SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bamabayfarm

Okinawa garden design, could use help any input appreciated

Brad Edwards
6 years ago

I wanted to dedicate a garden out of respect for oriental horticulture and picked one we have the most similar climate with that being Okinawa "I am always telling myself don't fight nature". I am in zone 9, very close to 8B and located along the Alabama Gulf Coast. I have added a sago, lemongrass "doing very well", purple fountain grass, and am struck between making it look oriental and just plain tropical. I have black bamboo I just planted along the fence line. It is the last spot in the yard to do and the pics are mid summer and a little overgrown :). Path ideas, I have an old pier wood/pea gravel?

I plan on adding a couple more full size Sagos for free, a dwarf banana,
but am on a large budget. I was wondering if anybody could give me any
ideas about Okinawan design via beachside plantings, etc. The county doesn't take care of the land behind and its a drainage out to the bay so I added a weeping willow and will use the rooting powder and make some more in there as a backdrop and to slow runoff. Some ideas I have I was
thinking of adding a small pond with crawfish off of that behind the azalea and stepping stones to
take some away sand from the worst area fertility wise, est 300$.
Compost for me is very easy to get and I move 2k #'s weekly. I am
planning on building a couple of hypertufa pagodas and running outdoor
christmas solar lights inside candles for the pagodas. Maybe making a Okinawan treehouse with burnt black timbers using the current live oaks? If we ever build a pier this is where it would be. The entry way patio is an Italian garden with olives, rosemary, and a bismark palm. Looking for
specific plants and edibles, especially things that are low growing possibly evergreen huge+ Okinawan origin. Thanks in advance and a picture is worth
1,000 words.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio