of recent posters doesn't show me as one of them but if I go into the thread (again, while signed in) there it is! I have tried resubmitting the comment, nothing. I have tried signing out and signing back in and copying the comment, deleting the original, and reposting but that doesn't help.

At least one of our members over at Rocky Mountain Gardening can't even reply at all. They have to start a whole new topic to respond to posts since the comment box isn't showing up?!

What the heck is Houzz up to?!?!

There's an old saying about "if it's not broke, don't fix it." Yeah, whatever is going on "behind the scenes" is really NOT working, AT ALL!

Save    
tedbixby

Zach - any info you can share regarding type of device you are working from, browser, etc will be helpful as different devices are having different issues. And when did your problems start occurring?

Save    

I use my laptop, a Lenovo something-or-other (sticker says intel core i5 7th gen if that means anything) and I use Google Chrome. This probably started about a week or so ago.

Save    
tedbixby

I'm on Chrome and don't have this issue at all so we'll see what others have to say with more technical experience. I hate to say it but it may be your computer's age as though it is hard to believe but older computers get to the point that they can't process new data as the new data is too fast for the old processor or some reason like that per my very technical savvy partner. And I have to believe him as every time I get a new laptop, things tend to be faster and I don't have issues that I was previously having. But let's see what others may offer and I know Haoyu (from Houzz) may have some insight. And I go between Garden Web and Design Dilemma.

1 Like Save    
Molly

ZachS have you tried using the app to see if you have the same issue?

1 Like Save    

Hard to believe that 2 year old computer can't process a web forum, but I dunno. I can tell you a lot about weeds and plants and prairies and birds but I don't know anything about computers. I do know I wont be going out buy a new computer just for gardenweb, so despite having been a member for sometime and gotten to know a lot of local members through our biannual swaps and the like, it will be time to hang up my hat if that is the only solution.

I don't have the app and I only have a work phone so I can't really put apps on it anyways.

2 Likes Save    
lynartist

I’m no help at all as I’m on the phone app and we all know that has its own particular problems!

Save    
Molly

Have you tried using a different browser? Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, etc

Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- If I put a long comment under a photo in my Ideabook and want to delete the comment, the only way, and it is finicky, is to backspace each word. I tried highlighting the entire comment and then hit backspace and then also tried it by hitting delete and neither worked. By backspacing each word, it only allows 2 lines at a time (some times only one) before the comment box closes up to show only a few lines.

Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- I've been working with an OP and without the Sketch Tool being available, she is struggling to make a decision on what rug to purchase. If the Sketch Tool was available this would not be an issue. Please bring back the Sketch Tool.

She just posted this on her Dilemma:

STILL struggling to pick a rug :) but have narrowed it down to a few at least! Is there any simple rendering tools anyone can recommend? Or anyone that would be willing to help me pull some together? I think it would be easier for me to make a decision if I could see it all together - I tried copy and pasting items in paint and it looks so choppy.

Save    
lynartist

I’ll help, we’re youat? Ted

Save    
Molly

@lynartist yesterday I started seeing my previous posts included in my comment box. It doesn't always happen which is weird. @Haoyu Chen is anything being done about this problem?

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Isn’t it weird Molly! You can’t just delete it either; you have to backspace each letter and sometimes it’s a lot!!!

Save    
Molly

Yes it is Lyn! I just hold down my finger on the message until the "select all" option pops up and then you can delete everything at once.

Save    
lynartist

Yikes, didn’t see that! Thanks Molly!

Save    
tedbixby

Thanks Lynn. Her and I have been working off the thread in the IB but what I'll do is put the photos of her fabric swatch, the room and what rugs she is looking at on the Dilemma. Her rug budget is $500. for a 9 x 12. I spoiled her this AM with a $1100. rug which may be making her 2nd guess the $500. rugs we had narrowed it down to. Give me a few minutes to insert the photos.

Here is the thread https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5931646/not-wow-ed-with-design#25637586

Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @lynartist and @Molly, I think right now in the app if you type something in the comment box but not published, it will save as draft in your comment box. Previously, we heard the case where the users want to go back to check the original post, but end up clearing all their unpublished content. That's why we had that feature. But not sure if that's your case. Let me know if anything is unexpected. Thanks!

Save    
lynartist

Nope Haoyu! These are published posts! Happens all the time😩

1 Like Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @tedbixby, I saw you also come across the case where you need to delete the comment. As Molly suggested, you could try to use "select all" and clear it.

For the sketch tool, unfortunately, it has become a premium feature that is only for Pro now. For image editing, I would suggest using other tools in the app, such as Markup on the iPhone.

Back to your question on read-more option, we noticed some of the long individual comments would occupy the whole screen, especially, the ones with lots of images. The intention is to help users to quickly navigate the content fastly.

Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- I'm on a laptop not a phone so I don't know how "select all" applies to a comment written under a photo in the Ideabook. Which is what I'm referring to. And since I'm on a laptop and not a phone, there aren't other Houzz Sketch type tools available to me that I'm aware of. Correct? Extremely disappointed that Houzz took this away.

I understand what you are saying by long individual comments but you can scroll fast through those but if you want to try and find any previous posted photos that are hidden (as most are since the comments usually take up the space in the beginning of the comment) you have to hit the Read More and if you are lucky you find it the 1st time and if not ( more common) you have to go and hit multiple Read More buttons which take more time than just scrolling through the thread and long comment.

Haoyu- did you see Zach's issue posted about 3 days ago?

1 Like Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @lynartist, if it's published comment, then it's a problem...Did you update to the newest app? I tried it but don't see the problem of keeping the published one though. If it still persists with the newest app, I would suggest submitting a help request and put the details (e.g. app version).

1 Like Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @tedbixby, sorry for misunderstanding your questions here.

Getting sketch tool back is not the decision I could impact now😅, but if you need image edit. One way I know is to just use the online cloud tool. Here is one example -- https://www.fotor.com/

For Zach's issue, I was trying to look at earlier, but can't replicate in my local and need to know the exact version of the browsers he is using. Still, I will check out the older version later.

For the text deletion, I tried in my local and it looks fine though (see the gif image http://g.recordit.co/1oPnemptps.gif). Let me know if I miss anything.

Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- No worries. Thanks for getting back so quickly. Yeah, I know about those online cloud tools but for someone that isn't very skilled at using the internet those are a bit of a challenge. Houzz Sketch Tool was so very, very easy to use that it didn't take a learning curve to use it. And half of the wording on these other sites I have no idea what they mean and are telling me what to do. That is why I use to have Assistants do that stuff! What is Pro?

For the text deletion, I'll try again. The text I was deleting under an Ideabook photo was probably 15 lines or more. Where you able to higlight the entire text and it deleted? When I did that, it appeared to but when I hit the refresh button the comment was back. I tried to see the gif imagine but I got a Forbidden Screen. Don't know if that is on your end or mine. Unlike me, my partner is very gifted when it comes to the computer and all it's technology and may have that set up. He may be gifted but he doesn't have the patience to teach me "Sketching." In case you were wondering-lol.

1 Like Save    
KarenS, NYC

FYI: Re: the Upside Down Threads

[paraphrasing from my own thread at C&S forum (I deleted a comment to the Poster who identified the Answer)]

It turns out to be related to whether I access the sites thru GW or Houzz, a function I hadn't observed. Over time, the shortcuts on my laptop all were thru Houzz, which I hadn't noticed. Once pointed out, I only enter thru GW now & voila, problem solved.

I'm guessing this may have been done to better interface w/ SmartPhone apps, but I only use laptop (or desktop at office).

Also, I'm happy to point out, the largely disliked 'Best Answer' feature appears to have been abandoned. Yippee!!! Thank you Houzz!

Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @KarenS, NYC, thanks for your feedback. "Best Answer" is not an ideal experience so far but it hasn't been abandoned. For now, for discussion with less than 5 answers, it wouldn't be shown. We are still working on further updates.

Also cc @tedbixby, right now there will be a "Write a comment" at the bottom (if you saw the sort option in browser). By clicking it, it will bring you to the input box on the top. Besides, the read-more option would only be shown only when the content is long enough (the threshold has been updated). Please let me know if you have any further feedback!

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- Is there any way to eliminate an Ideabook that is someone else's but they put it in mine and I don't want it. It doesn't even say whose IB it is. Just figured out I have to go to the upper left hand corner and hit Profile ( what a pain, all these extra steps.) A few years back someone did this and I just deleted it (as I was able to) thinking that I was deleting in my IB only but discovered I completely deleted it out of the person and everyone else's that she put it in. I don't want to do that again! But I don't even see that option if some one adds it to your IB. https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/102110004/list/kitchen

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- When I click on a photo that is in any of my Ideabooks, often the photo is not being shown in its entirety. I haven't noticed this until tonight .

Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @tedbixby, you are right. Right now the image is zoomed in a bit in default. This feature was firstly introduced in the app and recently applied to the web version. Based on the experiment, it appears most people like seeing the bigger images (when it's being zoomed in).

For the issue of deleting ideabook, it does seem not to provide the ability to leave the ideabook if you are in viewer access on ideabook shared by others. I agree it's a valid need to leave any ideabook users are shared with. Let me check with the team for that. Always, thanks for reporting!

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

Hi Haoyu- Regarding the Zoom, the problem seems to have taken care of itself as it is back to the old way. When I click on the photo and it goes larger I'm now seeing the photo in it's entirety where before the issue was that only a small portion of it would show but be enlarged so that non of the rest of the photo appeared nor could you move the photo around to see it all. So as long as it stays as it is now, it won't be an issue. Thanks for getting back on it and about deleting IB from others.

1 Like Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @tedbixby, it turns out I missed the option. Right now users could leave any shared ideabooks they are in. You need to go to collaborator settings. How?

1) Click the profile image on the upper right corner of ideabook page.

2) See the collaborator setting, click the dropdown, and choose "Remove User" (See screenshot below).

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Hmmm, I have never seen the collaborator setting on the app. Still don’t! Apparently we don’t have this option?

Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- Okey dokey. That worked but since you missed that option, too, I think you agree that you have to spend some time hunting that down if you weren't aware of it.

Save    
Haoyu Chen

@tedbixby Yep, it's true it should be easier to be found.

@lynartist Right now it looks like on mobile, if you are viewer access, you can't leave the ideabook.

Message to anyone: Emily just posted two polls today. One is about sorting option while another one new feature proposals. Feel free to add your input there. That would help us have better insight on what we should work on next. Thanks! :)

1. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5941135/poll-what-comment-order-do-you-prefer-in-houzz-discussions

2. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5941139/poll-what-feature-would-you-like-to-see-most-in-discussions-on-houzz

2 Likes Save    
lynartist

Thank you Haoyu.

Save    
Haoyu Chen

Message for All: Quick feature updates on the browse version:

1) "Original Author" tag has been added near the user profile. Now you don't need to go back to the top check the name of OP.

2) "Your activity" tab was added to the main discussion page, where you could find the links on "Your posts" (discussions started by you) and "Your Comments".

2 Likes Save    
tedbixby

Hi Haoyu- I noticed the Original Author tag earlier today. I never thought of needing that but I think it will help when scrolling for a particular comment from the OP. Also, am I correct to think that the Follow box was recently added?

Is the IT Dept getting good ideas from all the comments on Emily's poll?

Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @tedbixby, Good catch!

Yep, the follow button is still under test. In another word, it will not be available for everyone yet. Earlier I noticed some users tried to follow a discussion by adding "Following" as a comment. It proves the need for following without interacting with the current thread.

For the original tag, personally I used to go to the top of the discussion in order to check and remember who the original author is, and then came back to the comment list.

Those ideas have been there before we start the poll. The user feedbacks enforce our confidence and add higher priorities to those features most users care most. We are trying to focus our resources on the real problems of user experience. We did haven't thought through on the comment sort one, but there is an on-going effort to get it right this time. So really appreciate your feedback and patience here!

2 Likes Save    
tedbixby

That Follow button is great. And there are a lot of users that do just "follow" so it will be nice for them to be able to just follow by clicking on the button.

I would suggest that on Emily's recent polls that you or someone from Houzz post these changes as they happen. If the changes don't apply to all devices, let us know that in the comment. I think being acknowledged that changes that are being suggested (even if they were in the pipeline) will make the community feel that they are being heard and it will be appreciated. Plus, if there are any issues that happen while we are beta testing it ( lol) we can let Houzz know.

4 Likes Save    
lynartist

Good idea Ted! I’m not sure how many people lurk over here so the more that are aware the better! I have been checking over on Emily’s posts and so many of the same issues are being discussed there as well as here!

1 Like Save    
Haoyu Chen

Yep @tedbixby and @lynartist, I totally agree it's good to keep users posted on what we have done. Besides replying to the message, one thing we were thinking is to have pinned content. One use case is to announce the feature updates there.

2 Likes Save    
tedbixby

I like the idea of having the ability to go to a place on Houzz that shows up-dates. But some how it would have to allow for comments which, hopefully, would prevent new threads on Houzz issues from popping up as everyone will be on the same page and sharing their thoughts and if the changes are working. I even wonder if you break it down based on the device rather than all devices grouped together. As even here it can get a bit confusing as to what device is having the issue. Since I live in the dark ages I'm not familiar with how pinning works but if it is a case where it is simple to get to and use, I'm on board.

3 Likes Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- something new this morning and not sure if it is still being tested but when I click the notification threads, it takes me to it but some times it lands on one of my older comments or the OP's or someone else's ( one I just looked at one took me to a comment that said "Following") so then I need to scroll to the latest one posted rather being taken to the last comment.

Also, when I first see a notification thread there is a quick flash of a green box around a comment. The quick highlight of a comment is not making sense as I don't see any pattern as to when it is used.

No need to comment if this is something IT is working on right now as I was going to wait to see if things changed during the day but it is fresh on my mind so thought I'd let you know.

Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @tedbixby, yep, that was a new update. When a user clicks notification or email, the URL supposes to bring the user to the exact potion where the related comment is. The new update is to have its center position without hidden, but also highlight the given comment with a green rectangle for 2s.

For example, if clicking notification about someone likes a comment, you might not know which comment is being liked, the green rectangle is trying to help with that. If any scenarios don't fit the purpose, please let me know!

Save    
Ig222

haoyu

not sure why, but this functionality is not working for me on windows.(and has not got at least one week). when I click on a notification, it brings me on the correct thread, but not to the comment.

As at the same time I am with a display which shows the oldest comments from most recent to oldest, you can imagine the problem as I have no ready way to go to the most recent comments in very long threads.

for example, if I have a 1000 comments where 1 is the oldest and 1000 the most recent, both clicking on the thread and clicking on the notification will show comments 100 to 1 on the screen.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Yikes🙄

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I had to switch from windows(Microsoft) to Chrome to get anything to work. Hate the current last is first at top of thread. So incredibly difficult to handle. Hope that gets fixed.

Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- I'm not liking this business of the URL going to the exact related comment as 1. not sure how the system determines what comment gets chosen for being related since the majority of comments on a thread will be about the dilemma. 2. A chosen comment can be further down in the thread, which I've already read, and I then have to take the time to scroll to the latest one. 3. I've had it go to a comment that all the user posted was "following." 4. Highlighting a Like and that being the comment you land on when you open the notification isn't of benefit. I don't understand why it would be more important to know that someone Liked a comment rather than going directly to the last comment posted. I always have viewed LIKES as a way for people to let the OP know that is a good comment suggestion and should be taken seriously or a way for people that lurk to Like a comment without having to make a comment or a way to acknowledge that comment which often is by the OP. So you end up with a whole Like thread. So to me, highlighting a Like serves no purpose.

I've spent a lot of time on Houzz today to get a feel for this new function. If I'm understanding it correctly, I think this URL direct to a related comment is useless as those that have been actively engaged in the thread have no reason (that I can think of) of the need to be reminded of a a "related" comment and those that haven't been are either going to read all the comments or they are going to just add a comment without reading any, as for reading one related comment is not going to change what they were going to post. As far as the blink of an eye "highlight." That is just annoying.

Should I be looking at this differently ? As of right now, I'd suggest that these 2 functions either need to be revisited by IT or removed. It's just mudding the water.

Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu, I don't know what is going on but very old threads that have not be recently activated by a new comment are showing up in More Discussion. This 8 yr old one showed up today

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/128191/do-you-evaluate-professionals-by-what-you-see-in-houzz-discussions

And though I mentioned this in one of the polls, there are 2 threads right now that are showing up in More Discussion that have 2468 and 13000 comments. I'm not sure the benefit of having those show up (and others with high comment count) in More Discussion as obviously they are getting plenty of help and no one is going to go and read all those comments. And the 2468 British Colonial advise please! thread pretty much shows up daily. It would be more of an advantage if the unanswered ones recycled back to More Discussion. As some times it is just the time of day that affects whether they get any replies or not.

Save    
lynartist

I think they show up as soon as someone posts something on it Ted! The active posts seem to pop up close to the top when they get a lot of action not that they need more😂‼️

1 Like Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @tedbixby, yep, that is an issue on our radar. A test will be introduced next Monday. I totally agree that those long threads shouldn't be recommended to larger audience since it's not related unless you commented on it before. Again, thanks for checking, will keep you posted when there are more updates!

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

I think you are right Lynn. That whole More Discussion section needs further thought put to it. More long threads with 7904 and 664 are showing in More Discussion on my screen right now. Since I last posted here this the 1st time I've been back on Houzz and now I've seen 4 very long threads show up in More Discussions in a matter of 20ish minutes. When I see those long threads I wonder if Houzz is getting any new ones or is everyone just answering those? I'm saying that sarcastically....

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu, was typing my last post while yours showed up about this issue being on the radar. That is good news. Hopefully, it will result with those unanswered post being brought to the forefront.

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- Going to throw this idea out to you regarding Notifications.

That when a Notification shows up that rather than getting multiple individual Notifications every time for the same one that there is only one Notification assigned to that dilemma. The Notification shows up as the OP's heading title, such as KNOCK OUT WALL, and every time someone post to that thread, the notification doesn't say who posts (as does anyone really care?) but instead maybe states the number of comments posted to date and the original date of the thread, and the time the last comment was posted. Notification could read something like this.. KNOCK OUT WALL, original date posted , number of comments to date and time/date when last post was posted, and then followed with the green dot to let you know that it has a current post.

It would make Notifications easier to search if looking for a certain posting and also would make it cleaner looking, easier to read and more informative.

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- No, no, no, no. I was greeted this morning on a thread with the 1st comment being 3 days old because it was "selected" as the TOP ANSWER. And it was a very general comment and added no value to the discussion. And now even this thread has a TOP ANSWER from Flo which is 2 yrs old!! The placement of it being supposedly the newest comment was a bit confusing to me when I read it as I did not note that it was written 2 yrs ago nor noticed it was a Top Answer. And after 2 yrs, how can that be a TOP ANSWER. Are you guys just messing with us and putting any random comment at the TOP and that is why it is called a TOP answer? Because it is at the TOP of the thread?

I have been wondering what others have meant about getting rid of the BEST ANSWER as I had not seen this before. No way is this helpful to anyone and only makes the thread messy and once again adds more unnecessary scrolling up and down the page. As others have said, get rid of it. Sometimes the best way is the simplest way.

1 Like Save    
nidnay

No reflection on Flo (hugs and kisses to you Flo) but this is truly pointless and confusing. Why not stick to getting the basics working properly rather then continually adding new things. Seriously, all the time and energy should be spent on working out the kinks FIRST. This is part of what is so maddening about the site and the app. It takes you all YEARS to fix simple glitches and then you spend so much wasted time on fluff. Very frustrating for your users.

1 Like Save    
nidnay

Just wanted to add that from the very beginning when I joined Houzz, I always wondered why email notifications had the “See Comment” link, but it never actually brought one to the comment to which the notification was referring. So IMO, if this actually worked, it would be a massive help.....but it STILL doesn’t link properly BTW....the button/link only takes one to the general thread.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Ditto on both your comments nidnay‼️

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- Have you and IT actually spent any time on what one has to go through when you click on a Notification and it takes you to a thread and the up and down scrolling one must do? It's insane. Way too much energy and time spent on getting to the newest comment. Between landing first on a comment that for some unknown reason is suppose to be important enough to get a green flash of light around it and usually is in the middle of the thread so you have to scroll up to get to the newest comment as you aren't taken to the newest one directly and then you remember that the 1st comment is now the TOP ANSWER ,which who really cares, so then you have to scroll back down and in doing so you realize that there are more than 1 new comment since last time you checked so scroll down some more, and then start scrolling up as you read.

If this was my first time on Houzz and this was my experience I would not stay. It is far from user friendly.

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

It is simply horrible. Not sure how much more time I am willing to waste on this site.

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

Flo- I was thinking the same today as I was dealing with that Notification mess and that TOP ANSWER is ridiculous. I got so disgusted with the whole thing that I spent very little time on Houzz today compared to the time I had available to do so. Also, I'm sick of how many very old unactive threads keep showing up in MORE DISCUSSION. Click on those and I find out that more of my time is wasted. It makes me wonder if perhaps the activity for new post are down?

1 Like Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi, @tedbixby and @Flo Mangan could you help me understand what the notification issue was? What are the cases where you expect to receive notifications but not get any?

For more discussion, I made the change which allows most of the users to see questions no older than 1 year. @tedbixby, if you are not in those pilot groups, let me know and I could help with that.

For the comment position, I did notice there is an issue when users click the new comment link from the email and then be redirected to the app. That has been on our list and hopefully gets it done within this week. Let me know if there is any other case where the redirection doesn't work well for you.

For the best answer (top), we are still trying to put the right positions. I agree some of them are not great. The main goal of highlighting one answer is to give those first-time viewers a quick idea of what good response would look like, rather than going over all the comments, which could be hundreds of them. Most of the highlighted ones are selected base on the number of likes and thanks. But the original author could always select the one by themselves. From the data we collected so far, it does show values to those users. At the same time, I understand the confusion and also sometimes the possible low quality. We will make sure it's easy to be ignored for those who are not interested.

I would be more than happy to make the discussion for everyone to use and to see people are getting help from here. Thanks a lot!

Save    
ngcurt

Just FYI, I use an iPad. When I receive an email notification of a comment, if I click the See Comment button, it takes me directly to the comment. One tactic I use to “Follow” a discussion is to just save it in my bookmarks. I can check easily for updates. However, I am more a lurker than the experts that are actively helping others.
I’m wondering if Houzz has considered having a user advisory board, with a small group of users that are made aware of potential enhancements, the specific specs for it, and who get to weigh in on priorities, and agree to test? Probably would need to be composed of people who use different devices because I know the coding can be quite different. Publishing an anticipated enhancement list, but type of device, as well as a list of “fixes” on the list, with projected dates of release, may help houzz and us. Seems like it would be near impossible to deal with all our scattershot comments. I appreciate the interaction, but having run an IT group as part of larger responsibilities in the past, I am often baffled as to how decisions are made and what is on the list.

Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu,

I'm on a laptop and receiving Notifications in not the problem. The issue is after I click on a NOTIFICATION and how unuser friendly it is to get to the newest comment posted since you are taken to some random comment within the thread instead. This is what I spoke about yesterday. So rather than repeating myself, I'll let you reread my comments from yesterday that talks about all the scrolling up and down that one has to do once they are taken from the Notification and to the thread.

"The main goal of highlighting one answer is to give those first-time viewers a quick idea of what good response would look like". When a new viewer doesn't take the time to read the comments you can pretty much tell that they haven't based on their comment, as most of the time it no longer applies to the current conversation or is something that has been said many times already and the OP has already expressed their thoughts about it. It just makes for a longer thread and adds no value And since it lands on an old comment then you have to scroll up through the thread to get to the newest one. And some times the discussion has moved onto another issue the OP has and the TOP ANSWER & Highlighted one makes no sense to the current conversation. If someone is looking to join a thread, they should take the time to understand it totally. Not by one quick TOP ANSWER and a highlighted one.

I'll let you know about whether I want to join the pilot program. A few days ago I would have jumped on board but I'm just getting tired of spending my free time dealing with Houzz IT issues and its functionality when all I want to do is help those with Dilemma's and have a functional site to do so.

Save    
Ig222

The Best answer may be something useful for some types of boards asking for simple information, but for boards as complex as Design Dilemna or House building, which involve long exchange of information between people to actually get an answer, it is silly. More often than not, the likes are to show support for one position or for the OP to thank other people for an interesting answer, but the discussion often evolves as you advance in the thread and therefore, reducing it to a best answer, even if it is a pertinent answer -- which often it is not -- is worthless and even worse, will make people ignore the excellent answers other people can bring.

Yes, I understand sometimes this is a worthwhile feature, but in the houzz forums I go through, it is not. I wonder whether people who make the Houzz forum evolve have ever used the tool themselves.

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Here is example of why this algorithm Houzz has chosen is not helpful. When this arbitrary “best answer” is not helpful or needed. This thread has followed the serious illness of a major contributor on Design Dilemma. I guess it was selected because of the high number of “likes”. And it is 2 months old. Since then the news has been awful and I hope the contributor doesn’t see this. Not good.

2 Likes Save    
lynartist

Omg🥺

Save    
lynartist

I don’t get those on the app! Hoping she’s on the app too😢

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I saw on desktop. Not sure about iPhone!! I'll check. Yes, really awful.

Save    
PRO
Design Interior South

All I know is the comments are so out of whack I can't even figure out the order anymore . To top that I have to scan the thread just to find the comment box.

2 Likes Save    
tedbixby

Yeah, Design Interior South- the work that has to be done to just to figure out what comments are the newest and then jumping over the TOP ANSWER box to get to the New Comment box is just ridiculous. So much extra scrolling and reading with this new process just to find the comments that were posted the last time I was on the thread. So much easier when you could scroll down and find the latest comments at the bottom followed by a comment box. Now I feel like I'm a unhappy rat in a maze.

maze - Google Search · More Info

3 Likes Save    
lynartist

😂‼️

Save    
nidnay

Holy moly this is not rocket science! Other discussion boards don’t have these issues. It’s truly unbelievably simple....why can’t you Houzz guys just copy some of the most popular and uncomplicated discussion boards and call it a day!!

2 Likes Save    
tedbixby

Haoyu- Thank the team for returning the threads to latest comment at the bottom. It is greatly appreciated by the majority.

Do you know why some laptop users are not seeing a Follow button on a Design Dilemma? See latest comments on this discussion-

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5941139/poll-what-feature-would-you-like-to-see-most-in-discussions-on-houzz#25751495

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Yeah. I noticed the change to dilemmas a day or so ago. Yippee! Can I ask how do I get in touch with someone regarding my Trade Program discount codes? Tried leaving vm for call backs but no luck.

Save    
Haoyu Chen

@tedbixby replied, thanks!

@Flo Mangan, did you get your issue resolved? Otherwise, probably send a help request or check with Emily who might help,

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Thanks Haoyu Chen yes I sent several emails and finally got a response yesterday from a person who is helping. Is Houzz trying to end this program? Sure have made it difficult.

Save    
Haoyu Chen

@Flo Mangan Glad someone is helping! I am not familiar with the trade program. As far as I know, it is still available.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

One more question. How do you say your first name phonetically. I can’t quite get it straight. Thanks.

Save    
Haoyu Chen

@Flo Mangan Thanks for asking :) It's from Chinese pinyin. Usually, I would introduce myself by saying "You could call me 'How-you', sounds like `How are you`" 😁

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Thanks. My husband has been to China 26 times in his Corporate career. He had the pronunciation just about right. Good to have the proper sounds in my head. I appreciate your assistance on this site.
Flo

1 Like Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @lynartist and other app users, recently we fixed a long time issue in which clicking link in new comment email wouldn't bring you to that new comment. Now it should scroll to the right position without requiring any further scroll. Please let me know if anything is not expected, thanks!

3 Likes Save    
lynartist

Thank you Haoyu Chen! We so do appreciate you checking in on this thread and keeping us updated! Your the best!😊

3 Likes Save    
Molly

Yay, THANK YOU!

1 Like Save    
ngcurt

Thank you, it works!

1 Like Save    
nidnay

It does work, but not 100%. There are some emails I checked and even though the comments are still in the thread, clicking on the link did not bring me to the comment but instead to the beginning of the thread. These were emails from several weeks ago.

1 Like Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @nidnay, it's possible that the comment you are looking for is not in the first view and you have to click "See more" to find it, Right now the automatic scrolling could only work for those comments on the screen (without clicking see more).

1 Like Save    
nidnay

@Haoyu Chen ....correct...the comment is in the “see more” section.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Haoyu - we have a big problem on a Design Dilemma that needs attention ASAP. There is a thread I and other have been participating on, along with many observers and there is a poster who has come on and created a terrible accusation about the poster who is a darling, hard working poster. She has left the dilemma and this is so sad. This is "cyber bulling" and it must be stopped. I have flagged it as "inappropropriate" and it is surely harrassment. The name of the Dilemma is "British Colonial Advice Please!!" by pljnco1 The poster who is harrassing's Houzz id is "dallasannie". Please help us stop this. Thanks! Let me know who else I should contact.

Save    
Haoyu Chen

Hi @Flo Mangan, sorry to hear the experience of pljnco1. It's sad to see that the original poster seems to delete her account already...It's amazing that that discussion has 2.8K comments within just 2 months. When it comes to flagged content, usually Emily would check it (just at @Emily H for her reference), this is the original post link -- https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5909706/british-colonial-advice-please

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Thanks. Yes, this poster was extremely active and totally fun to work with. Can Emily get in touch with her and give her my email address? She said in her last post, she was going to reach out to me on email privately so I might hear from her.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Hello Haoyu; for some time now I have been getting notifications on threads that I no longer participate on. Some of these pop up occasionally that are sometimes years old that have been recently commented on ! I find that I am hesitant to even “ like” a comment for fear that my notices will be bombarded with even more additions. I am on the app so I’m not sure if this is a problem on other devices but try as I might I cannot find a way to delete these unwanted thread notifications permanently!

Save    
lynartist

It is sometimes hard to sift through all the notices I’m interested in and the many I’m not!

Save    
tedbixby

Hi Lynn! On the bottom of each thread on my laptop Houzz has a line that says "Click to switch off email notifications about new comments." The funny thing is that I don't know why it says email as it opts me out of any notifications that show up on my Houzz notification page. Perhaps for the app, Houzz needs to offer the same "click." And there sure has been an abundance of old threads being renewed of late. And part of it is I think because the newbies don't realize they are old based on the comments that are being made on each thread and are picking them up off of the Related Discussions.

2 Likes Save    
lynartist

There is that option on the app too Ted. You have to search for it though! It is hidden within your profile page behind an icon! The problem being even if you decide to switch off some of the options they give you it doesn’t allow for you to receive notifications on the current threads you want and to permanently delete the ones you don’t want!

Save    
lynartist

I’m getting notifications from threads that are 4 years old🙄

Save    
tedbixby

That's crazy ! You better find your cord- less problems-lol... Did you leave FL for the summer?

Save    
lynartist

😂found the cord; never used the I-pad! Hated it! We are in Fla! Holed up like we are under house arrest 😩! Hope all is well with you!

Save    
tedbixby

Doing well here. Getting A LOT of not so fun projects done but no excuses now not to do them. And the yard has never had so much attention. We are considering purchasing a winter home in TX as one that I like has come up on the market but dang, don't want to mess with Covid risk and the house is too $$ to buy sight unseen. And unfortunately, homes are still selling so can't necessarily take a back seat to waiting this virus out. So trying to decide what to do. I guess in the meantime I can decorate it in my mind and if it doesn't come a reality, I had some nice dreams about it-lol.

I don't know if you saw this thread but you are always good at fabrics so thought of you

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5963686/help-in-choosing-coordinating-upholstery-fabric-for-a-sofa

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Hey Ted, if you are looking anywhere in the Greater Houston area of Texas, I could make a visit for you! Just let me know.

Save    
lynartist

Traveling right now is really not on our agenda! I can understand your hesitation but hopefully soon! I know how much you love to travel. I just checked out that thread; a Baker sofa ; at that price point on fabric.... I thought you knew me😂

Save    
tedbixby

Ha-ha- Lynn. Aren't up to a challenge-lol.. We are going crazy not being able to travel so energy has been put into house hunting on-line. And ghezz, many times looking at these houses I think I'm on Houzz as they need so much help. Even in the big ol' expensive ones! I thought we'd be working on our big house reno right now but each enthusiastic builder we think we are hiring as they say they want the job and will get back with me with an idea of pricing goes MIA. And I'm not willing to chase them down as I feel if they can't communicate with me then I don't want them for the project. I think the builders would rather have an easier project as a new build rather than a big reno even though my reno I know is going to be $$$$. Just tell me that instead of going MIA, right?

Thanks for the offer Flo. We are looking in Georgetown which I knows is a ways from Houston. If this house is meant to be, we will find ourselves down there checking it out. Is the Covid mess in Houston as bad as the media is saying? Are you hunkering down? I never imagined that a fun day would be a day of only going to Costco!

1 Like Save    
lynartist

You always do such a beautiful; high end job with your home projects Ted. Maybe Contractors are having a hard time sourcing things in a timely manner these days! I know there is a lot of multi million $$$ construction projects going on up in our neck of the woods in RI but that’s nothing new.

Save    
lynartist

I don’t know anyone here who has gotten sick but that doesn’t mean anything! I go to the grocery store and back😂‼️

Save    
ladma

Mr was talking with a local rep at the local lumber yard. there is a wood shortage, can't get any pressure treated lumber. we bought a few lengths of mahogany to redo the front steps. we've been hunkered down here in MA. so far it seems to be paying off, our positivity rate is less than 2, and my little town hasn't had a case since April. But my son in laws uncle has been on the ICU for 3 weeks, with about every complication this disease can offer. He's only in his middle 50s.

2 Likes Save    
tedbixby

I haven't even moved onto picking things out for the builder yet! I do a walk through with them and discuss what I'm looking to do which is almost deconstructing the house, give them the architects plans and tell them that I'm flexible as far as time. They tell me they want the job and will get back to me shortly with initial cost and some options. I know it is a big project and may take more time than "shortly". The current builder has been MIA for 6 weeks without a peep. I'm giving him through next week and then going to call him. As if he isn't interested I want to know why he was and no longer is. I told my partner today that to get a builder, we may just have to tear the house down and start new. We've been shopping for a new home in this area but haven't found a single house that sings to us. The funny thing is that a builder lives right next door to us but we saw him build his own house and that was not a pretty site!!

1 Like Save    
lynartist

That’s a shame Ladma! I hope he gets better soon! My DIL works at the VA in Tampa; they had almost no cases for the first few months but have quite a few now. She says there is no telling with this. She has seen older people with many health problems get through it fine and younger people with no problems struggling. She feels this has mutated and become less deadly but more transmittable. A virus that wants to live so to speak. I worry when I see pics of the beach up in RI! Packed with cars and people! SMH

1 Like Save    
lynartist

If it’s the house you had Ted it’s already beautiful!

Save    
tedbixby

Yes, it is that house. On the surface it is great but.... too bad I have such world problems-lol...

1 Like Save    
lynartist

😂 now that I’m spending so much time in mine I’m wanting to gut it!

Save    
Molly

Lyn that is funny. 😂. We had the same instinct to redo things in March/April.

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

I hear you, Lynn! Good luck with finding a contractor-lol. I want to do an indoor pool addition and 3 pool companies told me 12-18 month wait. A year ago I could have called any of them and they would have started the next day and at a LOT less cost. Houses with pools on the market weren't too popular before Covid-19 and now they are selling like hotcakes.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

We have a pool but I need to do a lot of work on my lanai and deck and Pool cage. I’m not looking forward to starting that now that we are in the middle of the rainy season😬

Save    
tedbixby

Ok Lynn just rub it in that you have a pool while I don't! The only reason why I want a pool is that it is where I do my major fitness, not for fun, and all the indoor pools have been closed since March and it doesn't look like they are going to open any time soon. But now I'm thinking that the way things have been going finding a contractor, that Covid-19 may be a thing of the past by the time the contractor is on board and I won't need my personal pool! And the outdoor public pools are jammed with kiddies- no thanks!

1 Like Save    
lynartist

I just had this railing put in last week. For some reason this pool never had one and I do think it looked better without it but it was too hard for my husband to get in and out without it. I was surprised how much it cost! Sigh... like everything today!

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Ted yes, Georgetown is probably a 4 hour drive from us. No the Covid is not as bad as media and frankly the statistics are impossible to follow. They change from day to day in dramatic ways. So they dropped hospitalizations in our county by 1800 in one day. I go by what my friends who work in medical community. Basically a combination of getting patients that need medical procedures scheduled and in and young people who partied hard. So we are being careful and staying out of busy places. We wear masks but because of our corporate work we know the science behind their efficacy we know it has limited value. But gives comfort to some. Basically, the way this virus appears to be transmitted is through droplets with the virus from someone with active disease. So we carry on. No problems. So hope you find a great place. Some very interesting history in that part of Texas. A lot of German immigrants settled there and their traditions live on. Fredericksburg is amazing in that regard. Near Rolling Rock the Flea Market capital of Texas! So comon over!!

Save    
ladma

If we’re sharing pools, here’s mine. A basic vinyl liner. If we could get more than 4 months a year out of it, I might have gone fancier.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

Looks pretty fancy to me Ladma! Just beautiful!!! And what a gorgeous yard and day! Enjoy‼️♥️

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

Ladma- I hope you live close by as I'll be coming by soon. I'm so jealous of you and Lynn. 🏊‍♀️🏊‍♀️

2 Likes Save    
Molly

Me too Ted! Our pool opening is still radio silence. I guess that says it all. 😭

Save    
lynartist

Ladma s seems pool is bigger so therefore more conducive to exercising Ted!

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

As long as it isn't a kiddie pool I can make it work Lynn-. Though I'm trying to figure out how to make a kiddie pool work but am afraid the birds will make it a bird bath instead -lol..

1 Like Save    
PRO
Design Interior South

Its interesting how varied the reports on Covid are. We have several family members in the medical field as well as several close friends. Doctors, nurses etc. My friend who is a nurse here said our hospitals are at full capacity. They have had to shuffle patients who need to be ventilated because of having none available. Our friend a doctor in CA reports the same. My nephew in CA who has not gone anywhere except for a store run here and there just got diagnosed with Covid yesterday. Where did he get it? No one knows. My friends father just died of it and my client has two friends on ventilators. None high risk. Its definitely increasing but by how much idk.

Save    
lynartist

I hope you pool dreams come true Ted! I am having terrible problems with Houzz tonight; it just came back online for me after quite awhile. I had to delete it twice!

Save    
Molly

I saw there was a recent update.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

That is so terrible and sad Design Interior South. Are you in Fla? My daughter is in the medical field; she and her husband were tested three weeks ago and still haven’t received the results! A cousin related to me a family member went to get tested, filled out the paperwork, got impatient and left and didn’t get test but got a response a week later that they tested positive! I’m just not going anywhere right now! I don’t know what to think of the #’s ; multiple tests on the same people counted as new cases? I guess it really doesn’t matter. I just wear a mask if I have to go out and pray‼️

Save    
Molly

Pink wow, that is a lot, hope your nephew gets past it quickly. 🤞. Lyn so weird about your family member getting results without being tested!! 🤦‍♀️

1 Like Save    
lynartist

🤦‍♀️well that explains it! Thanks Molly; it seems a lot of people are in “ update hell “ tonight!

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I haven’t updated. Scarier than Covid!

Save    
PRO
Design Interior South

Lyn I am in NC. DH has had to be tested three times due to medical procedures and it was very strict and there were no issues. The stories are crazy!

1 Like Save    
Molly

I have no issues with the update.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

I just don’t pay to much attention to the stats anymore Molly. Another cousin who works for 911 told me that every time someone gets tested it counts as a new case. If the same person gets tested multiple times they are all new cases. If you go for antibody tests; your a new case. I’m not sure how true that is but I gave up looking at the stats!

Save    
lynartist

That’s frightening Design interior South! My husband has medical issues also and I don’t allow him to go anywhere! He had surgery just before this all started so I sympathize with you and wish you both well.

Save    
PRO
Design Interior South

He didn't have a choice a 12MM kidney stone. Took them four tries to get it. But he is good now! Thanks goodness!

2 Likes Save    
lynartist

Yikes! That hurt😩 Thank goodness they finally got it! Such a worry!

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

OMG! That is huge. Poor guy!

1 Like Save    
ladma

Ted, you are welcome to come for a swim, but I’m in Massachusetts, and you’d have to quarantine for 2 weeks first, if you’re not in New England. Sadly my Son in law’s uncle didn’t make it. He passed on Sunday from Covid, his wife and son have both recovered.

I couldn’t connect to Houzz at al last night.

Save    
lynartist

😢very sorry Ladma. My condolences.

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

Ladma- sorry about your S-I-L's uncle and that your family has been affected by this terrible virus in the worst way.

Dang, Massachusetts, huh. It may be closer than FL though for me! Thanks for the offer and who knows some day you may find me at your doorstep.

2 Likes Save    
Molly

I’m so sorry to hear of his passing Ladma. 🙏🏻

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Design Interior South

My condolences Ladma. Just awful.

Its taking me three tries to get a comment to post. I keep getting error messages

2 Likes Save    
tedbixby

I think Houzz is fooling around with the computer system as I've been having issues, too, so it seems it doesn't matter what the device is. Maybe it is a sign for me to get off Houzz today and get some real productive work done-lol..

2 Likes Save    
lynartist

Are you on the app ? If so try deleting it and reinstalling it. I had the same problem last night. The had an upgrade😳😩

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

I restarted my lap top several times and still have the problem.

2 Likes Save    
niccidhg

I am sorry for your family’s loss, Ladma. It is so unfathomable that family members are not able to spend last moments with their loved ones. This is truly such a devastating time in history. ——- Your pool and property look wonderfully relaxing - private and pretty. Spending the day there with your little granddaughter must be heavenly !

2 Likes Save    
lynartist

That’s not good Ted!

Save    
PRO
Design Interior South

I am on a MacBook. I don't use the app. I have always found it to be quite frankly a P>I>T>A>

Save    
lynartist

The app can certainly be challenging at times but it does have its good points too; not the least of being portable😂.

3 Likes Save    
ladma

I'd like the ability to tap to get to the bottom of a tread to come back.

1 Like Save    
lynartist

I do use the sketch tool a lot too; it usually works pretty well.

Save    
tedbixby

Ghezz Lynn, first it's that you have a pool and now you bring up the Sketch tool that is no longer available on the PC and you know how I miss that. Just rub it in and make me feel bad-lol..... naw, you could never make me feel bad you sweet lady. Here is an example of me and technology. I'm using a Samsung phone to take photos of my photos from my albums from my younger days to put them in the cloud. Today I turn on the phone and up pops a blank screen. I turn it off and on a few times (isn't that what you are suppose to do to get something to work?) and then I start grumbling to my partner. Ummm, ok maybe it was more than grumbling and a bit more stronger wording. He looks at it and says "apparently the last time you used it you didn't turn it off and the battery is dead." Oh, that makes sense! But doesn't this show how using a phone could add stress to my life-lol..

1 Like Save    
lynartist

😂Ted, please break down and get a smart phone! We will walk you through it! Your partner is tech savvy, he will walk you through it! No more phone envy😂

Save    
tedbixby

Do you want me to go through a partner divorce? I can't add that stress to me or my partner-lol. Though I probably will get one down the road.... and then I'll be at your doorstep with my phone, bathing suit and mask. 🩲 📞😷

1 Like Save    
lynartist

I’ll hold you to that Ted! My door is open😊

1 Like Save    
ladma

Ted, I'm as technology challenged as they come. I love my iPad, I'm retired so I no longer need a PC. I have an Android smartphone. I will admit Mr set it up for me, but I can do most things. if this old lady can do it, you can! I mostly got the phone so I could easily share pics of the grandkids.

3 Likes Save    
Molly

Ted my mom is 77 and got an iPhone last year and has figured out the basics. You can do it! 🙂

1 Like Save    
PRO
Design Interior South

TED the sketch tool is available. I use it from my laptop. It just takes multiple steps to get it it now!

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

Really? That would be great. I was told it was only available to those signed up as Pro's. I'll go take a look. Thanks for the heads-up.

1 Like Save    
tedbixby

😭😢😭😢 Looks after searching my Ideabook section looks like the sketch tool is only available as a premium for Pro which is what I was told. How stupid as how helpful that would be and had been for me to give a visual to an OP. Also, I was getting more OP's interested in using it on their own if they didn't have a skill set to do it another way. Nothing like offering a helpful tool and then taking it away and making it only available if you sign up as a Pro.

Thanks ladies for you phone encouragement. I think my problem would be the small screen. I really like to study the photos an OP post and I may have an issue with that little screen and seeing all the details. I wonder how many excuses I can make-lol..

Save    
lynartist

Oh goody! Can’t wait to see your mock ups Ted!

Save    
lynartist

We haven’t heard from Haoyu in some time! I hope he is well.

Save    
tedbixby

We've been behaving so well and no complaining so he is probably just lurking. Maybe I should start bitching about not having the sketch tool available to all?? I'm so sick of not being able to show an OP their room visually and be able to show what can be done to take it to the next level and that they don't have to settle with only gray, beige or white and play it safe and boring. But I'm not sick enough to go to a smart phone-lol...