SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bridgethunke

Need layout design help with coastal lookout room!

Bridget
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My husband and I are building a new house after knocking down my Mom's decrepit 80 year old shack. It's a beautiful property on the water so we went with a three story coastal cottage design that has this observation room as the top floor. Our goal was to optimize the views as much as possible.

My goal is for this to function as a flex space for both entertaining and guest sleeping overflow. I'd love for it to be a space where family and friends can gather and play board or card games or simply hang out and talk. A bar, either a small wet bar on the wall or a freestanding bar (or a combination of both), is definitely on the wishlist!

One idea I have is to make some kind of built-in bunk space in that area to the left of the stairs. At quick glance it looks like I could fit a twin bunk there and still have a little over 2' of space between the bed and the railing.

The windows around the perimeter are set high -- bottom of window is at 6'-06" and top of window is 8'-00", ceiling height is 9' at walls and goes up to about 12' in the center.

I'm at a bit of a loss for how to arrange this room to meet my needs. And thoughts would be appreciated! I'm also attaching an inspiration image, although the windows in mine will be placed much higher than in this other room (less of a view, but easier for room design!) (Inspiration room courtesy of Geoff Chick, an amazing architect of coastal design in NW Florida)

Comments (42)

• PRO
    KEB Consulting
    6 years ago

As small as the space is, I would suggest keeping any additional accoutrements moveable and/or stow-able. My favorite overflow bed is an airbed. There are some very comfortable double- or queen-sized airbeds available. With airbeds, you can also take advantage of the entire floor space, if needed. And, they can be deflated and kept in the under-seat storage compartments pictured above.

Bridget thanked KEB Consulting
  • Related Discussions

Living room layout & design help needed

Q

Comments (6)
    The problem is obviously all those doorways. However, I would ignore them in terms of placing furniture and put a comfortable chair on each side perpendicular to the sofa. As long as the chair is small enough that you can easily get around it it's not going to matter if it partially obstructs the doorway. You want to have a U-shaped configuration so that as many people as possible can watch TV comfortably. You'll also need side table between the couch and the chairs in addition to a coffee table in order to make the room look furnished and so that people can place their coffee cups, dessert plates etc, somewhere. You might want to see if there's enough room on one side to place a small loveseat which can seat one adult and one child to increase seating. I would strongly consider a large area rug to lend some softness and color to this room which has so many openings with the bare windows and three large doorways. This will make the seating area look more finished and cozy rather than just some haphazardly placed furniture. More pillows would also be a good idea to soften the scheme and give it some cohesiveness, with the pillows picking up some of the colors of the rug. Colorful and interesting wall art would be a necessity to finish off this room, with more furniture (bookcases, desks, a secretary etc.) against the walls.
    ...See More

Design and furniture layout help needed (Living Room)

Q

Comments (5)
    I am looking for decor and furniture layout ideas for the living room. We want to paint it in shades of a warm white. The trim is painted in SW Dover white. The living room faces the north east. We do not get much light. The size is 21x13. I would like to separate the space into 2 areas: one for the piano and a conversation area around the fireplace. But that is not final. My husband suggests to put an L-shaped sectional against one wall. Then place a television on a console table, against the wall that currently has the piano. I think the tv belongs in the basement :) We like the more contemporary style: couches with legs and not bulky. We plan to repaint the dining room and the rest of the house also. Ideas about window treatments are also needed. I like a non heavy look. I’d like to incorporate the orange stools and vases that are currently in the home into the decor. Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment. Your suggestions are highly appreciated! Natalie
    ...See More

Need help with family room layout/design

Q

Comments (8)
    it's a bit hard to answer in the abstract (i.e., are there other sitting rooms someplace?). my starting point would be adding more seating -- some day you may want to watch TV with more than two people at a time, or even have a conversation there! put a couch on the wall that has the play mats currently (without measurements, I'm just assuming there's still clearance to walk through -- otherwise, a pair of chairs with a table between them), and get a larger rug to unify the whole seating area/conversational grouping. if the current couch is too far from the TV for comfortable watching, you could move it up close the fireplace, leaving a walkway behind to the sliders. but again, I'm just guessing at scale here. otherwise, TV might be better lowered. I'd also switch the blue art behind the couch for the brown piece over the fireplace which will put both in better proportion to their settings.
    ...See More

Need help with living room design/layout!!

Q

Comments (3)
    Perhaps trying some nice artwork that matches your current color scheme would work on that blank wall. We also might suggest looking at getting a round coffee table, and perhaps an arc lamp to go in the corner. See our designs below for more ideas.
    ...See More
  • Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That was my concern about the bunks there -- safety/proximity to stairs, but not so much about privacy. If anyone was staying there the space would be treated as a bedroom in terms of entering unannounced.

I've been looking at Murphy beds and they are certainly on my list. They would have to be side opening due to the window placement though, so that changes things a bit. I think I can get a side opening queen sized bed there, and it would only take about 17" of depth from the wall.

Thanks for the input!

• Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for your input, KEB. As much as I love the look of the built-ins in the inspiration photo, I also feel like that would limit my future options to rearrange things easily. An air mattress is always a good option!

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

I'd put a game table out in front of the stairs, bar in that nook beside them, and a seating area out in the open space. Some options for overflow sleeping.

Bridget thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Love the game table idea, decoenthusiaste! And yes, I think an L shaped wet bar might be perfect in that nook space. I would love to have a bar "front" also that could have a couple of stools, but that might cost me too much floor space, and I guess we don't really need seats at a bar if we have more comfortable seating to lounge in and sip our drinks!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I do not understand windows placed so no one can see out unless they are 7 ft tall.

• chicagoans
    6 years ago

That's going to be a wonderful space! I like the ideas above. I'd also consider changing the swing door to a French slider to maximize the floor space on the deck. The swing door will take up room that could otherwise be used for chairs or a table.

Also if guests will occasionally stay there it would be nice to have some storage for them to put their things. It doesn't have to be a lot - just a few drawers (or a storage ottoman like above has a nice dual purpose) and maybe a couple of hooks for sweatshirts or jackets.

Bridget thanked chicagoans
  • Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Patricia, the windows are more for letting light in than viewing out of them, and are also dictated by the architecture and the roofline that surrounds them. The windows closer to the back where the deck is are larger, and this is also where the best views are. We would prefer to not have it a fishbowl environment. You may not care for it, but it works for us! Thanks for your input!

• Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, chicagoans! Living out of my suitcase during this build, your suggestion for guest storage space is an excellent one. I think the doors and windows have been ordered already or I would ask my builder about your French slider suggestion (and wish I had thought of that because you're right, that would open up the deck for better outdoor furniture layout). Thanks again!

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I can't see this as a space for overnight guests. Do you really want guests tripping down the stairs at 3 AM trying to find a bathroom? It's hard enough finding one in a strange house down the hall. Compound that with a dark stairway and it's trouble.

• Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Actually I don’t, which is why I had the architect plan in a powder room for the space in that niche next to the stairs. But I didn’t question his drawing in time, assuming he knew what he was doing, only to get to the framing stage to notice that the wall he had sketched in is too close to the windows. Technically I can still put it in, but I think it will create more problems than it will solve :/

So I guess it will only be overnight space for my more nimble guests with good bladders! And again, I was thinking of it as overflow space to be used only occasionally, we do have a guest bedroom.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

"The windows around the perimeter are set high -- bottom of window is at 6'-06" . . . "

Is your "observation" room for observing clouds?

• Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, rude much? Or maybe you haven’t read the rest of the thread? I guess it’s the somewhat anonymous nature of forum posting that allows otherwise nice people to make rude, unhelpful, and completely unnecessary comments online. Why would you even waste your own time in such a way?

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Is the 6'-06" a typo? " bottom of window is at 6'-06" and top of window is 8'-00", ceiling
    height is 9' at walls and goes up to about 12' in the center."

• Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No, not a typo. Maybe this will help, it’s the rear elevation of the house. As you can see the window placement is based on where the main roofline falls. Maybe it’s a coastal design thing that a lot of people are not familiar with?

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Thanks for rear elevation: the high windows act more like clerestory windows than viewing windows.

I'd go ahead with the powder room on this floor. It will be much better for all overnight guests and will give you flexibility on who can sleep where.

• Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ah yes, thank you! That’s a much better description for them! I’m very torn on this, keeping the powder room will mean choosing between asymmetrical window placement on the outside (not ideal but I could live with it), or asymmetry on the inside (imagine how the windows would look from the stairs landing, that would make me insane). But thanks for your input, I do appreciate it.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Your elevation shows windows lower than 6'6" from the floor. Additionally your third floor height according to your elevation is not 9' but 8'8" with an 8' high door. Meaning the door will be almost floor to ceiling.

This is how those windows will actually look if they are truly 6'6" off the floor. And if this is correct, then Mark is correct in that the windows will mean you can't see the water at all. Personally if I'm building a house on the water, I want water views from almost every room

• Suru
    6 years ago

I'm assuming that the windows (4) and (9) on each end of the room are larger and it's the windows (7) that are the ones that start at 6' - 6." Since you said your view will be out the door in back there shouldn't be a problem with the windows on the side so high up. What are the size of the windows indicated as #4?

If you don't have guests too often, I think I would just go with a sofa sleeper or an airbed. I have both and I put a 2" foam topper on them and they are both really comfortable (at least for a night or two). I also think that the area next to the stairs would be a great place for a full or half bath. The built-ins look really beautiful in your inspiration pic, but they will limit your other furniture placement.

Bridget thanked Suru
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

I'm assuming that the windows (4) and (9) on each end of the room are larger and it's the windows (7) that are the ones that start at 6' - 6."

I wouldn't assume anything since the OP also said the height of the room was 9'. It is on the two floors below but this top floor is 8' 8" high.

• Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, suru11, you have it exactly right. I like your suggestion of sofa sleeper or airbed, that would probably be the most flexible option. The windows identified as "7" are 36" wide and 18" tall. Thanks for your opinion!

• Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

cpartist, I agree about maximizing water views from the house -- every room in the house has water views except for most of the bathrooms, and even one of those has water views. And three of the four bedrooms opens to a covered porch facing the water. It's definitely something that was important to us and we've tried to plan for. And, ha! You caught me!! I was off by 4" on the ceiling height! Boy do I feel foolish now! I can't see how that will affect a layout design, but thanks for catching that for me!

• David Cary
    6 years ago

Can I ask why the 1st floor windows are non existent in the middle? Maybe we are not seeing the full elevation but what I see is a really narrow house that isn't maximizing the water views.

Certainly clerestory windows are common and probably more so at the coast. I think the initial confusion came from not seeing the rear elevation. But seeing it now makes we wonder - why that roof structure to create the need for such tiny windows?

We built a house on the ocean and the back of that house is nearly all glass - within reasonable structural limitations.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

Who was being rude?

• cdee18
    6 years ago
    Your observation room is fantastic. Looking at your inspiration picture reminds me of a the beach house we've stayed at. They have built-in benches in an alcove that double as extra beds if needed. They're pretty comfortable, especially if it's only for a few nights.
    A half bath up there would be convenient, but would block the view. Some nightlights in the stairwell could take care of guests who need to get up during the night.
    Bridget thanked cdee18
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

Can I ask why the 1st floor windows are non existent in the middle? Maybe we are not seeing the full elevation but what I see is a really narrow house that isn't maximizing the water views.

Because when you're on the water, the first floor is really a non floor in the sense that you can't have any livable rooms. I'm assuming the OP needs to be quite a few feet above sea level which is why the second and third floor rooms. That screening is probably for an outdoor seating space.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

What concerns me OP is the inspiration pic is nothing like what your interior will be with all those high windows. Personally I'd want to maximize views and light from all 4 sides like your inspiration pic.

• Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, cheryldavis1818! The built in benches are reminiscent of boat berths to me, so I agree they would be fine for spending a night or two there. I'm not too worried about views from that bath or blocking views, the water is to the other side of the house. I'm still on the fence about having that half bath added up there but will have to make a final decision soon as they will be framing that out next week.

• Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

With regard to the first floor windows, you just can't see them from this drawing -- what you see is the screened in back porch. But it is living space, and as cpartist alluded with regard to sea level, the main floor is 11' above waterline. But rest assured there are windows and full length glass doors. While I would have loved to have a rear wall of glass, that gets pretty expensive when they all have to be impact resistant (hurricane specs). We're trying to balance the dream house with the real world budget in hurricane ally. Also, with almost 600 square feet of back deck space over the three levels, we've got some pretty amazing views and outdoor living space.

cpartist, maybe I have a looser definition of "inspiration pic" than you do. Aside from the height of the windows (which I know will change the final outcome, obviously), there are other elements that I'd like to draw from it -- sort of that nautical vibe. Sorry you can't see my vision. And truly, the views are really to the back.

Anyway, if you have any helpful layout plan ideas of how you think the space would be best utilized, I'd love to hear them!

• Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

David, yours sounds like a really beautiful house! For our purposes I chose to go up to maximize views to the back. We don't have unlimited space to go wider, and I didn't really care for and of the floorplans I saw that fit our requirements. It all comes down to personal choice I guess. If you think this looks narrow, you should check out the beach homes on the Florida Gulf coast!

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I would actually put in a full bath with a shower. As a guest, I wouldn't want to have to go downstairs to shower either. You have plenty of room there for a full bath.

Make benches like your inspiration on the right side. As drawn they are twin bed sized with storage between them. That still leaves about 8' 9" of space. You could have a trundle like bed underneath for additional beds.

Where on the Gulf are you?

Bridget thanked cpartist
  • David Cary
    6 years ago

Didn't mean that it was too narrow of course. Beach houses are usually pretty narrow. The thought only is to not make them more narrow then they have to be. The screen makes sense now. But then what is on the middle of the second floor? I thought the screen was the 1st floor garage space or something.

But what the plan does is make the 3rd floor really narrow - which I see often. Looks good as an elevation. I have to admit that I am more practical and our house is boxy as a result - and we weren't allowed to have a 3rd floor. But that being said, can the roof structure be tweaked a bit to allow bigger windows on the side? I feel that 2 feet windows will not match your inspiration. Not asking for 6 ft windows, maybe 4 ft. It would still be a cool room but 4 ft windows would be better.

CPartist's floor plan is what I was thinking too - bathroom in the non water side. Don't forget sunsets of course. In our area, the newer houses tower over the old ranches - mostly 40 years old on our beach. So they can enjoy the sunsets on the sound side from higher floors. This of course assuming you are east facing for your water view but not sure if you have said that.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Well...lots of comments here. I find the proportions of the room to be simply too long and narrow for much 24-hour use. Interior clear space, without furnishings, is less than 12'. You may have children or young adults willing to climb the stairs to access the space, but apparently the only view is from the side with the door to the deck. The other windows, on other sides, will certainly allow light to fill the room, but the only view will be of the sky. For sleeping and 24-hour use you really need a 3-fixture bathroom, or at least a lavatory and WC. If you've spent the money to build the space, spend the additional money to make it habitable and comfortable. Good luck!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

I guess I was the one perceived to be rude. I apologize for I was only acting on the information given.

At the risk of being rude, if your "goal was to optimize the views as much as possible", why are you positioning a 12'-7" x 28'-0" observation room with the short wall towards the view? And in that 12'-0" interior dimension wall, only approximately seven feet of it is unobstructed glass at best. Granted the desire to optimize the views as much as possible may not have been communicated to the designer in the beginning of design of a coastal cottage, but even so I would think it would be a prudent thing to automatically include in the design without request. I would suggest redesigning the third floor, and if needed any other floor, to optimize the views as much as possible. And while the spaces are being redesigned (perhaps with a 28' wall towards the view), some thought of rooms' functions and furniture layout may be allowed for.

• Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

John, I appreciate your input but my request was for help with the layout of the space. I’m not redesigning the whole house. I’m sorry you don’t approve of my house plan. As surprising as it may seem to you, we actually like the plan and feel it is a good fit for both our lifestyle and also the lot, both of which you have no knowledge. Nothing personal, you’re probably a very nice man in person, but maybe you can see how your disparaging opinions on a subject I didn’t ask about may be unhelpful.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Or maybe MARK's (not John) comments are being made to help you see that there might be other possibilities that might better utilize the space. The room is quite long and narrow as mentioned by Virgil and I'm thinking it won't be the space you think it will be.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

Marcia,

Would this work?

Your enduring friend,

John

• Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, John, thank you for the correction. And that may be the case if it were at a different stage in the process. But it’s not. So they really are not helpful at all. It just comes across as disparaging. Do you see my perspective? Oy. I’m really not trying to be difficult, but that’s not the kind of advice I asked for, for a very specific reason. It’s like telling someone to remodel and move walls when they ask for help arranging the living room. As a matter of fact, it’s exactly like that.

Anyway, thank you to everyone for the well-intentioned advice! At this point it’s just causing more frustration than help, so I think it’s time to end this discussion.

• Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, Mark, actually that helps a lot! And thank you for taking the time to sketch that out, I do sincerely appreciate it.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

Just call me John.

• Bridget
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sorry about that! Reminds me of Paul Simon’s song “You Can Call Me Al” which he wrote after someone at a party kept calling him Al!