SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kateish

Floorplan Feedback - early stages

K Richardson
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are early in the design process of a family home in the mountains in Utah, and I would appreciate feedback on what we have so far.

Our lot has a moderate to steep upward slope, and amazing views to the south (as well as good but lesser views to east and west). The amount of snowfall we get here presents some special challenges: 1. the roof will slope in its entirety to rear / north side of property 2. the driveway needs to be as short and level as possible.

We are a family of three, and may add another child in the future. We enjoy entertaining and cooking and spending time outside.

The style will be mountain modern, and the south side of house will feature nana walls (or something similar) and big windows to take advantage of the view and provide for indoor/outdoor living in the Summer.

I welcome any thoughts you have, but would particularly be grateful for thoughts about:

1. Layout of kitchen (we are not loving the location of the pantry at the moment), and are curious if we add windows on east wall if there will be enough upper cabinets.

2. The spiral staircase. We added it to have easy access to the family room below, but the location seems awkward. I am hoping it can become an architectural feature of the house, not look like an afterthought that we stuffed in where we could.

3. Overall flow between kitchen, dining and great room. The rectangular divider between the dining room and great room is a double-sided fireplace.

4. Master suite. The closets are awkward at the moment, and we are considering closing off the door from the bathroom and just having the closets flow from one to the other, with access from bedroom. I do prefer two separate closets, though. We did intentionally put the master in the back/west corner of the house, because my husband is a pilot and often needs to sleep in the middle of the day.

5. Any way to get the laundry room to the upper level.

6. The front door/foyer (which will be on the lower level) and how to make the entry more inviting.

Note that there is a mudroom with lockers planned between the garage and the foyer, but somehow it disappeared in this iteration.

Thanks, and I hope I've provided enough background info.

Comments (31)