SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimmk987

Please help me make this kitchen/dining room layout work!

kim k
6 years ago

We are planning to combine our kitchen and dining room sometime next summer. I'm using the IKEA kitchen planner (stumbling through it really) to come up with potential layouts but we don't currently plan to use IKEA cabinets.

I have my heart set on maintaining the current dining room area - my priority with this remodel is having a large table area for our family of 6 (2 adults, 4 sons ages 9 and younger) to eat at. My main problem with the current kitchen is the squishy eating area surrounded by doorways.

I need help determining if this layout could make sense though, the last thing I want to do is make my kitchen worse! We are going to hire a kitchen designer to measure and figure out exact cabinet sizes etc but I'd like to meet with them after I come up with a general idea what I layout and features I want to fit in.

A few things to note: the angled solid wall is actually the doorway to our family room, the planner wouldn't let me add an angled doorway. Also the 3 windows on the sink wall are a 3 bay window area that is bumped out in our current dining room.

Also of note in the plan I'm posting I:

• made the existing sun room door smaller (I'm picturing a glass french door where both sides open into the sun room)
  • removed the existing window above the sink
  • added windows to the dining room wall.
  • I also threw seating on the end of the island where I picture the kids hanging out, chatting, doing homework. We are not planning on ever eating at the island so those can go if they really don't work.
  • It's not clear from the layout but I have the DW and trash in the island, I need a spot for a MW too - where's best for this layout? drawer in island or wall?

I appreciate any and all suggestions!

CURRENT LAYOUT:

FLOOR PLAN:

POTENTIAL NEW LAYOUT:

Comments (10)