SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sabrowne1

Am I too picky? Uneven tile and grout

Steven Browne
6 years ago

My shower tile has been installed, and I am concerned about the grout color, grout depth, and evenness of the floor tile itself. Am I too picky, or is this installation not up to par? If it is a bad install, what are the solutions? Is it reasonable to have them rip out the floor and do it again? Can a thin layer of grout be applied on top of the existing to fix the color issue, or does that grout need to be removed too? Any advice would be appreciated!

1. Grout color. The color is blotchy. At first i thought it was because it still needed to dry, but it's been three days now with no change. From what I've read, this can happen from improper mixing and/or too much water in the grout.

2. Shower floor looks and feels uneven. I know they have to slope the floor a little bit to allow it to drain, but the tiles look and feel rather uneven. Is this proper?

3. Related to #2, the grout on the floor is very deep, exposing the sharp edges of the floor tiles. Should the grout be higher? Is that even possible to do with such an uneven laying of tiles?

Comments (4)