SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shanmel

Large Wall art dilemma

Shane Mel
6 years ago
Large Wall.. Should I use 2 paintings or 1? The wall has 14ft ceilings. If 2, how much spacing in between? Or hold paintings close?

Comments (49)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

first off,,let me just commend you on picking some beautiful art w/color!

now, let me just now comment on the wall color that does NOTHING to enhance those beautiful colors! Use both paintings, properly spaced, but that wall color has to go.

White, pale, pale silver, pale aqua, pale lilac, lavender,,,anything but that griege dreary gray color. It's sucking the life out of those paintings.

Ok,,think I made my point. lol But love the art and room and what you've done, otherwise.

white wall w/gray undertones, above, white wall below. there's a reason art galleries use white for a backdrop

• maureen214
    6 years ago

I would use the one on the left. It is enough

• Related Discussions

My wall art dilemma - again

Q

Comments (6)
    Honestly not a fan of either solution. The first just looks like you ran out of mirrors. The second is far too delicate and scrolly to work with the hard, dark lines of the original. Have you considered getting wall mounted lighting instead of the table lamps? I think this one might be great. The colors in the shade would seem to work in the space, and the square back of the fixture would echo the shape of the mirrors, so look as if they were placed as a part of the design: stacy garcia spice stripe plug in wall lamp
    ...See More

Need advice on Wall Art placement and Size of Art

Q

Comments (16)
    @groveraxle I really, really like your placement of artwork with the four pieces!! Thank you very much for your input!! Would you say that the 2 smaller black and white pieces are 8x10 frames? I'm trying to figure out what size of frames and the 2 larger canvases are, so I can make this look happen! Also, do you happen to know where the floating shelf below the tv can be purchased? Or something similar? You made my morning with your help!!!
    ...See More

Wall art size dilemma

Q

Comments (5)
    I would look for something with a lot of color, that hangs horizontally, and that is no smaller than the width of the bar. You want to fill the wall as much as possible. Don't forget to hang the piece at eye level, leaving enough space between the top of the bar and the bottom of the piece to allow for bottles/glasses, etc., when the bar is in use. You might use a wine bottle on top to see where the bottom of the art would sit.
    ...See More

Wall art dilemma

Q

Comments (2)
    I don’t believe art has to "go" but if you love what you bought you can use them! I would try the horizontal floral above your couch (although it looks like that thermostat is going to be a problem!), a little lower than your horse (lower the horse to line up the bottom with the line of your pass through thingy) and the square floral in the Dining room.
    ...See More
  • jck910
    6 years ago

2 is too much, you cannot appreciate them together

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I like the art. I like the room. Don't like them together. Sorry : !

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

Sorry, but I would not use that art in the dining room, the color and design are too strong, almost violent, and the rest of the room is almost without color, so it really stands out in a glaring way. The second picture shown above with a quieter design with blue tones would look nice in your dining room, and the rectangular shape would really look better on your wall, and is another more calming element.

• Shane Mel
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the input!! This is a kitchen, not formal dining room. My kids and I painted these.
  • phuninthesun
    6 years ago

Love the room and the art is great. It just seems overwhelming for the style of the room.

• Angel 18432
    6 years ago

The furniture looks very formal for the kitchen. What does your dining room furniture look like. Maybe they could be switched. btw great art work.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Shane, nice job! You can totally have an eclectic look if you want to use them together. I still don't care for your wall color tho. you can use them on the wall, just make sure there's nothing else competing w/them.

violent?? lol wth. some people just don't care for 'in your face color'.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Shane, wow impressive that you and your kids did those paintings!!!

I'm wondering if you could do a light glaze over the whole thing to soften it up. Do you have any wall paint left? Just add a tiny bit to glaze. Add a slow dry additive to your pre-mixed glaze so you have time to wipe it off any white parts. Don't freak if it looks flat, it all comes alive again after you do the protective clear coat.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

I love the art!! It's fantastic. It's a nice contrast with your other elements, but I think the chairs are what throws it off for me, too. Could you try your dining room chairs in this room?

I'd see what else you could do to bring in some more color. Maybe slipcovers for these chairs if they stay. I think the pattern/color just doesn't complement the art (or vise versa). Even a neutral unpatterned fabric might be better.

Or maybe just a bold colored accent wall to set them off nicely:

I don't love this wall color, but like the neutral chair covers with the bold art and bold paint.

Notice all the pics that everyone has posted has bright, large modern art, but totally neutral chairs (except that fabulous yellow/green chair Beth posted.

And I'd use both together, close.

• woodteam5
    6 years ago

I agree with BethH, the art is great, but the wall color isn't good with them. And knowing you painted them with your kids, even better. I would change the wall color and keep the art. Hundreds of people have walls that color, but nobody else has that art. Great job.

While it wasn't painted by us, I have a 5'x5' abstract art piece in my dining room on yellow walls and I love it.

• lisaam
    6 years ago

It is terrific that you and the kids did the wildly fun paintings. Before I saw that info, my instinct was to use just one but to rotate it so it is wider (do you know what the artists intention was?) But since you made the pair it is imperative that the be displayed together!

• Boopadaboo
    6 years ago

i would use both for sure!

• amykath
    6 years ago

Your painting are wonderful! I think you need something in the room which pulls out the colors of the art. Are you perhaps open to a new area rug?

If nothing else... maybe if you paint the sides of the paintings black it will nicely frame then and coordinate with the wood on your chairs.

In painting the edges/sides black I mean something like this...

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Here ya go, a quick under five minute top glaze to tone the painting down a tic. Add a bright brass vase with leaves for some mixed metal simple fun. Done. Or, wipe the glaze off the white and yellow bits or just the white before the glaze dries so just that part stays vibrant.

Edited to add: I tried a mock-up with wiping the glaze off the yellow bits to keep that vibrancy and did not like it. I think I like it best with a glaze over all.

AFTER

BEFORE

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

I would not try to tone down an original work of art. On this one it really loses its vibrancy. I know I said that the colors are too strong, etc. but two days later, and knowing you and your children created these paintings, my feelings have changed somewhat. I would say solid colors on the chair upholstery and a rug that picks up at least one of the colors; I'd probably choose turquoise. A bowl on the table in one of the colors of the painting would pull everything together even more. However, if it were me, I'd put these paintings in the living or family room to properly show them off.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Ingrid, a glaze is just sort of paint without color. It's common and acceptable to glaze paintings. One would not have to add as much pigment to the glaze as I did nor does one have to glaze a whole painting. You can just tone down sections. To me it's an option for the Op if he or she does not want to repaint the room or change the upholstery or both.

• Stacey
    6 years ago
    Those paintings are what makes a house a home.
  • Angel 18432
    6 years ago

Shane, anything to say.

• PRO
    BANDD DESIGN
    6 years ago

We recommend using one painting and adding a little blue and yellow to your dining room.

• della70
    6 years ago

They are terrific! Lots of movement, color, excitement! Hang them both because your big wall can handle the space. Great focal point in the room and great family project!

• shwshw
    6 years ago

Following... love the paintings ;-)

• tatts
    6 years ago

Random, pointless splotches of color--probably bought online and mass produced. Suitable for a waiting room, but not for a home. It's too commercial and impersonal.

• Mrs. S
    6 years ago

I think what tatts is saying, is that your art is SO AWESOME, that it might be a good idea to mass-produce it, and sell it! It's that good, and I therefore agree that it is special enough to share with the world. I would put both those fabulous colorful paintings on the wall. They are priceless, and would look great in lots of settings, but the dining room is the place for them. I do like a less-gray background, though, agreeing with some others.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

I think tatts didn't read the post and made some unfortunate comments.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

I would use the two if they are 3 or so feet apart.

Something else in the room should draw from one or two different colors seen in the art.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I think unfortunate is an understatement. ouch.

• Kim KP
    6 years ago

Tatts has a tendency to make unfortunate comments. OP hasn’t commented since 12/14

• Claire Pope
    6 years ago

Those paintings are beautiful and priceless, what a wonderful memory to have.

• woodteam5
    6 years ago

Well tatts, I think you have just showed us all that we should probably read or at least skim all the posts before speaking. (kind of like in life too, oops)

• hatetoshop
    6 years ago

Although Shane hasn't returned, I've got to say that I adore the paintings, together, spaced as they are in the second photo. I love colourful art that makes a statement. Well done!

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

I liked them before I read all the way through the comments. I also am a fan of the second picture spacing. I am impressed that they are "homemade". OP needs the mosaic serving bowl my son has for the center of the table. It has all of the same colors in it as the painting.

Very well done. I don't see anything wrong with the wall color. It is just a neutral and lets the paintings stand out.

• Shane Mel
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Also LOL to tats's comments. These couldn't be more personal. My parents, best friend for over 30years, also helped paint, in addition to my hubby and kids and one of their favorite teachers. Sorry for delay in response y'all!! Thanks again.
  • jb1586
    6 years ago

That menorah is fabulous, by the way!~

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Love the dog menorah!!

• Angel 18432
    6 years ago

Beautiful - you have lovely taste and should do a You tube tutorial so we all can have fabulous personal art in our homes.

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

Tatts, did you enjoy saying that, to be sure, we didn't enjoy reading it. Ever try being positive?

• pandtkendall
    6 years ago

Love them. Glad you didn’t glaze them. It took all the life out of your beautiful work!

• hatetoshop
    6 years ago

I thought the paintings were great, and now the dog! Fabulous!

• shwshw
    6 years ago

Yay!!! Looks wonderful!

• blubird
    6 years ago

It looks fabulous and has lots of personality. Love the room and love the menorah.

• User
    6 years ago

Yowza! How old are the kids that did the painting with you? I love the balance of colors. Is that a Tarkay in the background? Couldn't have a more complimentary art work.

• Elle
    6 years ago

I like the art and like the space but I think the aesthetics of each would be further enhanced if they were independent of each other. I would just get all or part of the painting group to paint one or more canvases scaled to size that include some lighter neutrals, and pass on the two larger boldly colored paintings to a space that has more of a Modern style and is better scaled to their size.

• Angel 18432
    6 years ago

There`s always a Debby Downer - or two.

• hatetoshop
    6 years ago

For anyone interested, a Houzz story on [modern art in a traditional room.[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/opposites-attract-modern-art-in-traditional-rooms-stsetivw-vs~385428)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

Wow! They look even better on the wall, I love them.

• PRO
    OVKO Art & Design
    6 years ago

Lovely pop of color!