SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emcsq

Finishing touches: Backsplash and Pendant Help

emcsq
6 years ago

Several weeks ago, I posted here about replacing Giallo Ornamental with Colonial White Granite.

We had our install last week, and we are very happy with how the granite turned out. Now, we have to figure out what to do about the backsplash. Here is the kitchen and adjoining family room. Our style is transitional, more traditional in the family room. The kitchen ended up being a bit more contemporary due to the handles in the appliances and cabinet pulls.

We have since hung these curtains in the family room and on the slider:

I would eventually like lighter counter stools (maybe seagrass), but these bonded leather stools are a good option now with kids using them on the daily basis.

I think we would like to do something more than a basic subway, but as as I said in my other thread, we are very play-it-safe. We don't want anything too visually stimulating. I have looked at many backsplash options, and I think I have an idea of what colors will work, but I'm not sure where to start in terms of shape and scale of backsplash tile. I saw a designer at an upscale tile shop, and she recommended either a glass subway or a Sonoma Tilemakers subway. I like subway, but I don't want to regret going too safe...but I don't want too busy. I have looked on Houzz and Pinterest for inspiration, but I really do not see many examples of dark cabinets with white granite.

The related question is the glass pendants in the kitchen pics above. Are the shades too traditional for the kitchen? When the lights are off, the glass looks greenish-gray, which actually looks OK with the granite (there are similar colors in the stone), but less OK with the red in the family room. Any other suggestions for lights? We like the look of these, but we aren't sure whether we should stick with glass shades:

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas or advice!

Comments (19)