SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tara_polamalu

New Construction - Closing Date Issue

Tara P
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Can't believe that our new home is finally getting completed albeit with an hiccup.

Our builder notified us on Friday that they want us to close on 12/29. We had expected home to close in late Jan and are thrilled it's getting done sooner but have a genuine constraint that's preventing us from closing.

We will be out of town(infact out of country) that week of X-mas and won't return until 01/07. Builder insists we MUST close.

Contract says we can pay $500 penalty per calendar day if we move the date and we are willing to pay since changing our travel plans will cost us ~ 18K and more (nonrefundable airfare, hotel bookings etc and loss of family time - plus our child is turning 1 on Dec 30th and we had planned family get-together). This vacation was planned early(like in April) in the year and builder was made aware(alebit not in writing but verbally).

Builder says changing closing date or granting extension is their perogative and they will not grant an extension and we are at standstill.

Contract language below(see below)

Extension Fee/Revised Closing Date: Buyer does not have the right to extend, delay or postpone the Closing Date. If Buyer fails to consummate the acquisition of the Property on the Closing Date, Buyer shall be in default of this Purchase Agreement and Seller shall have the right to extend the Closing Date in its sole and absolute discretion, in addition to any remedy or right Seller may have under this Purchase Agreement. In the event that Seller extends the Closing Date, Buyer agrees to pay Seller an extension fee of Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00) for each calendar day that the Closing Date is postponed (the “Extension Fee”).

I contacted a regional sales manager and he wasn't budging either, he pointed out to the contract language(see below)

Buyer’s Default: If Buyer defaults in its obligations under this Purchase Agreement, Seller’s sole and exclusive remedy shall be to terminate this Purchase Agreement and retain the Earnest Money Deposit and Seller shall have no further obligation to Buyer with respect to the Property.

Got me thinking - what's the financial loss for builder to close on 01/07 as opposed to 12/29? I can't come up with a $ amount. I do know they get referral fee from their in-house lender and also, they plan on selling the mortgage to Wells Fargo or other big banks.

Should I contact someone higher up, like a VP of the organization? Has anyone been in the same shoes? Suggestions?

We were ready to pay the $500 fee as it will amount to $3500 as opposed to $18K...

All the discussion have occurred over emails/phone calls - should I send them a certified letter to request change of dates?

Note: Before you ask - No, we didn't hire an agent or a realtor nor have retained an attorney.

Comments (45)